View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 52  Next
 Lions Predictions 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Lions Predictions
Kevin Williams is out for Vikings, and Floyd gets the start. Couldn't be a better scenario for Warford to start his first game against someone he's played against multiple times.

September 6th, 2013, 4:58 pm
League MVP

Week 1 - vs. Minnesota - L
Lions lost this game twice last season, totally dominated late in the season and played miserably on ST in the home opener. Lions have a chance but Schwartz finds a way to lose the close ones.
Week 2 - at Arizona - L
Lions have a shot but Bruce Arians knows how to light up the Lions secondary and Arizona s defense should be very strong with the the leagues best and biggest cover corner.
Week 3 - at Washington - L
RG3 plus Alfred Morris and a moderately strong OL will give the Lions LB fits. This is the game where Louis Delmas gets reinjured.
Week 4 - vs. Chicago - W
Game will be an uphill battle but the Bears Defense is likely the weakest its been and the new offense has some kinks to work out.
Week 5 - at Green Bay - L
No explanation needed.
Week 6 - at Cleveland - L
The Browns are pretty good defensively with a scheme that will confuse the Lions young and untalented OL and Weeden is better with more targets than a year ago. Close road game.
Week 7 - vs. Cincinnati - W
This game will be a shootout and the Lions get enough pressure on Andy Dalton to force a few turnovers to win it at home.
Week 8 - vs. Dallas - W
Lions face a talented but incomplete team similar to themselves. Brandon Pettigrew catches a key pass plate to set up a winning Akers field goal.
Week 9 - BYE
Week 10- at Chicago- W
Bears depth tested at this point of the season and Lions play well coming out of the bye with a big upset of the Bears.
Week 11- at Pittsburgh - L
2nd tough road game in a row, just Lions miss a shot at .500 against a team having a down year.
Week 12 - vs. Tampa Bay - L
Tampa runs it well vs the Lions D and Darrelle Revis limits Calvin Johnson.
Week 13 - vs. Green Bay - L
This one gets ugly.
Week 14 - at Philadelphia - W
Vick might not be playing at this point in the season but with a rebuilt OL the Philly O will still put up some points but so will the Lions.
Week 15 - Dec. 16 - vs. Baltimore Ravens - W
Joe Flacco is more evasive than you think and has some nice targets. Stafford has a big game with Calvin and Bush having there biggest games of the season and the Lions best win of the year.
Week 16 - vs. NY Giants - L
Popular pick for a Lions win but I just dont see it.
Week 17 - at Minnesota - L
Schwartz last stand gets marred by personal fouls and undisciplined play. Adrian Peterson exceeds 2200 yards on the season.

There may be another win or two but this is not a playoff team. 8 wins will be enough to keep Schwartz for another season but this is a tough schedule and I think its far more likely the Lions win 5-7 games this year than get to the 9 or 10 they will need for the playoffs.

September 6th, 2013, 5:51 pm
Walk On

So Legend ... you say the Lions will beat the Bears twice, and the only explanation is that the Bear defense is "likely" the weakest it has been. So... since when, and based on what? Are you saying it because you really believe that, or just because you'd like it to be true?

The reason I'm asking is, you then say the Browns are good defensively so the Lions wont' beat them. So that must mean you think the Browns have a better defense than the Bears? Is that something you can say with a straight face? Or perhaps you think the Browns have a better offense than the Bears, to keep them in the game against the Lions? That seems like a stretch. But regardless, the Cincy game - a team with good defense AND a much better offense than the Browns - has you predicting a Lions win. So is actually having a good defense an indicator of a win against the Lions, or not?

And then you predict the Lions can't beat Arizona, Pittsburg or Tampa? You say the Cards corner and Revis will contain Megatron - but then why don't you acknowledge that Peanut Tillman was the only corner to shut Calvin down in his record-breaking year (and he held him to sub-par games twice)?

I don't get your assessment of these teams, or across teams - at all. It all seems like what you'd like to happen, vs insight into the teams/games.

September 6th, 2013, 6:29 pm
RIP Killer

I.E. wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Week 4 - vs. Chicago - W
Tough call, but I don't think the Bears offensive line is going to be playing as a cohesive unit yet. Also, there is still some questions about their secondary..

I've heard you mention this before, and really don't understand what questions you have about the Bear secondary. Maybe you could elaborate?

The Bears boast two probowl corners and a good young safety tandem (not stars - but solid and improving).

Tillman is aging, and I don't think he's the player he once was. Jennings good, can be overly aggressive at times which can be used against him. Conte and Wright are both good hitters, but I don't consider either to be strong in their coverage skills. I don't think the Bears have a bad defense, but I don't think they are immensely strong either. I think if the Lions are still somewhat healthy and win the first couple games they can ride that momentum to a victory. Definitely not a guaranteed win, but it's not like they'll be climbing Mt. Everest either.

September 6th, 2013, 8:11 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
I.E. wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Week 4 - vs. Chicago - W
Tough call, but I don't think the Bears offensive line is going to be playing as a cohesive unit yet. Also, there is still some questions about their secondary..

I've heard you mention this before, and really don't understand what questions you have about the Bear secondary. Maybe you could elaborate?

The Bears boast two probowl corners and a good young safety tandem (not stars - but solid and improving).

Tillman is aging, and I don't think he's the player he once was. Jennings good, can be overly aggressive at times which can be used against him. Conte and Wright are both good hitters, but I don't consider either to be strong in their coverage skills. I don't think the Bears have a bad defense, but I don't think they are immensely strong either. I think if the Lions are still somewhat healthy and win the first couple games they can ride that momentum to a victory. Definitely not a guaranteed win, but it's not like they'll be climbing Mt. Everest either.

Though I agree about Tillman, he sure does show up to play against CJ.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 6th, 2013, 10:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I.E. wrote:
So Legend ... you say the Lions will beat the Bears twice, and the only explanation is that the Bear defense is "likely" the weakest it has been. So... since when, and based on what? Are you saying it because you really believe that, or just because you'd like it to be true?

The reason I'm asking is, you then say the Browns are good defensively so the Lions wont' beat them. So that must mean you think the Browns have a better defense than the Bears? Is that something you can say with a straight face? Or perhaps you think the Browns have a better offense than the Bears, to keep them in the game against the Lions? That seems like a stretch. But regardless, the Cincy game - a team with good defense AND a much better offense than the Browns - has you predicting a Lions win. So is actually having a good defense an indicator of a win against the Lions, or not?

And then you predict the Lions can't beat Arizona, Pittsburg or Tampa? You say the Cards corner and Revis will contain Megatron - but then why don't you acknowledge that Peanut Tillman was the only corner to shut Calvin down in his record-breaking year (and he held him to sub-par games twice)?

I don't get your assessment of these teams, or across teams - at all. It all seems like what you'd like to happen, vs insight into the teams/games.

I'll take a stab at it:
-No Lovie
-Question marks at the linebacker position (which has traditionally been a strength)
-Lack of depth on the d-line
-All of the good players are one year older

September 7th, 2013, 10:56 am
Walk On

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I.E. wrote:

I'll take a stab at it:
-No Lovie
-Question marks at the linebacker position (which has traditionally been a strength)
-Lack of depth on the d-line
-All of the good players are one year older

Tucker is running Lovie's D - but from the looks of it going to be a bit more aggressive and experimental. It is something to watch - but I don't think it is fair to predict it will be a negative.

I'd argue the LBs are far better now than the past 2 years, and finally have some good depth (although young).

They really like Paea and Collins. Plus both Peppers and Wooten are big & strong enough to play inside, giving them some pretty good flexibility ... Tucker isn't married to the 4-3, so I'll guess there be some unconventional defensive looks coming including some 3-4 looks like Indy did with Freeney (as opposed to Lovie's philosophy of keeping it simple and doing it well).

People have said the Bear D was aging for years... but that just hasn't been the case. Urlacher slowing was real - but these other guys - Peppers, Briggs, Tillman - appear to have and least a year or two of peak left, and the D is young and talented behind them.

So not to derail the topic. I think the Lions have a lot ton talent on the team. I think they're a lot like the Bears last year - where the talent shows early, but then the wheels come off late in the season again, simply demonstrating that the coaching staff has to go.

And my point to Legend wasn't so much intended to be about the Bears ... but the bizarre inconsistency in the predictions. If his point was just to predict the final season record without applying specific rationale to individual games, then he should have just said that Vs giving explanations that don't make sense and contradict each other.

September 7th, 2013, 2:21 pm
League MVP

I.E. wrote:

good points, I see em winning 6 take the individual games with a grain of salt. easily could win both vs Vikings and lose both vs bears instead or split vs both teams. don't take offense to it bc your a bears fan. I see the lions winning 2 division games and I think they match up better vs the bears vs the other teams.

and yes I like the browns secondary more than the bears. plus the 3-4 defense will give the Lions fits with a young OL and mixing up pass protection. Gordon will be back at that point of season and the lions struggled with Jordan Cameron and Gordon in preseason. bears worse w loss of urlacher and a coach that emphasizes offense more than D. Lovie was a great defensive coach with a great coordinator in Marinelli and both are gone. I don't see bears offensive personnel as great, like Richardson more than forte, browns OL>>> bears OL. Marshall being the big difference maker, martellus bennet a nice sign but a perennial underachiever.

Arizona and Pittsburgh are road games also, and both play a 3-4. Tampa already has a great run defense, good enough interior pass rush, added Revis and have a great runner to go with 2 big wideouts. Calvin didn't play vs Revis last year so I don't get what your point is. the lions played an Arizona team in shambles and got crushed, they ve got the same D, a better QB and a better offensive coach. I think Tillman s a good player if that makes you feel better and he generally does a nice job vs calvin. I think its possible lions win some of those games and lose others I ve predicted them to win but I don't believe each team gets a numerical grade and beats all teams below that grade and loses to all teams above that grade. im trying to think of certain factors about each team that affect matchups.

im not overly impressed with cincy defense or their ability to control clock, i think the lions can shoot it out with them and win at home.

September 8th, 2013, 3:33 pm
Walk On

The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:

good points, I see em winning 6 take the individual games with a grain of salt. easily could win both vs Vikings and lose both vs bears instead or split vs both teams. don't take offense to it bc your a bears fan. I see the lions winning 2 division games and I think they match up better vs the bears vs the other teams.

and yes I like the browns secondary more than the bears. plus the 3-4 defense will give the Lions fits with a young OL and mixing up pass protection. Gordon will be back at that point of season and the lions struggled with Jordan Cameron and Gordon in preseason. bears worse w loss of urlacher and a coach that emphasizes offense more than D. Lovie was a great defensive coach with a great coordinator in Marinelli and both are gone. I don't see bears offensive personnel as great, like Richardson more than forte, browns OL>>> bears OL. Marshall being the big difference maker, martellus bennet a nice sign but a perennial underachiever.

Arizona and Pittsburgh are road games also, and both play a 3-4. Tampa already has a great run defense, good enough interior pass rush, added Revis and have a great runner to go with 2 big wideouts. Calvin didn't play vs Revis last year so I don't get what your point is. the lions played an Arizona team in shambles and got crushed, they ve got the same D, a better QB and a better offensive coach. I think Tillman s a good player if that makes you feel better and he generally does a nice job vs calvin. I think its possible lions win some of those games and lose others I ve predicted them to win but I don't believe each team gets a numerical grade and beats all teams below that grade and loses to all teams above that grade. im trying to think of certain factors about each team that affect matchups.

im not overly impressed with cincy defense or their ability to control clock, i think the lions can shoot it out with them and win at home.

Yeah ... there was a lot of hype about the Cincy D - but the Bear Oline kept them in check. They had some good pressure from the DEs a couple of times, and that's about it. Kyle Long made Geno Atkins literally disappear... pretty amazing to watch. The Suh/Long battle is going to be fun to watch.

September 8th, 2013, 6:54 pm
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
Week 1 - Sept. 8 - vs. Minnesota Vikings - W I am not a Ponder believer and Peterson will not repeat last season. I predict lots of pain for Ponder. W But, man that game was maddening. The 1st half was a comedy of errors. But, cudos to the Lions for not getting down and giving up.
Week 2 - Sept. 15 - at Arizona Cardinals - L I am glad we get this game early. Hopefully, Palmer hasn't jelled with Fitz yet. But, I suspect he already has.
Week 3 - Sept. 22 - at Washington Redskins - W The Lions have never won a game in the nations capitol. It's time we Slay ( see what I did there?) that dragon.
Week 4 - Sept. 29 - vs. Chicago Bears - W It's in our house. Our D Line dominates. Cutler throws 2 pick 6's.
Week 5 - Oct. 6 - at Green Bay Packers - W The Laimbeau losing streak ends now. All things must come to an end sometime. This one goes down this year.
Week 6 - Oct. 13 - at Cleveland Browns - L A let down after an emotional win.
Week 7 - Oct. 20 - vs. Cincinnati Bengals - L The Bengals are good. Really good.
Week 8 - Oct. 27 - vs. Dallas Cowboys - W Cowboys D-line is already the walking wounded.
Week 9 - BYE
Week 10 - Nov. 10 - at Chicago Bears - W Lions are looking for a sweep of the division. D-Line dominates again.
Week 11 - Nov. 17 - at Pittsburgh Steelers - L Sorry, but, it's in Pittsburgh.
Week 12 - Nov. 24 - vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - W This goes to O.T.
Week 13 - Nov. 28 - vs. Green Bay Packers - W Lions still perfect in the division and win on a national stage and lock in a playoff spot.
Week 14 - Dec. 8 - at Philadelphia Eagles - W Vick will be paralyzed by now.
Week 15 - Dec. 16 - vs. Baltimore Ravens - W if this was in Baltimore it's a loss.
Week 16 - Dec. 22 - vs. New York Giants - L Eli needs a win to make the playoffs. He gets it.
Week 17 - Dec. 29 - at Minnesota Vikings - W Vikings playing for draft position.

11-5 We win the division and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. There is a huge blizzard during the SB and NE Patriots win the game because they are a northern team that actually plays outside and as such, are more used to the weather. But, hey, at least we finally made it to the show.

September 8th, 2013, 8:47 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I.E. wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Yeah ... there was a lot of hype about the Cincy D - but the Bear Oline kept them in check. They had some good pressure from the DEs a couple of times, and that's about it. Kyle Long made Geno Atkins literally disappear... pretty amazing to watch. The Suh/Long battle is going to be fun to watch.

Well, Lions and Bears tied at the top with a 1 game lead. But, I. E. Your prediction of the Lions going 0 for the division this year is already wrong. LOL.

September 8th, 2013, 8:49 pm
Walk On

Haha... no kidding! That's cool - the Vikes are my most hated team. I love AP as a player, though.

Now let's go get the Packers!

September 8th, 2013, 10:01 pm
RIP Killer

I'm starting to become a Seahawks fan. I love their jerseys and I am beyond jealous of how they've built their secondary.

September 8th, 2013, 10:20 pm
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
I'm starting to become a Seahawks fan. I love their jerseys and I am beyond jealous of how they've built their secondary.

Yeah the Lions DBs could use some PEDs also.

September 8th, 2013, 11:07 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I.E. wrote:
Haha... no kidding! That's cool - the Vikes are my most hated team. I love AP as a player, though.

Now let's go get the Packers!

And I.E., I have to give it up: you were right about your Bears (for at least one week). Tillman is just an awesome player.

September 9th, 2013, 8:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 52  Next