View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Next up: Chicago Bears 
League MVP

Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
millam21 wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
You and me both, I'm in dekalb
i hate to generalize, but the bears fan base is easily the one i have the most distaste for. absolutely nothing makes me happier in football than seeing that team lose. (except the lions winning, of course.)

i lived in chicago for several years and went to the lions-bears games once a year at soldier and would regularly watch games at bars. there are many fans there that can keep things in perspective and know a lot about football. the difference (bw lions and bears fan) is in the casual fans (vast majority of fans) who know much less and really respond only to scores, stats, and won-loss records. in chicago those fans are arrogant, cocky and confrontational and think the bears are g.ds greatest gift to mankind. in detroit, the fans seem to be much more respectful and friendly and smack talk is mostly gentle ribbing. maybe its bc the Lions have been a laughingstock since Matt Millen was hired while the Bears have been competitive and at times legit contenders. lions fans know they dont have a leg to stand on in the smack talk dept. that may be the only difference but i love it when the bears lose especially to the lions, i know how much they hate it

September 25th, 2013, 11:08 pm
League MVP

I.E. wrote:
Multiple teams were identified after the draft as intending to pick Long in the first round, including the Packers and the Cowboys. So the "could have got him later, therefore he was a reach" thing is simply not true.

Mullet boy did get a sack against Bushrod, and the Steelers (LeBeau) did dial up every blitz in the book on Sunday. Cutler's been sacked 3 times in the last 2 games... still not too bad. He's been hurried many other times, to be sure. It happens - especially against the Steelers and the Vikes.

The Suh vs Long matchup is something I'm really looking forward to watching Sunday. Suh is certainly one of the 2-3 best DTs in the NFL. But so is Geno Atkins. I'm thinking Suh will find out what Atkins did - that Long is a country strong, nasty SOB that isn't going to let Suh get to the QB ... and I'm kind of hoping Suh tries to cheap shot Cutler, based on how we've seen Long acting out there so far (like an enforcer)... I just want to see what would happen between them, because I really haven't seen an Olineman stand up to Suh & push him back. I have zero doubt Long will. I'm expecting Fairley to find somewhat the same thing on the other side, with Slauson...who is also kind of a bada$$. So if Detroit gets to Cutler regularly, I'll predict it is Ansah or a blitzing LB.

Garza's smiling for a reason.

I'm not too worried about the Bear Oline holding up - but it is a surprise to me that the Lions Oline has been playing so well. I think there's going to be good protection on both sides, so that's why I'm thinking it will be a shootout and come down to turnovers. I think the Bears have a significant edge at LB and the DBs... but if Tillman is genuinely hurt that is a big problem. Tim Jennings can't cover Megatron ... he's giving up like a foot! lol

wow 3 games of slauson and long and you are acting like they are all world. slauson is an average guard, the jets didnt even keep him and took a shot at stephen peterman instead who they didnt even keep. thats all you need to know, 3 yr starter only 27 yo and all he got was a 1 yr deal. just bc a guy paints his face and caused a well publicized ACL injury doesnt make him a bad rectum. he represents an upgrade for the chicago bears but that doesnt make him a suh or fairley dominator.

September 25th, 2013, 11:26 pm
NFL Veteran

njroar wrote:
Long's been excellent in run blocking, but he's given up a hit and bunch of hurries, so it will definitely be the opportunity to see if he can handle Suh who's leading DT's in hurries and pressures.

This is really important when talking about Long against Suh. Long isn't a great pass blocker yet, he's decent so it's an upgrade for the Bears but I wouldn't call it a strength for him.

September 26th, 2013, 12:10 am
League MVP

rao wrote:
njroar wrote:
Long's been excellent in run blocking, but he's given up a hit and bunch of hurries, so it will definitely be the opportunity to see if he can handle Suh who's leading DT's in hurries and pressures.

This is really important when talking about Long against Suh. Long isn't a great pass blocker yet, he's decent so it's an upgrade for the Bears but I wouldn't call it a strength for him.

i would say that suh doesnt get beat by being blocked, he tends to take himself out of misdirection or delayed running plays. thats the biggest weakness. i dont believe long will just steamroll suh into the defensive backfield. in the passgame we will see, rushing from the interior is difficult and the RBs, C, Ts all chip in. Suh or Fairley may open something up for someone else - he doesnt have to be the one that brings down Cutler. The Lions do a lot of nice things on the DL, like placing Suh and Fairley on the same side, stunting them or even having both split out as DEs (maybe they dont do that last one w Jones out and not having 2 DTs to drop inside but maybe they would w idonije and mosley)

September 26th, 2013, 2:57 am
3rd Round Selection

Article on the Lions and Bears reduced use of the Cover 2 here: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/25/bears-lio ... d-species/

September 26th, 2013, 6:00 am
Walk On

OK we'll see. It isn't just 3 games that it is based on - it is the opposition. I wouldn't be so bullish on the Bear Oline if they had played Arizona and Washington instead of Cincy and Pittsburgh. Sure, Pittsburgh is 0-3. But they're not as bad as they look, and they still have Dick LeBeau's strategy, Palomalu, Woodley and a lot of other good players. And they lost to Cincy, the Bears and Titans... we'll see how they do against lessser teams. My point is, although the Lion DL is formidable (and understand I think the DTs are the best tandem in the NFL!)... the Bears have seen other good ones and not only held their own but actually looked good. Really looking forward to that Suh/Long matchup.

And in fairness, it isn't just the Oline against the D that is making the Oline look good. Trestman has Cutler getting rid of the ball quickly, and making better decisions. He's like a different QB out there. The Lions aren't going to be on top of him all day like they're used to. They'll get to him a couple of times, maybe.... but it likely won't be from the interior, and I expect Cutler to have at least a "3 Mississippi" pocket against the Lions - something he's never had.

The Legend wrote:
wow 3 games of slauson and long and you are acting like they are all world. slauson is an average guard, the jets didnt even keep him and took a shot at stephen peterman instead who they didnt even keep. thats all you need to know, 3 yr starter only 27 yo and all he got was a 1 yr deal. just bc a guy paints his face and caused a well publicized ACL injury doesnt make him a bad rectum. he represents an upgrade for the chicago bears but that doesnt make him a suh or fairley dominator.

OK - yeah, I didn't mean to say Slauson is an all-pro. I did mean that he's been playing very well in Kromer's system, and has been kind of a bada$$ on the field so far (including looking like one... lol). I don't think Slauson is going to dominate Fairley ... I DO think that Fairley is going to struggle more than he has ever against the Bears. I DO think Long is playing like an all-pro. The guy is drawing rave reviews from credible objective sources, and I'm excited about it.

Man - I can't wait for this game.

September 26th, 2013, 7:54 am
Walk On

UK Lion wrote:
Article on the Lions and Bears reduced use of the Cover 2 here: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/25/bears-lio ... d-species/

That's a pretty good article. The Bears have been playing the D they're known for (Cover 2) less than 50% of the time for years. Like the article says, the version the Bears have played is the Tampa 2 variation, that required a MLB that can cover deep center field. No surprise the Bears slowed down in using that as Urlacher aged and slowed. They guy was more like a giant safety his entire career, vs a more classic MIKE.

That's exactly why the Bears took a flyer on DJ Williams. He had an injury or two and was suspended a few games last year for using some kind of banned substance ... but the guy can flat out fly, and was one of the better options to have a guy who can defend TEs in the seam like #54. Interestingly, since Williams was out with a hammy in preseason, SAM James Anderson has been staying in the game in Nickel situations and showing great speed and coverage ability as well. So it appears the Bears got quite lucky at the LB position in the offseason... that was really looking like an area of worry.

I think the key point in the article for the demise of the Cover 2 is quarterbacking and quick releases. The game is changing, and if you don't get to the QB quickly he'll kill you. The Bears were all over Ben with the LBs last weekend. That guy is just a beast, though, and breaks tackles & gets free to kill you with long passes down field. Classic Ben. Fortunately for the Bears, the increased pressure forced turnovers too - and enabled the Bear D and Offense to get & keep the lead.

September 26th, 2013, 8:28 am
QB Coach

What is that a cigarette in Cutler's mouth, in both photos? That's like old school 1960's and 70's football right there, if it is.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 26th, 2013, 8:44 am
Walk On

WarEr4Christ wrote:
What is that a cigarette in Cutler's mouth, in both photos? That's like old school 1960's and 70's football right there, if it is.

It's an internet meme/joke, around what a jerk face Cutler is & how his constant pouty face looks like he should have a cigarette dangling from his mouth. Somebody started doing the pictures, and then other people joined in ... so the guy created the tumblr ...

http://smokinjaycutler.tumblr.com/

The pics are hilarious. Cutler said he thinks they're funny. He did this one for the tumblr on purpose.

This is one of my favorites... the cig in hand, while tying J'Marcus Webb's shoe last year. If Lions fans want to know why Bear fans are excited about the Oline, consider the last few years the Bears had linemen that couldn't tie their own shoes.... lol

Another good one ... lol. I just find this hilarious.

September 26th, 2013, 8:52 am
Modmin Dude

DetNews wrote:
Calvin Johnson-stopper Charles Tillman will take some swings at Lions offense
September 26, 2013 at 1:00 am
Josh Katzenstein
The Detroit News

Allen Park -- Bears cornerback Charles Tillman has the utmost respect for Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

"He's so damn big. He's like the LeBron James of wide receivers," Tillman said.

"He's like that Madden character that you can create in the game. He's tall, he's fast, he can catch. He's got quickness, he's got the speed, he's got the agility, the leaping ability, the extra boost. He's 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10."

If Johnson is all 10s, Tillman may have an 11 mixed in his ratings because during Johnson's run to an NFL record 1,964 receiving yards in 2012, no cornerback had more success against him than Tillman.

In the Lions' first matchup against the Bears in Week 7, Johnson had just three catches for 34 yards, his lowest output of the season. Johnson began his run of eight consecutive games with 100-plus receiving yards in Week 9, but when the Bears played the Lions in Week 17, Tillman broke the streak by holding Johnson to five catches for 72 yards.

Still, Tillman called Johnson "the best competitor in the game right now at the receiver position."

"A lot of the plays that I'm able to make on Calvin have been because of my defensive line," Tillman said. "If you take them out of the mix, I can't do anything."

Tillman, a 6-foot-2 cornerback with long arms, may be humble, but the fact is, his coverage skills might not even be his best trait.

Since Tillman entered the league in 2003, he's forced 39 fumbles, the most ever by a cornerback. Last year alone he knocked 10 balls loose.

"Tillman wears the double wrist braces and just goes in there swinging and tries to knock the ball out," Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "He does a great job. He’s a great player."

Tillman tapes his wrist for each game, but denied Stafford's claim that he double wraps them. Tillman, 32, credits hard work, film study and being a veteran to his ability to knock balls loose, but he and other Bears players are so good at it that it caused problems for their offense in OTAs.

"You can’t really describe how (Tillman) does it, but he just has the unique skill level to able to punch the ball out," Bears coach Marc Trestman said.

Tillman already has two interceptions in 2013 and has helped the Bears force an NFL-high 11 takeaways so far this season.

Lions cornerback Chris Houston said Tillman and Raiders safety Charles Woodson, a former cornerback, for changing the position, and Houston said he's put more emphasis on swinging at the ball because anything can happen.

"It’s something that we'll have to be aware of," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said of Tillman. "When we have played well against these guys, we have protected the football. When we have lost games against these guys, we have turned the ball over."

Confidence builder
When defensive end Jason Jones (knee) went on injured reserve, the Lions decided to fill his roster spot with defensive tackle Andre Fluellen instead of a veteran defensive end.

That means rookie Devin Taylor, a fourth-round pick, will have a chance to prove himself behind ends Willie Young, Ziggy Ansah and Israel Idonije. Taylor said Wednesday he doesn't know exactly what his role will be, but he plans to be ready when called upon.

"That just felt good that they actually have confidence in me," he said.

Lions sign D'Anthony Smith
The Lions released defensive tackle Justin Bannan and signed defensive tackle D'Anthony Smith, who was waived by the Seahawks. The Jaguars drafted Smith in the third round in 2010.

jkatzenstein@detroitnews.com

twitter.com/jkatzenstein

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... z2g0IPJMU1

September 26th, 2013, 9:09 am
Walk On

Credit to Lightborn09. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=25&f=1752&t=11689436

It's a decent article. I don't think it is an indictment of Stafford so much as it shows that both of these guys are victims of the overall quality of their teams. I believe it is fair to say Stafford gets unreasonable praise for his statistics simply because they are huge and in spite of the fact that they haven't led to success even with the NFL's best weapon. And I believe it is true that Cutler is unjustifiably criticized, considering the challenges he's had with little supporting cast and the successes he's had in spite of them. Sure - the Bears D has carried Jay in many games. But hasn't the Lions D been hyped for years? Can the Lions D be blamed for Stafford throwing the same amount of TDs as Cutler on 50% more tries? I believe it can be credibly argued that Cutler has done more with less.

Cutler critics typically take refuge in 2 arguments:

1.) Questioning his toughness from a single incident - his injury in the NFCC game. He left the game, saying he couldn't run or plant his foot. People criticized him because he appeared to be able to walk fine and stand on the sideline... and was even on the exercise bike on the sideline hoping it would feel better. Later it was confirmed to be a torn MCL. Still people continue to repeat endlessly that he's not tough because of a legitimate injury, while simultaneously ignoring the fact that many QBs (including their favorites) have left games due to legitimate injury more often than Cutler. If Matt Stafford is not a china doll, then Jay Cutler is certainly not "not tough". Is Cutler a jerk face? Sure. Is it tough? You bet.

2.) Cutler's record against Aaron Rodgers & the Packers. It is abysmal ... but so is everyone else's record against the Packers. If it is an indictment against Cutler, it has to be against Stafford as well.

Quote:
Posted: 7/7/2013 5:46 AM

The Truth Behind Matthew Stafford and Jay Cutler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which QB is really better? The #'s don't lie.
http://nflspinzone.com/2013/06/18/the-truth-behind -matthew-stafford-and-jay-cutler/

Matthew Stafford is commonly heralded as a top 10 QB in the NFL. Recently, NFL.com placed him #76 out of its annual Top 100. While Stafford burst onto the scene in 2011 with career numbers, a closer look comparing him to arch-rival Jay Cutler reveals very troubling implications, as the latter QB is hardly ever included the “elite discussion”. However, if a QB must be measured on his wins, particularly against quality competition, Jay Cutler not only surpasses Stafford, he makes him look rather weak in comparison.

Often, pundits and fans alike point to Cutler’s record versus Aaron Rodgers. They use this as the basis for proving that Jay isn’t on the same level because of the head-to-head significance. While this is a fair point, the same logic must apply when comparing Cutler to Stafford. The Georgia product is 1-5 vs. Cutler, and if you look at their in-game stats as well as complementary personnel, it’s not that close at all. Most of the attention has been devoted to Stafford and his growing legacy. This piece will do the opposite.

First, however, let’s break down Matt Stafford a bit more.

THE CASE AGAINST MATTHEW STAFFORD
Many fail to concede that, despite his 5,000 yard season in 2011, Stafford failed to defeat a single team that finished with a winning record. Up until the Seahawks game in 2012, the QB had NEVER defeated a single team that fared better than .500. People point to Cutler’s struggles vs. Green Bay; however, Stafford has never defeated Rodgers, has never made a pro-bowl, has never won a playoff game, has never won a division title, has never played in a conference title game, and cannot beat quality teams. In case you’re keeping score, Jay Cutler has accomplished all of those things.
When comparing quarterbacks, fans and the media alike rarely factor wins and losses into the equation. This is the case with both Stafford and Cutler. This past season, Matthew Stafford threw nearly 300 more passes than Jay Cutler. He was only sacked 29 times the entire season despite the fact that he fired an insane 727 passes. Yet, with better protection, a legitimate Tight End, and the league’s best WR, Stafford only managed one more TD. Cutler enjoyed the better passer rating, and Stafford threw 3 more INT’S.

Jay Cutler, on the other hand, did not have a Tight End that was starter quality, and prior to 2012, the Vanderbilt alumni was throwing to glorified kick returners and converted CB’s (Johnny Knox, Devin Hester, Rashied. Davis) and suffered from the worst offensive line pro football had to offer. The fact that Cutler was sacked MORE than Stafford last year despite tossing 293 LESS passes tells you everything you need to know concerning how poor Cutler’s protectors were. Adding in the fact that Mike Tice was a big proponent of max protection, and those sack figures become even more egregious.

In a pass-happy league, the Lions threw the ball 196 more times than their opponents. Conversely, the Bears threw the pigskin 107 times LESS than their opponents. This is a key point because in 2011 Stafford and the Lions chucked it 666 times, an enormous amount of drop-backs. This has afforded Stafford many more chances to succeed in the passing game. Cutler, likewise, has thrown the ball much less. This owes in part because of the presence of Matt Forte and the liability of the Bears’ O-line. Cutler was sacked 38 times in only 14.5 games, yet he still beat more teams that finished with a winning record compared to Stafford. In fact, since 2007, Cutler has defeated at least 2 teams per year that enjoyed a record better than .500. The same cannot be said for Stafford, who routinely falls short vs. premier teams and has defeated only 1 team that finished over .500 his entire career. Yet, pundits unfailingly overlook this important point, crediting him for his lofty passing numbers in favor of showcase wins.

THE CASE FOR JAY CUTLER
While some “experts” have begun to point to Jay’s promising win-loss record, others are too mired in statistical bling to give him any credit. If you look at what Jay had around him, even including Brandon Marshall, it’s clear that Stafford enjoyed much better weaponry. While Stafford benefits from the league’s best WR in Calvin Johnson, he also has a real Tight End in Brandon Pettigrew, a capable O-line, and effective coaching. Jay had one WR last year (Marshall), a horrendous O-line, no viable Tight End, a kick returner and a rookie for complementary wideouts (Hester and Jeffery). The fact that Jay is more mobile than Stafford but was sacked 9 more times despite throwing far fewer passes reveals part of the reason his numbers haven’t blown off the charts. Throw in the fact that Cutler played in nearly 2 fewer games and this appears even more troubling.

The best evidence that Jay Cutler is the superior QB rests in his win-loss record when measured against Stafford’s as well as head-to-head competition. For his NFL career, Stafford is 17-28. This is hardly an impressive record for a player entering his fifth campaign. The lack of quality wins is especially troubling, especially when compared to Jay Cutler, whose NFL career record is 51-38. In his last 38 COMPLETE games, however, Cutler is 28-10. He is 27-13 over the past 3 seasons. What’s more, nobody uses these figures to compare the 2 players. Stats rule the day, and it’s unfortunate because Cutler simply hasn’t had the players around him or the coaching to truly reach his potential.

HEAD-TO-HEAD
Jay Cutler is 5-1 vs. Matthew Stafford in the NFL. If you look closer at the stats, it is pretty clear why. In these 6 games, Cutler has thrown 7 TD’s against only one INT. Stafford has thrown 8 TD’s vs. 8 INT’s. If head-to-head competition is a feasible indicator of superior talent, how can Cutler’s dominance of this rivalry be overlooked? In point of fact, Cutler was the second highest rated QB in the NFC North this past year, despite an inept OC and the other aforementioned issues. What’s even more troubling is the fact that Stafford left both the 2009 game and the 2010 game in which he played against the Bears. People still won’t forgive Cutler for the 2010 NFC Championship fiasco, yet it’s seemingly fine for Stafford to leave multiple games with an assortment of injuries during his 2009 and 2010 campaigns. It seems people only want to focus on the ebullient stats Stafford brings to the table without taking a hard look at his win-loss percentage as well as his failure to defeat quality teams like the Chicago Bears, the Atlanta Falcons, and just about any team with a winning record. Add to that the fact that Detroit slings it more than just about any other team and it’s easy to see why Stafford puts up a lot of yards.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Matthew Stafford is a talented QB whose arm complements the Lions’ style. He can still improve, yet he and Cutler share many traits. They are both quintessential gunslingers that take chances other QB’s shy away from. They force defenses to cover the entire field. They both have a tendency to run hot and cold, yet are among the best in the business when they bring their “A” Game. However, if wins and losses define the better players, Jay Cutler has to rise to the top owing to his better record, especially considering the people he’s had around him the past 4 seasons in Chicago. This year will be a good sampling because Jay Cutler finally has two things he’s lacked since his pro-bowl days in Denver – - efficient coaching and a decent O-line.
Matthew Stafford must prove he can win big games vs. quality teams. He must be able to defeat Jay Cutler lest his Top 10 status become even more dubious. Last season, defenses figured out a way to limit him. If Stafford is truly one of the best, he must circumvent this and find a way to win. At the end of the day, that’s all that matters.

September 26th, 2013, 11:27 am
NFL Veteran

I.E. wrote:
Credit to Lightborn09. http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=25&f=1752&t=11689436

It's a decent article. I don't think it is an indictment of Stafford so much as it shows that both of these guys are victims of the overall quality of their teams. I believe it is fair to say Stafford gets unreasonable praise for his statistics simply because they are huge and in spite of the fact that they haven't led to success even with the NFL's best weapon. And I believe it is true that Cutler is unjustifiably criticized, considering the challenges he's had with little supporting cast and the successes he's had in spite of them. Sure - the Bears D has carried Jay in many games. But hasn't the Lions D been hyped for years? Can the Lions D be blamed for Stafford throwing the same amount of TDs and Cutler on 50% more tries? I believe it can be credibly argued that Cutler has done more with less.

Cutler critics typically take refuge in 2 arguments:

1.) Questioning his toughness from a single incident - his injury in the NFCC game. He left the game, saying he couldn't run or plant his foot. People criticized him because he appeared to be able to walk fine and stand on the sideline... and was even on the exercise bike on the sideline hoping it would feel better. Later it was confirmed to be a torn MCL. Still people continue to repeat endlessly that he's not tough because of a legitimate injury, while simultaneously ignoring the fact that many QBs (including their favorites) have left games due to legitimate injury more often than Cutler. If Matt Stafford is not a china doll, then Jay Cutler is certainly not "not tough". Is Cutler a jerk face? Sure. Is it tough? You bet.

2.) Cutler's record against Aaron Rodgers & the Packers. It is abysmal ... but so is everyone else's record against the Packers. If it is an indictment against Cutler, it has to be against Stafford as well.

Quote:
Posted: 7/7/2013 5:46 AM

The Truth Behind Matthew Stafford and Jay Cutler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which QB is really better? The #'s don't lie.
http://nflspinzone.com/2013/06/18/the-truth-behind -matthew-stafford-and-jay-cutler/

Matthew Stafford is commonly heralded as a top 10 QB in the NFL. Recently, NFL.com placed him #76 out of its annual Top 100. While Stafford burst onto the scene in 2011 with career numbers, a closer look comparing him to arch-rival Jay Cutler reveals very troubling implications, as the latter QB is hardly ever included the “elite discussion”. However, if a QB must be measured on his wins, particularly against quality competition, Jay Cutler not only surpasses Stafford, he makes him look rather weak in comparison.

Often, pundits and fans alike point to Cutler’s record versus Aaron Rodgers. They use this as the basis for proving that Jay isn’t on the same level because of the head-to-head significance. While this is a fair point, the same logic must apply when comparing Cutler to Stafford. The Georgia product is 1-5 vs. Cutler, and if you look at their in-game stats as well as complementary personnel, it’s not that close at all. Most of the attention has been devoted to Stafford and his growing legacy. This piece will do the opposite.

First, however, let’s break down Matt Stafford a bit more.

THE CASE AGAINST MATTHEW STAFFORD
Many fail to concede that, despite his 5,000 yard season in 2011, Stafford failed to defeat a single team that finished with a winning record. Up until the Seahawks game in 2012, the QB had NEVER defeated a single team that fared better than .500. People point to Cutler’s struggles vs. Green Bay; however, Stafford has never defeated Rodgers, has never made a pro-bowl, has never won a playoff game, has never won a division title, has never played in a conference title game, and cannot beat quality teams. In case you’re keeping score, Jay Cutler has accomplished all of those things.
When comparing quarterbacks, fans and the media alike rarely factor wins and losses into the equation. This is the case with both Stafford and Cutler. This past season, Matthew Stafford threw nearly 300 more passes than Jay Cutler. He was only sacked 29 times the entire season despite the fact that he fired an insane 727 passes. Yet, with better protection, a legitimate Tight End, and the league’s best WR, Stafford only managed one more TD. Cutler enjoyed the better passer rating, and Stafford threw 3 more INT’S.

Jay Cutler, on the other hand, did not have a Tight End that was starter quality, and prior to 2012, the Vanderbilt alumni was throwing to glorified kick returners and converted CB’s (Johnny Knox, Devin Hester, Rashied. Davis) and suffered from the worst offensive line pro football had to offer. The fact that Cutler was sacked MORE than Stafford last year despite tossing 293 LESS passes tells you everything you need to know concerning how poor Cutler’s protectors were. Adding in the fact that Mike Tice was a big proponent of max protection, and those sack figures become even more egregious.

In a pass-happy league, the Lions threw the ball 196 more times than their opponents. Conversely, the Bears threw the pigskin 107 times LESS than their opponents. This is a key point because in 2011 Stafford and the Lions chucked it 666 times, an enormous amount of drop-backs. This has afforded Stafford many more chances to succeed in the passing game. Cutler, likewise, has thrown the ball much less. This owes in part because of the presence of Matt Forte and the liability of the Bears’ O-line. Cutler was sacked 38 times in only 14.5 games, yet he still beat more teams that finished with a winning record compared to Stafford. In fact, since 2007, Cutler has defeated at least 2 teams per year that enjoyed a record better than .500. The same cannot be said for Stafford, who routinely falls short vs. premier teams and has defeated only 1 team that finished over .500 his entire career. Yet, pundits unfailingly overlook this important point, crediting him for his lofty passing numbers in favor of showcase wins.

THE CASE FOR JAY CUTLER
While some “experts” have begun to point to Jay’s promising win-loss record, others are too mired in statistical bling to give him any credit. If you look at what Jay had around him, even including Brandon Marshall, it’s clear that Stafford enjoyed much better weaponry. While Stafford benefits from the league’s best WR in Calvin Johnson, he also has a real Tight End in Brandon Pettigrew, a capable O-line, and effective coaching. Jay had one WR last year (Marshall), a horrendous O-line, no viable Tight End, a kick returner and a rookie for complementary wideouts (Hester and Jeffery). The fact that Jay is more mobile than Stafford but was sacked 9 more times despite throwing far fewer passes reveals part of the reason his numbers haven’t blown off the charts. Throw in the fact that Cutler played in nearly 2 fewer games and this appears even more troubling.

The best evidence that Jay Cutler is the superior QB rests in his win-loss record when measured against Stafford’s as well as head-to-head competition. For his NFL career, Stafford is 17-28. This is hardly an impressive record for a player entering his fifth campaign. The lack of quality wins is especially troubling, especially when compared to Jay Cutler, whose NFL career record is 51-38. In his last 38 COMPLETE games, however, Cutler is 28-10. He is 27-13 over the past 3 seasons. What’s more, nobody uses these figures to compare the 2 players. Stats rule the day, and it’s unfortunate because Cutler simply hasn’t had the players around him or the coaching to truly reach his potential.

HEAD-TO-HEAD
Jay Cutler is 5-1 vs. Matthew Stafford in the NFL. If you look closer at the stats, it is pretty clear why. In these 6 games, Cutler has thrown 7 TD’s against only one INT. Stafford has thrown 8 TD’s vs. 8 INT’s. If head-to-head competition is a feasible indicator of superior talent, how can Cutler’s dominance of this rivalry be overlooked? In point of fact, Cutler was the second highest rated QB in the NFC North this past year, despite an inept OC and the other aforementioned issues. What’s even more troubling is the fact that Stafford left both the 2009 game and the 2010 game in which he played against the Bears. People still won’t forgive Cutler for the 2010 NFC Championship fiasco, yet it’s seemingly fine for Stafford to leave multiple games with an assortment of injuries during his 2009 and 2010 campaigns. It seems people only want to focus on the ebullient stats Stafford brings to the table without taking a hard look at his win-loss percentage as well as his failure to defeat quality teams like the Chicago Bears, the Atlanta Falcons, and just about any team with a winning record. Add to that the fact that Detroit slings it more than just about any other team and it’s easy to see why Stafford puts up a lot of yards.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Matthew Stafford is a talented QB whose arm complements the Lions’ style. He can still improve, yet he and Cutler share many traits. They are both quintessential gunslingers that take chances other QB’s shy away from. They force defenses to cover the entire field. They both have a tendency to run hot and cold, yet are among the best in the business when they bring their “A” Game. However, if wins and losses define the better players, Jay Cutler has to rise to the top owing to his better record, especially considering the people he’s had around him the past 4 seasons in Chicago. This year will be a good sampling because Jay Cutler finally has two things he’s lacked since his pro-bowl days in Denver – - efficient coaching and a decent O-line.
Matthew Stafford must prove he can win big games vs. quality teams. He must be able to defeat Jay Cutler lest his Top 10 status become even more dubious. Last season, defenses figured out a way to limit him. If Stafford is truly one of the best, he must circumvent this and find a way to win. At the end of the day, that’s all that matters.

You can't ignore the complete lack of a running game that Stafford has dealt with. The Lions D has never been hyped, the only thing that gets hype is their Dline everything else was routinely laughed at.

You can't say Cutler has done more with less because he's never been on a team with less talent.

Stafford and Cutler are probably at the exact same level right now only real difference is Stafford hopefully still has some upside and he definitely has a better attitude.

September 26th, 2013, 11:52 am
Stadium Announcer

The article calls Pettigrew a "legitimate" tight end? His only legitimate talent is dropping the ball. He can't catch a cold or hang on to herpes. I've always thought counting wins and losses in arguments about players is flawed since this is a team game. It is fair to say Cutler has accomplished more in his career. Anyone who questions his toughness doesn't know the game.

September 26th, 2013, 12:53 pm
Walk On

millam21 wrote:
The article calls Pettigrew a "legitimate" tight end? His only legitimate talent is dropping the ball. He can't catch a cold or hang on to herpes. I've always thought counting wins and losses in arguments about players is flawed since this is a team game. It is fair to say Cutler has accomplished more in his career. Anyone who questions his toughness doesn't know the game.

Oh yeah... good catch on Pettigrew. What a disappointment he turned out to be (kinda like Finley in GB). I do like both Scheffler and Fauria though ... although Scheffler is more of a big WR, like Greg Olsen. Fauria is hilarious.

September 26th, 2013, 1:14 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

millam21 wrote:

That will always be a great mystery to me. For a guy to start out so strong and flash top 5 TE potential, but then to apparently just lose it mentally, is mind boggling. Maybe he needs the dreaded 'fresh start.'

September 26th, 2013, 2:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next