View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 12:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions Vs Redskins 
League MVP

Post Re: GAMEDAY THREAD: Lions Vs Redskins
Jason Jones has a torn patella tendon, done for the season. Devin Taylor welcome to the show and Israel Idonije eat your wheaties and pretend you are still on the Bears!

September 22nd, 2013, 5:47 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I love, love, love how we had 1, maybe 2 ST penalties. Really helps to not have a penalty on 4/5 like we usually do. I like how we fought through some adversity on the road down 0-7 from the start. Outscoring them 27-10 for the remainder is very impressive.

I really hope Slay can step up. He doesn't have the smarts, but he has the athleticism. If that was him on the Robinson bomb that Mathis got burned on, he would've kept up with ease... he's a blazer.

I really liked Bell. He's basically Bush without those huge catch or run plays. Loved how he absolutely trucked that defender en route to the TD.

Onto the Bears. Should be a great game as they'll probably leave Pittsburgh 3-0. Let's take the division crown.

September 22nd, 2013, 6:30 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
QB: Stafford started the game shaky. He missed a blitz on the game s first play and instead of hitting a wide open Pettigrew he took a sack. Later he didnt give Johnson enough time and bump coverage which Johnson won resulted in a pick 6. Still he settled down later in the game and made the best possible throw in several situations. The TD pass into traffic to Johnson in the 4th was an impressive throw and the TD pass to Fauria in double coverage was dangerous also but perfectly placed. He also had the key sneak for first down and found the right area to pick up the yardage. Grade: B- (pick 6, which was Stafford s fault more than anyone else)

RB: Bell did a solid job. Broke through 4 tacklers on his TD run on a play where really there was no blocking to where he ended up running. Also made several nice plays in the pass game turning low risk tosses into nice gains. Did not drop passes like he did last week. Riddick stepped in to keep some of the Bush plays in the playbook and did fine, he beat a LB on a pass route where Riddick lined up as a WR but they couldnt hit the completion. Grade: B+ (very good but not quite Barry Sanders)

OL: The offensive line held up yet again. The Redskins came heavy with blitz packages, a few were missed but most were picked up and the pass protection overall was good. There were several instances where Stafford had all day back there to throw and they didnt let Kerrigan/Orakpo take over the game. They didnt open up very much in the run game but were going up against a decent front that they were at least able to neutralize. They didnt get too many blocks on a pretty good LB group but fortunately the Skins struggled to make tackles at time. Grade: B

WR/TE: Ryan Broyles returned and showed that an injured version of him is a better receiver than a healthy Patrick Edwards, though Edwards is a good blocker. I ll be interested to see how many snaps Broyles got bc there was way too much of Kris Durham in this game. He failed to get separation or use his body to shield the defender on one opportunity and dropped another but Durham did make a catch for a good gain on the TD drive in the 4th quarter. Burleson has been showing great hands and even found plenty of open space in this game, I was surprised he did not score on the 47 yard gain. Really he doesnt have the speed he had early in his career but he had a good game. On the WR screen early in the game, Fauria did a great job blocking the man lined up on him 10 yards off the LOS but Burleson was not able to make his man miss to get anything out of the play. That d be my only critique on him. Fauria came up with a nice TD catch double covered and I havent seen him miss blocks. Sheffler was part of the blocking on the 4th and 1 QB sneak but seems far declined from a year ago. Expect to see Fauria s role continue to increase. Pettigrew was out there all game but was not a part of the passing game despite being open on several of the Redskins blitz plays. Have to think that they are writing him out of the gameplan and Stafford doesnt trust him much. Calvin Johnson is an absolute beast, the catch he made on the sideline in the 4th, the TD grab and much more. Didnt completely take the game over but easily could have. Grade: A-

DL: They did a good job forcing pressure. Ansah cleaned up on initial pressure by Suh for a sack and got his own pressure a couple of times. Willie Young looks like he s guessing at times but got a couple pressures and forced the bad throw resulting in an INT by Houston. The false start turning a 3rd and 8 into a 3rd and 3 however was not good. He also got burned on not staying home on a naked boot early. Jason Jones left fairly early with an injury and he will be missed bc Israel Idonije was atrocious for most of this game though he did get a nice pressure late in the game. Ndamukong Suh was dominant inside and won his battle inside consistently though he still takes himself out of some plays. Fairley was good but not as dominant as Suh, he had the boneheaded 15 yard penalty as did Mosley who looked active and played pretty well with the exception of the personal foul he got called for which I dont blame him for though I agree it was a penalty. Bannan stepped in for Mosley but didnt generate the same type of penetration. Grade: B (They made more good plays than bad ones and consistently got pressure but a lot of the pressure was late and they didnt totally dominate the game)

LB: They spent too much time getting fooled by the read option plays and didnt do a lot in zone coverage. Levy got beat to the edge too often and wasnt in appropriate position in coverage getting beat by Paulsen and Reed. He missed an easy finishing tackle on Garcon who Mathis had initially wrapped up allowing him to slip out for a first down. Palmer and Tulloch didnt have standout games either. Grade: C- (poor coverage)

DBs: Houston had an INT which stopped a drive in scoring position and they also picked up a ball the RG3 fumbled on his own without contact in scoring position. Mathis got flagged for a terrible personal foul which should never have entered the rule book but then showed more restraint later in the same drive. He s a smart player though he did get beat deep by Robinson, the catch was ruled incomplete. Why didnt the safeties help deep on that play? Bentley got lost in coverage and didnt have a good game tackling. I didnt see Slay and Jonte Green was noticed only when there was a foul on kickoff. Grade: B (feels like the grade should be worse but RG3 had 300yards despite 50 attempts, they scooped up two TOs, and the big play to Robinson incomplete)

Special Teams: Sam Martin already had 2 touchbacks on punts and then they had him punt the last one through the end zone despite only a 7 point lead. I didnt understand that move though it was probably most of a coaching move. Martin also kicked the opener of the 2nd half out of bounds giving Washington the ball at the 40 on what became a scoring drive. Spurlock did have one nice punt return and the kick coverage was good when WAS tried to make returns. Akers was 2-2. Grade: C

Coaching: I hated the red zone series where they went twice to Fauria and once to Durham without going to Calvin even once. I also felt they started too conservative early and didnt have the ability to finish/extend too many drives that just kind of fizzled without WAS making good plays. Cunningham was getting burned almost every time he blitzed but the damage was kept to a minimum adjustments were made. I dont understand why Schwartz will challenge some clear plays in other games but in this one he wasnt willing to make a challenge on Joique Bell's 3rd down plunge over the top where it appeared clear that the spot was short. Schwartz also failed to call a timeout on 3rd and 3 when the Lions defense lined up confused and with too many men on the field giving up a first down and what should have been more. I was okay on the Lions final drive that they chose to run with Bell to get rid of the Washinton timeouts and run the clock down under a minute but I strongly disagree with the move to have Martin boot it out the back of the end zone for a touchback. Also didnt understand why Mosley seemed to get punished for his penalty on an off balance tackle on the LOS while Fairley who made a much more selfish and dirty personal foul didnt get punished. Still, they didnt do enough to prolong the road losing streak in Washington and going for and making the 4th and 1 gives them some make up points. Grade: C-

That wind in DC seemed like it was doing some funky stuff to the ball at times and it didn't seem like anyone wanted to put the ball up real high. I wonder if a lot of the touchbacks were a case of them just driving the ball forward so it wouldn't get caught in the wind and dragged out short. Even Martins Kickoffs seemed much shorter than usual on quite a few.

September 22nd, 2013, 6:42 pm
RIP Killer

For the third straight game I felt like the Lions were the more talented of the teams and fairly in control of the game, fortunately they overcame some mistakes again. Hold on, feels like that crazy kind of season when it is week to week is upon us.

September 23rd, 2013, 8:55 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I was okay on the Lions final drive that they chose to run with Bell to get rid of the Washinton timeouts and run the clock down under a minute but I strongly disagree with the move to have Martin boot it out the back of the end zone for a touchback. Also didnt understand why Mosley seemed to get punished for his penalty on an off balance tackle on the LOS while Fairley who made a much more selfish and dirty personal foul didnt get punished. Still, they didnt do enough to prolong the road losing streak in Washington and going for and making the 4th and 1 gives them some make up points. Grade: C-

That wind in DC seemed like it was doing some funky stuff to the ball at times and it didn't seem like anyone wanted to put the ball up real high. I wonder if a lot of the touchbacks were a case of them just driving the ball forward so it wouldn't get caught in the wind and dragged out short. Even Martins Kickoffs seemed much shorter than usual on quite a few.

Another thing to take into account....the Lions had a short field for Martin to punt on. If they ask him to try to nail the coffin corner, his angle to punt the ball there puts him square in the path of the outside rush. At that point, you are risking the block for a few measley yards. I could see asking him to hang it as high as possible to try and down it deep, but as rao said, that may have been the intent, but the wind caught the ball.

Some of the critique on the coaching could have very well been player decisions, not coaching decisions. For instance, NOT going to Calvin in the red zone may not have been the coaches plan. They could have called a play where CJ was the primary receiver, but Stafford either changed the play due to coverage, or looked off CJ because he felt someone else was a better target.

The one overriding thing I will hang on this coaching staff is their decision to keep Kris Durham on this roster. He is a waste of a roster spot, and Matt Willis EARNED that spot during pre-season. Durham didn't even come close. Durham never gets separation, doesn't have good body control, and at times seems like he's still in high school (confused) when he's on the field.

I pray this coaching staff recognizes this soon and brings Willis back. Size and speed can't be taught, but they are easily nullified by poor hands and worse body control.

September 23rd, 2013, 8:57 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I was okay on the Lions final drive that they chose to run with Bell to get rid of the Washinton timeouts and run the clock down under a minute but I strongly disagree with the move to have Martin boot it out the back of the end zone for a touchback. Also didnt understand why Mosley seemed to get punished for his penalty on an off balance tackle on the LOS while Fairley who made a much more selfish and dirty personal foul didnt get punished. Still, they didnt do enough to prolong the road losing streak in Washington and going for and making the 4th and 1 gives them some make up points. Grade: C-

Another thing to take into account....the Lions had a short field for Martin to punt on. If they ask him to try to nail the coffin corner, his angle to punt the ball there puts him square in the path of the outside rush. At that point, you are risking the block for a few measley yards. I could see asking him to hang it as high as possible to try and down it deep, but as rao said, that may have been the intent, but the wind caught the ball.

Some of the critique on the coaching could have very well been player decisions, not coaching decisions. For instance, NOT going to Calvin in the red zone may not have been the coaches plan. They could have called a play where CJ was the primary receiver, but Stafford either changed the play due to coverage, or looked off CJ because he felt someone else was a better target.

The one overriding thing I will hang on this coaching staff is their decision to keep Kris Durham on this roster. He is a waste of a roster spot, and Matt Willis EARNED that spot during pre-season. Durham didn't even come close. Durham never gets separation, doesn't have good body control, and at times seems like he's still in high school (confused) when he's on the field.

I pray this coaching staff recognizes this soon and brings Willis back. Size and speed can't be taught, but they are easily nullified by poor hands and worse body control.

I think the only reason Durham is on the team is his size. Without him, all of the non-CJ receivers fit a certain profile that's more appropriate for a slot receiver. I think we can balance this out with our big TEs, so I'd let Durham go asap.

September 23rd, 2013, 10:00 am
3rd Round Selection

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Agree. In addition, I'm sure WAS would have rushed everyone, regardless of whether we sent out gunners, to gamble on the block. Having Martin boot it out the back allowed us to go max protect.

I thought it was a good call.

September 23rd, 2013, 10:01 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Fauria N Sync dance :lol:

September 23rd, 2013, 11:02 am
Player of the Year - Defense

While it looked uninspiring overall, I think it was an important win that was made impressive by the fact that any and all adjustments in the first half were impossible because the overhead camera system and printers didn't work all game. Washington shared theirs in the second half. Gun being in the box allowed him to see what was happening, but they get a much better look if you have those stills to see what the opposing defense/offense and special teams are showing.

My biggest question mark is why we don't use the deep ball at all. The first two weeks, we went deeper than 20 yards twice. I know defenses play safeties deep because of CJ, and it makes sense to hit the hole underneath, but you have to give it a go occasionally to keep them honest. I did think Stafford did a much better job of spreading the ball around to multiple receivers and I don't mind them using CJ as a decoy in the end zone. Teams need to realize we can score without him before they stop blanketing him in the end zone.

Defensively, I think the DL did ok, especially considering Jason Jones left early and Israel isn't going to make an impact at DE. He's just supposed to be a rotation player. Young and Ansah should now get more playing time, with Taylor being activated to fill the spot. They resigned Flu, so he can get more pressure in the rotation than Israel has through 3 games. We've held opposing teams to 20% conversion on 3rd down, so we're making the stops when we should. Just have to eliminate the big play.

As for the punting, the wind at field level was much worse than it was at even the first row of the stands. It was about 9mph, which can effect a lot, especially how the ball flies on punts. Trying to coffin corner wasn't going to happen.

September 23rd, 2013, 2:41 pm
QB Coach

Observations from being at the game:

The wind on the field was doing weird things that it wasn't doing anywhere else. I was about 20 rows back and it was only a little breeze but at field level it was whipping around.

Washington was using 3 corners with a single deep safety for almost the entire game. Often CJ was manned up with DHall. I believe it was the second time we got into the redzone all 3 plays CJ was man to man and we didn't look his way once. DHall looked like an infant standing across from CJ. Jump ball worked to Fauria, it woulda worked to CJ. Or try a deep shot with the only guy he had to beat would have been Merriweather - who by the way is a dirty player. He tries to hit guys in the helmet every play. On the pick 6, if Stafford had hit CJ in stride it's most likely a TD for us. Merriweather was the only guy deeper than where the pass was thrown and Calvin could have outran him and DHall to take it to the house. Stafford had trouble hitting guys in stride all day and that turned what should have been huge plays into incompletions or just decent gains.

Bell had a heck of a game and I like his ability to pound through the middle and pick up tough yards on occasion, however he is not Reggie Bush. On at least two plays, one catch and one run, had Bush been in they would have either been scores or huge gains. He doesn't have that extra gear. But he's still a tough runner and a good receiver out of the backfield. I like what he brings to the table, we just need Bush in some plays to get that extra dimension.

Losing Jason Jones is going to hurt our run d and cost us some versatility. Willie Young is a decent pass rusher but he is not good against the run, and he can't line up inside like Jones can.

Had this been almost any other QB, we would have had about 5 sacks. Griffin still has some escapeability. There was one play where it sure looked to me like it was intentional grounding however. Also, he is the most awkward slider in history.

September 23rd, 2013, 4:54 pm
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Had this been almost any other QB, we would have had about 5 sacks. Griffin still has some escapeability. There was one play where it sure looked to me like it was intentional grounding however. Also, he is the most awkward slider in history.

I can't believe the refs didn't blow the whistle for the QB being in the grasp on that play before grounding should have ever come into play.

September 23rd, 2013, 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Pablo wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I can't believe the refs didn't blow the whistle for the QB being in the grasp on that play before grounding should have ever come into play.

I know. It seemed like he was being held there for about 5 seconds before he turffed the ball. I think the refs were waiting on him to break the tackle and do something crazy instead of doing their jobs and blowing the whistle.

September 23rd, 2013, 5:28 pm
League MVP

UK Lion wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Agree. In addition, I'm sure WAS would have rushed everyone, regardless of whether we sent out gunners, to gamble on the block. Having Martin boot it out the back allowed us to go max protect.

I thought it was a good call.

it doesnt take any longer to punt it high to the 10 yard line vs punting for distance and the corner kick angle comment is ridicuous considering that Martin Punted from the Lions 40 yard line and not really a short field.

September 23rd, 2013, 6:44 pm
League MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Observations from being at the game:

The wind on the field was doing weird things that it wasn't doing anywhere else. I was about 20 rows back and it was only a little breeze but at field level it was whipping around.

Washington was using 3 corners with a single deep safety for almost the entire game. Often CJ was manned up with DHall. I believe it was the second time we got into the redzone all 3 plays CJ was man to man and we didn't look his way once. DHall looked like an infant standing across from CJ. Jump ball worked to Fauria, it woulda worked to CJ. Or try a deep shot with the only guy he had to beat would have been Merriweather - who by the way is a dirty player. He tries to hit guys in the helmet every play. On the pick 6, if Stafford had hit CJ in stride it's most likely a TD for us. Merriweather was the only guy deeper than where the pass was thrown and Calvin could have outran him and DHall to take it to the house. Stafford had trouble hitting guys in stride all day and that turned what should have been huge plays into incompletions or just decent gains.

Bell had a heck of a game and I like his ability to pound through the middle and pick up tough yards on occasion, however he is not Reggie Bush. On at least two plays, one catch and one run, had Bush been in they would have either been scores or huge gains. He doesn't have that extra gear. But he's still a tough runner and a good receiver out of the backfield. I like what he brings to the table, we just need Bush in some plays to get that extra dimension.

Losing Jason Jones is going to hurt our run d and cost us some versatility. Willie Young is a decent pass rusher but he is not good against the run, and he can't line up inside like Jones can.

israel idonije was awful vs run in this game, young s been holding up considerably better. i think young and ansah are the starters now with idonije and taylor backing it up. hopefully idonije was just having a bad week and it isnt a sign of decline

September 23rd, 2013, 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3