View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 10:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Random thoughts after week 2 
3rd Round Selection

Post Random thoughts after week 2
Just seen the game this evening thanks to timezones/work.

Here we go:

1. Ouch, that hurt.

2. That really hurt. How did we not manage to win that?

3. Ok, calm down: it was hugely, hugely irritating but let's not overreact now.

4. FIRE SCHWARTZ. CUT PETTIGREW. FIRE SCHWARTZ.

5. Ok, that was an overreaction. Try again.

6. CUT PETTIGREW. FIRE SCHWARTZ. CUT PETTIGREW. CUT AKERS.

7. Ok, being serious: it wasn't that bad. We hung with them 'til the end. One or two things go the other way, we win.

8. How the f*ck are you still so optimistic after so many years of supporting this team?

9. I'm a masochist.

Right, some proper thoughts.

Do refs and QBs regularly fist bump? I have never seen this before. 1:25 left in the 3rd Q, Detroit have been hit with two big penalties: hands to the face (negating a turnover) and roughing the passer. Palmer fist bumps the head ref. This may be cultural differences, I don't know: if that happens here in any sport, there's an outcry of bias. Is it normal in the US? Why has no one mentioned it? I thought both calls were fair, don't get me wrong, but players and refs fist bumping? WTF?

The offence didn't seem to get into a rhythm. Surprised in the lack of faith in Bell - we seemed to change gameplan once Bush went down.

Not enough pressure on Palmer early, IMO - even with the exotic blitzes. Seemed to improve later, but their O-Line were dominant early. We missed Fairley. IMO, we are a playoff caliber first string (both sides of the ball) with little depth. How many NFL teams go through the season with no first string injuries? Hoping for no injuries is not a strategy for success.

F*cking hell Pett - just awful.

I want to be fair to Akers and say "he was hit, the block wasn't his fault" but the man just does not inspire confidence at all.

Good game for Martin vs Peterson.

Couple of things go our way, we win. Equally let's not pretend Calvin's first TD wasn't tinged with luck: Peterson doesn't think "INT" and that's a 7yd gain instead of 70.

53s. Covered elsewhere but, yes: WTF?

I can't get too depressed with this, though. Week 2. Cards a decent team, IMO. Away. Tight game. I've still got hope for the rest of the season.

Yes, I'm a masochist.

September 16th, 2013, 5:19 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Post Re: Random thoughts after week 2
Honestly, IMO forget the 53 seconds. Keep Bush out after the injury, and he can't fumble. Get a somewhat decent ST coordinator and the kick isn't blocked. 22-21. Grr

September 16th, 2013, 5:31 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

To Clear something up "the card are a decent team". NO, They Arent.

Not Counting Drubbing the Lions 38-10 Last October and Yesterdays Win, the Cardinals havent won a game since Sept 30th of Last year. They Lost 12 of their Last 14, only beating the Lions.

Yes they added a decent QB (old but solid), but they shouldnt even have been in the game yesterday, let alone win at the end.

After wasting those 53 Seconds before halftime....

2nd Half Lions Stats:
68 yds Passing and 14 yds rushing.
9:47 Time Of Possession
7 Pts (Levy Interception Return)

2nd Half Drives:
49 Seconds - 2 Plays - 7 Yds on 1st, Bush Fumble on 2nd Play
14 Seconds - 3 & Out , Punt
1 Min 27 Seconds - 3 & Out, 5 yd Run - Staff 1 yd Slide, Inc, Punt
5 Min 34 Seconds - Only Real Drive - 50 Yds, FG Blocked
53 Seconds - 3 & Out , Punt
50 Seconds - 1 First Down (Petts Diving Catch), Inc , Inc, 6yd Pass, Inc - Turnover on Downs

Just Embarrasing.

September 16th, 2013, 6:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
3rd Round Selection

We'll see, I guess. I think they'll finish with 5 or 6 wins and an out of division record around .5. Anyhow, I agree on our 2nd half offense.

I think my post week 1 assessment stands: I can see us winning any game on our schedule, and losing any. Although I think this looks a lot like 2012 - we'll find more ways to shoot ourselves in the foot than we will to play to our potential.

September 16th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Detroit have been hit with two big penalties: hands to the face (negating a turnover) and roughing the passer. Palmer fist bumps the head ref
Stafford does this all the time

September 16th, 2013, 7:04 pm

DJ-B wrote:

Not Counting Drubbing the Lions 38-10 Last October and Yesterdays Win, the Cardinals havent won a game since Sept 30th of Last year. They Lost 12 of their Last 14, only beating the Lions.

Yes they added a decent QB (old but solid), but they shouldnt even have been in the game yesterday, let alone win at the end.

2nd Half Lions Stats:

2nd Half Drives:
50 Seconds - 1 First Down (Petts Diving Catch), Inc , Inc, 6yd Pass, Inc - Turnover on Downs

Just Embarrasing.

Don't forget: The Cards' coach was Coach of the Year last year. Arians is a really good coach and will have them respectable this year (I'm super happy he didn't go to Chicago). They're in a really tough division though.

No excuses because we should have won this one, but let's give some credit to the Cards.

September 16th, 2013, 9:23 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

2nd Half Lions Stats:

2nd Half Drives:

Just Embarrasing.

Don't forget: The Cards' coach was Coach of the Year last year. Arians is a really good coach and will have them respectable this year (I'm super happy he didn't go to Chicago). They're in a really tough division though.

No excuses because we should have won this one, but let's give some credit to the Cards.

Sorry, but I have to agree with DJ-B on this one. The Cardinals are NOT a good team. They definitely have some talent, but overall don't have enough of the pieces they need to really compete with better teams. A good coach is only as good as the talent he has at his disposal. In another season or two, it may be a different story and the Cards could be in the thick of things. But even with Fitz, the Cards are a largely beatable team. Without him, they become even less than mediocre. Their record over the past 14 games shows that. It also shows the Lions can't win the games they should.

EDIT TO ADD: If Schwartz was any kind of decent coach, he would sit Pettigrew for at least the first half of this coming game. There is no way that he should be allowed to continue such sh*tty performances for two weeks without some form of repercussion and a statement that tells him it won't be tolerated any longer. And if I'm Mayhew, I start dangling him as trade bait and make it publicly known I'm doing so. That, along with sitting for a half without playing, might wake him the fu(k up.

September 16th, 2013, 9:35 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Guys it isn't complicated:

Healthy Bush & healthy Calvin Johnson = win

otherwise, lose.

This is exactly why the Lions were a different team when they had a healthy Best. They need that speedy, pass catching RB to open up the offense. Without one, they can't do ****.

September 16th, 2013, 9:54 pm
Hall of Fame Player

UK Lion wrote:
Just seen the game this evening thanks to timezones/work.

Here we go:

1. Ouch, that hurt.

2. That really hurt. How did we not manage to win that?

3. Ok, calm down: it was hugely, hugely irritating but let's not overreact now.

4. FIRE SCHWARTZ. CUT PETTIGREW. FIRE SCHWARTZ.

5. Ok, that was an overreaction. Try again.

6. CUT PETTIGREW. FIRE SCHWARTZ. CUT PETTIGREW. CUT AKERS.

7. Ok, being serious: it wasn't that bad. We hung with them 'til the end. One or two things go the other way, we win.

8. How the f*ck are you still so optimistic after so many years of supporting this team?

9. I'm a masochist.

Right, some proper thoughts.

Do refs and QBs regularly fist bump? I have never seen this before. 1:25 left in the 3rd Q, Detroit have been hit with two big penalties: hands to the face (negating a turnover) and roughing the passer. Palmer fist bumps the head ref. This may be cultural differences, I don't know: if that happens here in any sport, there's an outcry of bias. Is it normal in the US? Why has no one mentioned it? I thought both calls were fair, don't get me wrong, but players and refs fist bumping? WTF?

The offence didn't seem to get into a rhythm. Surprised in the lack of faith in Bell - we seemed to change gameplan once Bush went down.

Not enough pressure on Palmer early, IMO - even with the exotic blitzes. Seemed to improve later, but their O-Line were dominant early. We missed Fairley. IMO, we are a playoff caliber first string (both sides of the ball) with little depth. How many NFL teams go through the season with no first string injuries? Hoping for no injuries is not a strategy for success.

F*cking hell Pett - just awful.

I want to be fair to Akers and say "he was hit, the block wasn't his fault" but the man just does not inspire confidence at all.

Good game for Martin vs Peterson.

Couple of things go our way, we win. Equally let's not pretend Calvin's first TD wasn't tinged with luck: Peterson doesn't think "INT" and that's a 7yd gain instead of 70.

53s. Covered elsewhere but, yes: WTF?

I can't get too depressed with this, though. Week 2. Cards a decent team, IMO. Away. Tight game. I've still got hope for the rest of the season.

Yes, I'm a masochist.

I agree with pretty much all the above. Plus, you had to know that the Cardinals entered the game desperate to not go 0-2. In the last 3 years ZERO teams that started 0-2 made the playoffs. Historically, if you start 0-2, you have only a 12% chance to make the playoffs.

September 16th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Quote:

This

In Schwartz entire time here, we have beaten only 1 great QB(when we knocked Aaron Rodgers out with a concussion) and he has out-coached NO ONE. He has yet to beat a really good coach IN FOUR YEARS. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

September 17th, 2013, 12:16 am
Team MVP

I just don't know.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 17th, 2013, 2:23 am

Blueskies wrote:
Guys it isn't complicated:

Healthy Bush & healthy Calvin Johnson = win

otherwise, lose.

This is exactly why the Lions were a different team when they had a healthy Best. They need that speedy, pass catching RB to open up the offense. Without one, they can't do ****.

Which is an indictment of the Coaching Staff and Scheme. THose types of backs get injured often. There are Tons of OCs around the league who could come in and get more from an offense that has an OK Pass Blocking Line, Stafford and CJ and a Regular run game, not focused on a speedback.

September 17th, 2013, 5:14 am
Profile ICQ WWW

I'm wondering if not taking Denard will come back to haunt us if Reggie misses time...

September 17th, 2013, 7:43 am
RIP Killer

UK Lion wrote:
Yes, I'm a masochist.

Let's just leave it at this.

September 17th, 2013, 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Pablo wrote:
UK Lion wrote: