View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Next up: Chicago Bears 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
I do think this is a very winnable game for the Lions. I just don't see the coaching staff being aggressive enough in their offensive playcalling to win. If the Lions secondary can manage a pick or two or maybe Suh gets a sack-fumble, then maybe that overcomes the offensive playcalling. To date this season, I haven't seen the Lions exploiting their one big mismatch properly: Calvin Vs. Anyone. I don't see them taking the shots down the field like they did when they went 10-6. For the most part, it's been quick slants, screens, passes to the running back in the flat. I think that plays into Chicago's defense and if they don't stretch the field in this game and challenge Tillman and the Chicago secondary, this could get ugly for the Leos. The Lions do thrive on the screen pass and if they start dialing up those blitzes, Bush could have a good game, though.
The Lions brought in Bush to help set up the deep threat with defenses forced to put 8 men in the box by giving the Lions a real running threat. Well, it's about time they start testing it and going vertical more than once per half. Broyles is healthy, Burleson is coming off of a good game and Calvin is Calvin. Take your testicles out of your wife's purse, Linehan, and start being creative and going deep. I think they should take those homerun shots at least 3 times per half. I bet 1/3 are receptions or PI penalties.
The Lions have the tools to win this one, just the wrong auto mechanic behind them.

September 23rd, 2013, 6:14 pm
Walk On

Just FYI - I don't use "we" or "you guys" when I'm talking about teams in general. And in this case I cheer for the Lions too when they're not playing the Bears, so I try to just call them the Bears and the Lions.

I don't think anyone is saying the Bears are a pushover - not taking it that way at all, so no problem. Just talking football.

Forcing or getting turnovers does help a team, but it also impacts yardage and the perception of scoring somewhat. After a team gets a turnover & scores (either immediately, or on the turnover possession with a short field), they give the ball back to the other team. The more it happens, the more it skews the stats. The offense doesn't get credit for the score even if they score. And whether or not some of those short fields would have been long drives or not in the absence of the short field ... is really just speculation. What I mean is, I think the Bears have demonstrated pretty clearly that they can march down the field and score what they need to when they need to ... so I'd personally put more stock in that proved fact than speculate about why they perform how they do at other times throughout the course of a game.

September 23rd, 2013, 6:16 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Another thing:
The Bears' corners are aggressive. The Lions should be trying to force pass interference penalties. Win the turnover battle, draw a few key P.I. penalties and the Lions win.

September 23rd, 2013, 6:31 pm
NFL Veteran

I think the Bears win this game by being a more disciplined team, but I'm really interested in this line of theirs. I think it is still below average. The CIN's pass rush isn't anything crazy so far this season and both MIN and PIT got hits on Cutler. The one thing the Lions will need to do in this game is get Cutler's jersey dirty and watch him break mentally like he has in his previous seasons. The Bears will probably just use a lot of Forte to keep the pass rush off, but if they don't the Lions odds of winning will increase in a huge way.

September 23rd, 2013, 7:06 pm
Stadium Announcer

The bears, albeit better than last year, are still beatable. the offensive line has marginally improved, they slightly overpaid for bushrod and reached in a big way on long. i see their o-line like our special teams, having played so awful, anything is an improvement. Martellus bennet has definitely surprised me. They do specialize in capitalizing on stupid mistakes, which we have a tendency to make. their defense did not look very good against minnesota, and while it was good enough to beat cinci, Aj Green seemed unstoppable in that game. i think Calvin remembers how poorly he played against them in Chicago and how they kept him from 2k yds and matches his production. With all that said, i think its a very close game and I think the leos manage to split this series with chicago with a home victory. 37-35 kitties. i feel ive got a little inside with the bears as i live in northern illinois and have the misfortune of being surrounded by bears fans and them always being played locally.

September 24th, 2013, 12:38 am
RIP Killer

You and me both, I'm in dekalb

September 24th, 2013, 12:40 am
Stadium Announcer

conversion02 wrote:
You and me both, I'm in dekalb
i hate to generalize, but the bears fan base is easily the one i have the most distaste for. absolutely nothing makes me happier in football than seeing that team lose. (except the lions winning, of course.)

September 24th, 2013, 1:25 am
Walk On

Well I'm surrounded by Lions fans, and a lot of them are meatballs too - but I don't let stupid people/fans impact my opinions of the team itself. I've lived in both places, and I don't see any difference in the fans. Seems like all fans hate the fans of other teams. Some deserve it - but most don't. So I think that's kind of silly. There are more Bear fans, largely because the population there is so much larger.

I believe anyone who is criticizing the Bear Oline by still saying Long was a reach in the draft ... has clearly not been paying attention, and has basically disqualified himself from commenting on the quality of the team. And it isn't even Long - the RT was a 5th round draft pick who is also playing extremely well - not compared to past Bear OL, but graded by PFF. It is possible Emery got lucky instead of being smart... but that's not the point - the bottom line is, the Bear Oline is not just improved but dramatically improved. And Cutler's performance has improved accordingly (which shouldn't be surprising).

Why would anyone be surprised by Martellus Bennett? In his first year of starting last year on the Gints, he put up 55-60 catches for 600+ yards. And that's what Cutler has gotten out of a TE when he's had one ... so why the surprise?

Peanut Tillman was throwing up on the sidelines against Cincy, and didn't do the best job on AJ Green. Although he had perfect coverage on one of Green's long passes, and Green just made a god-like play (it happens). And he's been slowed by a knee or hammy or something. So that's the big concern for the Bears D this weekend.

September 24th, 2013, 8:17 am
Walk On

Ouch ... just heard on sports radio that Nate broke his arm in a car accident.

September 24th, 2013, 9:25 am
Modmin Dude

ESPN wrote:
Morning Roar: Does this Sunday matter?
September, 24, 2013
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

Good morning and ROOOOOAAAARRR!!!!

Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz went into full-on "Sunday is no more important than any other Sunday game against a divisional opponent" mode Monday during his weekly press conference as the team began preparing to face the Chicago Bears.

Schwartz has to do that, in some respect. He's still dealing with a team not used to winning, not used to playing in these types of games on this level. And in the reality of a long season, where one significant injury this early can alter so much, Schwartz has a point when the season isn't a month old.

But a victory Sunday provides a small amount of separation in what could be a tight NFC North.

"That would be the same in Week 9, that would be the same in Week 2. They’re all great opportunities," Schwartz said. "I’m certainly not downplaying the importance of any game, but we treat them all with respect. We want to win every single one. I talk about NFC games, because when you do get to the end of the year, that’s one of the tiebreakers. I think I’ve been very candid about how I feel about some things that don’t have anything to do with tiebreakers.

"NFC North games mean an awful lot, because No. 1, it’s a chance for you to win a game, but No. 2, it’s a chance to put a loss on one of your opponents without having somebody else have to help you do it. They’re certainly important. I’m not up here to tell you it’s not."

But this game, with this team, seems to have the feeling of a breakthrough -- if the Lions able to pull it off.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... day-matter

September 24th, 2013, 11:03 am
Stadium Announcer

I.E. wrote:
Well I'm surrounded by Lions fans, and a lot of them are meatballs too - but I don't let stupid people/fans impact my opinions of the team itself. I've lived in both places, and I don't see any difference in the fans. Seems like all fans hate the fans of other teams. Some deserve it - but most don't. So I think that's kind of silly. There are more Bear fans, largely because the population there is so much larger.
I went to a game in minnesota, and the guys sitting by me were jackasses. i am mostly stating the fact that in my area (rockford) even notoriously arrogant fan bases like the packers seem less biased than the bears fans. but of course its generalization and im sure there are plenty of stupid lions fans out there, of course im the only one i know.

I.E. wrote:
I believe anyone who is criticizing the Bear Oline by still saying Long was a reach in the draft ... has clearly not been paying attention, and has basically disqualified himself from commenting on the quality of the team. And it isn't even Long - the RT was a 5th round draft pick who is also playing extremely well - not compared to past Bear OL, but graded by PFF. It is possible Emery got lucky instead of being smart... but that's not the point - the bottom line is, the Bear Oline is not just improved but dramatically improved. And Cutler's performance has improved accordingly (which shouldn't be surprising).
Well ill ignore the indirect insult by saying this, i wasnt criticizing it, just saying i dont think they are dramatically improved. they definitely looked good against the bengals but the steelers and vikes were getting through a bit. like i said, they are improved because they could not get worse. cutler actually has time to set his feet instead of getting pummeled before he can throw off his back foot. and Long was a reach, they couldve gotten him later but thought highly enough to take him earlier. I read multiple articles stating "they were thinking of suh" when picking him. so we will find out this week if their draft plan on him is successful.

I.E. wrote:
Why would anyone be surprised by Martellus Bennett? In his first year of starting last year on the Gints, he put up 55-60 catches for 600+ yards. And that's what Cutler has gotten out of a TE when he's had one ... so why the surprise?
And because he had a case of the dropsies with the cowboys and giants. Pettigrew put up similar stats to that in 2011 with dropsies, but i have not seen bennet drop the ball, which is what surprised me.

I.E. wrote:
Peanut Tillman was throwing up on the sidelines against Cincy, and didn't do the best job on AJ Green. Although he had perfect coverage on one of Green's long passes, and Green just made a god-like play (it happens). And he's been slowed by a knee or hammy or something. So that's the big concern for the Bears D this weekend.
The only area ive noticed the bears take a step back is in pass defense.

September 24th, 2013, 3:25 pm
Walk On

Multiple teams were identified after the draft as intending to pick Long in the first round, including the Packers and the Cowboys. So the "could have got him later, therefore he was a reach" thing is simply not true.

Mullet boy did get a sack against Bushrod, and the Steelers (LeBeau) did dial up every blitz in the book on Sunday. Cutler's been sacked 3 times in the last 2 games... still not too bad. He's been hurried many other times, to be sure. It happens - especially against the Steelers and the Vikes.

The Suh vs Long matchup is something I'm really looking forward to watching Sunday. Suh is certainly one of the 2-3 best DTs in the NFL. But so is Geno Atkins. I'm thinking Suh will find out what Atkins did - that Long is a country strong, nasty SOB that isn't going to let Suh get to the QB ... and I'm kind of hoping Suh tries to cheap shot Cutler, based on how we've seen Long acting out there so far (like an enforcer)... I just want to see what would happen between them, because I really haven't seen an Olineman stand up to Suh & push him back. I have zero doubt Long will. I'm expecting Fairley to find somewhat the same thing on the other side, with Slauson...who is also kind of a bada$$. So if Detroit gets to Cutler regularly, I'll predict it is Ansah or a blitzing LB.

Garza's smiling for a reason.

I'm not too worried about the Bear Oline holding up - but it is a surprise to me that the Lions Oline has been playing so well. I think there's going to be good protection on both sides, so that's why I'm thinking it will be a shootout and come down to turnovers. I think the Bears have a significant edge at LB and the DBs... but if Tillman is genuinely hurt that is a big problem. Tim Jennings can't cover Megatron ... he's giving up like a foot! lol

September 24th, 2013, 5:15 pm
Team MVP

Agree about Long. Hes been playing very well. Gonna be a very good matchup and if you remember, the Bears said they drafted Long because they need to block Suh.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 25th, 2013, 1:50 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Long's been excellent in run blocking, but he's given up a hit and bunch of hurries, so it will definitely be the opportunity to see if he can handle Suh who's leading DT's in hurries and pressures.

September 25th, 2013, 4:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Hopefully, we can force some holding calls and false starts

*most obvious useless post ever*

September 25th, 2013, 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next