View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Report: Suh facing league discipline for low block against V 
Modmin Dude

Post Report: Suh facing league discipline for low block against V
PFT wrote:
Report: Suh facing league discipline for low block against Vikings
Posted by Josh Alper on September 9, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT

Lions coach Jim Schwartz said that he won’t apologize for anything the Lions did in their victory over the Vikings, a list of things that includes defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh’s low block on Vikings center John Sullivan during an interception return.

The play drew a flag as an illegal block, wiping out a Lions touchdown as DeAndre Levy had returned the pick all the way to the end zone. According to Suh, the appearance that he was trying to take out Sullivan’s knees was deceiving.

“I wasn’t by any means going for his knees,” Suh said after the game. “He knows that. We had a great conversation running out at halftime, and he understood. My aim was his waist to cut him off.”

Sullivan said he was surprised he wasn’t hurt on the play and Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, who knows a thing or two about doling out low hits, expressed his disapproval as well. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the league is also less than thrilled with Suh’s move and the Lion will face discipline from the league as a result.

There’s no word on what that discipline might be. If it is a suspension, Schwartz might not be apologetic but he’ll probably be sorry that Suh threw a low block.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-vikings/

September 9th, 2013, 10:20 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Report: Suh facing league discipline for low block again
ESPN wrote:
Ndamukong Suh faces NFL discipline
Updated: September 9, 2013, 10:20 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is facing discipline from the NFL for diving at the knees of an opposing player during Sunday's game against the Minnesota Vikings, a league official told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The controversial play occurred during an interception return by Lions linebacker DeAndre Levy, who scored a touchdown to give Detroit the lead. But the touchdown was nullified because Suh was whistled for an illegal low block against Vikings center John Sullivan, who was well behind the play.

Suh's block drew a 15-yard penalty and the attention of the league office. The two-time Pro Bowler claimed, however, that he was not attempting to injure Sullivan.

"I wasn't by any means going for his knees," Suh said following Detroit's 34-24 victory. "He knows that. We had a great conversation running out at halftime, and he understood. My aim was his waist to cut him off."

Sullivan was surprised that he didn't suffer a serious injury on the play and claimed he did not see Suh coming at him, saying "that was bad."

"I missed the shot of it, but the guys were telling me about it," Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said. "Nobody thought that was a good play, and the fact they got a penalty because of it, tells you it wasn't a good play. You hate to see guys go low on players. You've seen the results of it, so it's not a good thing when it happens."

Vikings defensive end Jared Allen also disapproved of Suh's low block.

"[Suh] is a good dude, but that's uncalled for," Allen said. "This is a fraternity. In the NFL, you try to take care of guys. Things happen, and guys are going to make hits. But you can't take a dude's legs out from behind on an interception return down the field.

"He plays hard. I like his style of play. But if you end a guy's career like that, it's just uncalled for."

The low block was not the first time that the 26-year-old Suh has been questioned for a controversial penalty. He was suspended two games in 2011 for stomping on the arm of Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith during a Thanksgiving Day game.

Suh also made headlines in last year's Thanksgiving game, when he kicked Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin, drawing a fine from the NFL.

But Suh insisted that he was simply "trying to make a block" on Sullivan during Sunday's contest.

"On that particular play, I'm looking to make a block and I see Sullivan, which I find out later who it was," Suh said. "I think it was Levy who had the pick-six. I'm just trying to make a block and really cut him off so he doesn't get a chance to get a hold of him.

"I spoke to [Sullivan]. We're good, and that's all that matters."

Information from ESPN.com's Ben Goessling and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96534 ... ta-vikings

September 9th, 2013, 10:28 am
RIP Killer

I think it's BS that he faces league discipline for that. Last year, that would not have been penalized. If the NFL was so damn concerned, they'd look at game tapes and see just how often O-linemen go after the knees of D-linemen, and how often RBs who are pass blocking drop low to hit pass rushers in the knees. Are they going to flag that? Are they going to discipline players for that?

And one more thing...what about Clay Matthews and his BS tackle out of bounds on Kaepernick? Are they going to 'discipline' him for that maneuver? Talk about blatant! If the league is going to discipline Suh, they had better triple to suspension for Matthews. His move was FAR, FAR worse. If Suh had done that, you'd hear no end of it.

Also, the league has to do something about this "Calvin Johnson rule" that is being used inconsistently so much. Calvin gets his TD taken away, yet I see a couple different instances in different games where the players doing the EXACT same thing were allowed their TDs. WTF??!! That is the singular WORST rule in the NFL, and it has ALWAYS been more a judgement call than a hard, fast rule as applied. Absolutely embarrassing for the league.

September 9th, 2013, 10:37 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
I think it's BS that he faces league discipline for that. Last year, that would not have been penalized. If the NFL was so damn concerned, they'd look at game tapes and see just how often O-linemen go after the knees of D-linemen, and how often RBs who are pass blocking drop low to hit pass rushers in the knees. Are they going to flag that? Are they going to discipline players for that?

And one more thing...what about Clay Matthews and his BS tackle out of bounds on Kaepernick? Are they going to 'discipline' him for that maneuver? Talk about blatant! If the league is going to discipline Suh, they had better triple to suspension for Matthews. His move was FAR, FAR worse. If Suh had done that, you'd hear no end of it.

Also, the league has to do something about this "Calvin Johnson rule" that is being used inconsistently so much. Calvin gets his TD taken away, yet I see a couple different instances in different games where the players doing the EXACT same thing were allowed their TDs. WTF??!! That is the singular WORST rule in the NFL, and it has ALWAYS been more a judgement call than a hard, fast rule as applied. Absolutely embarrassing for the league.

Totally agree. Dumb penalty by Suh (especially because it wiped out a TD), but I feel like this is a case of the league wanting to make an example out of someone and Suh being an easy target.

In general, this is one place where our reputation gets us in trouble: we NEVER get the benefit of the doubt. You see it with Suh. You see it with Calvin. I don't think the refs do it intentionally--it's more of an ingrained practice.

September 9th, 2013, 10:42 am
Modmin Dude

thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Totally agree. Dumb penalty by Suh (especially because it wiped out a TD), but I feel like this is a case of the league wanting to make an example out of someone and Suh being an easy target.

In general, this is one place where our reputation gets us in trouble: we NEVER get the benefit of the doubt. You see it with Suh. You see it with Calvin. I don't think the refs do it intentionally--it's more of an ingrained practice.
Suh being a repeat offender is rather likely to get suspended IMO, perhaps the ONLY reason he doesn't is because this is a new rule.

On Mathews' hit: I agree that the league should punish him further, tho likely it will be only a fine unless Matthews is a repeat offender.

September 9th, 2013, 10:57 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:

+ 1

September 9th, 2013, 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On

Suh has a deserved reputation as a dirty/cheap shot. I blame his coach, and I believe it hurts the Lions. It starts with the coaching staff. They're responsible for Suh's actions. He's a great player - but could be even better.

September 9th, 2013, 3:23 pm
RIP Killer

I.E. wrote:
Suh has a deserved reputation as a dirty/cheap shot. I blame his coach, and I believe it hurts the Lions. It starts with the coaching staff. They're responsible for Suh's actions. He's a great player - but could be even better.

He hasn't done anything in the past two years. Watch the play again. It wasn't an intended shot at the knees, it was a hit that originated just below the waist. The shot Kevin Williams took was much worse...no flag, no fine, so suspension.

You and others just have a cross hairs on Suh. The officials do as well, and it's utterly ridiculous. Same thing with Calvin Johnson and that stupid phucking rule. Calvin has both feet down and reaches across the end zone, breaks the plane, and he loses the football after making contact with the ground. No TD. Victor Cruz and Jordy Nelson do the EXACT same things in their games...touchdown called.

I saw numerous instances of blocks just like the one Suh threw, and no flags, no announcers yelling foul, no nothing. Watch a replay of the Giants-Cowboys game from last night and you'll see players hitting other players low on interceptions. No calls, no media explosions.

And something else to consider...Suh was penalized and fined for two instances on plays that were NOT against the rules. The much advertised hit on Cutler, that was perfectly legal. And the 'horse collar' tackle on Marion Barber that was NOT a horse collar (he got him by the hair). He was penalized AND fined for both, yet both were perfectly within the rules.

Absolutely outrageous, and absolute garbage.

What Clay Matthews did was FAR, FAR worse, and he'll likely get his hand slapped and his dicck sucked by Goodell. He hit a QB around the head (illegal), hit him well out of bounds (illegal) and then punches an opposing player TWICE (illegal), yet gets only one flag. The punching should have been an automatic ejection. AUTOMATIC!! It's in the rules. Yet the guy who didn't throw a punch (Joe Staley) gets flagged...for WHAT?! Taking a punch?!

The NFL is a joke of a league when it comes to the application of the rules. They have obvious good guys, and obvious villains, just like the WWE. And like the WWE, this is going to Hell in a handbasket real fast.

Just put these guys in the same uniforms as the lingerie league already.

September 9th, 2013, 4:26 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
I.E. wrote:

He hasn't done anything in the past two years. Watch the play again. It wasn't an intended shot at the knees, it was a hit that originated just below the waist. The shot Kevin Williams took was much worse...no flag, no fine, so suspension.

You and others just have a cross hairs on Suh. The officials do as well, and it's utterly ridiculous. Same thing with Calvin Johnson and that stupid phucking rule. Calvin has both feet down and reaches across the end zone, breaks the plane, and he loses the football after making contact with the ground. No TD. Victor Cruz and Jordy Nelson do the EXACT same things in their games...touchdown called.

I saw numerous instances of blocks just like the one Suh threw, and no flags, no announcers yelling foul, no nothing. Watch a replay of the Giants-Cowboys game from last night and you'll see players hitting other players low on interceptions. No calls, no media explosions.

And something else to consider...Suh was penalized and fined for two instances on plays that were NOT against the rules. The much advertised hit on Cutler, that was perfectly legal. And the 'horse collar' tackle on Marion Barber that was NOT a horse collar (he got him by the hair). He was penalized AND fined for both, yet both were perfectly within the rules.

Absolutely outrageous, and absolute garbage.

What Clay Matthews did was FAR, FAR worse, and he'll likely get his hand slapped and his dicck sucked by Goodell. He hit a QB around the head (illegal), hit him well out of bounds (illegal) and then punches an opposing player TWICE (illegal), yet gets only one flag. The punching should have been an automatic ejection. AUTOMATIC!! It's in the rules. Yet the guy who didn't throw a punch (Joe Staley) gets flagged...for WHAT?! Taking a punch?!

The NFL is a joke of a league when it comes to the application of the rules. They have obvious good guys, and obvious villains, just like the WWE. And like the WWE, this is going to Hell in a handbasket real fast.

Just put these guys in the same uniforms as the lingerie league already.

Larry Warford in lingerie.......Gross!

Other than that totally agree. Suh has become unable to make a mistake or even play aggressive without threat of a suspension and it will continue to happen because the Lions are not a team with a big fan base around the country.

September 9th, 2013, 5:30 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I.E. wrote:

Thats awesome, I.E. Truly groundbreaking stuff

September 9th, 2013, 5:52 pm
Walk On

Hey - I'm just saying that Schwartz teaches this to his team ... either directly, or by not disciplining. It isn't just Suh - but he's the poster boy.

Lions fans don't like hearing it, and they don't like seeing the calls. Well, my answer is "if you like the behavior then learn to live with the results... because the league and the refs are watching & have sent a clear message that one will continue with the other".

September 9th, 2013, 6:29 pm
League MVP

im not the most up to date on the NFL rulebook but to me, Suh's block is a clipping penalty in any year and at any level of football. its a clear illegal clipping penalty. someone please update me on the new rule bc all i remember hearing about is the "peel back" blocks. on the other hand, the league is in for a long season if they are going to suspend every clip, arent they? i think its a clear penalty but as a suspendable offense i think its ridiculous.

September 9th, 2013, 8:16 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Clipping is a block in the back. Suh was in front of the player and side cracked down. Last year this was completely legal. But you're right, clipping is and always has been a penalty. The ref got it wrong when he called it a block in the back, and the media has been repeating that he hit him from behind, which is false.

September 9th, 2013, 8:20 pm
RIP Killer

I.E. wrote:
Hey - I'm just saying that Schwartz teaches this to his team ... either directly, or by not disciplining. It isn't just Suh - but he's the poster boy.

Lions fans don't like hearing it, and they don't like seeing the calls. Well, my answer is "if you like the behavior then learn to live with the results... because the league and the refs are watching & have sent a clear message that one will continue with the other".

I don't think he teaches it to them, but certainly he doesn't do enough to dissuade them from doing some dumb things. I'll agree to that.

However, as for the calls, you can talk about that all day. Lions get screwed over and over again. Just look at the CJ call yesterday, as compared to the Cruz and Nelson plays. Two out of three are TDs. And all are basically the same exact play. That's the kind of BS I'm talking about. A few years ago I can recall DeAngelo Hall taking a cheap shot at Jon Kitna while he was with the Lions. Hall never got a call against him. If it had been Suh, the flag would have been thrown, the Lions would have at least gotten a bench warning, and Suh would have been facing discipline.

It's no different than in the NBA, where 'elite' players are allowed to travel, while others are not. Elite players can argue calls, but other players with a reputation get a technical if they even roll their eyes. Baseball does the same with balls and strikes. It's ludicrous.

As an official of the game, you aren't supposed to allow reputation to throw your flag for you. You judge by what is being done in the moment. No different than a person brought to trial may have a long criminal past, but that has no bearing on the trial they are in today. For the sentencing, different story.

I'll give you a further 'for instance'...in the GB-SF game, during the altercation with Staley and Matthews, some of the Green Bay players left the bench area when the scrum began. That is supposed to be a penalty, and any player directly involved is supposed to be ejected. Where were the calls? That situation got so f-ed up by that officiating crew, it isn't even close to being funny. Flag the guy who doesn't throw a punch, don't eject the guy who does, don't flag the bench for having guys leave it to get involved in a fight......I'm surprised they didn't flag Kaepernick for not staying in bounds.

Clay Matthews has received personal fouls for late hits in the past. He's gotten flagged for roughing the passer in the past. Why hasn't he been fined? Why hasn't he been suspended? Ndamukong Suh got called for one personal foul all of last year. Matthews basically said the way to beat the 49ers was to take out the QB. Imagine if Suh had said something to that effect? He'd have been fined just for that statement.

There's a double standard, and you know it. So do a whole lot of others. But because it's Suh, they don't care.

September 9th, 2013, 8:47 pm
Walk On

Oh, I do know it, man - I think it is perfectly clear that the league is "emphasizing" some things more than others.... including isolating on the behavior of some individual players.. that's what I mean when I say Suh has a rep, and why I'm not arguing about the specifics of a call - because what's the point of that? I think they don't want any bad guys in the league... so if they perceive someone is enjoying being one, they'll act. That's why Matthews and other players can occasionally get away with something cheap - while guys like Suh can't. It is almost like he's used up all his good will, and needs to earn some back.

To me, that's clearly demonstrated through the calls of the officials. So from that point isn't it kind of unconstructive to complain about the details of the rules and about being ripped off? What's that going to accomplish? I think the best direction of the complaints should be the dunderheaded play of the team/leadership of the coach - about their inability to recognize that they have to clean it up a bit. That's the only thing that is going to change, or can change. The league isn't going to say, "oh sorry - technically you're right on that call yesterday, so we're going to now let Suh continue to build on a reputation we don't like".

Maybe I'm wrong on what's going on. I do agree that the Lions get calls sometimes that other teams don't. The only explanation I can think of is the league is targeting behavior & sending messages intentionally until they are understood.

September 9th, 2013, 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next