View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 23rd, 2014, 1:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Well... &$%^!@#!!!!! Burleson out with broken arm 
QB Coach

Post Re: Well... &$%^!@#!!!!! Burleson out with broken arm
sweetd20 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Here is where the PS list stood as of 8/31

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -nfl-teams

Does anyone know what kind of pizza it was, better have been good.

Calvin probably sent him to pick it up because he didn't want to tip the delivery guy.

Think you're thinking of Roy Williams.

I know it's been mentioned before but what about Da'Rick Rodgers? I know he's got issues but the Colts elevated him last week and just cut him to replace some injured guys.

September 24th, 2013, 6:06 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

That's right. As far as the young guys go I would like to see them kick the tires on King. He was supposedly pretty impressive for the Broncos, but he had know chance with the trio in front if him.

September 24th, 2013, 7:12 pm

sweetd20 wrote:
That's right. As far as the young guys go I would like to see them kick the tires on King. He was supposedly pretty impressive for the Broncos, but he had know chance with the trio in front if him.

Ding ding ding. Look for a hard worker on a team with 3 good receiving options, not players that cant stay on rosters of teams that need receiver help. Would also give Charles Johnson a look-see.

September 24th, 2013, 7:30 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

I'm just glad that Burleson got out alive. Not sure why he would be out at almost 230 in the morning though. Don't these dudes have practice in the morning or something? Crikes, get some sleep! It is bad luck that we lost a player for a bit at a position that is already pretty wobly behind the No. 1, but let's be honest, we should at least be somewhat focused on his personal well being too.

September 24th, 2013, 11:26 pm
Team MVP

Reports are that the Lions are contacting "multiple" teams regarding trading for a WR. Josh Gordon would be awesome, but I dont see it.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 25th, 2013, 7:41 am
Walk On

The story is the Bears were shopping Earl Bennett before the season. They had to stash Marques Wilson on the 53 because he would not have cleared waivers, and they didn't want to keep 6 WRs plus Devin Hester. Apparently didn't get the kind of offers they were hoping for, and then claimed they weren't shopping him. But my guess is he's there for the right trade.

He'd be a very similar player to Nate ... slightly better hands, and slightly less speed. Lions fans have seen him play well, and he is a great possession receiver with some occasional burst. Earl has some injury history - but mostly bad fortune (e.g. was a victim of the Saint's hitman/payola scandal, which put him out with a ruptured spleen).

Bennett is 6'1", 200 and only 26 years old. I'd love to see him play on the Lions.

Anyway... that would be an option, after this weekend.

September 25th, 2013, 8:29 am

I.E. wrote:
The story is the Bears were shopping Earl Bennett before the season. They had to stash Marques Wilson on the 53 because he would not have cleared waivers, and they didn't want to keep 6 WRs plus Devin Hester. Apparently didn't get the kind of offers they were hoping for, and then claimed they weren't shopping him. But my guess is he's there for the right trade.

He'd be a very similar player to Nate ... slightly better hands, and slightly less speed. Lions fans have seen him play well, and he is a great possession receiver with some occasional burst. Earl has some injury history - but mostly bad fortune (e.g. was a victim of the Saint's hitman/payola scandal, which put him out with a ruptured spleen).

Bennett is 6'1", 200 and only 26 years old. I'd love to see him play on the Lions.

Hasn't Bennett suffered multiple concussions? I don't see it happening for that reason.

September 25th, 2013, 10:22 am
Walk On

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Hasn't Bennett suffered multiple concussions? I don't see it happening for that reason.

Yeah - he has... but he's not an Austin Collie type risk. The Bears were really cautious with him this last time, and he's apparently fine. He has to prove himself free of that this season.

I think for the Lions, that might be an advantage. He's relatively cheap, and at the end of contract. The injury thing might get them to give him up for a 5th or 6th rounder. Even if he stays healthy, he could be re-signed cheap. If not, he can be let go with little pain. That's not a bad trade scenario for the Lions, given the situation.

September 25th, 2013, 11:14 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I wouldn't give up a 5th for Bennett if he had never once had health issues. the guy simply doesn't put up numbers to dictate that kind of trade.

And even if he is good to go from cuncussions, the F.O. is going to be gunshy with guys who have had Concussions due to what happened with Best. I'd be shocked if the went for him, and MAD AS HECK if we gave up anything more than a 6th or 7th rounder for him.

September 25th, 2013, 11:23 am
Walk On

He's a very under-rated player, and his stats don't tell the tale.

Quote:
How Earl Bennett set up and beat Shamarko Thomas

Posted by Alen Dumonjic under Chicago Bears, The Tape Never Lies on Sep 24, 2013

The Score wrote:

Earl Bennett is waiting for the snap. Without looking, he points at the line judge to ensure he’s lined up correctly on the 17-yard line, where the line of scrimmage stands. He then takes a step forward with his right foot, his inside foot, and stands on the line of scrimmage. Inside foot to the ball-side is the one that is always ahead of the two. Lining up is the first step to playing wide receiver.

Next is the hands. Most receivers don’t have their arms high and tight to their upper body. In this Trips Left set, in which Benentt is the No. 2 and slot receiver, he stands in between the monstrous Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, both towering targets who have their arms hanging to their sides. But not Bennett, whose elbows are bent and his hands are up high like he’s skiing.

Bennett hasn’t moved since he first set in his stance. He looks poised and focused, concentrating on the ball and the upcoming snap. On this 3rd-and-5 play in a heated 27-23 game, he’ll run a corner route that’ll break at 10-12 yards and eventually stretch a zone cornerback thin or run away from man coverage. It’s part of a passing concept, called “Smash,” that’s designed to beat a five under, two deep Cover 2 zone. He runs a corner route from the slot while the outside receiver, Marshall in this case, runs a five-yard hitch route and turns back to the quarterback. But before he runs the route, he has to get off the line of scrimmage.

It’s tough to get off the line from the slot against a press cornerback or safety. It’s different than being off the line, where there’s the luxury of having a free release and setting up the defensive back with it. No, in the slot and on the line, there’s no luxury; the receiver either wins at the line or he’s done. Doomed. Forget the route. Forget the throw. Forget the catch.

Bennett doesn’t have that problem, not on this play at least. He thinks back to the days he was just beginning to learn the fundamentals of playing the position and pulls out a simple technique that involves a jab of the foot in the opposite direction of where he’s headed. But he has to do it quickly and make sure his pad level’s low so he avoids late contact from Shamarko Thomas, the pressing rookie strong safety.

The ball is snapped and Bennett quickly turns his attention to Thomas. His first step is a jab inside with the right foot, which opens the floodgates. Thomas loses his footing after over-playing the pseudo inside release and then loses his base. His hips turn inside an inch and his arms go up. He’s reaching for air as if he’s drowning, looking to grab any part of Bennett to save himself.

Bennett knows Thomas is going to reach, so he does the smart thing by lowering his right shoulder and then raising his right arm over Thomas’. He knows what you know: when a defensive back is beaten, he’s going to grab the lowest end of the arm and try to get away with tugging on it as he recovers. It happens all the time and receivers always get grabbed. Sometimes there’s no penalty called. They complain, but it’s their fault.

Once Bennett breezes by Thomas, he’s a full yard in front and is free to kick it into high gear to begin the route. Covering blade-by-blade, yard-by-yard, he runs past the 10-yard line marker. Three more yards and he’ll break off his stem and turn to the corner of the end zone. Before he does that, though, he runs vertically with body control. This is clear by looking at the length of the route, which he’s ran in a straight-line. No zig-zags, just straight.

At the seven-yard line, he breaks and runs away from Thomas, who is doing his best to catch up. It won’t happen unless the throw from Jay Cutler is late, but that’s doubtful. Cutler and Bennett were college buddies on a bad Vanderbilt team and they were all the team had, so there’s chemistry between the two. History, too.

It’s a tight window for the throw and grab. Cutler has to place it in front of Bennett, who will then extend his arms and get both feet in. It’s difficult to do this, especially considering he has to drop his weight and drag his feet to stay inbound. Not all receivers can do this; it’s one of those talents that take time to develop, like a quarterback looking off a safety.

Cutler throws the ball and it sails over the head of the defense. The defenders, Thomas included, are helpless. All they can do is watch it come into the arms of Bennett and hope it’s not a touchdown. Hope that a big toe on the second foot swipes the boundary, making the pass incomplete.

Not all wishes come true. Bennett leaves the ground a few inches and catches the ball. He naturally swings it into his right armpit, something he was coached to do first after catching a football. Then his legs start to loosen up and his feet start to meet the ground. His left plants first, landing flat before turning inside and pointing down. Next is his right, which barely skims the grass before rising up again. After review, it’s deemed a touchdown.

Scoring is the final step to playing wide receiver.

September 25th, 2013, 11:33 am
NFL Veteran

I.E. wrote:

I don't think he's bad, but he has been in the league 6 years and CHI has been looking for new receivers every year he's been there. I'd say he's rated just right. He's a good 3rd receiver that could fill in as a #2 in spurts, but he's not a true full time starter. Broyles should give the Lions the same thing Bennett would offer as the #2, so getting Bennett doesn't change any of the issues the WR corp has.

September 25th, 2013, 12:08 pm
Walk On

rao wrote:
I.E. wrote:

I don't think he's bad, but he has been in the league 6 years and CHI has been looking for new receivers every year he's been there. I'd say he's rated just right. He's a good 3rd receiver that could fill in as a #2 in spurts, but he's not a true full time starter. Broyles should give the Lions the same thing Bennett would offer as the #2, so getting Bennett doesn't change any of the issues the WR corp has.

Oh totally agree on what he is... a marginal-but-reliable #2 and best at #3 in the slot. But that's what Nate is too, really. I see a lot of similarities between them. Regardless ... next year the Lions need a good #2, whether that turned out to be Broyles or somebody else. This wouldn't solve that problem - just the current problem of reliable depth at WR.

I wouldn't hold it against Earl that the Bears couldn't get the WR thing straight until Jerry Angelo was gone. Bennett can play X, Y and Z, and is a nice backup. I'd rather the Bears not trade him, because I like him for the same reasons I've always liked Nate. If they did, I'd like to see him on the Lions.

September 25th, 2013, 12:23 pm
NFL Veteran

I.E. wrote:
rao wrote:
I.E. wrote:

Oh totally agree on what he is... a marginal-but-reliable #2 and best at #3 in the slot. But that's what Nate is too, really. I see a lot of similarities between them. Regardless ... next year the Lions need a good #2, whether that turned out to be Broyles or somebody else. This wouldn't solve that problem - just the current problem of reliable depth at WR.

I wouldn't hold it against Earl that the Bears couldn't get the WR thing straight until Jerry Angelo was gone. Bennett can play X, Y and Z, and is a nice backup. I'd rather the Bears not trade him, because I like him for the same reasons I've always liked Nate. If they did, I'd like to see him on the Lions.

Bennett should stay in CHI. He has some chemistry with Cutler and he's a jack of all trades type of receiver. He just doesn't seem like a guy you trade for, he's more of that guy you get as a FA for great depth. The only reason I could see him being traded for is if a coach from CHI went to another team and wanted to bring a guy that knew his system. Your very right about him being very similar to what Burleson is now and was after he left MIN, which is another reason why I don't see him as a guy you trade for.

September 25th, 2013, 1:24 pm
League MVP

i like nate washington if he s available from tennessee. shouldnt be too expensive, maybe not a long term answer and upside isnt that great but he s probably a lil bit on an upgrade from Burleson who s pretty consistent and reliable.

September 25th, 2013, 5:19 pm

I wonder if the Giants would be willing to trade Reuben Randle for LeShoure and Pettigrew, I wouldn't be upset with a 4th rounder thrown in as well. The Giants are hurting at both RB and TE, while Nicks is complaining he isn't getting enough looks. Also a trade for Nicks wouldn't be bad as a one year fill either, I believe he is a FA after this season. In that deal I'd only trade Pett straight up however, one expiring contract for another. If they could work either of those deals I'd then like them to see if the Jags would take a 4th rounder for Marcedes Lewis. In the end I would prefer Randle over Nicks because of his long term value, but would gladly take Nicks for a one year loan in exchange of Pettigrew's expiring contract.

September 26th, 2013, 5:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next