View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Report: Suh facing league discipline for low block against V 
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: Report: Suh facing league discipline for low block again
I think this is just a case of the refs not being able to screw us enough to make us lose. So, the league is going to punish us for winning by suspending Suh for about 4 games. I don't like Roger Goodell. He has taken every opportunity to completely screw the Lions every chance he has had since he became the Commissioner. I think he has far too much power and he has used it to screw the NFL up. You can't play defense in the NFL anymore.

September 9th, 2013, 10:08 pm
Heisman Winner

Bitch all you want. I expect Suh will be suspended. He needs to be smarter, as he realizes that he has worked himself into his own reputation. At the end of the game he flirted with another late hit on the QB, though I think it was clean. Like IE said, he has used up all of his good will with the league office. Fair or not, its where he is at now. Everybody knows it. He needs to use a little self control in those non critical situations and keep himself out of the spotlight for this kind of stuff.

September 9th, 2013, 10:41 pm
3rd Round Selection

From reports on nfl.com it sounds like Suh will get fined, and not suspended.

IMO it was a mistake, not a dirty play, and 15yds and a TD wiped off the boards is really punishment enough.

I'd be ok with a fine, though, as long as Matthews gets a bigger fine or a suspension. If he gets away with the same or less, it'll just be obvious NFL bias IMO.

September 10th, 2013, 3:35 am
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:

IMO it was a mistake, not a dirty play, and 15yds and a TD wiped off the boards is really punishment enough.

I'd be ok with a fine, though, as long as Matthews gets a bigger fine or a suspension. If he gets away with the same or less, it'll just be obvious NFL bias IMO.

I'm sorry, but Matthews should get suspended. He didn't just hit a QB out of bounds. He went after his head, and he threw punches at Staley. He SHOULD have been automatically ejected at that point. Any player throwing punches is supposed to get the heave ho right then and there. Remember the foot stomp? Didn't Suh get ejected?

There is no difference, except that one player has the reputation of being dirty, and the other one can't get Goodell off his cock.

September 10th, 2013, 12:27 pm
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

I'm sorry, but Matthews should get suspended. He didn't just hit a QB out of bounds. He went after his head, and he threw punches at Staley. He SHOULD have been automatically ejected at that point. Any player throwing punches is supposed to get the heave ho right then and there. Remember the foot stomp? Didn't Suh get ejected?

There is no difference, except that one player has the reputation of being dirty, and the other one can't get Goodell off his cock.

True. His statements before the game also make it much worse. Whilst not on a par with bounty-gate, it's heading in that direction: makes it completely obvious his intention was to try and knock CK out of the game.

September 10th, 2013, 1:04 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Speak of the f'n :twisted: Suh has been fined $100,000 for this hit. Matthews yanks a QB by his helmet/neck when the QB is running out of bounds, slams him to the ground and slaps a player twice and gets a 15 yard penalty. This league is a joke.

Last edited by Shotty on September 10th, 2013, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 10th, 2013, 3:38 pm
League MVP

njroar wrote:
Clipping is a block in the back. Suh was in front of the player and side cracked down. Last year this was completely legal. But you're right, clipping is and always has been a penalty. The ref got it wrong when he called it a block in the back, and the media has been repeating that he hit him from behind, which is false.

seriously what is the new rule? i keep hearing how suh was victim to a new rule, what is the new rule?

September 10th, 2013, 3:38 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:
Clipping is a block in the back. Suh was in front of the player and side cracked down. Last year this was completely legal. But you're right, clipping is and always has been a penalty. The ref got it wrong when he called it a block in the back, and the media has been repeating that he hit him from behind, which is false.

seriously what is the new rule? i keep hearing how suh was victim to a new rule, what is the new rule?

You now can't side block a player. You have to turn and face them. Suh did it correctly by last years rule because he was in front of the player. Ever since Cushing got hurt by it last year, they wanted to change it.

September 10th, 2013, 3:52 pm
3rd Round Selection

Wow. $100k. That's crazy. Call the penalty, fair enough. A fine, I suppose I'm ok. But the biggest fine in history? Nuts.

Suh definitely is a marked man. All because of one stomp. I guess he only has himself to blame for the stomp, but there are other NFL players who have done worse who don't carry the same stigma with the league. Can't help but think it's because he's not on one of the NFL's darling franchises.

September 10th, 2013, 4:59 pm
League MVP

UK Lion wrote:
Wow. $100k. That's crazy. Call the penalty, fair enough. A fine, I suppose I'm ok. But the biggest fine in history? Nuts.

Suh definitely is a marked man. All because of one stomp. I guess he only has himself to blame for the stomp, but there are other NFL players who have done worse who don't carry the same stigma with the league. Can't help but think it's because he's not on one of the NFL's darling franchises.

i agree, this was a penalty, an illegal play and a stupid overaggressive one but i dont see how this was an egregious suspendable offense. suh does indeed take cheap shots any chance he gets but now its obvious the league is trying to fine/suspend him any chance they get. i hate to see what they are going to do the next time he truly loses it

September 10th, 2013, 6:26 pm
Walk On

I think only a Lions fan would characterize Suh's reputation as "one stomp"... I mean, really.

The league is clearly trying to send him a message. He's not getting it. Schwartz doesn't appear to get it. And the people comparing one-off plays by other players like Matthews aren't getting it either.

Again - the league is clearly legislating what they want, and trying to send clear messages... and they don't want Suh's over-the-top behavior, or the behavior of any other players who consistently threaten the league's preference for QBs and offense.

The game is bigger and faster and more exciting than it has ever been. But it isn't a "defensive guy kills offensive guys" league anymore. In a league where they're intensely trying to protect QBs, Schwartz encourages his players to play to the fringe of legality and safety. That's not a good formula, if you don't want negative attention, penalties, fines, ejections and other such things

September 10th, 2013, 7:06 pm
Heisman Winner

I'm happy I was wrong about Suh being suspended. I hope he will come up with some situational awareness quickly, because he is indeed a marked man. I don't see him getting any leeway from the league this year. The Lions need him, and from what he had said it sounded like he was trying to avoid a penalty for the high hit. It didn't work out, and he'll be under the microscope again.

September 10th, 2013, 7:35 pm
RIP Killer

For 100 stacks, he probably will play like a pansy the league wants. I loved in high school when I was diving and flying into people. You had to have that image of "I'm going to chase you down and run you the f$ck over" or people wouldn't respect you on the field. Some douch LG goes to chop you and you slap the hell out of his helmet and step on his damn back, he'll think twice about going for your knees again. It's not even that though. The cutler h it's were both legal - the forearm shiver and the piggyback ride. Both legal and both awesomely physical. Suh is a physical, dominant player, which the league doesn't like. I'm not defending other hits or stomps. The delhomme hit was his first sack and he wanted to prove a point (as I said above). However, he took it way, way too far for the head rip and slam. Inexcusable, the stomp, obviously inexcusable. However, I've seen far worse in this game. How about Cortland Finnegan every year? Dood always punches somebody, generally after he rips their helmet off. Where's his 100 stack to the league? Where's his suspensions?

Since you can't do that kind of thing in the pros (play the game like its supposed to be played), because they don't want 300 pound monsters destroying 200 pound QBs, they're limiting players playing the game and treating this simply as a money maker. Goodall wants a high dollar league, which means protecting the stars at all costs. If he could have the tackling dummy from the knees drill type tackles on every play, he'd be beyond thrilled.

September 10th, 2013, 8:45 pm
Heisman Winner

Line play is dirty. All over the country in any game. Bad things happpen there. I was a OG 20 thousand years ago. The pros are totally dirty. Much much worse happens every game than this. Suh needs to realize when he's going to get singled out. This extra stuff in the open will burn him every time, now that he has been labeled. Is it fair? Not really, but that IS the score now. Its not going to 'get fair' all of a sudden.

September 10th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Walk On

I personally think the digital choice of playing either like a thug or a sissy is a false one.

Players are still flying around and making tackles... and hardly any get fined. Sure - more than before, and the rules make playing defense harder. But it isn't like the games have become sissy-fests where manly-men don't feel comfortable watching them. So let's not blow this out of proportion because it is a Lion in the spotlight.

This is from NFL.com:

Quote:
Accusations of dirty play have followed Suh his entire career. He's been fined five times in his first three seasons, mostly for illegal hits on quarterbacks. His most infamous play came on Thanksgiving in 2011, when he was fined and suspended for stomping Green Bay Packers guard Evan Dietrich-Smith.

That incident isn't to be confused with the incident that occurred last Thanksgiving, when Suh was fined $30,000 for kicking Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin.

And that doesn't even include the frequent dirty, after-the-fact (well after they don't have the ball, and are in no position to block for anyone) hits on QBs almost every single game. Sure, there's a chorus of, "but that was a legal hit" from Lions fans ... but that doesn't make them not dirty. Or not dangerous to the other player. So he gets away with some stuff because it is legal - and if there is ANY question about the legality of other stuff, he gets what is coming to him.

September 10th, 2013, 9:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next