View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 4:56 pm



Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Same Old Lions? 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Hey Dungy:

The SOL would have found a way to lose today. By winning today, you shove that SOL statement up your rectum because the SOL are dead, buried, and history. The SOL simply have never won in Washington DC. This team has. So stick it!


Tony Dungy was born in Jackson, MI and has said he was a Lions fan growing up. He has every right to say SOL any damn time he wants. Just like many people will say it when they do something to lose a game they should win again this season.


I don't give a crap if he was born on the leaping lion in the middle of the Silverdome field. I think the Cards are a better team than he gives them credit for being. And he is a jackass for saying that on national TV. I bet he wouldn't appreciate it if someone said that about one of his teams.


September 23rd, 2013, 12:47 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Hey Dungy:

The SOL would have found a way to lose today. By winning today, you shove that SOL statement up your rectum because the SOL are dead, buried, and history. The SOL simply have never won in Washington DC. This team has. So stick it!


Sorry, Billy. But if you are that impressed by the Lions win yesterday, then I feel immensely sorry for you. It wasn't a case of the Lions going out there and beating a superior team. It looked more like a case of who wanted to lose more, and the Redskins were determined to hang that L on themselves, despite the Lions best efforts to go 0-22 in Washington.

Even the SOL won some games in the past despite their uninspiring play. I thought the game yesterday was entirely uninspiring.


We'll then I feel sorry for you that you have become so embittered that you can't just appreciate that the Lions beat history yesterday. Could they have played better? Yep. The SOL would have lost.


September 23rd, 2013, 12:52 pm
Profile
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1431
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Hey Dungy:

The SOL would have found a way to lose today. By winning today, you shove that SOL statement up your rectum because the SOL are dead, buried, and history. The SOL simply have never won in Washington DC. This team has. So stick it!


Tony Dungy was born in Jackson, MI and has said he was a Lions fan growing up. He has every right to say SOL any damn time he wants. Just like many people will say it when they do something to lose a game they should win again this season.


I don't give a crap if he was born on the leaping lion in the middle of the Silverdome field. I think the Cards are a better team than he gives them credit for being. And he is a jackass for saying that on national TV. I bet he wouldn't appreciate it if someone said that about one of his teams.


I applaud him for even admitting he is a Lions fan on National TV. Him saying it is no different than any Detroit fan saying it. If someone had said it about his teams it would be an attack on his ability as a head coach and he would have a right to be mad, so if Schwartz wants to call him out fair enough.

Also the win against the Redskins showed absolutely nothing. They still had dumb penalties and they would have lost that game if WAS wasn't throwing the game even harder. If they beat or even just play a clean game against the Packers or the Bears then maybe we can start saying the SOL are gone, but considering this organizations history I think it's fair to bring out the SOL comment every time they throw a game.


September 23rd, 2013, 1:16 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9549
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
BillySims wrote:
I think the Cards are a better team than he gives them credit for being.


Those Cards who scored and early TD vs. the Saints and then gave up 31 straight points to lose 31-7 and are now 1-2.

Let's still remember, the Lions have now played three teams and those teams have combined to win one game (the Cards win over the Lions). That said, the SOL would be one of those teams in the past - not the team that just won in DC.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


September 23rd, 2013, 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
BillySims wrote:
We'll then I feel sorry for you that you have become so embittered that you can't just appreciate that the Lions beat history yesterday. Could they have played better? Yep. The SOL would have lost.



I'm not embittered Billy, I just see the game for what it is. The win yesterday proved nothing positive about the Lions, other than the fact that Joique Bell should be given more touches during a game, and that our offensive line isn't as poor as what some people (WJB) would have us believe.

Foolish penalties were made. SOL. Poor coaching decisions made. SOL. Dropped passes. SOL. Missed receivers. SOL. Missed opportunities. SOL.

It's not the wins or losses that make them the SOL. Remember, under Wayne Fontes this team often won 8, 9 or 10 games per season. But they were still considered the SOL. Why? Because they would often shoot themselves in the foot at the most critical points in the game, and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when it mattered most.

It just so happens that yesterday the Lions ran into a team that was better at crumbling at those points than they were. The Lions won, and I am happy about that. You take the bad wins with the good wins. But if you can't recognize that if they had played that sloppy against a better opponent, such as the Bears, they would have lost big, then you are watching with rose colored glasses.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


September 23rd, 2013, 1:47 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 879
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
We'll then I feel sorry for you that you have become so embittered that you can't just appreciate that the Lions beat history yesterday. Could they have played better? Yep. The SOL would have lost.



I'm not embittered Billy, I just see the game for what it is. The win yesterday proved nothing positive about the Lions, other than the fact that Joique Bell should be given more touches during a game, and that our offensive line isn't as poor as what some people (WJB) would have us believe.

Foolish penalties were made. SOL. Poor coaching decisions made. SOL. Dropped passes. SOL. Missed receivers. SOL. Missed opportunities. SOL.

It's not the wins or losses that make them the SOL. Remember, under Wayne Fontes this team often won 8, 9 or 10 games per season. But they were still considered the SOL. Why? Because they would often shoot themselves in the foot at the most critical points in the game, and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when it mattered most.

It just so happens that yesterday the Lions ran into a team that was better at crumbling at those points than they were. The Lions won, and I am happy about that. You take the bad wins with the good wins. But if you can't recognize that if they had played that sloppy against a better opponent, such as the Bears, they would have lost big, then you are watching with rose colored glasses.



Nothing positive except for the list of 14 things that I mentioned earlier, but yeah other than that...


September 23rd, 2013, 1:54 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2295
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I think the Cards are a better team than he gives them credit for being.


Those Cards who scored and early TD vs. the Saints and then gave up 31 straight points to lose 31-7 and are now 1-2.

Let's still remember, the Lions have now played three teams and those teams have combined to win one game (the Cards win over the Lions). That said, the SOL would be one of those teams in the past - not the team that just won in DC.


The Same Cards who haven't beat a team other than the Lions since Sept 30th 2012. :/


September 23rd, 2013, 2:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Hey Dungy:

The SOL would have found a way to lose today. By winning today, you shove that SOL statement up your rectum because the SOL are dead, buried, and history. The SOL simply have never won in Washington DC. This team has. So stick it!


Sorry, Billy. But if you are that impressed by the Lions win yesterday, then I feel immensely sorry for you. It wasn't a case of the Lions going out there and beating a superior team. It looked more like a case of who wanted to lose more, and the Redskins were determined to hang that L on themselves, despite the Lions best efforts to go 0-22 in Washington.

Even the SOL won some games in the past despite their uninspiring play. I thought the game yesterday was entirely uninspiring.



Uninspiring? I guess we were watching different games.

1. Stafford passed for 385 yards and two scores. Your right, that's terrible.

2. Even with no Reggie Bush, our undrafted backup running back had 130+ all purpose yards and a TD. So much for us being dead in the water w/o Bush.

3. Another undrafted player, Fauria, grabs his second TD of the season.

4. Megatron had another great game. His TD catch was clutch.

5. How about Nate Burlson showing up. 100+ yard day for Nate.

6. Broyles had a couple nice grabs as well.

7. O-line looked good.

8. Defense held together when they needed to. They weren't great, but they only gave up 14 points (6 of Washington's points came off of the pick 6).

9. Suh didn't get penalized or fined.

10. Ziggy had 2 sacks and a forced fumble.

11. Tons of QB pressure. If we had played against any other QB that way, we would have had 8+ sacks.

12. We beat a team (I don't care who they are) on the road. Looking back over the Lions sad road record, I'll take it.

13. We beat a team on the road in place we have NEVER won at, until yesterday.

14. We won. That should be enough. Dang it! Can't we just be happy about a win?

I don't know what you want, M2K. Really man, it wasn't perfect, but I count A LOT of positives and that's more than we can usually say. Point is, don't squash Billy's enthusiasm. I feel the same way about the media, and I don't care who they are.


Hystrix, what I want is to see week over week improvement in the team fixing their mistakes. They beat a winless Redskins team by a touchdown. By all rights, they should have blown this team off the field. While you want to point out positives (and any fan should), I can point out equal amounts of negative. There were lots of positives that could have been counted during all of the losses in last season as well.

As I said in another post, I'm happy they won. But that victory won't put blinders on me as to what could have or SHOULD have been better. You can slice this however you want, you are entitled to your opinion. As I am entitled to mine.

Some of the negatives I spoke of;

1. While Bell has a good overall day, his rushing average was barely above 3.0 ypc.
2. The Redskins, meanwhile, averaged 5.5 ypc.
3. The pick six was a terrible play, either by Stafford (bad pass) or CJ (bad route). Terrible.
4. Lions were 4/13 on 3rd down.
5. Redskins were 6/13 on 3rd down.
6. Redskins had nearly double our rushing yards, and over 400 yards from scrimmage net.
7. Griffin, who has struggled throwing the ball, completed 64% of his passes.
8. Lions had 8 penalties, including another dumb personal foul.
9. Lions gave up 116 yards in returns (including pick six).
10. Snap miscue with Stafford nearly causing a fumble, and a wasted play.
11. It took the CJ rule to discount what would have been the go ahead TD against the Lions in the final quarter. More bad deep coverage.
12. Another LONG TD run given up by our defense.

Maybe not equal to the 14 you brought up, but there is a whole bunch of stuff that, if the Lions had played a quality team, would have easily cost them the game.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


September 23rd, 2013, 2:49 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9549
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
m2karateman wrote:
Some of the negatives I spoke of;

1. While Bell has a good overall day, his rushing average was barely above 3.0 ypc.
2. The Redskins, meanwhile, averaged 5.5 ypc.
3. The pick six was a terrible play, either by Stafford (bad pass) or CJ (bad route). Terrible.
4. Lions were 4/13 on 3rd down.
5. Redskins were 6/13 on 3rd down.
6. Redskins had nearly double our rushing yards, and over 400 yards from scrimmage net.
7. Griffin, who has struggled throwing the ball, completed 64% of his passes.
8. Lions had 8 penalties, including another dumb personal foul.
9. Lions gave up 116 yards in returns (including pick six).
10. Snap miscue with Stafford nearly causing a fumble, and a wasted play.
11. It took the CJ rule to discount what would have been the go ahead TD against the Lions in the final quarter. More bad deep coverage.
12. Another LONG TD run given up by our defense.

Maybe not equal to the 14 you brought up, but there is a whole bunch of stuff that, if the Lions had played a quality team, would have easily cost them the game.


Guy "glass half full" here to make you people feel better about your Detroit Lions...

1. Take out the last drive when the Skins new the Lions were running out the clock and Bell has 3 less carries and 2 more yards, he ypc then starts to look better 3.82 ypc... Let's not forget the Lions were without some dude named Reggie.
2. Out of the Skins 27 first downs, only 2 came via the run. They did the bulk of their damage on the 30 yard TD run - fairly pedestrian other than that.
3. Turnovers are going to happen, and that was a bad pick, but the key is how you respond to the adversity.
4 & 5. The Lions are converting 32.4% of 3rd downs on offense, opponents are converting 26.5% - that's on the plus side folks.
6. You know who had more total yards than the Redskins? Give you one guess. They also only scored 13 points on our D.
7. For a whopping 6.0 ypa, that is 1/3 less than what Detroit threw for. How many of those completions went for scores? Oh yeah, zero to go with his QB rating of less than 75.
8. That sets a new low mark for both # of penalties and penalty yards for the season - wahoo.
9. Did you see our special teams in 2012? Out of their 4 kickoffs, their longest return was 26 yards - when you are catching the ball from the endzone (or a little bit behind it) that isn't that great of FP. Their longest punt return was 7 yards.
10. A wasted play, notice how the words fumble or turnover weren't included. Perhaps you missed RGIII's bonehead fumble when he slid head first instead of feet first...
11. The CJ rule went our way for once, I'm certainly not going to complain and it about damn time.
12. And the Lions responded by marching right down the field and kicking a FG to take the lead into halftime.

Sure, it was far from perfect but I've never seen the Lions win in Washington and I loved it. Go Lions!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


September 23rd, 2013, 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 557
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Even the SOL won some games in the past despite their uninspiring play. I thought the game yesterday was entirely uninspiring.


I'm not sure how I feel about the win. What if RG3 had not fumbled? What if that receiver had completed the process of the catch for a touchdown? However, give the Lions credit for coughing up no more than 1 turnover. Otherwise they really didn't make too many mistakes other than some questionable personal foul penalties that (IMHO) should not have been called as penalties. ("That defender breathed on the ball carrier! Unnecessary roughness!")


September 23rd, 2013, 5:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
Growler wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Even the SOL won some games in the past despite their uninspiring play. I thought the game yesterday was entirely uninspiring.


I'm not sure how I feel about the win. What if RG3 had not fumbled? What if that receiver had completed the process of the catch for a touchdown? However, give the Lions credit for coughing up no more than 1 turnover. Otherwise they really didn't make too many mistakes other than some questionable personal foul penalties that (IMHO) should not have been called as penalties. ("That defender breathed on the ball carrier! Unnecessary roughness!")


How did I get quoted in there. Both of the quoted statements were M2K's.


September 23rd, 2013, 6:28 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 879
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
m2karateman wrote:

Hystrix, what I want is to see week over week improvement in the team fixing their mistakes. They beat a winless Redskins team by a touchdown. By all rights, they should have blown this team off the field. While you want to point out positives (and any fan should), I can point out equal amounts of negative. There were lots of positives that could have been counted during all of the losses in last season as well.

As I said in another post, I'm happy they won. But that victory won't put blinders on me as to what could have or SHOULD have been better. You can slice this however you want, you are entitled to your opinion. As I am entitled to mine.

Some of the negatives I spoke of;

1. While Bell has a good overall day, his rushing average was barely above 3.0 ypc.
2. The Redskins, meanwhile, averaged 5.5 ypc.
3. The pick six was a terrible play, either by Stafford (bad pass) or CJ (bad route). Terrible.
4. Lions were 4/13 on 3rd down.
5. Redskins were 6/13 on 3rd down.
6. Redskins had nearly double our rushing yards, and over 400 yards from scrimmage net.
7. Griffin, who has struggled throwing the ball, completed 64% of his passes.
8. Lions had 8 penalties, including another dumb personal foul.
9. Lions gave up 116 yards in returns (including pick six).
10. Snap miscue with Stafford nearly causing a fumble, and a wasted play.
11. It took the CJ rule to discount what would have been the go ahead TD against the Lions in the final quarter. More bad deep coverage.
12. Another LONG TD run given up by our defense.

Maybe not equal to the 14 you brought up, but there is a whole bunch of stuff that, if the Lions had played a quality team, would have easily cost them the game.



Not to piggy back off Pablo, but here goes:

1. Bells career average is closer to 4.8 ypc. If that's a bad day for Bell, I can't wait to see what a good day is. BTW fantasy leagues buzzing over Bell. When is the last time a Lions Running back mattered in Fantasy Football, let alone our backup.

2. So what? Were the Deadskins RBs all healthy? Must be nice. Maybe Skins fans are patting themselves on the back for there running game being marginally better, but I doubt it.

3. Yep. He has made a whopping two INTs so far. 6 TDs, 2 INTs and 1000 passing yards. What's the complaint again? Oh, and they then scored on the next two drives. Mistakes happened, we recovered.

4. Again bad day on the 3rd down conversion front, yet we still won.

5. Would you be happier if the Lions were 6/13 on third down and lost?

6. Like Pablo said, which team had more yards?

7. Griffin made more mistakes than Stafford, who you wanna bust on for his ONE INT. Griffin also had fewer yards, fewer TDs (as in 0), and he LOST.

8. Yeah, the Redskins had there share of penalties as well. One of those 8 you mention was some bogus new kickoff rule. Even the slappy NFL announcers acknowledged it was obscure.

9. 116 return yards? You really are reaching. The Lions kicked off 5 times. Doesn't sound that impressive.

10. Yeah as Pablo said he didn't fumble. It was a boneheaded play by a veteran center who wasn't paying attention.

11. I will never, EVER feel bad about another receiver getting a TD taken away. EVER. There is a reason you called it the CJ rule.

12. 30 yards? I guess. Still kind of a reach. The Deadskins scored one measly offensive TD. If that's our worst problem...

Hey you have the right to your opinion, but you sound more like your trying to do your best WJB impression than bring up anything valid. BTW winning cures a lot. Next week is gonna be a rough game....just enjoy the wins when we get them.


September 23rd, 2013, 7:45 pm
Profile
Varsity 1st Team
User avatar

Joined: August 9th, 2004, 1:51 am
Posts: 247
Location: kalamazoo,mi
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
Same old coach. I think he blew it again by not calling time out when the Lions were stopped short. Should have tossed the challenge flag and talked over what to do if play stood as called ( the spot ) I thought they made it on third down and the refs had a really poor spot. But they made it on fourth, just thought that was a poor non-decision to not challenge in that situation.



Frok

_________________
I feel more like I do now than when I first got here.


September 23rd, 2013, 11:09 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Rookie

Joined: October 30th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Posts: 97
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
We are still the same old lions until we win consistently. Winning in a place we were once cursed is definitely a step in the right direction however.the bears opponents total two victories. they beat the vikings by one, when we practically were giving them the game and still won by 10. yet the bears are somehow so much better than we are? its early in the season. The Same Old Lions moniker cannot be shed by one victory, or even one season.


September 24th, 2013, 1:21 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 530
Post Re: Same Old Lions?
I went to a neighbor's house and had a piece of pie. It was apple pie, and my favorite is cherry. It tasted great, the pie had a lattice crust, it was sweet and no bitter aftertaste. But the plate it was served on wasn't porcelain, the napkin wasn't linen, and the fork wasn't sterling silver. Oh, and there was no scoop of ice cream either.

Off topic? Not really. Instead of being more happy that the Lions won, too many people want to focus on the negatives.

Lions had too many penalties? The Lions had 8. The Jets had 20, including one player (Kyle Wilson) that got flagged on 4 consecutive plays. The Jets won - do you think they should give the win back?

I've been a Lions fan since 1957. In all that time I've seen the Lions go into Washington and lose in the most incredible number of ways.

So while a lot of you want to whinge and moan about all the bad things - things NONE of you negative nannies can work to correct, since I doubt a single on of you work for the Detroit Lions - I'm going to sit back and enjoy the fact that my favorite NFL team won a game in Washington for the first time since my father was an itch in my Grandfather's britches.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


September 24th, 2013, 10:13 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.