View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Random thoughts after week 2 
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Re: Random thoughts after week 2
Actually, one way of looking at it is this is a win-win situation. Lions win enough games to make play-offs, and we're all happy. Or the more likely scenario, Lions struggle, maybe win half their games, miss play-offs, Fords broom the underachieving coaching staff, and we're all happy. Hopefully, in the latter scenario they include the poor drafting Mayhew as well.

September 17th, 2013, 9:07 am
Hall of Fame Player

This is a game we should have won. It's very disappointing to see this team find a way to lose.

Stupid penalties.
Botched FG attempts.
Bad clock management.
And the consistent, recurring and unforgivable; 'Need X yards - throw X-2 yards'. WTF!! ](*,)

September 17th, 2013, 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

m2karate said:
EDIT TO ADD: If Schwartz was any kind of decent coach, he would sit Pettigrew for at least the first half of this coming game. There is no way that he should be allowed to continue such sh*tty performances for two weeks without some form of repercussion and a statement that tells him it won't be tolerated any longer. And if I'm Mayhew, I start dangling him as trade bait and make it publicly known I'm doing so. That, along with sitting for a half without playing, might wake him the fu(k up

I completely agree. I have no idea why we are not giving his snaps to Fauria? Nothing will hurt Pickweblew more in his contract year than benching him for an undrafted free agent who seems to be better than him in every respect. 2 TE set - Eminem (I mean Scheffler) and Big Joe Fauria

September 17th, 2013, 12:08 pm
Stadium Announcer

unfortunately this was the first game i got to watch on sunday ticket :(

1. seriously, how do we lose this game? watched it twice to figure it out, and we flat out played a better game. seriously, still cant figure it out.

2. Could the dumb penalties have come early in the game instead of on the last drive?

3. Pettigrew, if you could make catches on the last drive all game, we would not be in that position. i cant stand seeing him on the field.

4. WHY DID FAURIA PLAY ONE SNAP??????? hes a matchup nightmare. our offense clearly was not getting it done, do something different to bring some life to it.

5. I like Bell alot, but if he wants to be our back up he needs to improve his hands more. he dropped at least three passes with nobody in front of him.

6. special teams still sucks whilst not giving up tds, they are leaving points on the field. Akers had an awful year last year still not sure why we signed him. Spurlock is worthless, albeit hasnt taken a knee at the 4 yet, but man we cannot hope to have 90+ yard drives for tds on a consistent basis. Sam Martin is the exception.

September 17th, 2013, 12:41 pm
1st Round Pick

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
m2karate said:
EDIT TO ADD: If Schwartz was any kind of decent coach, he would sit Pettigrew for at least the first half of this coming game. There is no way that he should be allowed to continue such sh*tty performances for two weeks without some form of repercussion and a statement that tells him it won't be tolerated any longer. And if I'm Mayhew, I start dangling him as trade bait and make it publicly known I'm doing so. That, along with sitting for a half without playing, might wake him the fu(k up

I completely agree. I have no idea why we are not giving his snaps to Fauria? Nothing will hurt Pickweblew more in his contract year than benching him for an undrafted free agent who seems to be better than him in every respect. 2 TE set - Eminem (I mean Scheffler) and Big Joe Fauria

Neither Scheffler or Fauria can block, so they can't be on the field for run plays unless they are spread out as WRs. When it it comes to blocking and receiving Pettigrew is the only option on the roster. Pettigrew should be benched for a quarter or something, but if they do that they can't use the other 2 guys in his place and will need to run from formations that don't use the TE as an inline blocker.

September 17th, 2013, 12:47 pm
Pro Bowl Player

What on earth leads you guys to believe that benching Pettigrew is somehow going to make him stop dropping the football?

He's a veteran player. This is his fifth season. What you see is what you get. Drops are just part of his game, like Ben Wallace and his inability to make free throws.

Tolerate it, or get rid of him

September 17th, 2013, 4:30 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
What on earth leads you guys to believe that benching Pettigrew is somehow going to make him stop dropping the football?

He's a veteran player. This is his fifth season. What you see is what you get. Drops are just part of his game, like Ben Wallace and his inability to make free throws.

Tolerate it, or get rid of him

No Blueskies, it's not you get what you see. Pettigrew CAN catch the football, but he is not putting any concentration into it. And without suffering any repercussions for his lack of concentration (caring) over it, he won't find the need to work on improving the situation. His past two games have been his worst that I can remember in regards to his inability to catch the ball. They've never even tried to bench him. Perhaps it will work, perhaps it won't. I believe it's worth it to send him, and the rest of the team, a stern message. Make plays, or make space for yourself on the bench. And, as CMB said, Pett is in his contract year. Getting benched at the beginning of the season for lack of performance is a smack in the wallet for his future. If he doesn't understand that, his agent will make sure he does.

Regardless of whether or not we have a player on the roster with his skill set, he needs to be told in no uncertain terms that he can be replaced. Because in the end, if he isn't using his skill as he could, a different player is an upgrade. Maybe not an upgrade in talent, but at least other players on the team could feel inspired. I've been on teams where one player can bring down the mood and performance of the entire squad through their lack of performance and effort. While these guys are 'professional' athletes, they are mostly still very young. One bad apple.....

Before they simply get rid of him, and instead of simply tolerating him, they should make a simple attempt to discipline him.

September 17th, 2013, 10:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2