View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 23rd, 2014, 3:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Mental Projection: Schwartz canned... who do you want 
League MVP

Post Re: Mental Projection: Schwartz canned... who do you want
I.E. wrote:
How about Pat Fitzgerald?

too emotional on the sideline, i ve seen him lose games bc of it. sets team up for major letdowns at times

September 21st, 2013, 12:25 am
League MVP

millam21 wrote:
Quote:
I'd like jon gruden.
Also would be ecstatic. If he can get brad Johnson to play well, imagine what he can get out of Stafford. He is always raving about him when he is in the box for lions games as well

he raves about everyone when he s in the press box

September 21st, 2013, 12:26 am
Walk On

The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:

too emotional on the sideline, i ve seen him lose games bc of it. sets team up for major letdowns at times

I agree he's intense - but Fitz is emotional and intense more like Jim Harbaugh than in a crazy and "permissive" way like Schwartz. I really think he's the closest thing to the next Harbaugh out there.

Fitz is squeaky-clean, a winner and a builder of teams. He won't put up with - let alone encourage or enable - the nonsense and lack of discipline that can degrade contender-class NFL rosters into underachieving teams of thugs, primadonnas and/or mistake-prone clowns (Schwartz, Josh McDaniels, Marvin Lewis, and believe it or not Lovie Smith).

Being a young and relatively inexperienced (vs older retreads like Cowher or Chucki) coach like Harbaugh a few years ago - I have no doubt Fitz has made a few mistakes that he'd like to take back. But not many. And a few rookie mistakes don't tarnish the clear talent. His trajectory is up.

This is kind of a pipe dream, though. Fitz is probably next in line at Notre Dame, after Kelly jumps to the NFL. That's my guess, anyway.

September 21st, 2013, 10:36 am
NFL Veteran

I.E. wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:

I agree he's intense - but Fitz is emotional and intense more like Jim Harbaugh than in a crazy and "permissive" way like Schwartz. I really think he's the closest thing to the next Harbaugh out there.

Fitz is squeaky-clean, a winner and a builder of teams. He won't put up with - let alone encourage or enable - the nonsense and lack of discipline that can degrade contender-class NFL rosters into underachieving teams of thugs, primadonnas and/or mistake-prone clowns (Schwartz, Josh McDaniels, Marvin Lewis, and believe it or not Lovie Smith).

Being a young and relatively inexperienced (vs older retreads like Cowher or Chucki) coach like Harbaugh a few years ago - I have no doubt Fitz has made a few mistakes that he'd like to take back. But not many. And a few rookie mistakes don't tarnish the clear talent. His trajectory is up.

This is kind of a pipe dream, though. Fitz is probably next in line at Notre Dame, after Kelly jumps to the NFL. That's my guess, anyway.

I'd like to see Pat Fitzgerald put a winning team together somewhere they play real teams and win there before anyone starts talking about him going to the NFL. He has done well beating the poor Big 10 teams for a while but hasn't beat anyone of note outside the conference and hasn't been consistently beating the top teams in the Big 10. He's done great things for Northwestern and is trending up, but if he's going to jump from college he still needs more on his resume.

September 21st, 2013, 9:47 pm
League MVP

I.E. wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:

i think Fitz is a great fit for Northwestern given his history with the school and the circumstances with the head coach passing away but there are big questions when comparing to Harbaugh beyond the emotions. Harbaugh is a well known NFL player with a brother as a well respected NFL coach as well and automatically commands respect. Would Fitz' antics be tolerated in the same light? Does Fitz have the same ability to develop a QB coming from a defensive background and having the ingenuity to find value in blocking H-Backs, TEs and developing clever blocking schemes on the OL? There is a lot more to Harbaugh than the sheer emotion you see on the sideline, Harbaugh's emotion on the sideline IMO is a weakness that doesnt outweigh many positives. So far he s gotten away with it but for Fitzgerald what you perceive to be his strength at Northwestern may be a weakness anywhere else. Im not sure Brian Kelly leaves Notre Dame anytime soon but I think your best candidate at Notre Dame would be Charlie Strong if he does. This isnt a big knock on Fitzgerald bc he s done a great job at Northwestern and he s not even 40 years old, definitely has a strong future ahead of him.

September 22nd, 2013, 12:27 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Rex Ryan.

He probably won't survive after this season with the Jets, but the man can flat-out coach.

He got the Jests into the AFC Championship two years in a row with a QB that isn't anywhere near as talented as Stafford.

His defenses consistently rank in the top 10, despite the overall record of the team.

His best CB, Darrelle Revis, went down in 2012 with a knee injury and the pass defense was better with Revis gone.

Other than some stupid videos by the team's idiot QB, there haven't been a ton of arrests that I can think of.

Put Ryan's defensive genius in place with the current talent on the Lion's roster. Just sayin'.

September 23rd, 2013, 8:58 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

JL wrote:
Rex Ryan.

He probably won't survive after this season with the Jets, but the man can flat-out coach.

He got the Jests into the AFC Championship two years in a row with a QB that isn't anywhere near as talented as Stafford.

His defenses consistently rank in the top 10, despite the overall record of the team.

His best CB, Darrelle Revis, went down in 2012 with a knee injury and the pass defense was better with Revis gone.

Other than some stupid videos by the team's idiot QB, there haven't been a ton of arrests that I can think of.

Put Ryan's defensive genius in place with the current talent on the Lion's roster. Just sayin'.

The pendulum always swings the other way. I highly doubt we would go with another defensive minded coach. It's more likely we go out and get somebody to maximize our investments in Staff and CJ.

September 23rd, 2013, 9:30 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

thelomasbrowns wrote:
JL wrote:
Rex Ryan.

The pendulum always swings the other way. I highly doubt we would go with another defensive minded coach. It's more likely we go out and get somebody to maximize our investments in Staff and CJ.

What about the investments in Suh, Fairley, Ansah, Slay, Delmas and Willie Young?
At this point, I think the defense is much closer to being playoff caliber than the offense. Of course, a good head coach will have the right assistants, position coaches and coordinators to maximize both sides of the ball. I want to see a coach that will utilize what this defensive line is capable of by adding the final piece to the Lions secondary puzzle: A secondary that gives the billion dollar line an extra second to disrupt the pocket and create turnovers.
On the offensive side of the ball, I want a coach that uses Calvin Johnson the way the Vikings used to use Moss with a receiver next to him that can catch 60-70 balls a year. I'd like to see Stafford with a little more freedom at the LOS. When teams are zone-blitzing, I know Stafford sees it but the Lions have said that he has limited control of the play at the LOS. I'd like him to be able to audible and orchestrate the playcalling when he sees something in the defense. I want an OC that isn't afraid to throw the deep ball to Calvin 6 times a game.
Cowher would probably be my first choice, but he ain't coming here and I think he wants 100% control of everything so he's not a candidate.
I do think Dungy would be nice, maybe Vic Fangio, Dean Pees, and I don't think Rex Ryan would be terrible for the job. Being a loudmouth braggart might not work out so well in NY, but I think the type of coach and media person that he is could be an interesting dynamic here.
The best media sh1tstorm the Lions have ever seen was Marinelli's "Got my pick axe and my shovel and I'm going to work" fiasco. Edit: I guess I'm forgetting about Bobby Ross's "I don't coach that stuff" rant. Lions fans now, and for a long time, have complained even after good wins and for no real good reason. With Rex Ryan, Lions internet trolls could take their game to the next level and ALWAYS complain about something as long as Ryan is at the helm. Superbowl win? Still not satisfied because Rex Ryan said something stupid at the press conference. Whether he calls the right plays or the wrong ones, Lions fans will have a reason to bitch. Drew Sharp's head would explode after every game. Tim Twentyman would probably hang himself in his office. Of course I'm greatly exaggerating. But gosh darn it, Rex Ryan to Detroit just feels like something that could happen.
Drag Rob Ryan away from New Orleans by offering him the Assistant Head Coaching position and then we'd have Fat Gandalf and a foot fetishist running the show.
Is it better than a naked assistant and Jon Kitna? I don't know, but I hope beyond hopes that we can find out.

September 23rd, 2013, 10:24 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I'd take Rex to replace Gunn, but not as HC. I'd want someone that was a great game coach, and could bring in quality coordinators that would maximize the talent, not just stick to a scheme.

The main reason most college coaches fail, is because they can't boss players around anymore. It requires a different tact, and most college coaches have an ego that collapses when they players are relying on the coach for a scholarship anymore so aren't forced to respect you. It has to be earned at the pro level, and 90% of college coaches can't get over that hurdle.

If they couldn't get someone with previous head coaching experience, another coordinator that's ready for the next step would be best bet. We've improved under Schwartz, but I'm not sure he can reach the next level required.

September 23rd, 2013, 11:59 pm
Modmin Dude

Just wondering why peeps keep mentioning Cower; hasn't he been out of the game for a decade??? Sure he's been on TV the whole time, but would he really be able to come in and be effective? Same goes for Gruden. Might be that they've both been out of the 'game' for too long dontknow.gif

September 24th, 2013, 9:25 am
Div 1 - Starter

TheRealWags wrote:
Just wondering why peeps keep mentioning Cower; hasn't he been out of the game for a decade??? Sure he's been on TV the whole time, but would he really be able to come in and be effective? Same goes for Gruden. Might be that they've both been out of the 'game' for too long dontknow.gif

Cowher gets mentioned for almost every HC opening in the NFL. I don't think Gruden was a good HC. He got to the Super Bowl with a team built by Tony Dungy, and while people point to the "job he did with the Oakland Raiders", he never had much success with that team either.

I don't see either one of them leaving the broadcast booth to take over a team, and I wouldn't want Gruden in Detroit. Cowher would be under tremendous pressure to replicate the results he had in Pittsburgh, and I have to wonder if Cowher would want to get into that situation - with any team.

September 24th, 2013, 9:36 am
Walk On

I have doubts about Cowher... think the game may have passed him by.

Chuckie, on the other hand ... when you hear him talking about offensive formations and strategy in detail during games, he's clearly still on top of his game. He's a legendary hard worker.

September 24th, 2013, 9:49 am
Div 1 - Starter

I.E. wrote:
Chuckie, on the other hand ... when you hear him talking about offensive formations and strategy in detail during games, he's clearly still on top of his game. He's a legendary hard worker.

I think Gruden is a victim of his reputation. While I think he would be an incredible OC and QB mentor, (the ESPN QB Camp stuff he does is fantastic) his reputation (and let's face it, his ego) would preclude him from taking anything but a head coach position. I just don't think he's a good head coach candidate.

September 24th, 2013, 10:16 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Well, I would bet good money that Mayhew isn't going anywhere after this year or perhaps a few more.
I think drafting Ansah meant that he was pretty safe in his position for the next few years. To me, if you're on the hot seat, you can't take a risk on drafting someone who has played as little organized football as he has, not when there are so many traditionally "safer" picks on the board. Plus he hired Brian Xanders and from what I've read, it's going to take two years to really see the effects he will have on the draft strategy. Why let him hire Xanders if you're never going to see the results of the hire?
So what kind of coach will Mayhew hire if Shorts doesn't win a playoff game? Being a defensive back, logic says a defensive one. It was a surprise to me that he chose a guy like Shorts. If nothing else, I really hope the Lions can get a new offensive coordinator. Cunningham is actually doing a great job with the playcalling, considering the DBs he's working with (no pun indended). He's definitely getting the most out of what he's got, if you ask me. But Linehan is incredibly boring. I want to throw my TV out the window and tell him, "You've got the greatest WR to play the game (arguably), you're the first Lions coach in forever to have a legit QB, and now you've got two running backs that can gain more than 4 yards on any given handoff. WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH THESE 7 YARD SLANTS?!"

September 27th, 2013, 1:42 am
Pop Warner Allstar

I'd like to pose a question here...
Now, I've grown tired of Schwartz and his antics, tired of Scott Linehan's playcalling.
But should Shorts make it to the playoffs this year (it's a big "if") and actually win a game (an even bigger "if"), does that make Schwartz the best Head Coach in Lions history?
Think about it. This guy takes an 0-16 team and gets them to the playoffs in two out of three years and actually makes a run.
I'm not his biggest fan, but I think that would put him in the conversation of the best coaches in the league and maybe the best Lions coach in history. I'm not fond of him, but if he wins a playoff game this year, I think you have to extend him.
Thoughts?

October 2nd, 2013, 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next