View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Next up: Washington Redskins 
Modmin Dude

Post Next up: Washington Redskins
Please use this thread to discuss this weekend's game and all things related...

September 19th, 2013, 9:11 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Next up: Washington Redskins
PFT wrote:
Bush currently is 50-50 to play on Sunday
Posted by Mike Florio on September 18, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT

As Lions running back Reggie Bush tries to prove that he can be a durable and consistent every-down back, a fairly stiff test of his ability to suit up and play is looming.

Bush didn’t practice on Wednesday due to a knee injury suffered when he took a helmet to the joint on Sunday at Arizona. Per a league source, Bush currently has a 50-50 chance to play on Sunday against the Redskins in D.C.

The Lions need Bush; he instantly diversified the offense in Week One. Without him, Joique Bell will see more opportunities as the Lions try to seize their chance to win in Washington (OK, Maryland) for the first time ever.

Still, without No. 21 it will be even harder to snap an 0-21 road streak against the Redskins, with Detroit’s last win coming in 1935 at Boston.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... on-sunday/

September 19th, 2013, 9:13 am
RIP Killer

I think too much is being made of Bush's play in week one, and the jump to conclusions that without him the Lions offense becomes stagnant. If our line can open some holes, I have more faith in Bell grinding out yards than Bush. Bell can catch the ball out of the backfield, even if he didn't do a great job of that against Arizona. If Washington chooses to protect against the pass, they'll likely use a 3-3 and go with 5 DBs most of the time, then our running game can work IF our OL can get to the second level and take out a LB or two.

Also, the Lions should consider using Riddick as their third down option out of the backfield, since he is an excellent pass catcher and former receiver.

The key to this game is shutting down RG3. If the Lions can contain him and make him throw from the pocket, they have a good chance of winning. He's looked terrible throwing the ball so far.

September 19th, 2013, 10:48 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Talking about the SOL, we always seem to be 'just what the doctor ordered' when it comes to a struggling team. I really hope that doesn't happen Sunday, but I'll be honest, I'm afraid it will.

September 19th, 2013, 10:59 am
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
I think too much is being made of Bush's play in week one, and the jump to conclusions that without him the Lions offense becomes stagnant. If our line can open some holes, I have more faith in Bell grinding out yards than Bush. Bell can catch the ball out of the backfield, even if he didn't do a great job of that against Arizona. If Washington chooses to protect against the pass, they'll likely use a 3-3 and go with 5 DBs most of the time, then our running game can work IF our OL can get to the second level and take out a LB or two.

Also, the Lions should consider using Riddick as their third down option out of the backfield, since he is an excellent pass catcher and former receiver.

The key to this game is shutting down RG3. If the Lions can contain him and make him throw from the pocket, they have a good chance of winning. He's looked terrible throwing the ball so far.

Bell is great as a change of pace guy but he doesn't make plays happen like Bush. Bell just lacks the speed needed to be a threat. He'll grind out yards and be an active part of the offense, but without Bush they go down to one offensive threat in CJ. Bush is key to making the offense move smoothly. They can score without him, but it's going to be a hell of a lot harder.

I would like to see them use Riddick now that Bush is a little banged up. It may help push Durham off the damn field. I really don't understand why they aren't just using Scheffler in Durhams spot, he basically the same size and at least he doesn't trip over himself running routes.

September 19th, 2013, 11:34 am
Walk On

I'll predict that RGIII struggles and throws 2 INTs in the first half. So then they actually pull him and put Rex Grossman in there to throw 2 more INTs.

Lion: 37
Skin: 13

September 19th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Heisman Winner

Bush being out in itself might not be the death sentence, but add his absence to that of Patrick Edwards/Ryan Broyles, and we might have an offensive disaster on our hands. This one's on our defense, win lose or draw, it's up to Suh and company.

And I hope No 81 has a monstrous game this Sunday.

September 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

DayDreamer wrote:
Bush being out in itself might not be the death sentence, but add his absence to that of Patrick Edwards/Ryan Broyles, and we might have an offensive disaster on our hands. This one's on our defense, win lose or draw, it's up to Suh and company.

And I hope No 81 has a monstrous game this Sunday.

we know what we re getting from Suh so its really up to Bentley, Slay and company.

September 19th, 2013, 1:00 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
I think too much is being made of Bush's play in week one, and the jump to conclusions that without him the Lions offense becomes stagnant.

I Dont think so, but i think thats more Linehans inability to run an effective offense without a speedback than Bushs prowess over Bell. Look at the Lions Record with Best/Bush healthy over the past 3 years , and then without. Its staggering how stagnant our Offense gets in general whenever that speedback isnt in the lineup... its like its Linehans security blanket and he freezes without it, even with weeks/months to prepare.

I Definitely don't disagree that it Shouldnt be an issue, but i think it is, and I think bush should sit this week to be healthy for as much of the season as possible, but I also expect us to lose if we play without him.

September 19th, 2013, 1:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pop Warner Rookie

if you look at 2011 when best got hurt, stafford was still able to light it up. it all depends on spreading the ball around and the other options besides calvin not dropping the ball (stares angrily at pettigrew) or having the ability to get open without offensive pass interference(shakes head in dissapointment at burleson) or not getting hurt ( injects cortizone into both of ryan broyles knees.) Our offense went stagnant last year because we had zero big play ability from running back, pass catching or other wise, so we had to play against 8 dropping back with 6 in the box and still trying to pass. We gave leshoure his shot last year, they realized they were wrong and seeing what Bell can do. with all that said, our offense DOES work alot better with a scat back. I hope bush is healthy enough to play, but i also hope he doesnt push himself to far in week 3. Lets see what riddick or whatever 170lb schmuck we have back there can do.

I hope we are not the jonas salk to RG3's polio.

September 19th, 2013, 2:13 pm

I.E. wrote:
I'll predict that RGIII struggles and throws 2 INTs in the first half. So then they actually pull him and put Rex Grossman in there to throw 2 more INTs.

wouldnt cousins come in if rg3 came out?

September 19th, 2013, 4:14 pm
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Yes, but one can hope can't he?

September 19th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Walk On

Pablo wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Yes, but one can hope can't he?

I thought he was still injured... but hope sounds fine!

September 19th, 2013, 7:33 pm
Team MVP

My thoughts are the Lions are facing the NFLs worst pass defense. Thats a plus. Fairley should be back, and HOPEFULLY Broyles. Another couple plus's.

On the other hand, Washington (AT washington) is in a must-win situation. They've gotta wake up sooner or later, right? Thats what im afraid of.

I still say Lions win, but 31-30.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 19th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Been talking to a buddy of mine about how the Lions need to use Riddick in the same manner as they use Bush.. I think the kid can get it done in that manner.

I'm afraid the Lions may lose this one just on the fact that I have a hard time seeing the 'Skins start out 0-3 plus the Lions have never won there. With that said.... GO LIONS!!!

NEVER GIVE UP!

September 20th, 2013, 8:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next