View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Available WRs for Lions 
Walk On

Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
thelomasbrowns wrote:
I.E. wrote:
I don't get it ... why do the Lions need WRs? Megatron, Burleson, Broyles ... plus Scheffler and Fauria and then also Bush and Bell... that's a potent attack.

I think we think we need a big #2 (outside) receiver--like Alshon is for you guys. Our other WRs, while talented, all fit the slot receiver mold.

Yeah - I guess I see that. You just have to understand that regardless of the current state of the Bears (which still hasn't completely sunk in), to a Bear fan it looks like the Lions have an embarassing wealth of receiving talent! lol

September 23rd, 2013, 3:18 pm
RIP Killer

I.E. wrote:
I don't get it ... why do the Lions need WRs? Megatron, Burleson, Broyles ... plus Scheffler and Fauria and then also Bush and Bell... that's a potent attack.

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I think we think we need a big #2 (outside) receiver--like Alshon is for you guys. Our other WRs, while talented, all fit the slot receiver mold.

I'm going to add something else to what TLB already said, which is spot on. Our outside receivers, such as Burleson and Broyles, struggle to gain separation. They are easily jammed by bigger corners, and don't have the speed to pull away from cornerbacks in the NFL. While Nate had a big day yesterday, that is typically not the case. And despite that big day, CJ will still continue to draw double coverage. When Schwartz first took over here, he mentioned wanting to get an 'eraser' to remove the double coverage CJ sees. That is the type of outside receiver we need to get. Broyles is injury prone, Burleson is slowing down, Pettigrew is unreliable as a pass catcher, Pettigrew hasn't been very pertinent this season, and Fauria is a youngster still learning the NFL game. Kris Durham is a big body, but has no speed, no body control and inconsistent hands. His route running is a study in sloth behavior. Patrick Edwards is lightning quick, but hurt and is small. A decent sized (6'2", 210 lb.) outside receiver who has good hands, runs good routes, and can make his breaks without putting on his stop lights would go a long way in taking heat off CJ and make this offense even more potent.

September 23rd, 2013, 3:29 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Exactly. It was supposed to be Titus Young. Someone Like Torrey Smith obviously would have been a better pick than T Young and also could have been a 2nd deep threat.

September 23rd, 2013, 5:40 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

The Lions will never get a top notch big play WR as a #2 as long as Calvin is their #1 WR. I wanted more than anything for Deandre Hopkins to fall to their 2nd round pick but unfortunately that didn't happen. The draft is their only chance because Calvin makes too much money to warrant the money a legit big play #2 WR will want to get paid. The talk of needing a field stretcher is over rated in my opinion. That's Calvin's job and the other guys need to be able to exploit the open spaces underneath and down the seam. Bush, Fauria, and Pett if he dips his hands in stick'm are perfect at attacking the seam and Broyles if he can stay on the field is the idea route runner to work the intermediate stuff and move the chains. Throw in Bush on screens and outlets and even Bell so far except for the Cardinals game and what looks like a rejuvenated Nate and the offense looks fine, except for those plays that pop up where everybody scratches their head wondering what Linehan was thinking.

I'd like to see them get another big WR and/or a speedster but not necessarily as a #2, but as a #3 or #4. I like Broyles as a reliable #2 that can move the chains, but I wouldn't be against a 2nd or 3rd round WR next season.

September 23rd, 2013, 6:53 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
I.E. wrote:

thelomasbrowns wrote:

I'm going to add something else to what TLB already said, which is spot on. Our outside receivers, such as Burleson and Broyles, struggle to gain separation. They are easily jammed by bigger corners, and don't have the speed to pull away from cornerbacks in the NFL. While Nate had a big day yesterday, that is typically not the case. And despite that big day, CJ will still continue to draw double coverage. When Schwartz first took over here, he mentioned wanting to get an 'eraser' to remove the double coverage CJ sees. That is the type of outside receiver we need to get. Broyles is injury prone, Burleson is slowing down, Pettigrew is unreliable as a pass catcher, Pettigrew hasn't been very pertinent this season, and Fauria is a youngster still learning the NFL game. Kris Durham is a big body, but has no speed, no body control and inconsistent hands. His route running is a study in sloth behavior. Patrick Edwards is lightning quick, but hurt and is small. A decent sized (6'2", 210 lb.) outside receiver who has good hands, runs good routes, and can make his breaks without putting on his stop lights would go a long way in taking heat off CJ and make this offense even more potent.

yeah of course, where were you all offseason when we were saying stuff like this throughout?

September 23rd, 2013, 6:55 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I.E. wrote:

thelomasbrowns wrote:

yeah of course, where were you all offseason when we were saying stuff like this throughout?

What's your point? Did I say that the Lions were set at WR? No. Did I say that I thought Durham was a good compliment, or Burleson, or Broyles, to Calvin Johnson? No.

So please, enlighten me. How is my relative silence during the pre-season timeframe on this forum an indication of anything that goes against what I said in my previous post?

EDIT TO ADD: If you go back a couple seasons worth of my posts on this subject matter, you'll find I have kept this opinion of what the Lions need in a second receiver. I never felt Burleson was the proper guy for the job. Corey Fuller has the athletic skills and size that would be a perfect number two receiver to CJ, but he doesn't have the route running ability or the consistency with his catches. I have also heard he is struggling with learning the playbook. Too bad....everything physically is there.

Last edited by m2karateman on September 24th, 2013, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 24th, 2013, 12:22 pm
RIP Killer

I.E. wrote:

Because our receivers drive into concrete freeway walls while trying to keep their pizzas from sliding off the front seat at 2:30 am?

September 24th, 2013, 12:58 pm

Add to that, Our #1 TE has Stone Hands. Kris Durham Sees Snaps. Kris Durham is on our Roster. Who Knows if Patrick Edwards will be back anytime soon, but I still dont fear a WR Core of CJ (Badass) , Broyles (So Much to Prove Still) and Edwards (More to Prove than Broyles) and Durham (Why is he On this roster instead of Willis).

September 24th, 2013, 1:01 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Because our receivers drive into concrete freeway walls while trying to keep their pizzas from sliding off the front seat at 2:30 am?

Touche' ... that's just unbelievable. I've been a Burleson fan since his Vikes days. I think I've drafted him every single year in FF. That's just brutal luck.

September 24th, 2013, 1:16 pm

How about Santonio?

September 26th, 2013, 10:48 am
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
How about Santonio?

I don't think the Jets would drop their only WR when Geno has actually been playing well.

September 26th, 2013, 10:59 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Santonio isn't 100% and he's got a serious case of the fumbles

September 26th, 2013, 11:02 am

He's also the epitome of a diva WR. The Jets aren't a great team but they are also only a bad 4th quarter away from being 3-0. I brought it up in the Nate thread, but I think the Giants could be a viable trade partner. They have an expiring contract with Nicks who is unhappy with his targets and that won't likely re-sign. They are in need of RB and TE help meaning the Lions could trade Pettigrew heads up for Nicks. Each team gets a player of more need and both have expiring contracts, for the Lions it would be a one season rental as they couldn't afford to re-sign Nicks. I'd rather the Giants kept Nicks and traded Randle to the Lions but that might be harder to pull off. Ether way if they traded Pett to the Giants I'd then like to see them go after Marcedes Lewis for a 4th rounder. He is a good blocker and underrated receiver having played with nothing at the QB position for the past few seasons.

September 26th, 2013, 11:24 am

We cant trade Pett this season, or our blocking will regress. With our other blocking TE on IR for the year (i think we hid him there) we would then have to go get a 1st string TE. However we should still target Nicks with either Leshoure + Pick(s) or just Picks. I Do Like Mercedes though.

September 26th, 2013, 11:58 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Walk On

Is there something we can send Jacksonville for Cecil Shorts? He would make a formable #2.

September 27th, 2013, 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next