View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 53 seconds 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: 53 seconds
Agreed. and as long as the replacement is a no doubt upgrade and not just an expirement , we could very well see a 49ers like turnaround.

September 19th, 2013, 2:56 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Heisman Winner

I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Mahew deserves the chance to hire a 2nd coach. His job is to draft players, and his record is beginning to look a lot like his old boss is still there. Sunday there was one player active from the 2011 draft on the roster. He hasn't missed on some of the rd 1 guys so far, but he's blown rounds 2-5 for the most part.

I like the duo and hope they can pull it out. I just don't see anything that makes me think the team will all of a sudden become much better.

September 19th, 2013, 8:57 pm
NFL Veteran

jrd66 wrote:
I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Mahew deserves the chance to hire a 2nd coach. His job is to draft players, and his record is beginning to look a lot like his old boss is still there. Sunday there was one player active from the 2011 draft on the roster. He hasn't missed on some of the rd 1 guys so far, but he's blown rounds 2-5 for the most part.

I like the duo and hope they can pull it out. I just don't see anything that makes me think the team will all of a sudden become much better.

I wouldn't drop Mayhew yet. We haven't seen how the addition of Xanders and the change to the scouting dept will affect his ability to draft better players and this years draft already seems to have gotten more value than all the others. Mayhew is the one that brought in Xanders to refresh their scouting and it was going to take this season to start being used. If Mayhew goes it may screw with the changes.

September 19th, 2013, 10:05 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:

I wouldn't drop Mayhew yet. We haven't seen how the addition of Xanders and the change to the scouting dept will affect his ability to draft better players and this years draft already seems to have gotten more value than all the others. Mayhew is the one that brought in Xanders to refresh their scouting and it was going to take this season to start being used. If Mayhew goes it may screw with the changes.

I agree. The only issue is, if they want to bring in a big name head coach, they will probably have to give him a lot of input into personnel decisions. I guess it will hinge on who's hiring the coach--the Fords or Mayhew.

September 20th, 2013, 9:32 am
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
rao wrote:
jrd66 wrote:

I agree. The only issue is, if they want to bring in a big name head coach, they will probably have to give him a lot of input into personnel decisions. I guess it will hinge on who's hiring the coach--the Fords or Mayhew.

If Mayhew stays he'll have some say in the head coach I'm sure, but I don't think it would be an issue either way. Mayhew has worked hand in hand with Schwartz and the rest of the coaching staff when selecting players. That shows he is flexible and isn't just taking just the guys he likes. With Xanders new scouting system Mayhew should now be able to better inform the coaches about the quality of the players they feel fit the system. Mayhew should have no problem working with a new coach in the same way as long as the new coach is willing to work with Mayhew.

September 20th, 2013, 10:30 am

rao wrote:
Mayhew should have no problem working with a new coach in the same way as long as the new coach is willing to work with Mayhew.

Definitely agree. I was speaking more to the situation of a big name coach having a big ego and not wanting to share the responsibility.

September 20th, 2013, 11:24 am
Junior Varsity

Darrell Rogers was hired by the Detroit Lions in 1985 as head coach. He went 7–9 in 1985 (with home wins over four playoff teams), 5–11 in 1986, 4–11 in 1987, and 2–9 in 1988, for a career record with the Lions of 18–40.[1] One of his more famous quotes during his unsuccessful tenure with the Lions was when he once wondered aloud to reporters after a loss, "What does a coach have to do around here to get fired?" He was succeeded by Wayne Fontes.

Don't be so sure that we will be looking for a new coach any time soon.

September 20th, 2013, 4:00 pm

devildog wrote:
Darrell Rogers was hired by the Detroit Lions in 1985 as head coach. He went 7–9 in 1985 (with home wins over four playoff teams), 5–11 in 1986, 4–11 in 1987, and 2–9 in 1988, for a career record with the Lions of 18–40.[1] One of his more famous quotes during his unsuccessful tenure with the Lions was when he once wondered aloud to reporters after a loss, "What does a coach have to do around here to get fired?" He was succeeded by Wayne Fontes.

Don't be so sure that we will be looking for a new coach any time soon.

I think the difference here is that 1) Junior is now calling the shots and 2) Under Schwartz we've developed a bad reputation around the league in (in addition to losing quite a bit). Say what you want about the Fords but they've always tried to run a "classy" organization.

September 20th, 2013, 4:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3