View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:28 am



Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 53 seconds 
Author Message
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2284
Post Re: 53 seconds
Agreed. and as long as the replacement is a no doubt upgrade and not just an expirement , we could very well see a 49ers like turnaround.


September 19th, 2013, 2:56 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Heisman Winner

Joined: February 10th, 2005, 6:52 pm
Posts: 809
Location: Linden, MI
Post Re: 53 seconds
I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Mahew deserves the chance to hire a 2nd coach. His job is to draft players, and his record is beginning to look a lot like his old boss is still there. Sunday there was one player active from the 2011 draft on the roster. He hasn't missed on some of the rd 1 guys so far, but he's blown rounds 2-5 for the most part.

I like the duo and hope they can pull it out. I just don't see anything that makes me think the team will all of a sudden become much better.

_________________
OK. Schwartz is fired, the fans are happy, now what?


September 19th, 2013, 8:57 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 53 seconds
jrd66 wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Mahew deserves the chance to hire a 2nd coach. His job is to draft players, and his record is beginning to look a lot like his old boss is still there. Sunday there was one player active from the 2011 draft on the roster. He hasn't missed on some of the rd 1 guys so far, but he's blown rounds 2-5 for the most part.

I like the duo and hope they can pull it out. I just don't see anything that makes me think the team will all of a sudden become much better.


I wouldn't drop Mayhew yet. We haven't seen how the addition of Xanders and the change to the scouting dept will affect his ability to draft better players and this years draft already seems to have gotten more value than all the others. Mayhew is the one that brought in Xanders to refresh their scouting and it was going to take this season to start being used. If Mayhew goes it may screw with the changes.


September 19th, 2013, 10:05 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2310
Post Re: 53 seconds
rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Mahew deserves the chance to hire a 2nd coach. His job is to draft players, and his record is beginning to look a lot like his old boss is still there. Sunday there was one player active from the 2011 draft on the roster. He hasn't missed on some of the rd 1 guys so far, but he's blown rounds 2-5 for the most part.

I like the duo and hope they can pull it out. I just don't see anything that makes me think the team will all of a sudden become much better.


I wouldn't drop Mayhew yet. We haven't seen how the addition of Xanders and the change to the scouting dept will affect his ability to draft better players and this years draft already seems to have gotten more value than all the others. Mayhew is the one that brought in Xanders to refresh their scouting and it was going to take this season to start being used. If Mayhew goes it may screw with the changes.


I agree. The only issue is, if they want to bring in a big name head coach, they will probably have to give him a lot of input into personnel decisions. I guess it will hinge on who's hiring the coach--the Fords or Mayhew.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 20th, 2013, 9:32 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 53 seconds
thelomasbrowns wrote:
rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Mahew deserves the chance to hire a 2nd coach. His job is to draft players, and his record is beginning to look a lot like his old boss is still there. Sunday there was one player active from the 2011 draft on the roster. He hasn't missed on some of the rd 1 guys so far, but he's blown rounds 2-5 for the most part.

I like the duo and hope they can pull it out. I just don't see anything that makes me think the team will all of a sudden become much better.


I wouldn't drop Mayhew yet. We haven't seen how the addition of Xanders and the change to the scouting dept will affect his ability to draft better players and this years draft already seems to have gotten more value than all the others. Mayhew is the one that brought in Xanders to refresh their scouting and it was going to take this season to start being used. If Mayhew goes it may screw with the changes.


I agree. The only issue is, if they want to bring in a big name head coach, they will probably have to give him a lot of input into personnel decisions. I guess it will hinge on who's hiring the coach--the Fords or Mayhew.


If Mayhew stays he'll have some say in the head coach I'm sure, but I don't think it would be an issue either way. Mayhew has worked hand in hand with Schwartz and the rest of the coaching staff when selecting players. That shows he is flexible and isn't just taking just the guys he likes. With Xanders new scouting system Mayhew should now be able to better inform the coaches about the quality of the players they feel fit the system. Mayhew should have no problem working with a new coach in the same way as long as the new coach is willing to work with Mayhew.


September 20th, 2013, 10:30 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2310
Post Re: 53 seconds
rao wrote:
Mayhew should have no problem working with a new coach in the same way as long as the new coach is willing to work with Mayhew.


Definitely agree. I was speaking more to the situation of a big name coach having a big ego and not wanting to share the responsibility.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 20th, 2013, 11:24 am
Profile
Junior Varsity

Joined: November 26th, 2005, 11:47 am
Posts: 169
Location: New Albany, IN
Post Re: 53 seconds
Darrell Rogers was hired by the Detroit Lions in 1985 as head coach. He went 7–9 in 1985 (with home wins over four playoff teams), 5–11 in 1986, 4–11 in 1987, and 2–9 in 1988, for a career record with the Lions of 18–40.[1] One of his more famous quotes during his unsuccessful tenure with the Lions was when he once wondered aloud to reporters after a loss, "What does a coach have to do around here to get fired?" He was succeeded by Wayne Fontes.

Don't be so sure that we will be looking for a new coach any time soon.

_________________
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man that rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it.


September 20th, 2013, 4:00 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2310
Post Re: 53 seconds
devildog wrote:
Darrell Rogers was hired by the Detroit Lions in 1985 as head coach. He went 7–9 in 1985 (with home wins over four playoff teams), 5–11 in 1986, 4–11 in 1987, and 2–9 in 1988, for a career record with the Lions of 18–40.[1] One of his more famous quotes during his unsuccessful tenure with the Lions was when he once wondered aloud to reporters after a loss, "What does a coach have to do around here to get fired?" He was succeeded by Wayne Fontes.

Don't be so sure that we will be looking for a new coach any time soon.


I think the difference here is that 1) Junior is now calling the shots and 2) Under Schwartz we've developed a bad reputation around the league in (in addition to losing quite a bit). Say what you want about the Fords but they've always tried to run a "classy" organization.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 20th, 2013, 4:07 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.