View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Accidental good move by Shorts? 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Accidental good move by Shorts?
I'm not saying the coaching staff has enough intelligence to pull off a move like this, but what if... What if you hold Bush out of the Skins game, knowing you can win this one without him going into a game against perhaps your most bitter division rival and a very solid team in the Bears.
This week, as the Bears prepare for the Lions with Reggie Bush, they have very limited game film of what the Lions are like with Bush. Hell, none of us have really seen too much of Bush. Might give the Lions a competitive edge. What the Lions should have, is one of their main offensive components coming back healthy on Sunday. Given the limited snaps of Reggie, I don't think any team or fan really knows their tendencies with Bush just yet. The Lions gain a lot of yards with Bush by using different formations where he lines up in the slot, they use him in a two-back set, single back... The less other teams see of Bush and the gimmicky plays they call with Bush, the better chance the Lions can actually sneak up and surprise a decent team.
I think it was absolutely huge for the game against the Bears that the Lions won the Skins game without Reggie. Accident or not, it was a good move to bench Bush in that game as long as they win it. Now the Bears have very little to go on to plan for him. Of course, the Bears are married to that Marinelli, "We just do what we do with our pickaxes and shovels," defensive system, so it may not matter anyway.
I expect the Leos to keep it close and lose this game in typical blowing-a-winnable-game Lions fashion. 27-20, Bears.

September 23rd, 2013, 1:29 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Accidental good move by Shorts?
What up HechePipe? Welcome to Lionbacker.

I don't think the coaching staff held out Bush to save him for Bears. With their jobs on the line, I don't see Schwartz and company risking to fall to 1-2 heading into a clash with the Bears where they could fall 3 games behind after just a quarter of the way into the season.

I also don't think the Bears need to see that much tape to know how the Lions plan on using Reggie. Chicago will likely match their corner 1:1 with CJ to start the game with Bush in or out. Let's see how they adjust from there.

September 23rd, 2013, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Allstar

Pablo wrote:
What up HechePipe? Welcome to Lionbacker.

I don't think the coaching staff held out Bush to save him for Bears. With their jobs on the line, I don't see Schwartz and company risking to fall to 1-2 heading into a clash with the Bears where they could fall 3 games behind after just a quarter of the way into the season.

I also don't think the Bears need to see that much tape to know how the Lions plan on using Reggie. Chicago will likely match their corner 1:1 with CJ to start the game with Bush in or out. Let's see how they adjust from there.

Oh, believe me, I don't think the coaching staff did it intentionally, hence the "accidental good move." Bush was probably at about 80% and I think and 100% Joique Bell is comparable to 80% of Bush, so why risk re-injuring Bush? That was probably the thinking on the staff. I'm sure the Bears have a lot of film on what they did with Best and lots of it mimics what they do with Bush, I'm guessing.
Then again, I have seen this staff use Bush in ways they didn't use Best. Still I have to believe the less teams see of Bush, the better it is for the Lions. To me, he's more of a Percy Harvin at the running back spot. Against a Tampa 2, I don't know how much difference gameplanning for a running back would make because you're stuck in a zone anyway, but if the Lions plan on stealing a game from the Bears, they are going to have to be really sneaky.

September 23rd, 2013, 1:44 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Call me crazy, but I don't think Chicago is that good. I think the Packers are a better overall team and we are arguably better. Without two defensive TDs Pittsburgh could've won yesterday's game with absolutely no run game. They had a great win over Minny, persevering through a kick return to start the game and defensive TD against them, but Minnesota looks like a 3-13 team so far. If Sanu doesn't fumble, Cincy wins that game. It's too early to judge, but IMO their defense has clearly gotten worse and their offense can be stopped.

In regards to Bush, I honestly don't think it'd make a difference if he played. The way we used him in the first two games is all we're going to do with him against them. I think their base defense is a 4 man rush with Tillman deep plus a safety on Calvin, Jennings 1v1 on Burleson, safety on Bush and their nickel CB will take on Broyles/TE with 1 or 2 LBs in coverage at all times. IMO giving Bush some snaps at #2 or in the slot may net us a home run, but if not he'll just make plays out of the backfield. Either way, I think his play decides the outcome.

I think we lose this one 31-24, giving up a defensive TD that makes the difference. Thought we had a good chance originally, but the game vs. Washington was discouraging.

September 23rd, 2013, 1:55 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Shotty wrote:
Call me crazy, but I don't think Chicago is that good. I think the Packers are a better overall team and we are arguably better. Without two defensive TDs Pittsburgh could've won yesterday's game with absolutely no run game. They had a great win over Minny, persevering through a kick return to start the game and defensive TD against them, but Minnesota looks like a 3-13 team so far. If Sanu doesn't fumble, Cincy wins that game. It's too early to judge, but IMO their defense has clearly gotten worse and their offense can be stopped.

In regards to Bush, I honestly don't think it'd make a difference if he played. The way we used him in the first two games is all we're going to do with him against them. I think their base defense is a 4 man rush with Tillman deep plus a safety on Calvin, Jennings 1v1 on Burleson, safety on Bush and their nickel CB will take on Broyles/TE with 1 or 2 LBs in coverage at all times. IMO giving Bush some snaps at #2 or in the slot may net us a home run, but if not he'll just make plays out of the backfield. Either way, I think his play decides the outcome.

I think we lose this one 31-24, giving up a defensive TD that makes the difference. Thought we had a good chance originally, but the game vs. Washington was discouraging.

I was ready to turn off the TV on the Washington game. I think the Lions will lose the same way, giving up an easy fumble or a pick-6 on a bad route.
I think the Lions are a solid team with Reggie and below-the-cusp of average without him. Anything can happen, though, if the offensive line plays a breakout game and the secondary can produce a turnover or two. Any given Sunday, right?

September 23rd, 2013, 2:02 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

They don't have to be sneaky, they just have to not turn the ball over. Pittsburg is devastated on the Oline and are completely one dimensional. Big Ben was duck and covering on his throws because of the inside pressure. As soon as Melton went down, Pittsburg roared back and then they turned it over again. No team is going to win with 5 turnovers. The bears are opportunistic, but if you don't turn it over, their offense isn't a powerhouse that's going to outscore you.

There's enough tape on Bush to not have to know how we're going to use him. They're going to stick to their cover 2 and that will place LB's on Bush, which is exactly what we want. Stafford just has to find the open spots in the zone. The key to beating the Bears is to not give them easy points by turning it over.

September 23rd, 2013, 2:05 pm
Walk On

Somebody didn't watch the game last night, because what Mel Tucker is doing on D for Chicago is nothing like a Marinelli D. The Bears are blitzing like crazy from all over... partially to compensate for lack of pressure from the Dline.

The Bear DLine actually started getting more pressure last night after Melton went out. He's been dinged up with a concussion, and has been almost invisible this season so far. The only Bear DT that has been playing well is Paea. Nate Collins and Zack Minter (a UDFA!) had better step up at the 3T. Peppers is still slowed due to injury... but it is safe to expect to see Peppers and Wooton playing inside as well to compensate a bit for Melton going out. The Bears DLine is their biggest weakness right now - so the D will continue to blitz.

Personal opinions are meaningless. Here are the current stats for the Bears. I'm too lazy to bust them out for the Lions ... but suffice it to say, opinions about the Bears being a weak team are simply personal feeling and not based on any evidence.

Offense:
2nd in points overall
3rd in points per game
2nd in sacks given up
5th in passing TDs
6th in rushing TDs

Defense
5th passes defended
3rd interceptions
1st in defensive scores

ST
1st in KOR yards
100% FG (4/4)
Longest in NFL with 58 yarder

Team Misc
2nd in penalty count
8th in penalty yards
1st in give/take ratio/delta

September 23rd, 2013, 3:15 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I.E. wrote:
Somebody didn't watch the game last night, because what Mel Tucker is doing on D for Chicago is nothing like a Marinelli D. The Bears are blitzing like crazy from all over... partially to compensate for lack of pressure from the Dline.

The Bear DLine actually started getting more pressure last night after Melton went out. He's been dinged up with a concussion, and has been almost invisible this season so far. The only Bear DT that has been playing well is Paea. Nate Collins and Zack Minter (a UDFA!) had better step up at the 3T. Peppers is still slowed due to injury... but it is safe to expect to see Peppers and Wooton playing inside as well to compensate a bit for Melton going out. The Bears DLine is their biggest weakness right now - so the D will continue to blitz.

Personal opinions are meaningless. Here are the current stats for the Bears. I'm too lazy to bust them out for the Lions ... but suffice it to say, opinions about the Bears being a weak team are simply personal feeling and not based on any evidence.

Offense:
2nd in points overall
3rd in points per game
2nd in sacks given up
5th in passing TDs
6th in rushing TDs

Defense
5th passes defended
3rd interceptions
1st in defensive scores

ST
1st in KOR yards
100% FG (4/4)

Team Misc
2nd in penalty count
8th in penalty yards

I think us optimistic Lions fans are thinking fondly back to the MNF game with Best and what he did to Urlacher and Briggs. If Reggie can bring even 75% of that, we're in business. Blitzing would just exacerbate the problem for the Bears.

September 23rd, 2013, 3:39 pm
Walk On

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think us optimistic Lions fans are thinking fondly back to the MNF game with Best and what he did to Urlacher and Briggs. If Reggie can bring even 75% of that, we're in business. Blitzing would just exacerbate the problem for the Bears.

I totally think that's going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if Bush took 2 to the house, on dump-offs from the Bears taking chances. But the Bears have no choice - they have to blitz at this point. And in spite of what Shotty feels personally, the Bears are now capable of putting up 40 points/game themselves. Only the Seahawks, Broncos and Packers have scored more so far this season. So that's why I think it is going to be a shootout.

September 23rd, 2013, 3:51 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

I.E. wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I totally think that's going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if Bush took 2 to the house, on dump-offs from the Bears taking chances. But the Bears have no choice - they have to blitz at this point. And in spite of what Shotty feels personally, the Bears are now capable of putting up 40 points/game themselves. Only the Seahawks, Broncos and Packers have scored more so far this season. So that's why I think it is going to be a shootout.

I agree. This isn't the same team that didn't have a WR that could catch and relied only on Cutler's noodle arm and scowl for their offensive yardage. The're not exactly the Indy Colts with Manning in his prime, either. Against the right teams, I think they could put up 30 ppg, though.
Evidence does point to a shootout. Forte isn't actually running like his old self and with their new found passing game and the Lions weak secondary, this game could just come down to pass protection and turnovers or simply who has the ball with 1:00 to go in the 4th qtr.

September 23rd, 2013, 4:11 pm
Modmin Dude

I.E. wrote:
Offense:
2nd in points overall
3rd in points per game
2nd in sacks given up
5th in passing TDs
6th in rushing TDs

Defense
5th passes defended
3rd interceptions
1st in defensive scores

ST
1st in KOR yards
100% FG (4/4)

Team Misc
2nd in penalty count
8th in penalty yards
Per :
Offense:
Total Points - CHI 95 DET 82
PPG - CHI 31.7 DET 27.3
Sacks allowed - CHI 3 DET 2
Passing TDs - CHI 6 DET 6
Rushing TDs - CHI 3 DET 3
Total Yards - CHI 992 DET 1232

Defense:
Passes defended - CHI 12 DET 15
Interceptions - CHI 3 DET 2
INT TD - CHI 0 DET 1
Fumble Ret TD - CHI 1 DET 0
PPG CHI 24.7 DET 23.0
Total Yards - CHI 1149 DET 1098

Looks pretty close to me.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

September 23rd, 2013, 4:19 pm
Walk On

HechePipe wrote:
Cutler's noodle arm

:shock: Cutler has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. His issue has always been his decision-making. But to say he has a noodle arm? That's almost as retarded as saying he somehow isn't tough, because he couldn't play with an MCL tear.

September 23rd, 2013, 4:19 pm
Walk On

TheRealWags wrote:
I.E. wrote:
Offense:
2nd in points overall
3rd in points per game
2nd in sacks given up
5th in passing TDs
6th in rushing TDs

Defense
5th passes defended
3rd interceptions
1st in defensive scores

ST
1st in KOR yards
100% FG (4/4)

Team Misc
2nd in penalty count
8th in penalty yards
Per :
Offense:
Total Points - CHI 95 DET 82
PPG - CHI 31.7 DET 27.3
Sacks allowed - CHI 3 DET 2
Passing TDs - CHI 6 DET 6
Rushing TDs - CHI 3 DET 3
Total Yards - CHI 992 DET 1232

Defense:
Passes defended - CHI 12 DET 15
Interceptions - CHI 3 DET 2
INT TD - CHI 0 DET 1
Fumble Ret TD - CHI 1 DET 0
PPG CHI 24.7 DET 23.0
Total Yards - CHI 1149 DET 1098

Looks pretty close to me.

Thanks, Wags. It does look close - which is why I'm thinking the game will be close, and a shootout. It is really hard to judge the relative strength of these two teams after 3 games. The Lions' opponents are 1-8 and the Bears opponents are 2-7. We could say the Vikes were beaten by two good teams... but then they fell asleep against Cleveland! The Bears beat Cincy simply by being the more disciplined team ... which could end up being a key factor in this upcoming game as well.

BTW - I didn't include total yards, because they are not nearly as good indicators of success, and often lack context. Two of the top 5 offensives (GB and Philly) each are 1-2 and the 5th best offense (Washington) is 0-3. The Bears have always given up a lot of yards, due to their scheme. Stats like scoring, completion percentage, INTs, sacks/pressures, turnovers and penalties matter a lot more.

Last edited by I.E. on September 23rd, 2013, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 23rd, 2013, 4:31 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

I.E. wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
Cutler's noodle arm

:shock: Cutler has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. His issue has always been his decision-making. But to say he has a noodle arm? That's almost as retarded as saying he somehow isn't tough, because he couldn't play with an MCL tear.

I do stand corrected. I suppose I was reaching a little bit in my blind hatred for everything Illinois-related. I will stand by this: Strong arm or not, Cutler has the ability to throw 3 picks in any given game. By the same token, he can put up 4 TDs but his accuracy leaves a little to be desired. Having Cutler reminds me a lot of having Scott Mitchell, actually. He can beat the 49ers with Young, Rice and Owens, but lays a turd against a team like Buffalo. You really never know what what you're going to get with Cutler and inconsistent QB play has plagued the Bears since the days of McMahon - and even with McMahon.
So yeah, "noodle arm" was probably not the right term.
P.S. Do you guys always just throw around retard-blasts?

September 23rd, 2013, 4:35 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

You have to admit, though, if the Bears could win games based on Cutler's hillybilly-ish scowl alone, they'd have banked at least 2 Lombardi trophies by now.

September 23rd, 2013, 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next