View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Rugland 
League MVP

Post Re: Rugland
conversion02 wrote:
Sorry, but you don't cut a kicker who is a year removed from being a damn good pro bowler and is coming off obvious injuries, and has looked awesome in the PS for a guy who has never kicked in a real game before and who's mechanics are terrible. I know people love the guy because he can kick footballs into balls he just punted, but seriously, it's about winning. It's not a F'ing clown show.

100% agree

September 5th, 2013, 10:41 pm
QB Coach

The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Sorry, but you don't cut a kicker who is a year removed from being a damn good pro bowler and is coming off obvious injuries, and has looked awesome in the PS for a guy who has never kicked in a real game before and who's mechanics are terrible. I know people love the guy because he can kick footballs into balls he just punted, but seriously, it's about winning. It's not a F'ing clown show.

100% agree

Ditto

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

September 6th, 2013, 7:51 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Once it was Obv Akers was healthy Rugland had a 0% chance of replacing him. That said, its a neat story and he has time to develop and catch on somewhere.

September 6th, 2013, 11:55 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Can anyone tell me why he is not being touted as a punter? It looks like he could drop a football within a 5 yard circle every time.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

September 9th, 2013, 8:00 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Interesting:

Quote:
Lions attempted to add Havard Rugland to practice squad with international designation
By Sean Yuille @SeanYuille on Sep 11 2013, 4:03p 4
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/9/11 ... tice-squad
Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports
STAY CONNECTED
The Detroit Lions sought an international exemption to keep Havard Rugland on their practice squad, but they were turned down by the NFL.

Back in the days of NFL Europe, teams were allowed to keep nine guys on their practice squad if one of the spots went to an international player. That exemption hasn't been utilized in years considering NFL Europe shut down back in 2007, but the rule technically still exists.

It turns out that the Detroit Lions actually tried to make use of the rule this year with kicker Havard Rugland, who was released by the team in August. As discovered by SideLion Report, a story from Norway mentioned that the Lions applied to get Rugland on their practice squad as an international player, but the NFL apparently shut them down. Why? Based on the translation of the article, it's suggested that the rule "was made in terms of NFL Europe." Even though it still exists, the NFL apparently doesn't believe it should be utilized in Rugland's case.

So why didn't the Lions simply add Rugland to the practice squad as one of the eight regular players? I'm assuming they didn't want to take up one of their usual spots with a kicker. That's understandable, because those eight spots were spent to add extra depth at certain positions. At kicker, extra depth doesn't really come into play. If there's an injury or a change needs to be made, you simply go out and sign another kicker. It just wouldn't make much sense to use a practice squad spot on one.

In the case of Rugland, the Lions saw an opportunity to keep a kicker around as the ninth member of their practice squad. It was a smart move on their part to try to utilize that rule, but the NFL apparently saw things differently. As a result, Rugland is a free agent, and he's currently back in Norway waiting for another chance to join an NFL team.

September 11th, 2013, 4:30 pm
League MVP

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Interesting:

Quote:
Lions attempted to add Havard Rugland to practice squad with international designation
STAY CONNECTED
The Detroit Lions sought an international exemption to keep Havard Rugland on their practice squad, but they were turned down by the NFL.

Back in the days of NFL Europe, teams were allowed to keep nine guys on their practice squad if one of the spots went to an international player. That exemption hasn't been utilized in years considering NFL Europe shut down back in 2007, but the rule technically still exists.

It turns out that the Detroit Lions actually tried to make use of the rule this year with kicker Havard Rugland, who was released by the team in August. As discovered by SideLion Report, a story from Norway mentioned that the Lions applied to get Rugland on their practice squad as an international player, but the NFL apparently shut them down. Why? Based on the translation of the article, it's suggested that the rule "was made in terms of NFL Europe." Even though it still exists, the NFL apparently doesn't believe it should be utilized in Rugland's case.

So why didn't the Lions simply add Rugland to the practice squad as one of the eight regular players? I'm assuming they didn't want to take up one of their usual spots with a kicker. That's understandable, because those eight spots were spent to add extra depth at certain positions. At kicker, extra depth doesn't really come into play. If there's an injury or a change needs to be made, you simply go out and sign another kicker. It just wouldn't make much sense to use a practice squad spot on one.

In the case of Rugland, the Lions saw an opportunity to keep a kicker around as the ninth member of their practice squad. It was a smart move on their part to try to utilize that rule, but the NFL apparently saw things differently. As a result, Rugland is a free agent, and he's currently back in Norway waiting for another chance to join an NFL team.

im getting sick of the NFL when they pull stuff like this yet on the other hand wonder why they struggle to make the game popular internationally

September 12th, 2013, 2:14 am
QB Coach

The Legend wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Interesting:

Quote:
STAY CONNECTED

im getting sick of the NFL when they pull stuff like this yet on the other hand wonder why they struggle to make the game popular internationally

isn't this more of the Lions trying to take advantage of a rule that doesn't really apply any more than the NFL pulling something? As I read it, the rule was intended to try to enhance NFL Europe, and simply hasn't been revoked or anything. Seems to me it was smart of the Lions to try, but ultimately the league made the common sense decision.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things ... _Do_Anyway

LET'S GO DUKE!

If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.

September 12th, 2013, 8:39 am
League MVP

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
The Legend wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Interesting:

Quote:
STAY CONNECTED

isn't this more of the Lions trying to take advantage of a rule that doesn't really apply any more than the NFL pulling something? As I read it, the rule was intended to try to enhance NFL Europe, and simply hasn't been revoked or anything. Seems to me it was smart of the Lions to try, but ultimately the league made the common sense decision.

bottom line is giving an international player a chance makes it more likely that even a few europeans would have a player to follow and i think that benefits the NFL. the lions arent gaining any competitive advantage by having an international PS player, particularly one thats a kicker.

September 12th, 2013, 9:09 am
Position Coach

conversion02 wrote:

Appearently it is a F'ing clown show, huh?

September 15th, 2013, 4:30 pm
Position Coach

The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

100% agree

Maybe you can agree that we need a F'ing kicker. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to rely on a 38 year old kicker WHO SUCKED LAST SEASON?

September 15th, 2013, 7:42 pm
League MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

100% agree

Maybe you can agree that we need a F'ing kicker. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to rely on a 38 year old kicker WHO SUCKED LAST SEASON?

to be fair he got hit one play before the missed FG and the block really wasnt on him (did Idonije even try to block that guy? i mean i saw him flail his arms out with no apparent force or intention of contact but he didnt have anyone rushing his inside shoulder) but I would give Jason Hanson a call to see if he s in shape. doubt rugland would be a serious upgrade.

September 15th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Position Coach

The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

100% agree

to be fair he got hit one play before the missed FG and the block really wasnt on him (did Idonije even try to block that guy? i mean i saw him flail his arms out with no apparent force or intention of contact but he didnt have anyone rushing his inside shoulder) but I would give Jason Hanson a call to see if he s in shape. doubt rugland would be a serious upgrade.

lol@ the bolded part but why such doubts about Rugland? When he was here, all he did was what was asked of him. I think Akers has lost it mentally.

September 15th, 2013, 8:04 pm
League MVP

Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

100% agree

lol@ the bolded part but why such doubts about Rugland? When he was here, all he did was what was asked of him. I think Akers has lost it mentally.

its possible then again being part of the lions organization probably doesnt help akers turn the ship in the right direction either. to be clear i have my doubts w akers also.

September 15th, 2013, 8:11 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

100% agree

He was injured last season.

For those who are so pro Rugland, remember that when he made his kicks in pre-season he BARELY got them over the crossbar....and that was in pre-season where the guys who are applying the rush on the block teams are the scraps of a 90 man roster. Big difference when they guys who are trying to make the blocks are starters and/or second stringers.

I'm not making excuses for Akers. He screwed the pooch yesterday. But there were times Hanson had bad games and missed a couple kicks as well. I don't recall anyone calling for his head when that happened. Like Hanson, Akers has had a very good career. Let's just wait and see what occurs in the next few games before we nail him to the cross and crucify him.

September 16th, 2013, 9:24 am
1st Round Pick

m2karateman wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

100% agree

He was injured last season.

For those who are so pro Rugland, remember that when he made his kicks in pre-season he BARELY got them over the crossbar....and that was in pre-season where the guys who are applying the rush on the block teams are the scraps of a 90 man roster. Big difference when they guys who are trying to make the blocks are starters and/or second stringers.

I'm not making excuses for Akers. He screwed the pooch yesterday. But there were times Hanson had bad games and missed a couple kicks as well. I don't recall anyone calling for his head when that happened. Like Hanson, Akers has had a very good career. Let's just wait and see what occurs in the next few games before we nail him to the cross and crucify him.

To be fair to those people, Akers got bumped in the Cards game and its not a stretch to think he may fall apart again this season. I liked Rugland, but I would have to agree they should give Akers another game to see how he rebounds. It's a good thing the Lions have Martin who has not to distant kicker exp and could give them a fair option for a game if Akers crumbles again.

September 16th, 2013, 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next