View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 8:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 41  Next
 Killer's Korner 
5th Round Pick - Traded

Post Re: Killer's Korner
Ben Franklin said that a penny saved is a penny earned. it is a simple concept that is poorly understood. Essentially, take care how you handle your assets because once they are gone you'll never get them back. Draft picks are assets. Millen demonstrate that picking WR until you finally get a good one puts your team behind the eight ball. Doubling down on players high in the draft for consecutive drafts is a luxury move. We did it under Mayhew with DT, RB and WR. Three other holes on this team that could have been filled by top talent not including the draft picks traded away and the draft position lost. This is known as penny smart and pound stupid.

Raiola is not an earth mover, never was and has not played on a Lions team that required one; still doesn't. Raiola is long in the tooth as NFL players go and we needed to draft a G/C to improve the line and groom to take his place if not replace him immediately and could have done so the year we pick Fairley. This was not a pick in support of the team, this was an attempt to get a steal. Already behind in addressing the offensive line this move put us another year back. The moves up for RB's and the moves for WR's hurt our ability to address the secondary and LB's. Just as you don't draft need in the face of poor talent, you don't ignore need simply to draft unnecessary talent. Teams that have established they are good and have few needs can afford to take such risks. Not the Lions.

This was a good draft in my opinion, but it was preceded by mostly poor ones. High on talent, low on addressing needs with that talent. Turn over is going to be costly next year when we get a new coach and Stafford is killing on the cap even though he is benched or gone. (no I don't think he is that good)

August 30th, 2013, 7:40 pm
3rd Round Selection

Detroit is apparently the home of the NFL's hottest hot seat: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... fcon-scale

Quote:
We’re finally here. After 113 days, the NFL kicks off tonight, and what better way to celebrate than by considering what might go horribly, horribly wrong for every single franchise. Every football season comes with the sort of major surprises none of us saw coming, and often, that involves a few teams that run into enough problems to see their entire season torpedoed. Last year, it was the Eagles, who shipped Andy Reid out of town despite nine trips to the playoffs since 2000.

Figuring out which franchises may be willing to blow it all up if things go south is a matter of looking at just how stable its leadership is. In order to take stock of where each NFL team sits, and figure out who’s closest to punching in the launch codes, we’re looking at the head coach and general manager for every franchise, how long they’ve been in place, and what that means for the panic level of both ownership and a team's fan base. (Just a reminder, the lower the DEFCON level, the more on alert everyone should probably be.) [...]

1. Detroit Lions

Head coach: Jim Schwartz (5 [years])
General manager: Martin Mayhew (5 [years])

It can all change so fast in the NFL. Two years ago, the Lions were the league’s best reclamation story — from 0-16 to the playoffs in just three years. Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson were the league’s next big things, and Ndamukong Suh was poised to be a one-man wrecking crew for the next decade. Then Detroit followed up its 10-6 season with a 4-12 finish, one that included a series of mental blunders and rampant discipline problems — both on and off the field. NFL teams have won plenty of games while employing less-than-perfect citizens, but Detroit’s issues have spilled onto the field in ways that have been detrimental. That, and losing games by challenging plays he can’t, is on Schwartz.

Mayhew may get a pass by virtue of not being Matt Millen (and really, the Lions have hit on three of their past four first-round picks, although picking in the top two tends to help), but if Schwartz and the Lions go through another season like they did last year, it’s likely over for him in Detroit.

DEFCON: 1

September 5th, 2013, 11:58 am
Hall of Fame Player

That Article is full of crap. There is no way on Earth that Schwartz and Mayhew are on hotter seats that Rex Ryan in New York.

September 6th, 2013, 10:30 am
Rookie Player of the Year

BillySims wrote:
That Article is full of crap. There is no way on Earth that Schwartz and Mayhew are on hotter seats that Rex Ryan in New York.

I was going to say the same thing. Maybe if you take the coach and GM together, then yes, they have the hottest seat.

September 6th, 2013, 1:04 pm
3rd Round Selection

The Jets came 2nd, and it was because it was GM and coach combined.

September 7th, 2013, 3:57 am
Hall of Fame Player

I still don't believe that Schwartz and Mayhew are on hot seats. At least not as hot as some wish they were.

Look how long it took the Fords to fire Millen. They gave the man a pay raise and an extension even though it was painfully obvious to anyone not named Ford that Millen was a buffoon. If I remember right, that pay raise even came after the Millen Man March. If they are that loyal to an inept buffoon when the team was nosediving, how much more loyal are they going to be with the tandem that has brought the team back from 0-16.

Sorry everyone that can't stand Schwartz and Mayhew. I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

September 7th, 2013, 11:33 am
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
I still don't believe that Schwartz and Mayhew are on hot seats. At least not as hot as some wish they were.

Look how long it took the Fords to fire Millen. They gave the man a pay raise and an extension even though it was painfully obvious to anyone not named Ford that Millen was a buffoon. If I remember right, that pay raise even came after the Millen Man March. If they are that loyal to an inept buffoon when the team was nosediving, how much more loyal are they going to be with the tandem that has brought the team back from 0-16.

Sorry everyone that can't stand Schwartz and Mayhew. I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Mayhew may not be on the hot seat as much as Schwartz, but I don't see much difference between Schwartz and Rex Ryan. Millen had 3 coaches in his 8 years, so there is no reason to think Schwartz doesn't have one foot out the door. Also lets not forget that this is much more Jrs team now than it was in the Millen era. It's not surprising they brought Schwartz back this year since its the first step backwards the team has taken and it's always possible that it was a fluke year, but I don't see them keeping Schwartz if they don't get a winning season.

September 7th, 2013, 12:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Mayhew may not be on the hot seat as much as Schwartz, but I don't see much difference between Schwartz and Rex Ryan. Millen had 3 coaches in his 8 years, so there is no reason to think Schwartz doesn't have one foot out the door. Also lets not forget that this is much more Jrs team now than it was in the Millen era. It's not surprising they brought Schwartz back this year since its the first step backwards the team has taken and it's always possible that it was a fluke year, but I don't see them keeping Schwartz if they don't get a winning season.

I agree with this, which is why im terrified of an 8-8 seasont hat gives them Justification to give Schwartz 1 more season. I want to see them fix the errors (especially the coaching errors.. its not his 1st year anymore) and get 9-10 wi9ns and a shot at playoffs, or i want them to lose a bunch and can at least Schwartz, if not both.

September 7th, 2013, 11:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Modmin Dude

Some good news...
PFT wrote:
Bush has no structural damage to his knee
Posted by Mike Florio on September 16, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT

Lions running back Reggie Bush may eventually suffer an injury that knocks him out for multiple games, but it hasn’t happened yet.

Per a league source, an MRI on Bush’s injured left knee shows no structural damage.

Bush admitted that he “wasn’t himself” after leaving the game and trying to return. He was confident the MRI would result in good news, and it has.

The Lions will need Bush if they hope to win in Washington on Sunday, where Detroit has a Millen-Marinelli-style 0-21 all-time record.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -his-knee/

September 17th, 2013, 9:08 am
RIP Killer

Looks like he hyperextended it again. He did it initially last week against minny

September 17th, 2013, 11:57 am

Greenwood signed off the PS by Dallas. There goes that one.

September 25th, 2013, 10:57 am
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Greenwood signed off the PS by Dallas. There goes that one.

Truthfully, they can have him. Injury prone, and wasn't very good when he was healthy. All he had was really good size for the position. His instincts sucked, and he often seemed overwhelmed and intimidated by playing on the big stage.

He'll be released in the upcoming weeks, I'll bet.

September 25th, 2013, 11:04 am

Terrible, terrible pick, right?

Quote:
Sam Martin garners NFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ek-honors/
Posted by Mike Wilkening on September 25, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Sam Martin
AP
Five punts of 50 yards or longer in Sunday’s win at Washington helped Lions rookie Sam Martin become the club’s first punter to win NFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors since 1993.

Martin, who had a 72-yard punt to begin the fourth quarter of the Lions’ 27-20 victory at Washington, was named the recipient of the conference’s weekly special teams honor by the NFL on Wednesday. The fifth-round pick from Appalachian State averaged 52.5 yards on six punts, posting a 40.7-yard net average.

According to the NFL, Jim Arnold was the last Lions punter to earn the NFC’s special teams award. For the record, Arnold captured the award for his work in the Lions’ 1993 regular-season finale against Green Bay, a game played at the old Pontiac Silverdome.

In addition to punting, Martin holds on placements and kicks off for Detroit, which is 2-1 entering Sunday’s game vs. 3-0 Chicago.

September 25th, 2013, 12:42 pm
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Terrible, terrible pick, right?

Quote:
Sam Martin garners NFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ek-honors/
Posted by Mike Wilkening on September 25, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Sam Martin
AP
Five punts of 50 yards or longer in Sunday’s win at Washington helped Lions rookie Sam Martin become the club’s first punter to win NFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors since 1993.

Martin, who had a 72-yard punt to begin the fourth quarter of the Lions’ 27-20 victory at Washington, was named the recipient of the conference’s weekly special teams honor by the NFL on Wednesday. The fifth-round pick from Appalachian State averaged 52.5 yards on six punts, posting a 40.7-yard net average.

According to the NFL, Jim Arnold was the last Lions punter to earn the NFC’s special teams award. For the record, Arnold captured the award for his work in the Lions’ 1993 regular-season finale against Green Bay, a game played at the old Pontiac Silverdome.

In addition to punting, Martin holds on placements and kicks off for Detroit, which is 2-1 entering Sunday’s game vs. 3-0 Chicago.

"We could have got him as an UDFA" is the answer you would have gotten if a certain someone was still around.

This years draft has really been much more pleasant then the previous ones.

September 25th, 2013, 1:28 pm
RIP Killer

FYI - Bush, Fox and Edwards all practiced today (as did Ziggy and Fairley). Delmas, CJ and Sims didn't practice but I haven't heard anything serious on them.

September 25th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 41  Next