View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Next up: Chicago Bears 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Next up: Chicago Bears
Initial thought for the week: Every Lions Player needs to think Ball security all this week. Keep your balls secure and don't let go of your balls. The Bears like to steal your balls. Don't let them take your balls!!!!! LOL.

Last edited by TheRealWags on September 23rd, 2013, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Made into weekly discussion thread

September 22nd, 2013, 11:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Bears week.
DON'T ALLOW LESHOURE OR PETTIGREW ANYWHERE NEAR FORD FIELD ON SUNDAY

September 23rd, 2013, 1:40 am
National Champion

Killwill25 wrote:
DON'T ALLOW LESHOURE OR PETTIGREW ANYWHERE NEAR FORD FIELD ON SUNDAY

Didn't see either of them this last week, so it shouldn't be a problem. :)

September 23rd, 2013, 8:54 am
RIP Killer

Much as I hate to admit it, the Bears have been a MUCH more impressive team on the field than the Lions this year. I think the Lions will have to play a perfect game and catch some breaks to beat Chicago.

September 23rd, 2013, 8:58 am
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:
Much as I hate to admit it, the Bears have been a MUCH more impressive team on the field than the Lions this year. I think the Lions will have to play a perfect game and catch some breaks to beat Chicago.

I agree. The Bears look like they are or real this year.

September 23rd, 2013, 9:32 am

The Bears are good, but watching them the word that comes to mind is "lumbering." I see no explosion from their players, which I think is what we really have a hard time with. It's also unusual because their GM puts such an emphasis on "measurables."

Because this game is happening at Ford Field, I see it as a winnable game.

September 23rd, 2013, 9:53 am
3rd Round Selection

The Bears look very good this year. At Soldier Field, I'd be 90% sure of a Bears win. At Ford Field, if Bush is back in the lineup, I think we're in with a shot. I'd say 60/40 in the Bears' favor.

September 23rd, 2013, 10:05 am
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
Freep wrote:
Lions' Reggie Bush wanted to play, was told no but says he'll play next week
September 23, 2013

LANDOVER, MD. — Reggie Bush begged and pleaded and did all he could to get on the field, but in the end Lions coach Jim Schwartz decided his running back just wasn’t healthy enough to play.

Bush was inactive for Sunday afternoon’s 27-20 victory at Washington a week after spraining his left knee in a loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

He said he would play next week against the Chicago Bears.

“I could have played today,” Bush said. “I for sure could have played today, I just don’t know if I could have took a hit today on it. I practiced Friday, did a workout Saturday, ran. Everything was normal. I just wasn’t sure if I could take a hit yet. So that was the risk that we were dealing with. But this week I’ll be fine.”

Schwartz informed Bush of his decision a couple hours before Sunday’s game, and Bush did not go through his usual pregame workout.

In his absence as lead running back, Joique Bell carried 20 times for 63 yards, he caught four passes for 69 yards and the Lions’ offense looked nothing like it the mess it was in the second half against Arizona when Bush was on the sideline.

“We have to do what’s right,” Schwartz said. “Every player’s competitive and every player wants to go out there and play. But the injury that he was dealing with was a little different than maybe if he was a quarterback or an offensive lineman or something like that. He can’t control what’s going on when you’re a running back. You can’t control where they’re going to tackle you and things like that.

“He worked his butt off to get ready to play. I mean, he was in the training room 24 hours a day, he was sleeping with an apparatus on to try to get ready to play. But I just made the decision that in this case we needed to have healthy guys in there and he understood completely.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20130923/S ... /309230046
IMO Reggie is going to be critical this weekend. If he can perform like week 1, the Lions have a great chance to win.

September 23rd, 2013, 10:14 am

Bears' Melton out for year with ACL. He hasn't been playing great this year, but he's still their franchise player.

September 23rd, 2013, 12:16 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I just heard the Packers are on a bye week. So, they get 2 weeks to prepare for us. They are gonna need it. LOL

September 23rd, 2013, 1:07 pm
Walk On

Going to be a great game this Sunday ... taking my son & really looking forward to it.

Fortunately for the Bears, they now have a legit Oline, high-quality WRs and a real TE to complement Cutler and Forte. Unfortunately for the Bears, Peppers is dinged up and Peanut Tillman is banged up a bit, with Megatron will be looking for revenge. Regardless of who is running the ball for Detroit, they're going to have a big-time game. The Bears are going to focus on stopping the passing game - which means they're going to blitz like crazy & dare Stafford to overcome it with his legs and make big plays like Big Ben was able to last night. The Lions are going to score, though - and score a lot. The Bears can & should be able to score 30-40, without J'Marcus Webb and Chris Williams false starting 9 times in the Ford Field noise (lol).

I think this game is going to end up with a score something like 37-33, and who knows who will come out on top. Either team looks easily capable of winning it.

Good luck, and let's keep it clean fellas! :cheers:

September 23rd, 2013, 2:56 pm
QB Coach

If we don't let the Bears D or ST score, they'll get about 20 points. If the Lions win the turnover battle they win the game. I think stopping Forte is another key to this game, but even if we do that, we've got Marshall and Bennett to worry about.

September 23rd, 2013, 4:59 pm
Walk On

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
If we don't let the Bears D or ST score, they'll get about 20 points. If the Lions win the turnover battle they win the game. I think stopping Forte is another key to this game, but even if we do that, we've got Marshall and Bennett to worry about.

I'd just modify that slightly. I'd say the key is turnover differential. Of course scoring on the turnovers is an advantage - but that's more rare. It is more just taking the ball away more that counts. If the Bears don't get turnovers, that bodes well for the Lions.

I'm not sure about your 20 points. I personally think the Bear offense is definitely capable of scoring 3-10 points a quarter against the Lions because of the improved Oline and Marshall/Jeffrey/Bennett/Bennett/Forte against the Lions LBs and secondary. But that won't be enough, because the Lions' weapons are equally formidable. So the game probably will come down to takeaway differential.

September 23rd, 2013, 5:17 pm
QB Coach

I.E. wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I'd just modify that slightly. I'd say the key is turnover differential. Of course scoring on the turnovers is an advantage - but that's more rare. It is more just taking the ball away more that counts. If the Bears don't get turnovers, that bodes well for the Lions.

I'm not sure about your 20 points. I personally think the Bear offense is definitely capable of scoring 3-10 points a quarter against the Lions because of the improved Oline and Marshall/Jeffrey/Bennett/Bennett/Forte against the Lions LBs and secondary. But that won't be enough, because the Lions' weapons are equally formidable. So the game probably will come down to takeaway differential.

By turnover battle I meant turnover differential. If we can keep the ball from the Bears d, while getting 2 turnovers, we win. Obviously your defense is extremely opportunistic with turnovers getting scores or big returns, but I addressed that with my first point about not letting your D or ST score.

I didn't mean to discount the talent you guys have on offense, but last night you scored 23 points as a result of turnovers, 13 directly on returns. Against Minny, a huge kick return set up your first TD, and you had a INT return TD. Against Cincy, 1 TD came on a short field after a TO and another TD drive was started with a turnover(albeit deep in Bears territory). The norm here is the offense scoring about 17 points and the D and ST wreaking havoc with big plays. If we can find a way to avoid giving your offense any help, I think we can hold the Bears to around 20 points.

September 23rd, 2013, 5:58 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The 20ish points is much more accurate. They're 31 ppg average is including defensive touchdowns, so remove those and the offense is putting up 24 ppg not exactly lighting it up. They're also getting short fields because of the turnovers, so the 44% third down conversion rate doesn't hurt as much since they're already in scoring position. When a 3 and out results in a field goal, it certainly doesn't hurt as much.

No one is saying Chicago is a pushover at all, but they're also not the elite powerhouse that you're believing them to be either. They're giving up 24.7 ppg so if they didn't get the scores on turnovers, they'd be in trouble. A scoring defense is a good thing to have, but if you have to rely on it, they're not as strong an offense as some believe.

I think it's going to be a very close game, but I like the Lion's chances. I think we match up well. And you're right, it'll come down to who protects the ball better.

September 23rd, 2013, 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next