View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 10:57 am



Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
 Lions Predictions 
Author Message
Walk On

Joined: September 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Posts: 408
Post Re: Lions Predictions
I'd like to think that Megatron and Brandon Marshall are the two best WRs in the league.

But AJ Green ... I haven't watched him a lot, but - wow.

And then there is Anquan Boldin - who I've had a man crush on forever. Can you believe the Niners got him for a 6th round pick? Ugh...


September 9th, 2013, 12:29 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Lions Predictions
Updated predictions game by game. Originally had us at 8-9 wins.

@ ARI: 24-21 W. Fitz gets in twice and Floyd once, but we outscore them by a field goal. This one ends a thriller.
@WAS: 31-28 W. Yes, I'm the first one predicting a win here. We will score on their horrendous secondary at will and "limit" them to 28 points.
vs CHI: 28-23 W. Our defense does work in the red zone. Staff give them 3-10 from picks, but they don't stop our offense all game long.
@GB: 24-31 L. Green Bay has a trio of dominant receivers every week with Jordy and Cobb, and whoever has the good game out of Jones and Finley. Too much for us to handle, and their defense gets the necessary stops and a turnover.
@CLE: 35-21 W. Trent Richardson keeps them in it with tough running all game long as well as a long TD to Gordon, but they just gave up 28 to Miami who ran for less than 50 yards. Stafford throws for 375 and abuses whoever's opposite Haden.
vs CIN: 20-23 L. AJ Green gets in at least once and by now Gio Bernard has taken over the RB spot and is the Doug Martin of this season. Tough, but respectable, loss to a solid team.
vs DAL: 34-28 W. By now DeMarco Murray is probably hurt. Our offensive line drives Romo crazy but Dez has a monster game with 150 yards and 3 TDs. We hold on.
@ CHI: 13-17 L. Chicago brings the heat on Stafford this game. Bush has a bad game, Calvin makes a few plays but nothing spectacular. Nothing too interesting here.
@ PIT: 20-13 W. Our defense plays a big part in this one. Steelers can't run the ball for an inch, and Houston does a great job on Antonio Brown.
vs TB: 27-24 W. TB's offense has 3 players over 100 yards with Mike Williams, V-Jackson and Doug Martin. They do enough to win, but Freeman blows the game with a late pick.
vs GB: 14-20 L. Green Bay once again comes in on Thanksgiving and beats the Lions. Rodgers is picture perfect and Lacy finishes the game with some hard running in the 4th.
@ PHI: 35-24 W. We go up early, and the Eagles never get back in it. We pull far away in the 4th.
vs BAL: 24-17 W. Ravens defense, aside from the defensive line, is still struggling at this point. Webb has clearly not regained his step since the ACL injury and aside from him there's no legit CB, maybe even DB. Big win in front of a ferocious crowd.
vs NYG: 35-38 W. Giants bring their A game here. Cruz lights us up repeatedly and Eli has a field day. They get just enough to win.
@ MIN: 28-24 W. The playoffs are on the line here, and we play like they aren't. All out brawl in this one. AP goes long for one again, and we make some stupid mistakes, but this is a season-defining game as we keep a lead from the 2nd quarter on and clinch a playoff spot.

10-6, 2nd place in the division, 6th seed

_________________
Image


September 9th, 2013, 2:07 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: September 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Posts: 408
Post Re: Lions Predictions
Shotty wrote:
Updated predictions game by game. Originally had us at 8-9 wins.

@ ARI: 24-21 W. Fitz gets in twice and Floyd once, but we outscore them by a field goal. This one ends a thriller.
@WAS: 31-28 W. Yes, I'm the first one predicting a win here. We will score on their horrendous secondary at will and "limit" them to 28 points.
vs CHI: 28-23 W. Our defense does work in the red zone. Staff give them 3-10 from picks, but they don't stop our offense all game long.
@GB: 24-31 L. Green Bay has a trio of dominant receivers every week with Jordy and Cobb, and whoever has the good game out of Jones and Finley. Too much for us to handle, and their defense gets the necessary stops and a turnover.
@CLE: 35-21 W. Trent Richardson keeps them in it with tough running all game long as well as a long TD to Gordon, but they just gave up 28 to Miami who ran for less than 50 yards. Stafford throws for 375 and abuses whoever's opposite Haden.
vs CIN: 20-23 L. AJ Green gets in at least once and by now Gio Bernard has taken over the RB spot and is the Doug Martin of this season. Tough, but respectable, loss to a solid team.
vs DAL: 34-28 W. By now DeMarco Murray is probably hurt. Our offensive line drives Romo crazy but Dez has a monster game with 150 yards and 3 TDs. We hold on.
@ CHI: 13-17 L. Chicago brings the heat on Stafford this game. Bush has a bad game, Calvin makes a few plays but nothing spectacular. Nothing too interesting here.
@ PIT: 20-13 W. Our defense plays a big part in this one. Steelers can't run the ball for an inch, and Houston does a great job on Antonio Brown.
vs TB: 27-24 W. TB's offense has 3 players over 100 yards with Mike Williams, V-Jackson and Doug Martin. They do enough to win, but Freeman blows the game with a late pick.
vs GB: 14-20 L. Green Bay once again comes in on Thanksgiving and beats the Lions. Rodgers is picture perfect and Lacy finishes the game with some hard running in the 4th.
@ PHI: 35-24 W. We go up early, and the Eagles never get back in it. We pull far away in the 4th.
vs BAL: 24-17 W. Ravens defense, aside from the defensive line, is still struggling at this point. Webb has clearly not regained his step since the ACL injury and aside from him there's no legit CB, maybe even DB. Big win in front of a ferocious crowd.
vs NYG: 35-38 W. Giants bring their A game here. Cruz lights us up repeatedly and Eli has a field day. They get just enough to win.
@ MIN: 28-24 W. The playoffs are on the line here, and we play like they aren't. All out brawl in this one. AP goes long for one again, and we make some stupid mistakes, but this is a season-defining game as we keep a lead from the 2nd quarter on and clinch a playoff spot.

10-6, 2nd place in the division, 6th seed


These are fairly realistic predictions. Not sure about Detroit's red zone D against Marshall, Bennett, Jeffrey and Bush/Forte with the improved Bear Oline. But I can imagine a tight, high-scoring game - for sure.

Baltimore is definitely looking beatable - at least after week 1.

Not sure it would be wise to extrapolate Reggie's performance to an entire season ... he's always been a bit hit & miss. He did look awesome though. So probably some of these apparently winnable games might turn out not to be as much.

And on the redskins... I believe you should look back, and find that I predicted the Lions over Skins. And yes - I'm blaming it on Rex Grossman. What else would you expect from a Bear fan? lol


September 9th, 2013, 2:31 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Lions Predictions
Accident, we lost to the Giants. 10-6

_________________
Image


September 9th, 2013, 2:50 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2279
Post Re: Lions Predictions
rao wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
I'm starting to become a Seahawks fan. I love their jerseys and I am beyond jealous of how they've built their secondary.


Yeah the Lions DBs could use some PEDs also.


:lol:


September 9th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11944
Post Re: Lions Predictions
Shotty wrote:
Updated predictions game by game. Originally had us at 8-9 wins.

@ ARI: 24-21 W. Fitz gets in twice and Floyd once, but we outscore them by a field goal. This one ends a thriller.
@WAS: 31-28 W. Yes, I'm the first one predicting a win here. We will score on their horrendous secondary at will and "limit" them to 28 points.
vs CHI: 28-23 W. Our defense does work in the red zone. Staff give them 3-10 from picks, but they don't stop our offense all game long.
@GB: 24-31 L. Green Bay has a trio of dominant receivers every week with Jordy and Cobb, and whoever has the good game out of Jones and Finley. Too much for us to handle, and their defense gets the necessary stops and a turnover.
@CLE: 35-21 W. Trent Richardson keeps them in it with tough running all game long as well as a long TD to Gordon, but they just gave up 28 to Miami who ran for less than 50 yards. Stafford throws for 375 and abuses whoever's opposite Haden.
vs CIN: 20-23 L. AJ Green gets in at least once and by now Gio Bernard has taken over the RB spot and is the Doug Martin of this season. Tough, but respectable, loss to a solid team.
vs DAL: 34-28 W. By now DeMarco Murray is probably hurt. Our offensive line drives Romo crazy but Dez has a monster game with 150 yards and 3 TDs. We hold on.
@ CHI: 13-17 L. Chicago brings the heat on Stafford this game. Bush has a bad game, Calvin makes a few plays but nothing spectacular. Nothing too interesting here.
@ PIT: 20-13 W. Our defense plays a big part in this one. Steelers can't run the ball for an inch, and Houston does a great job on Antonio Brown.
vs TB: 27-24 W. TB's offense has 3 players over 100 yards with Mike Williams, V-Jackson and Doug Martin. They do enough to win, but Freeman blows the game with a late pick.
vs GB: 14-20 L. Green Bay once again comes in on Thanksgiving and beats the Lions. Rodgers is picture perfect and Lacy finishes the game with some hard running in the 4th.
@ PHI: 35-24 W. We go up early, and the Eagles never get back in it. We pull far away in the 4th.
vs BAL: 24-17 W. Ravens defense, aside from the defensive line, is still struggling at this point. Webb has clearly not regained his step since the ACL injury and aside from him there's no legit CB, maybe even DB. Big win in front of a ferocious crowd.
vs NYG: 35-38 W. Giants bring their A game here. Cruz lights us up repeatedly and Eli has a field day. They get just enough to win.
@ MIN: 28-24 W. The playoffs are on the line here, and we play like they aren't. All out brawl in this one. AP goes long for one again, and we make some stupid mistakes, but this is a season-defining game as we keep a lead from the 2nd quarter on and clinch a playoff spot.

10-6, 2nd place in the division, 6th seed
I count 11 wins there...so 12-4???
Shotty wrote:
Accident, we lost to the Giants. 10-6
changing this still looks like 11-5 total, no?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


September 9th, 2013, 3:02 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Lions Predictions
TheRealWags wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Updated predictions game by game. Originally had us at 8-9 wins.

@ ARI: 24-21 W. Fitz gets in twice and Floyd once, but we outscore them by a field goal. This one ends a thriller.
@WAS: 31-28 W. Yes, I'm the first one predicting a win here. We will score on their horrendous secondary at will and "limit" them to 28 points.
vs CHI: 28-23 W. Our defense does work in the red zone. Staff give them 3-10 from picks, but they don't stop our offense all game long.
@GB: 24-31 L. Green Bay has a trio of dominant receivers every week with Jordy and Cobb, and whoever has the good game out of Jones and Finley. Too much for us to handle, and their defense gets the necessary stops and a turnover.
@CLE: 35-21 W. Trent Richardson keeps them in it with tough running all game long as well as a long TD to Gordon, but they just gave up 28 to Miami who ran for less than 50 yards. Stafford throws for 375 and abuses whoever's opposite Haden.
vs CIN: 20-23 L. AJ Green gets in at least once and by now Gio Bernard has taken over the RB spot and is the Doug Martin of this season. Tough, but respectable, loss to a solid team.
vs DAL: 34-28 W. By now DeMarco Murray is probably hurt. Our offensive line drives Romo crazy but Dez has a monster game with 150 yards and 3 TDs. We hold on.
@ CHI: 13-17 L. Chicago brings the heat on Stafford this game. Bush has a bad game, Calvin makes a few plays but nothing spectacular. Nothing too interesting here.
@ PIT: 20-13 W. Our defense plays a big part in this one. Steelers can't run the ball for an inch, and Houston does a great job on Antonio Brown.
vs TB: 27-24 W. TB's offense has 3 players over 100 yards with Mike Williams, V-Jackson and Doug Martin. They do enough to win, but Freeman blows the game with a late pick.
vs GB: 14-20 L. Green Bay once again comes in on Thanksgiving and beats the Lions. Rodgers is picture perfect and Lacy finishes the game with some hard running in the 4th.
@ PHI: 35-24 W. We go up early, and the Eagles never get back in it. We pull far away in the 4th.
vs BAL: 24-17 W. Ravens defense, aside from the defensive line, is still struggling at this point. Webb has clearly not regained his step since the ACL injury and aside from him there's no legit CB, maybe even DB. Big win in front of a ferocious crowd.
vs NYG: 35-38 W. Giants bring their A game here. Cruz lights us up repeatedly and Eli has a field day. They get just enough to win.
@ MIN: 28-24 W. The playoffs are on the line here, and we play like they aren't. All out brawl in this one. AP goes long for one again, and we make some stupid mistakes, but this is a season-defining game as we keep a lead from the 2nd quarter on and clinch a playoff spot.

10-6, 2nd place in the division, 6th seed
I count 11 wins there...so 12-4???
Shotty wrote:
Accident, we lost to the Giants. 10-6
changing this still looks like 11-5 total, no?


Lose twice to GB, to CHI, NYG, CIN. Yes, 11-5. Sorry, got no sleep last night.

_________________
Image


September 9th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3530
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions Predictions
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... lions-game

fitzgerald questionable, gotta help lions chances


September 13th, 2013, 5:21 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3530
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions Predictions
Utilizing my subscription to NFL sunday ticket I watched the Arizona-STL game to help make a prediction on tomorrow's game.

Arizona offense: Palmer had the offense in a good rhythm and they moved the ball without difficulty for the most part. Turnovers were an issue, the OL at times provided ample time for Palmer to work the ball downfield to his receivers but the tackles lost too many individual battles. Levi Brown gave up 3 sacks and had a hold but Eric Winston on the right side seemed to be the worse player. Palmer did seem to understand escape routes pretty well but his athleticism is limited and he cant do much when flushed out of the pocket. Pressure up the middle seemed to be his biggest problem bc the scheme the Cards play is running deeper routes and he doesnt have the arm strength to make those throws when he doesnt have room or time to step up into the throw. Vs the Rams this resulted in an ugly INT. If Willie Young plays as well as he did against Matt Kalil this could be his breakout game but the Rams DEs are more talented passrushers than the Lions front so its hard to project this matchup and if Kalil was just having a bad day last week. Arizona runs a lot of single back, shotgun sets with 4 receivers and will motion any of the WRs across the formation to read if the offense is in zone or man and also to control the individual matchups. The offense is clearly designed around Larry Fitzgerald as he seemed to be the first read on most plays and completions to the other wideouts seemed like they took longer to develop. Fitzgerald's injury may be key but if he does play, he seems to not necessarily need a lot of speed to be effective given his size, strength and excellent hands. Roberts is probably there next most talented receiver and I think Chris Houston should be more than capable of handling him in most situations with double coverage rolled over to Fitzgerald and Bill Bentley losing some size to Michael Floyd who can go up and get a deep pass but doesnt seem like much of a deep speed threat. Cards TEs are not much of a threat and the backs are not special out of the backfield. Arians is a very aggressive play caller and will challenge the Lions deep if Palmer can be protected. Arizona functioned well in the 2 minute drill at the end of the first half, deciding not to run out the clock with ball deep in there own territory and less than 30 seconds, completing 3 pass plays and using timeouts and sideline routes to get into FG position but Jay Feely missed a long kick. At the end of the game the Cards had no timeouts and simply ran out of time as they were moving into FG position. If they had a timeout and 10 more seconds left the ARI-STL game maybe goes to OT. The Cards running game got most of there yardage when STL played with 6 in the box. Arians did try to run some vs an 8 man front when the Cards had a lead in the 4th quarter but abandoned that quickly. Mendenhall looks better than he did a year ago but isnt much to worry about and reserve Alfonso Smith gets the yards that are there, nothing more. The Lions D will be able to focus on pressuring the passer with the front 4 and leaving 5 or 6 DBs to deal with coverage. The Lions DT are far superior and some of the things the Lions did last week such as having Fairley and Suh lined up on the same side can really wreak havoc bc Jason Jones length lined up at DT will disrupt Palmer and also allow the Lions to test every individual matchup on that ARI OL. In my opinion, the Lions will not have as many sacks as the Rams had on ARI a weak ago but I think they will pressure Palmer more consistently and force him into more bad throws, and ARI will struggle to move the ball the way they did a weak ago. The Cards will come after Bentley and Slay though by forcing mismatches but I dont think they can expose the LBs much without a good receiving RB or a quality TE.

ST: Kickoff return man Arenas had a bad game, putting the ball on the ground on a kick return and indecisive on bringing the ball out of the end zone getting tackled inside the 10 on one occassion. Martin should challenge him to return kickoffs but they have Patrick Peterson returning punts so he will have to be careful not to outkick his punt coverage and focus more on hang time with his punts than depth. Cards did try several difft types of kickoffs last week, Feely can kick em for touchbacks but they also did many variations of squib kicks to either challenge the return man or force one of the deep blockers to field the ball. We may be able to see if Spurlock has any return skills. Feely did miss the one field goal but ARI did have good punt coverage. BC of Peterson's presence Ill give the special teams edge to the Cards. Lions will have to be smart to avoid a big play.

Arizona defense: The Cards defense gave up drives most of the game vs the Rams and a couple of big plays to TE Jared Cook with run after the catch ability. They blitz mostly only when the offense makes it inside the 25 yard line and also on 3rd down passing plays where strong secondary personnel can handle man coverage. They did confuse the Rams interior line with some delayed blitzes of the ILBs. Also they have John Abraham so if he s healthy they may want to try and make him a factor especially against Corey Hilliard who struggled in pass protection last week. The 3-4 DEs Dockett and Campbell are above average and though Dan Williams scored a TD-INT last week, I dont believe he s a prototypical 3-4 Nose or the type of player that Raiola would struggle with much. The LB group is decent but doesnt have any outright stars and the OLBs arent particulary great passrushers though Sam Acho is improving. Daryl Washington, there best LB is out. The Rams dumped a lot of balls to Richardson in the flat who didnt break anything but made solid gains. The Cards should have a harder time handling Bush and the Lions screen game which might also keep there blitz packages at bay and protecting Larry Warford from having to identify delayed blitzes. The Lions OL needs to do a better job of putting a body on somebody when the screen plays are in effect bc they formed some tunnels for Bush but didnt make a lot of blocks last week. Some of the quick slant plays the Lions ran a week ago might be more difficult to complete this week with the 4 LB sets and hidden coverages.

Coaching: Both teams are kind of sloppy but Arians calls a good game offensively and they did a good job keeping it close vs a Rams team that made more plays than them while Schwartz Lions massively underachieved last year and did an amazing job of blowing opportunities in the first half last week. I do however think it was a huge achievement that the Lions for the first time in the Schwartz era overcame a vicious cycle of meltdowns and pulled it together with a clean 2nd half. Either the Vikings are really bad or the Lions have a level of mental toughness that they havent had in a while. The edge goes to Arizona at headcoach but the Lions coordinators arent anything to scoff at. Edge: even

Prediction: Reggie Bush and Joique Bell should both continue there success of a week ago. The Lions will make Stafford's life easy with screens to Bush, TEs and open some plays up deep for Johnson who will also make some plays in the intermediate game. The screen game should also make it a little easier to run. Stafford will spread the ball around and get some key plays for more of his targets. Tony Scheffler if he s not declined should have one of his better games. Redzone scoring might be an issue but the Lions are learning to take advantage of the height they have. The Cards will stay in it for a while but the Lions DL will ultimately make more plays and Palmer isnt quite good enough to fully take advantage of a personnel edge at WR vs the Lions DBs.

Lions: 30
Cards: 24


September 14th, 2013, 1:21 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2249
Post Re: Lions Predictions
The Legend wrote:
Utilizing my subscription to NFL sunday ticket I watched the Arizona-STL game to help make a prediction on tomorrow's game.

Arizona offense: Palmer had the offense in a good rhythm and they moved the ball without difficulty for the most part. Turnovers were an issue, the OL at times provided ample time for Palmer to work the ball downfield to his receivers but the tackles lost too many individual battles. Levi Brown gave up 3 sacks and had a hold but Eric Winston on the right side seemed to be the worse player. Palmer did seem to understand escape routes pretty well but his athleticism is limited and he cant do much when flushed out of the pocket. Pressure up the middle seemed to be his biggest problem bc the scheme the Cards play is running deeper routes and he doesnt have the arm strength to make those throws when he doesnt have room or time to step up into the throw. Vs the Rams this resulted in an ugly INT. If Willie Young plays as well as he did against Matt Kalil this could be his breakout game but the Rams DEs are more talented passrushers than the Lions front so its hard to project this matchup and if Kalil was just having a bad day last week. Arizona runs a lot of single back, shotgun sets with 4 receivers and will motion any of the WRs across the formation to read if the offense is in zone or man and also to control the individual matchups. The offense is clearly designed around Larry Fitzgerald as he seemed to be the first read on most plays and completions to the other wideouts seemed like they took longer to develop. Fitzgerald's injury may be key but if he does play, he seems to not necessarily need a lot of speed to be effective given his size, strength and excellent hands. Roberts is probably there next most talented receiver and I think Chris Houston should be more than capable of handling him in most situations with double coverage rolled over to Fitzgerald and Bill Bentley losing some size to Michael Floyd who can go up and get a deep pass but doesnt seem like much of a deep speed threat. Cards TEs are not much of a threat and the backs are not special out of the backfield. Arians is a very aggressive play caller and will challenge the Lions deep if Palmer can be protected. Arizona functioned well in the 2 minute drill at the end of the first half, deciding not to run out the clock with ball deep in there own territory and less than 30 seconds, completing 3 pass plays and using timeouts and sideline routes to get into FG position but Jay Feely missed a long kick. At the end of the game the Cards had no timeouts and simply ran out of time as they were moving into FG position. If they had a timeout and 10 more seconds left the ARI-STL game maybe goes to OT. The Cards running game got most of there yardage when STL played with 6 in the box. Arians did try to run some vs an 8 man front when the Cards had a lead in the 4th quarter but abandoned that quickly. Mendenhall looks better than he did a year ago but isnt much to worry about and reserve Alfonso Smith gets the yards that are there, nothing more. The Lions D will be able to focus on pressuring the passer with the front 4 and leaving 5 or 6 DBs to deal with coverage. The Lions DT are far superior and some of the things the Lions did last week such as having Fairley and Suh lined up on the same side can really wreak havoc bc Jason Jones length lined up at DT will disrupt Palmer and also allow the Lions to test every individual matchup on that ARI OL. In my opinion, the Lions will not have as many sacks as the Rams had on ARI a weak ago but I think they will pressure Palmer more consistently and force him into more bad throws, and ARI will struggle to move the ball the way they did a weak ago. The Cards will come after Bentley and Slay though by forcing mismatches but I dont think they can expose the LBs much without a good receiving RB or a quality TE.

ST: Kickoff return man Arenas had a bad game, putting the ball on the ground on a kick return and indecisive on bringing the ball out of the end zone getting tackled inside the 10 on one occassion. Martin should challenge him to return kickoffs but they have Patrick Peterson returning punts so he will have to be careful not to outkick his punt coverage and focus more on hang time with his punts than depth. Cards did try several difft types of kickoffs last week, Feely can kick em for touchbacks but they also did many variations of squib kicks to either challenge the return man or force one of the deep blockers to field the ball. We may be able to see if Spurlock has any return skills. Feely did miss the one field goal but ARI did have good punt coverage. BC of Peterson's presence Ill give the special teams edge to the Cards. Lions will have to be smart to avoid a big play.

Arizona defense: The Cards defense gave up drives most of the game vs the Rams and a couple of big plays to TE Jared Cook with run after the catch ability. They blitz mostly only when the offense makes it inside the 25 yard line and also on 3rd down passing plays where strong secondary personnel can handle man coverage. They did confuse the Rams interior line with some delayed blitzes of the ILBs. Also they have John Abraham so if he s healthy they may want to try and make him a factor especially against Corey Hilliard who struggled in pass protection last week. The 3-4 DEs Dockett and Campbell are above average and though Dan Williams scored a TD-INT last week, I dont believe he s a prototypical 3-4 Nose or the type of player that Raiola would struggle with much. The LB group is decent but doesnt have any outright stars and the OLBs arent particulary great passrushers though Sam Acho is improving. Daryl Washington, there best LB is out. The Rams dumped a lot of balls to Richardson in the flat who didnt break anything but made solid gains. The Cards should have a harder time handling Bush and the Lions screen game which might also keep there blitz packages at bay and protecting Larry Warford from having to identify delayed blitzes. The Lions OL needs to do a better job of putting a body on somebody when the screen plays are in effect bc they formed some tunnels for Bush but didnt make a lot of blocks last week. Some of the quick slant plays the Lions ran a week ago might be more difficult to complete this week with the 4 LB sets and hidden coverages.

Coaching: Both teams are kind of sloppy but Arians calls a good game offensively and they did a good job keeping it close vs a Rams team that made more plays than them while Schwartz Lions massively underachieved last year and did an amazing job of blowing opportunities in the first half last week. I do however think it was a huge achievement that the Lions for the first time in the Schwartz era overcame a vicious cycle of meltdowns and pulled it together with a clean 2nd half. Either the Vikings are really bad or the Lions have a level of mental toughness that they havent had in a while. The edge goes to Arizona at headcoach but the Lions coordinators arent anything to scoff at. Edge: even

Prediction: Reggie Bush and Joique Bell should both continue there success of a week ago. The Lions will make Stafford's life easy with screens to Bush, TEs and open some plays up deep for Johnson who will also make some plays in the intermediate game. The screen game should also make it a little easier to run. Stafford will spread the ball around and get some key plays for more of his targets. Tony Scheffler if he s not declined should have one of his better games. Redzone scoring might be an issue but the Lions are learning to take advantage of the height they have. The Cards will stay in it for a while but the Lions DL will ultimately make more plays and Palmer isnt quite good enough to fully take advantage of a personnel edge at WR vs the Lions DBs.

Lions: 30
Cards: 24


Best breakdown I've seen of the upcoming game...thanks for taking the time to put that together!

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 14th, 2013, 6:54 pm
Profile
Junior Varsity

Joined: March 26th, 2006, 11:09 am
Posts: 165
Post Re: Lions Predictions
thelomasbrowns wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Utilizing my subscription to NFL sunday ticket I watched the Arizona-STL game to help make a prediction on tomorrow's game.

Arizona offense: Palmer had the offense in a good rhythm and they moved the ball without difficulty for the most part. Turnovers were an issue, the OL at times provided ample time for Palmer to work the ball downfield to his receivers but the tackles lost too many individual battles. Levi Brown gave up 3 sacks and had a hold but Eric Winston on the right side seemed to be the worse player. Palmer did seem to understand escape routes pretty well but his athleticism is limited and he cant do much when flushed out of the pocket. Pressure up the middle seemed to be his biggest problem bc the scheme the Cards play is running deeper routes and he doesnt have the arm strength to make those throws when he doesnt have room or time to step up into the throw. Vs the Rams this resulted in an ugly INT. If Willie Young plays as well as he did against Matt Kalil this could be his breakout game but the Rams DEs are more talented passrushers than the Lions front so its hard to project this matchup and if Kalil was just having a bad day last week. Arizona runs a lot of single back, shotgun sets with 4 receivers and will motion any of the WRs across the formation to read if the offense is in zone or man and also to control the individual matchups. The offense is clearly designed around Larry Fitzgerald as he seemed to be the first read on most plays and completions to the other wideouts seemed like they took longer to develop. Fitzgerald's injury may be key but if he does play, he seems to not necessarily need a lot of speed to be effective given his size, strength and excellent hands. Roberts is probably there next most talented receiver and I think Chris Houston should be more than capable of handling him in most situations with double coverage rolled over to Fitzgerald and Bill Bentley losing some size to Michael Floyd who can go up and get a deep pass but doesnt seem like much of a deep speed threat. Cards TEs are not much of a threat and the backs are not special out of the backfield. Arians is a very aggressive play caller and will challenge the Lions deep if Palmer can be protected. Arizona functioned well in the 2 minute drill at the end of the first half, deciding not to run out the clock with ball deep in there own territory and less than 30 seconds, completing 3 pass plays and using timeouts and sideline routes to get into FG position but Jay Feely missed a long kick. At the end of the game the Cards had no timeouts and simply ran out of time as they were moving into FG position. If they had a timeout and 10 more seconds left the ARI-STL game maybe goes to OT. The Cards running game got most of there yardage when STL played with 6 in the box. Arians did try to run some vs an 8 man front when the Cards had a lead in the 4th quarter but abandoned that quickly. Mendenhall looks better than he did a year ago but isnt much to worry about and reserve Alfonso Smith gets the yards that are there, nothing more. The Lions D will be able to focus on pressuring the passer with the front 4 and leaving 5 or 6 DBs to deal with coverage. The Lions DT are far superior and some of the things the Lions did last week such as having Fairley and Suh lined up on the same side can really wreak havoc bc Jason Jones length lined up at DT will disrupt Palmer and also allow the Lions to test every individual matchup on that ARI OL. In my opinion, the Lions will not have as many sacks as the Rams had on ARI a weak ago but I think they will pressure Palmer more consistently and force him into more bad throws, and ARI will struggle to move the ball the way they did a weak ago. The Cards will come after Bentley and Slay though by forcing mismatches but I dont think they can expose the LBs much without a good receiving RB or a quality TE.

ST: Kickoff return man Arenas had a bad game, putting the ball on the ground on a kick return and indecisive on bringing the ball out of the end zone getting tackled inside the 10 on one occassion. Martin should challenge him to return kickoffs but they have Patrick Peterson returning punts so he will have to be careful not to outkick his punt coverage and focus more on hang time with his punts than depth. Cards did try several difft types of kickoffs last week, Feely can kick em for touchbacks but they also did many variations of squib kicks to either challenge the return man or force one of the deep blockers to field the ball. We may be able to see if Spurlock has any return skills. Feely did miss the one field goal but ARI did have good punt coverage. BC of Peterson's presence Ill give the special teams edge to the Cards. Lions will have to be smart to avoid a big play.

Arizona defense: The Cards defense gave up drives most of the game vs the Rams and a couple of big plays to TE Jared Cook with run after the catch ability. They blitz mostly only when the offense makes it inside the 25 yard line and also on 3rd down passing plays where strong secondary personnel can handle man coverage. They did confuse the Rams interior line with some delayed blitzes of the ILBs. Also they have John Abraham so if he s healthy they may want to try and make him a factor especially against Corey Hilliard who struggled in pass protection last week. The 3-4 DEs Dockett and Campbell are above average and though Dan Williams scored a TD-INT last week, I dont believe he s a prototypical 3-4 Nose or the type of player that Raiola would struggle with much. The LB group is decent but doesnt have any outright stars and the OLBs arent particulary great passrushers though Sam Acho is improving. Daryl Washington, there best LB is out. The Rams dumped a lot of balls to Richardson in the flat who didnt break anything but made solid gains. The Cards should have a harder time handling Bush and the Lions screen game which might also keep there blitz packages at bay and protecting Larry Warford from having to identify delayed blitzes. The Lions OL needs to do a better job of putting a body on somebody when the screen plays are in effect bc they formed some tunnels for Bush but didnt make a lot of blocks last week. Some of the quick slant plays the Lions ran a week ago might be more difficult to complete this week with the 4 LB sets and hidden coverages.

Coaching: Both teams are kind of sloppy but Arians calls a good game offensively and they did a good job keeping it close vs a Rams team that made more plays than them while Schwartz Lions massively underachieved last year and did an amazing job of blowing opportunities in the first half last week. I do however think it was a huge achievement that the Lions for the first time in the Schwartz era overcame a vicious cycle of meltdowns and pulled it together with a clean 2nd half. Either the Vikings are really bad or the Lions have a level of mental toughness that they havent had in a while. The edge goes to Arizona at headcoach but the Lions coordinators arent anything to scoff at. Edge: even

Prediction: Reggie Bush and Joique Bell should both continue there success of a week ago. The Lions will make Stafford's life easy with screens to Bush, TEs and open some plays up deep for Johnson who will also make some plays in the intermediate game. The screen game should also make it a little easier to run. Stafford will spread the ball around and get some key plays for more of his targets. Tony Scheffler if he s not declined should have one of his better games. Redzone scoring might be an issue but the Lions are learning to take advantage of the height they have. The Cards will stay in it for a while but the Lions DL will ultimately make more plays and Palmer isnt quite good enough to fully take advantage of a personnel edge at WR vs the Lions DBs.

Lions: 30
Cards: 24


Best breakdown I've seen of the upcoming game...thanks for taking the time to put that together!


+1, he truly lived up to his name this week! =D>


September 15th, 2013, 8:00 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3530
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions Predictions
thanks for appreciating the post. hard to predict missing two FGs (1 blocked), Fairley missing the game and Bush coming out of the game. they did go after bentley and slay and beat both of them (pretty sure the Ellington long TD pass was Slay's man in deep third, possibly was Levy's fault) and Palmer didnt really make a good throw on that last PI but Bentley bailed him out. Tough to win on the road in the NFL.


September 15th, 2013, 7:37 pm
Profile
Veteran General Manager
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7249
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions Predictions
BillySims wrote:
Week 1 - Sept. 8 - vs. Minnesota Vikings - W I am not a Ponder believer and Peterson will not repeat last season. I predict lots of pain for Ponder. W But, man that game was maddening. The 1st half was a comedy of errors. But, cudos to the Lions for not getting down and giving up.
Week 2 - Sept. 15 - at Arizona Cardinals - L I am glad we get this game early. Hopefully, Palmer hasn't jelled with Fitz yet. But, I suspect he already has. Well, the Lions just don't have any luck in the desert. At least we are staring down the barrel of a 3 game winning streak. LOL.
Week 3 - Sept. 22 - at Washington Redskins - W The Lions have never won a game in the nations capitol. It's time we Slay ( see what I did there?) that dragon.
Week 4 - Sept. 29 - vs. Chicago Bears - W It's in our house. Our D Line dominates. Cutler throws 2 pick 6's.
Week 5 - Oct. 6 - at Green Bay Packers - W The Laimbeau losing streak ends now. All things must come to an end sometime. This one goes down this year.
Week 6 - Oct. 13 - at Cleveland Browns - L A let down after an emotional win.
Week 7 - Oct. 20 - vs. Cincinnati Bengals - L The Bengals are good. Really good.
Week 8 - Oct. 27 - vs. Dallas Cowboys - W Cowboys D-line is already the walking wounded.
Week 9 - BYE
Week 10 - Nov. 10 - at Chicago Bears - W Lions are looking for a sweep of the division. D-Line dominates again.
Week 11 - Nov. 17 - at Pittsburgh Steelers - L Sorry, but, it's in Pittsburgh.
Week 12 - Nov. 24 - vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - W This goes to O.T.
Week 13 - Nov. 28 - vs. Green Bay Packers - W Lions still perfect in the division and win on a national stage and lock in a playoff spot.
Week 14 - Dec. 8 - at Philadelphia Eagles - W Vick will be paralyzed by now.
Week 15 - Dec. 16 - vs. Baltimore Ravens - W if this was in Baltimore it's a loss.
Week 16 - Dec. 22 - vs. New York Giants - L Eli needs a win to make the playoffs. He gets it.
Week 17 - Dec. 29 - at Minnesota Vikings - W Vikings playing for draft position.

11-5 We win the division and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. There is a huge blizzard during the SB and NE Patriots win the game because they are a northern team that actually plays outside and as such, are more used to the weather. But, hey, at least we finally made it to the show.


September 15th, 2013, 8:22 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3169
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Lions Predictions
I think this game right here cost us a shot at the playoffs. I know it's only week 2, but at most I see 8 more wins. 9-7 doesn't do it and that's of course if we win all the other games.


September 15th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11944
Post Re: Lions Predictions
BillySims wrote:
Week 2 - Sept. 15 - at Arizona Cardinals - L I am glad we get this game early. Hopefully, Palmer hasn't jelled with Fitz yet. But, I suspect he already has. Well, the Lions just don't have any luck in the desert. At least we are staring down the barrel of a 3 game winning streak. LOL.
You mean 3 game losing streak, right?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


September 15th, 2013, 11:20 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DayDreamer, Google [Bot], LionsFan4Life and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.