View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 10:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Random week 1 thoughts 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Random week 1 thoughts
Hystrix wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
Your sig is my new favourite sig! :idea: :D
:cheers: :wink: :lol:

Mine too! Especially the second gif--he's had me cracking up ever since he did it.

Do you mean in the gif?

If so the 3rd guy you see in that gif was Dylan Gandy who is a G/C.

You're right. I realized that after watching the play.

People were saying that Calvin was drawing a lot of attention on the play, but it looks like he had one-on-one coverage (with a safety who could've slid over). It looked like they were trying to defend against the (gasp!) run.

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-cente ... 262faf65bd

September 9th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

My random thoughts...Viking fans are clowns. I made several bets on this game when the schedule came out and held my tongue while all of these purple fans talked trash the entire summer. Now when its my turn to rip on them, all I here is "We aren't that good of team anyway....", "You should've blown us out", "Bad officiating on that 1 drive" or they'll just bitch about Frazier and Ponder. In all the time I've lived here it has always been the same. They just don't know how to take their medicine. I used to hate the Bears more than any team in the NFL but now I'm just not sure.

September 9th, 2013, 6:03 pm
Team MVP

I agree with your thoughts on the game..

I especially agree with what you said about Levy. He looked MUCH better than he ever did.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 9th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

September 9th, 2013, 9:20 pm
QB Coach

thelomasbrowns wrote:

That's the same thing I've been asking myself all day. I posted on pft about that and a few other spots as well but didn't get any worthwhile responses. I think the "official" ruling is that because Calvin was going to the ground while making the catch (which I don't agree that he was) he has to complete the process of the catch through the ground. But with Cruz, since it was contact that made him go to the ground, extending the ball over the plane ends the play? Or some such bs as that. Calvins looked like a TD to me.

September 10th, 2013, 1:14 am
3rd Round Selection

Supposedly on PFT it's because his football move (extending) began before his second foot came down. I think that's BS - he continues to extend after his second foot comes down and before the ball jarred loose. I don't see a difference between the Cruz TD.

For me, the rule should be pretty straight forward. How would it be ruled if it was a reception in the open field, out of the endzone? If it would be ruled and incomplete pass, no TD. If it would be ruled a complete pass, or a fumble, then it's a TD.

Two other thoughts to add, courtesy of Bill Barnwell (who rather liked the Lions' performance - scroll down to the end of the Lions bits) http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/965 ... nfl-season The first thought adds to the hope, the second one rather brings things down to earth a little:

1. "I don't know that I've ever seen a team play as well as Detroit did on Sunday and come away with as little recognition to show for it. Detroit dominated Minnesota — a playoff team a year ago — at home, and all it has to show for it is an Adrian Peterson highlight-reel run. [...] It was a quietly impressive performance, and one that will sneak under the radar as the Lions travel to Arizona to play the Cardinals in Week 2."

2. "it's important to keep that in mind when thinking about Week 1; remember that just a year ago, the stars of Week 1 were Mark Sanchez (who went 19-of-27 for 266 yards with three touchdowns and an INT against the Bills) and Kevin Ogletree (who had eight catches for 114 yards and two touchdowns against the Giants). There's a reason Football Outsiders calls this "National Jump to Conclusions Week"."

September 10th, 2013, 3:51 am
QB Coach

Interesting that the ball has to break the very TIP of the white line for it to be a touch down. He had control at that point, much like Bell, and therefore it should have been a TD.

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist here but is there something against Detroit? CJ gets robbed of TD's, Suh get's punished for some bad plays, when "worse" plays happend by NFL's primadonna Packers, and ESPN barely covers Lions post game highlights. Every time I watch post game highlights, the Lions end up in the cue, and just as it's going to speak on them they cut to commercial, or give some two bit, broke down highlight on the game, quickly moving on to how the Jets did this or San Fran did that.

Am I the only one seeing this? Maybe I should get my eyes checked?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 10th, 2013, 9:16 am
Junior Varsity

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Interesting that the ball has to break the very TIP of the white line for it to be a touch down. He had control at that point, much like Bell, and therefore it should have been a TD.

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist here but is there something against Detroit? CJ gets robbed of TD's, Suh get's punished for some bad plays, when "worse" plays happend by NFL's primadonna Packers, and ESPN barely covers Lions post game highlights. Every time I watch post game highlights, the Lions end up in the cue, and just as it's going to speak on them they cut to commercial, or give some two bit, broke down highlight on the game, quickly moving on to how the Jets did this or San Fran did that.

Am I the only one seeing this? Maybe I should get my eyes checked?

No your not. I see the same thing. We just have to face the facts, because the Lions have sucked for so long, We are the Rodney Dangerfields of the NFL. :?

September 10th, 2013, 11:32 am
RIP Killer

The rule should be written thus:

If the player has possession and control of the football, with both feet having made contact inbounds and the ball has crossed the plane of the goalline while in the players control, it is ruled a touchdown, with any actions afterward considered deadball, and therefore irrelevant to whether or not it is a touchdown.

If a runner with possession of the ball breaks the plane and loses control, it is a touchdown. The same should be said of a receiver catching the ball. The original rule was intended for players who dive for a ball and never make contact with the field until they land. If the ball comes loose, it is considered a non-catch. I understand that. But when a player catches the ball and lands in bounds with both feet, that should be considered a catch. He wasn't juggling it on the way down. He, in my opinion, established control and possession BEFORE crossing the plane. A runner who has control and possession before crossing the plane is EXACTLY the same thing.

It is a STUPID, STUPID rule that is NOT used consistently by the officials. Compare the catch CJ had taken away from him last year against the Bears to the Cruz catch. Defenders made contact with Calvin after he caught the ball. He didn't get the TD that Cruz did.

It's a joke, and a black eye on the league.

September 10th, 2013, 12:19 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

good post UK Lion, also 100% agree with m2k post about "process"

my random thoughts in case anyone gives a flying f or moreso bc im bored right now and like doing this:

QB - Stafford played a very good game. I dont blame Raiola for the INT play, the OL provided enough protection on the play and Raiola was engaged with his defender despite being pushed back off the LOS. Great play by the DL to get a hand on it and a heads up tip drill INT. Stafford spread the ball around nicely and accurately, amazing what a running threat and some time to throw can do.

Grade : B, I ll reserve the A grades for when he really blows up the stat lines and when the degree of difficulty is more. Big difference bw this season and last is that Stafford seems to be making reads quicker and knowing where to go with the ball. In the preseason accuracy was an issue but not in Week 1.

RB - Bush lit it up. I thought he did a poor job 2nd and 1 from MIN 10 on the first drive when they called an inside trap play and he didnt follow the guard, tried to cut away from the play and didnt pick up what should ve been an easy 3 yards. Instead the Lions blew it on 3rd down also and had to kick a FG. He ll learn to clean it up in that situation but otherwise no complaints. I thought he ran with slightly less top end speed than Best but with more power and is a better pass protector and functions better out of the slot. Its only 1 game but he made a big difference. Joique Bell is an outstanding No 2 runner, probably the best we ve had here in a long time. He can run with power inside, he s patient for holes to develop and hits the hole hard depending on the situation. He has enough moves to make people miss and has good hands out of the backfield and is a willing blocker. He s not the game breaker that Bush is but is one of the team's most reliable players. I anticipate LeShoure inactive unless there is an injury.

Grade: A. Lets hope for more of these.

TE - Pettigrew did a good job blocking. I didnt get a good replay of the holding call on him but I highly question the call because it was a quick hitting run play and Pettigrew had an easy down block and Petts body was positioned bw the defender and where the ball carrier went. I really believe that the refs who monitor the inside blocking should have come experience as OL or DLman - it seems to me they see someone fall a certain way and they call it a hold when usually the OL is just using the DLman's own momentum to keep him moving in a direction he was already going. Pettigrew's fumbling is a real problem though and he cannot be trusted to be a ball carrier. He tried fumbling the previous play but it was called incomplete then he got his wish. Scheffler had a disappointing drop that shouldnt have been too difficult. Fauria took advantage of his opportunities and while not a dominant blocker is giving a great effort in that department.

Grade: C-. Grade would be worse if it wasnt for Fauria's solid first game.

WR - Calvin had a good game, nearly great one. He along with the OL play made Bush, Bell, Stafford s day possible. Vikings stuck to their game plan of not letting Calvin beat them with big plays and he was very close to doing so anyway. Patrick Edwards did a nice job showing excellent quickness and him and Stafford connected with precision for a few catches. Edwards also did a nice job blocking. Nate Burleson had a surprisingly good game with good hands and crafty run after the catch. I still havent seen why Kris Durham belongs on the team and Week 1 was no different. Maybe they cut him when Broyles is more healthy? Spurlock didnt fumble and he downed a key punt at a crucial part of the game.

Grade: B, again they will have bigger games but were better than the Vikes secondary in this one.

OL - I dont agree that Reiff played all that well. He really didnt sustain many good blocks on Allen. Allen did also bat a few passes and Reiff wasnt able to stay in contact with Allen on those plays to lessen the chance. Allen also landed a big shot on Stafford. It was an acceptable performance and perhaps better than Backus' performance's vs Allen but not a great one. The rest of the line including Raiola did a good job against a DL that besides Allen was not at full strength. Pettigrew helped quite a bit. I thought Raiola did a nice job despite the bashing he gets here and was surprised by Warford's solid game.

Grade: B+, holding and a couple of nervous pre snap plays keep it from the full A but they played very well as a group.

DL - DLine was disruptive. The sack by Fairley during a stunt play where Suh got double held was a great team effort. I really like Jason Jones at the end position he controls the point of attack on the edge. Didnt quite see enough of Ansah and saw a lot of Young where I expected Idonije but Young did a good job overall even vs the run. Mosley and Bannan played well in relief instead.

Grade: A-, did a great job helping to contain AP and make Ponder uneasy and MIN has a good OL.

LB - Looked bad on one play and pretty good the rest of the way. Levy had one of his best games although I still think he takes the path of least resistance at times and might get burned again at some point. Palmer made a couple of nice stops also. This group should ve been tested more in coverage but I wont penalize them for poor game planning by Minnesota.

Grade: A

DB: Slay had the worst game of any Lion, appearing shy of contact and getting wrung up short, deep and then getting benched. Mathis was more steady and settled the D down. Quinn was good vs the run while Delmas was whiffing. Houston got beat once or twice.

Grade: C-. THey help up but gave up some big plays and I really expected more with so much changeover at the position.

ST: Martin wasnt punting very well than perfected the late one, wonder if it took a while to get over the dropped PAT snap. The coverage teams did fine.

Grade: C-. Cant be messing up holds and shanking that many kicks. Encouraged that they ll be better than a year ago though.

Coaching:
Offensive playcalling - A
Defensive playcalling: B
Head Coach: B. Blame him for the errors in the first half but he did something right to get things to settle down in the second half. Didnt like the timeout usage especially on the challenge.

September 10th, 2013, 4:24 pm
3rd Round Selection

The Legend wrote:
my random thoughts in case anyone gives a flying f

I sure do :) Great to read - really enjoy reading analysis from people who understand the game a level up (or more) from me.

The Legend wrote:
OL - I dont agree that Reiff played all that well. [...] It was an acceptable performance and perhaps better than Backus' performance's vs Allen but not a great one.

Don't think anyone thought that Reiff had a great performance. I think everyone agrees it was acceptable. It's just that acceptable is definitely better than generally expected. Acceptable from Reiff was a nice surprise for me!

The Legend wrote:
DB: Slay had the worst game of any Lion, appearing shy of contact and getting wrung up short, deep and then getting benched.

Agree Slay had a bad game. His one positive, though, that deserves a mention was the pass breakup that gave Levy his INT.

September 10th, 2013, 4:55 pm
Pop Warner Vet

Holy crap, we can run the ball now! I know it is easier for young players (on the o-line) to make holes for the run, more difficult to defend against the pass rush but I can't remember when we had those rushing numbers in the past couple years!!! I'm so excited that teams have to actually respect the run now with Bush & Bell back there (and our line).

As for the officiating - my brothers and I often joke as soon as we see a flag:
"Winning... on the offense. Forfeiture of game, season over."
We're at the point now where every scoring play, we expect the review will negate the score. Sadly (especially during this game), many times we're spot on.

As for media coverage - I'd much rather quietly get to the playoffs than be dazzled by crap commentary at the beginning of the season.

Go Lions!!!

I'll be in D.C. at the Skins game if anyone will be tailgating/going to the game

September 11th, 2013, 11:59 am
QB Coach

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
Holy crap, we can run the ball now! I know it is easier for young players (on the o-line) to make holes for the run, more difficult to defend against the pass rush but I can't remember when we had those rushing numbers in the past couple years!!! I'm so excited that teams have to actually respect the run now with Bush & Bell back there (and our line).

As for the officiating - my brothers and I often joke as soon as we see a flag:
"Winning... on the offense. Forfeiture of game, season over."
We're at the point now where every scoring play, we expect the review will negate the score. Sadly (especially during this game), many times we're spot on.

As for media coverage - I'd much rather quietly get to the playoffs than be dazzled by crap commentary at the beginning of the season.

Go Lions!!!

I'll be in D.C. at the Skins game if anyone will be tailgating/going to the game

I am awaiting tickets. A friend's family has season tickets to the Skins and they often don't use them all.

September 11th, 2013, 1:37 pm
Varsity 1st Team

TheRealWags wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

I like how 85 was going to congratulate him then just backs away and starts shaking his head. Some white guys just shouldn't dance;>

frok

September 11th, 2013, 7:14 pm
RIP Killer

frok wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

I like how 85 was going to congratulate him then just backs away and starts shaking his head. Some white guys just shouldn't dance;>

frok

I think he backed off because if you get another teammate involved in the 'celebration' it is a penalty. Compliments of Roger Goodell and the No Fun League.

September 12th, 2013, 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next