View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 10:41 pm



Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Random week 1 thoughts 
Author Message
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Random week 1 thoughts
So, some random thoughts from the game:

Positives:

A win. And against a divisional rival.

Bush and how he seems to have opened up this offense. Looks like an excellent pick up for the Lions - loved the way he played, and the mismatches he caused elsewhere. Bell looked great, too.

The new look o-line coped ok, even with Fox going down. It wasn't a stellar performance, and the Vikes were down a starting DT, but much more solid than many had feared. I was pleased with how Reiff held up vs one of the leagues better pass rushers in Allen - a decent start for him.

Stafford looked like a different guy to pre-season Stafford. Composed, accurate, going through his reads well and spreading the ball out. Would have had even better stats without some awful drops.

Patrick Edwards showed he deserved his roster spot. Played well, again much better than pre-season. With Burleson also stepping up, and Broyles coming back, we may not be as weak at receiver as I'd feared.

FAURIA!

D-Line played well. Young stepped up, I like the FA D-ends and I thought Ansah showed flashes of what got him picked where he was. Suh and Fairley played well, too, as you'd hope.

Levy looked almost twice the player he's looked in the past.

Martin looks like a good addition - given our historic coverage woes, having someone who consistently bangs it out of the back of the endzone on kick offs is a plus (although I have huge worries that the coverage unit gets complacent, and on the odd times he doesn't get a touchback they give up a big return - nearly happened with one Vikings return but Carey made a huge tackle). His punting got better as the game went on.

Negatives:

Too much knucklehead stuff. Drops. Fumbles. Penalties. If this was a one off, it wouldn't be so bad. The Lions really, really need to change the record. No way you beat the Packers of this world with play like that, no matter how well you play in the remainder of the game.

Schwatrz' reaction to the knucklehead stuff, according to the sideline reporter. He's ok with in game penalties? Why? Should we not be striving for higher standards than that? I get that in game stuff is going to happen, mistakes are going to be made from time to time. But can he not see that we make way more mistakes like that than your average NFL team and that this should therefore be correctable? Not even asking the players to try and cut it out is just crazy to me.

I thought the D played well, but we still gave up 24pts. There's no point shutting down an offense for 90% of the game if you give up 24pts in the 10% you don't.

Secondary didn't look great. They didn't look awful, either, but I don't rate the Vikings' passing attack. I hope this was down in part to a game plan that prioritised stopping the run (a sensible approach vs the Vikes) but I worry about how this unit will fare against the NFL's elite passing teams. We're also one injury at any position away from starting some worrying players.

At LB, Palmer did better than I expected but still looks well short of being an average NFL starter. As with DB, we're 1 injury away from a terrible unit IMO.

Overall: pleased, frustrated, excited and concerned - probably in that order. I can see us beating any team on our schedule. I can see us losing to any team on our schedule.


September 9th, 2013, 5:24 am
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: December 18th, 2008, 9:18 am
Posts: 778
Location: Where I lay my head is home
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
You forgot one Mr. Pettigrew in your list. Any hopes I had of him "working to improve his hands" is gone, and add to that the fumble. The guy is a blocking backup tight end at best, and he should be paid like one. Resign him this offseason if he's willing to take a significant pay cut, or cut him.

Other than that, I agree with your thoughts. I sure hope the first half issues are just rust and nerves, otherwise, we're in for a long season of disappointments.


September 9th, 2013, 5:52 am
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
Yes - I was including him in the general "knucklehead" category - but given his history of the droppsies, he probably deserved his own entry.

This really is a make or break season for him. And on the evidence of yesterday, it's looking like break.


September 9th, 2013, 5:57 am
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2815
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
You're taking the in-game penalties comments completely wrong. He didn't say in-game. He said penalties during the play. They show you're playing hard. He can live with that. He's not happy with the penalties that happen outside of the play, like the false starts, offsides, taunting, etc.. He's not o with those and those are the ones that hurt us the most.


September 9th, 2013, 6:04 am
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
NJ - I understood what he meant, the difference between a personal foul for roughing the passer vs a personal foul for taunting, for example. Or a hold vs a false start.

I agree with the distinction. I would come down much harder on the "outside the play" stuff than I would the "during the play" stuff. But I think that giving a "free pass" for the during the play stuff is still wrong, though. Players should still be accountable for that.

Some of it will be borderline stuff where you wouldn't have a go at a player for doing it, because you don't want them to fear going close to that line. Some of it players should be pulled up on, though, IMO: the hold by Pett, the block by Suh (yes, understandable given the change in rules - but he should be told "don't do that again, there was no need" not "it's ok, it was in play stuff").


September 9th, 2013, 6:24 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1400
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
UK Lion wrote:
NJ - I understood what he meant, the difference between a personal foul for roughing the passer vs a personal foul for taunting, for example. Or a hold vs a false start.

I agree with the distinction. I would come down much harder on the "outside the play" stuff than I would the "during the play" stuff. But I think that giving a "free pass" for the during the play stuff is still wrong, though. Players should still be accountable for that.

Some of it will be borderline stuff where you wouldn't have a go at a player for doing it, because you don't want them to fear going close to that line. Some of it players should be pulled up on, though, IMO: the hold by Pett, the block by Suh (yes, understandable given the change in rules - but he should be told "don't do that again, there was no need" not "it's ok, it was in play stuff").


Baltimore, Seattle, San Fran, Green Bay, and Houston all had more penalty yards last year than the Lions. Those teams all seemed to have done pretty well last year. The whole penalty thing is way over blown because of Suh and all the trouble the team got into in last years off season. Schwartz is absolutely correct in only caring about the out of play penalties because those are self control issues and show a lack of discipline, but the in play penalties a a given if you want to be a physical defense like San Fran and the others.

Also what Schwartz says he's concerned with is one thing, all those players still have to go back to their position coaches who are going to be a hell of a lot more nit picky about their play.


September 9th, 2013, 9:14 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2345
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
DayDreamer wrote:
You forgot one Mr. Pettigrew in your list. Any hopes I had of him "working to improve his hands" is gone, and add to that the fumble. The guy is a blocking backup tight end at best, and he should be paid like one. Resign him this offseason if he's willing to take a significant pay cut, or cut him.

Other than that, I agree with your thoughts. I sure hope the first half issues are just rust and nerves, otherwise, we're in for a long season of disappointments.


This hasn't been looked at a lot, but I think it's really important for Stafford to build a rapport with his receivers--he has to trust them before he will throw to them consistently. Staff obviously used to have that trust in Pett, but I think it's rapidly slipping away. Same goes for Scheff. Good thing we got two TEs this offseason!

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 9th, 2013, 9:32 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
UK Lion wrote:
So, some random thoughts from the game:

Positives:

A win. And against a divisional rival.

Bush and how he seems to have opened up this offense. Looks like an excellent pick up for the Lions - loved the way he played, and the mismatches he caused elsewhere. Bell looked great, too.

The new look o-line coped ok, even with Fox going down. It wasn't a stellar performance, and the Vikes were down a starting DT, but much more solid than many had feared. I was pleased with how Reiff held up vs one of the leagues better pass rushers in Allen - a decent start for him.

Stafford looked like a different guy to pre-season Stafford. Composed, accurate, going through his reads well and spreading the ball out. Would have had even better stats without some awful drops.

Patrick Edwards showed he deserved his roster spot. Played well, again much better than pre-season. With Burleson also stepping up, and Broyles coming back, we may not be as weak at receiver as I'd feared.

FAURIA!

D-Line played well. Young stepped up, I like the FA D-ends and I thought Ansah showed flashes of what got him picked where he was. Suh and Fairley played well, too, as you'd hope.

Levy looked almost twice the player he's looked in the past.

Martin looks like a good addition - given our historic coverage woes, having someone who consistently bangs it out of the back of the endzone on kick offs is a plus (although I have huge worries that the coverage unit gets complacent, and on the odd times he doesn't get a touchback they give up a big return - nearly happened with one Vikings return but Carey made a huge tackle). His punting got better as the game went on.

Negatives:

Too much knucklehead stuff. Drops. Fumbles. Penalties. If this was a one off, it wouldn't be so bad. The Lions really, really need to change the record. No way you beat the Packers of this world with play like that, no matter how well you play in the remainder of the game.

Schwatrz' reaction to the knucklehead stuff, according to the sideline reporter. He's ok with in game penalties? Why? Should we not be striving for higher standards than that? I get that in game stuff is going to happen, mistakes are going to be made from time to time. But can he not see that we make way more mistakes like that than your average NFL team and that this should therefore be correctable? Not even asking the players to try and cut it out is just crazy to me.

I thought the D played well, but we still gave up 24pts. There's no point shutting down an offense for 90% of the game if you give up 24pts in the 10% you don't.

Secondary didn't look great. They didn't look awful, either, but I don't rate the Vikings' passing attack. I hope this was down in part to a game plan that prioritised stopping the run (a sensible approach vs the Vikes) but I worry about how this unit will fare against the NFL's elite passing teams. We're also one injury at any position away from starting some worrying players.

At LB, Palmer did better than I expected but still looks well short of being an average NFL starter. As with DB, we're 1 injury away from a terrible unit IMO.

Overall: pleased, frustrated, excited and concerned - probably in that order. I can see us beating any team on our schedule. I can see us losing to any team on our schedule.


I'd agree with all of this and I'd add:

On the positive side that the defensive energy level seemed very high and very confident. They were stoked! And the crowd really got into that.

On the negative / concern side: 4 tipped passes of Stafford's. This "1/3 sidearm throw thing" he's got going is taking it's toll. I don't want to open up the 'side arm throw / he must be hurt' nonsense because it's just part of his game. I accept that. But some throws just don't have the zip or loft to clear the opposing D-line and it can stall a drive.

Overall I feel very much like you do.

_________________
Image


September 9th, 2013, 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2815
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
Fauria needs a little time, but he's already a matchup problem for others. His TD was due to the coverage CJ was getting.

I think it's nice problem to have that we celebrated 8 TD's yesterday and got credit for 4, yet still won. To stop Reggie, defenses are going to have to bring a safety down which is going to open the passing game even more.


September 9th, 2013, 1:02 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12202
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
njroar wrote:
Fauria needs a little time, but he's already a matchup problem for others. His TD was due to the coverage CJ was getting.

I think it's nice problem to have that we celebrated 8 TD's yesterday and got credit for 4, yet still won. To stop Reggie, defenses are going to have to bring a safety down which is going to open the passing game even more.
Fauria may be my new favorite player :idea:

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


September 9th, 2013, 2:14 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
Your sig is my new favourite sig! :idea: :D


September 9th, 2013, 2:25 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: September 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Posts: 408
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
Pettigrew could improve his hands, though practice. Tim Jennings was a JAG CB for Indy, and in his first year with the Bears he established a reputation for having stone hands (by missing a dozen easy INTs).

The summer before last season, he worked out every day with the ball machine, catching pass after pass - hundreds a day. It paid off.

With hands - it can be learned... just comes down to "want".


September 9th, 2013, 3:20 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12202
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
UK Lion wrote:
Your sig is my new favourite sig! :idea: :D
:cheers: :wink: :lol:

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


September 9th, 2013, 3:22 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2345
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
TheRealWags wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
Your sig is my new favourite sig! :idea: :D
:cheers: :wink: :lol:


Mine too! Especially the second gif--he's had me cracking up ever since he did it.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 9th, 2013, 3:23 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 878
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
Your sig is my new favourite sig! :idea: :D
:cheers: :wink: :lol:


Mine too! Especially the second gif--he's had me cracking up ever since he did it.


Do you mean in the gif?

If so the 3rd guy you see in that gif was Dylan Gandy who is a G/C.


September 9th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blueskies, Pablo and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.