View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Well... &$%^!@#!!!!! Burleson out with broken arm 
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Well... &$%^!@#!!!!! Burleson out with broken arm
Quote:
The Detroit Lions released a statement this morning say that wide receiver Nate Burleson was involved in a single-car accident overnight and suffered a broken arm.

He will have surgery today.

Police say there was no alcohol involved in the accident.

“We will provide appropriate updates when more information on Burleson’s condition becomes available,” the Lions said.

More on this story to come from freep.com.

September 24th, 2013, 9:24 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Well... &$%^!@#!!!!! Burleson out with broken arm
Fantastic. :/

September 24th, 2013, 11:14 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Walk On

Seriously? He wrecked because he was DWEP (driving while eating pizza)? That's a first.

September 24th, 2013, 11:17 am
Modmin Dude

Quote:
Police: Detroit Lions WR Nate Burleson distracted by falling pizzas in I-696 crash
By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com
on September 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
updated September 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM

This story was updated at 10:23 a.m. with new information from the Michigan State Police.

Detroit Lions receiver Nate Burleson broke his arm in a car accident during the early morning hours Tuesday and will undergo surgery that could imperil his season.

There was no immediate word on a timetable for a possible return. Coach Jim Schwartz is expected to address the media at 12:30 p.m. at the team's training facility in Allen Park.

Burleson's crash occurred on westbound I-696 near Drake Road in Farmington Hills at about 2:25 a.m. Tuesday morning. He was distracted by two pizzas falling off the front seat of his GMC Yukon SUV and swerved into the center median, a police spokesman told MLive.

Alcohol was not a factor.

The receiver was transported by ambulance to a local hospital for non-life-threatening injuries -- which included a broken arm, sidelining Burleson just two days after his best game since joining the Lions in 2010.

He caught six passes for 116 yards Sunday in a 27-20 win against the Washington Redskins, production that played a key role in Detroit's first ever win in the nation's capital.

That was his best game since he was with the Seattle Seahawks in 2007.

Burleson's loss is a significant one. He leads Detroit with 19 catches for 239 yards through three games this season, and is one of the team's most respected leaders.

The Lions also are thin at receiver, where another starter, Patrick Edwards, missed last week's game with an ankle injury. Now the club is expected to turn more heavily to Ryan Broyles, who saw his first action of the season against Washington.

Kris Durham also could play more, at least with Edwards out.

Burleson, 32, played only six games last season before suffering a broken leg. He overcame that injury, a feat for which he was named the team's Ed Block Courage Award.

The award goes to those who overcome adversity. Burleson is to receive the award during a ceremony next week at Ford Field.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... on_to.html
:shock: ](*,)

Joe Fauria, MVP!

September 24th, 2013, 11:18 am
RIP Killer

Nooo, this team isn't cursed. No such thing as curses.

:roll:

September 24th, 2013, 11:36 am
Modmin Dude

m2karateman wrote:
Nooo, this team isn't cursed. No such thing as curses.

:roll:
Curse of Bobby Layne strikes again! ](*,)

Something I learned today, did you know Nate was born in Canada???

Wikipedia wrote:
Burleson was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. At the time his father, Alvin Burleson, was playing defensive back for the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He was born into a prolific and tight-knit sporting family. His oldest brother, Alvin Jr., played college football for the University of Washington Huskies and the Western Illinois University Leathernecks. Another older brother, Kevin, plays professional basketball and was formerly a point guard for the Charlotte Bobcats of the National Basketball Association (NBA). His younger brother Lyndale played college basketball for the University of Nevada Wolf Pack.[1] Kevin and Nate Burleson are one of only two sibling duos in which one brother played in the NBA while the other played in the NFL.[2] As a mark of his father's influence, Nate Burleson's jersey number on the Seattle Seahawks, 81, was his father's high school number.[1]

Burleson was an infant when the family relocated from Canada back to the United States. His father was signed by the Los Angeles Express of the United States Football League (USFL) for its inaugural 1983 season. However, he remains proud of his Canadian heritage, sporting a maple leaf tattoo and expressing interest in playing for Canada in a World Cup of football to the media.[2] After an injury ended Alvin Burleson's playing career, he moved the family to his hometown of Seattle, Washington, U.S., where he worked for Associated Grocers.[1] Nate Burleson attended Rainier View Elementary School in Seattle. This school was subsequently closed[3] but has been reopened. Burleson began crediting it in NFL player introductions on TV broadcasts in December 2011.[4] He attended Lindbergh High School in the suburb of Renton as a freshman, and then transferred to O'Dea High School in Seattle, where he graduated. As a senior, he was named Seattle Times City Athlete of the Year.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Burleson

Joe Fauria, MVP!

September 24th, 2013, 11:44 am
1st Round Pick

TheRealWags wrote:
Quote:
Police: Detroit Lions WR Nate Burleson distracted by falling pizzas in I-696 crash
By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com
on September 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
updated September 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM

This story was updated at 10:23 a.m. with new information from the Michigan State Police.

Detroit Lions receiver Nate Burleson broke his arm in a car accident during the early morning hours Tuesday and will undergo surgery that could imperil his season.

There was no immediate word on a timetable for a possible return. Coach Jim Schwartz is expected to address the media at 12:30 p.m. at the team's training facility in Allen Park.

Burleson's crash occurred on westbound I-696 near Drake Road in Farmington Hills at about 2:25 a.m. Tuesday morning. He was distracted by two pizzas falling off the front seat of his GMC Yukon SUV and swerved into the center median, a police spokesman told MLive.

Alcohol was not a factor.

The receiver was transported by ambulance to a local hospital for non-life-threatening injuries -- which included a broken arm, sidelining Burleson just two days after his best game since joining the Lions in 2010.

He caught six passes for 116 yards Sunday in a 27-20 win against the Washington Redskins, production that played a key role in Detroit's first ever win in the nation's capital.

That was his best game since he was with the Seattle Seahawks in 2007.

Burleson's loss is a significant one. He leads Detroit with 19 catches for 239 yards through three games this season, and is one of the team's most respected leaders.

The Lions also are thin at receiver, where another starter, Patrick Edwards, missed last week's game with an ankle injury. Now the club is expected to turn more heavily to Ryan Broyles, who saw his first action of the season against Washington.

Kris Durham also could play more, at least with Edwards out.

Burleson, 32, played only six games last season before suffering a broken leg. He overcame that injury, a feat for which he was named the team's Ed Block Courage Award.

The award goes to those who overcome adversity. Burleson is to receive the award during a ceremony next week at Ford Field.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... on_to.html
:shock: ](*,)

Damn that Kyle Meinke sure knows how to twist that knife. He could have left the Durham part out at least for a full day or two. :cry:

September 24th, 2013, 12:44 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Riddick pick is looking better and better...

September 24th, 2013, 1:24 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

That's just great. Classic Detroit Lions luck. At least a truck didn't run him over while he was mowing his parents' front lawn.

So now what? Sign Brandon Lloyd? Trade with Cleveland for Gordon? Could we bundle LeShore with a draft pick for Gordon?

An argument for drafting Gordon is that he is young and now a proven talent, and in all likelihood we would end up needing to spend a high draft pick on a wide receiver anyway.

September 24th, 2013, 1:25 pm
Walk On

I think he's retired. Brandon Lloyd turned down the Patriots - so I doubt he's going to agree to play for the Lions ... well, maybe for outrageous money.

I heard on the radio that the Lions are looking for WR trades. This will be interesting.

One guy I think they should look at is Devin Aromashodu. He's similar to Burleson. Not as clutch, but he's available healthy, in shape, and has good experience. He played pretty well for the Vikes last year - and probably didn't stick with the Bears because they had to keep Marques Wilson on the 53.

Might end up seeing Mike Thomas again. Here's the current FAs out there:

Wide Receiver
Brandon Lloyd
Laurent Robinson
Devery Henderson
Braylon Edwards
David Nelson
Austin Collie
Lavelle Hawkins
Mohamed Massaquoi
Donte’ Stallworth
Steve Breaston
Josh Cribbs (KR/PR)
Michael Jenkins
Deion Branch
Early Doucet
Ramses Barden
David Gettis
Anthony Armstrong
Devin Aromashodu
Chaz Schilens
Mike Thomas

There's more - but I cut it off there. http://thesidelineview.com/columns/capl ... ts-offense

September 24th, 2013, 1:35 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

Why not give Braylon Edwards a shot if he's in shape?

September 24th, 2013, 1:56 pm
Modmin Dude

Any practice squad players out there worth the roster spot?

Joe Fauria, MVP!

September 24th, 2013, 2:09 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:

Corey Fuller is the only WR we have on the PS. I would leave him there and look up Matt Willis. From what I understand of Fuller, he has had problems digesting the playbook. During the pre-season, he struggled with his routes, and his performance was inconsistent. Willis caught just about everything thrown his way, even while blanketed in coverage. If Fuller can get his act together, he has the perfect build and speed for the #2 spot.

I'll NEVER understand why Willis was released and Durham was kept. Only thing I can think of is that Durham played at Georgia and Stafford said something about wanting him to stay on the team. It's a stretch, but I can't think of anything else.

September 24th, 2013, 2:18 pm
Modmin Dude

m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

Corey Fuller is the only WR we have on the PS. I would leave him there and look up Matt Willis. From what I understand of Fuller, he has had problems digesting the playbook. During the pre-season, he struggled with his routes, and his performance was inconsistent. Willis caught just about everything thrown his way, even while blanketed in coverage. If Fuller can get his act together, he has the perfect build and speed for the #2 spot.

I'll NEVER understand why Willis was released and Durham was kept. Only thing I can think of is that Durham played at Georgia and Stafford said something about wanting him to stay on the team. It's a stretch, but I can't think of anything else.
Was actually referring to other teams' practice squads...

Agree on Willis; was surprised he was cut.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

September 24th, 2013, 2:22 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:

Was actually referring to other teams' practice squads...

Agree on Willis; was surprised he was cut.

Ahh....excellent question.

Is there someplace you can go to see the PS players all around the league in just one site?

EDIT: Yes, there is http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237146/article/practice-squads-for-all-32-nfl-teams

September 24th, 2013, 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next