View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Don't drink the (holy) water 
RIP Killer

Post Don't drink the (holy) water
As somebody raised Catholic, I find this particularly disturbing...

Quote:
Most holy water harbors fecal matter

New study finds the water at church is a dangerous place to dip your hand.
By Sally Wadyka

I was born and raised in a Catholic family. I attended Catholic school and went to church every Sunday and on holidays. A key part of the going-to-church ritual was blessing yourself with holy water upon entering. You dip your hand in the font and then bless yourself with the holy water (for non-Christians, this motion involves touching your forehead, your chest, left shoulder, then right shoulder).

Little did I know that that simple ritual could have actually made me sick.
A team of researchers at the Institute of Hygiene and Applied Immunology at the Medical University of Vienna decided to find out exactly what’s in the holy water that religious people routinely dip into or even sip (many so-called holy springs have a reputation for helping to heal whatever ails you).

The researchers analyzed the water in 21 of these holy springs in Austria, as well as the water from 18 different church fonts in Vienna.

What they found was pretty disturbing. Apparently, every milliliter of holy water contains up to 62 million bacteria -- most of them not stuff you really want on your hands or in your gut. In fact, 86 percent of the water tested contained fecal matter. And if that’s not bad enough, it was also widely contaminated with E. coli, enterococci and Campylobacter (a common cause of inflammatory diarrhea). Only 14 percent of the holy springs met the microbiological and chemical requirements of drinking water regulations, and many of them tested positive for nitrates from agriculture, which are unsafe for drinking.

At the very least, the researchers urge, people should be warned about drinking from these sources. But even the seemingly innocuous practice of blessing yourself with holy water from the font as you enter the church can be hazardous to your health. Not surprisingly, the fonts in the busiest churches were the most contaminated. But those in hospital chapels also raised a red flag, where holy water could easily spread infection to people least able to fight it off.

The solution? First of all, don’t drink the water, no matter how sacred it might seem. And the researchers suggest that churches change out the water in the fonts frequently, plus add some salt to it to help curb bacteria. Or, if you go to church when you’re feeling a little rundown, you might just want to skip the ritual altogether.

September 17th, 2013, 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Don't drink the (holy) water
SO hard to resist inflammatory obligatory remarks..... but I like too many ppl here so ill behave. Honestly not surprised at all though. Many people still don't wash their hands after using restroom.

September 17th, 2013, 2:34 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

If this bothers people they should make sure not to borrow someones cell phone because most of those also are sprinkled with fecal matter. Hell every time someone farts there is fecal matter in the air, these studies always make me laugh. My favor study is when they measure the amount of insect parts that are in food, you never notice them but you eat tons of them.

September 17th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

There a difference between handling a friends cell phone, and licking it to ingest what is on it, but i get your point. The blessing themselves isnt much diff than using a public restroom and not using a paper tower to open the door (i dont do this), but drinking it is another matter entirely.

September 18th, 2013, 7:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

DJ-B wrote:
There a difference between handling a friends cell phone, and licking it to ingest what is on it, but i get your point. The blessing themselves isnt much diff than using a public restroom and not using a paper tower to open the door (i dont do this), but drinking it is another matter entirely.

Not many people wash their hands after handling a friends cell phone and its not uncommon for this to happen over lunch. I used to fix cell phones and I always kept hand sanitizer nearby plus washed my hands constantly. It's amazing how dirty people allow their phone to get without thinking its a problem. I could have started a cosmetics business with all the foundation I had to clean off of phones.

Do people often drink holy water? I don't remember ever seeing that when I did go to Church. I think if anyone would have asked me to drink it I would have gave them a crazy look. I would never drink from water tons of random people put their hands in.

September 18th, 2013, 10:59 pm
RIP Killer

They might not drink the holy water, but they all drink from the same wine glasses - I always found that disgusting.

September 19th, 2013, 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]