View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 3:26 am



Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Next up: Chicago Bears 
Author Message
Pop Warner Allstar

Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Posts: 146
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
I.E. wrote:
Well it is obviously not going to be productive to argue about what other people do or don't do. Chicago has more fans, by virtue of being from a far more populous area... and then that feeds on itself as people move all over the place & a lot of Chicago fans end up virtually everywhere. I admit - that has to be a bit annoying. I believe population is the explanation for that, vs all the Green Bay fans out there that are basically just people who will root for a winner no matter who they are. They'll all disappear if GB goes through another 20 year losing period like they did in the '70s and '80s.

But anyway... by definition a bigger population means there will be more bad fans. And if you go to a game in Chicago there will be mostly Bear fans there ... so there will be more bad guys & what some of you guys are saying may be true ... but it doesn't really mean anything at the end of the day, and of all the people I know that are Bear fans I don't know anybody that would do anything more than give an opposing fan a good natured ribbing and probably even trade off buying beers.

I'm only responsible for my own behavior and haven't see much of the stuff you guys are talking about. And I ever do, more often than not I'll speak up and point out to someone that they're being an badonkadonk no matter who they are or what team they cheer for.

Anyway... I hope it doesn't rain on Sunday (current prediction is 40% chance of showers :( ). My son and I will be with a bunch of Lions fans in Lot 3 and we won't be easy to miss in our Payton and Hester jerseys! Stop on by and say hello if you're in the area. Next week we'll be cheering for the same team!

When I went to Dallas, I was living in Austin and just to make this clear, Dallas is a very big city... Bustling economy and an absolutely rabid fan base. Football is culture in Texas and they love "them Cowboys." You could literally walk up to a complete stranger, man woman or child, in Dallas or Austin and talk defensive line strategy or the benefits of running a 3-4. In Michigan, yeah, we've got the Lions and U of M, but the football culture in Texas is incredible. In Alabama even in the 80s when I lived there, the football culture is maybe better in some ways than Texas, but they don't have the love for the pro game like Texas does.
The point is... In a city like Dallas, where football is a much bigger deal on almost every level, where the population is huge and there are other things to do in the city besides watch an NFL game, the vast majority of fans I interacted with were great ambassadors to Lions fans.
In Chicago, I just think the fans who give Chicago a bad name watch the game with a different mentality. It's not the WWE. It's football. No matter how many fans you harass or spit on in the stands, the outcome of the game will still be the same.
So I guess I'm not buying "Chicago is a big city and that's how fans are in a big city." Dallas didn't behave like 12 year olds, TB didn't act like 12 year olds and even Seattle didn't act like 12 year olds. I know it's a bitter rivalry, but Christ, have a little respect for the game and your fellow human being who is out with his kids trying to watch a damn football game.


September 27th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: September 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Posts: 408
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
I don't think it is a bitter, or much of a rivalry - to tell you the truth. I never grew up with that, and in 17 years here in Michigan have never felt like it was a big rivalry game. I've enjoy rooting for the Lions when they aren't playing the Bears - even before I moved to Michigan.

I've discussed this here before - when you ask Bear fans about rivalries they'll basically never mention the Lions. Sure, it is a division game, so the games are definitely important every season, and some hard feelings develop between the players (and the fans)... but it still just isn't the same as the hatred of the Vikings or the Bear/Packer rivalry that goes back to the origin of the league. One of the reasons I've always cheered for the Lions when they're not playing the Bears ... is the real bitter rivalry with those other two teams (I want the Lions to beat them).

I get it - you have decided you prefer a general characterization of Bear fans where they spit on people. I can't help you with that. It isn't that I just disagree & your opinion is legit - I know you're overwhelmingly wrong, and biased - and will likely not ever change your mind. The problem with that, is if you go into games with that in mind... I'm guessing you act accordingly ... and then it shouldn't be shocking if you act unfriendly and then get that in return. But the spitting? No way. Maybe once. Not common. Not representative. That's BS.


September 28th, 2013, 11:34 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
Spitting...every time I've been to soldier wearing a lions jersey. If it's not spit, it's beer, before and after continuous personal insults. After about a dozen games at that turd hole, I'll never go back. Same goes for the cubs, but that's expected since it's the same fans, but the cubs suck donkey balls and have for 100 years. That is the reason why I absolutely hate the bears and generalize their fans. When you get treated like crap for not being fan of their team and going out of your way to avoid the conflict and not be a dick, you can only tolerate it for so long. Keep in mind, I used to be active at dabearz.com and used to have some great conversations with bears fans, but there's 4 douche rockets for every 1 intellectual fan who is tolerable of "outsiders". It's far worse in Chicago than anywhere else I've lived or been to games regularly...STL, Detroit, DC, Baltimore, Dallas, Seattle...Chicago is the worst in that regard. The only place I've heard that's worse is Oakland, but I've never been and will never go, just like to any NY or Philly game.

Seriously, enough of the Super Bowl shuffle and mike ditka, it was 30 F'ing years ago.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


September 28th, 2013, 12:33 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3818
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
conversion02 wrote:
Spitting...every time I've been to soldier wearing a lions jersey. If it's not spit, it's beer, before and after continuous personal insults. After about a dozen games at that turd hole, I'll never go back. Same goes for the cubs, but that's expected since it's the same fans, but the cubs suck donkey balls and have for 100 years. That is the reason why I absolutely hate the bears and generalize their fans. When you get treated like crap for not being fan of their team and going out of your way to avoid the conflict and not be a dick, you can only tolerate it for so long. Keep in mind, I used to be active at dabearz.com and used to have some great conversations with bears fans, but there's 4 douche rockets for every 1 intellectual fan who is tolerable of "outsiders". It's far worse in Chicago than anywhere else I've lived or been to games regularly...STL, Detroit, DC, Baltimore, Dallas, Seattle...Chicago is the worst in that regard. The only place I've heard that's worse is Oakland, but I've never been and will never go, just like to any NY or Philly game.

Seriously, enough of the Super Bowl shuffle and mike ditka, it was 30 F'ing years ago.



My best friend is a diehard bears fan, he agrees wtih alot of what the guys are saying. He got nothing but love when he went to the spaceship for a game, but he couldn't help but be disgusted by some of the ways the general fans treated oposition fans. they were basically treated like they flat out didnt belong there...his words.

while I.E. is right, not ALL bears fans are a-holes..( my friend being a fine example of that) but there are an overwhelmingly high number of idiots identified as bears fans.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


September 28th, 2013, 12:53 pm
Profile
Walk On

Joined: September 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Posts: 408
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
I've been to upwards of 30 games, and have never seen that. Never - unless the fans of the other teams are all drunk and start something (which then is about the individuals, and has nothing to do with the team).

I give up. No sense in arguing about it.


September 28th, 2013, 12:59 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Allstar

Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Posts: 146
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
I.E. wrote:
I don't think it is a bitter, or much of a rivalry - to tell you the truth. I never grew up with that, and in 17 years here in Michigan have never felt like it was a big rivalry game. I've enjoy rooting for the Lions when they aren't playing the Bears - even before I moved to Michigan.

I've discussed this here before - when you ask Bear fans about rivalries they'll basically never mention the Lions. Sure, it is a division game, so the games are definitely important every season, and some hard feelings develop between the players (and the fans)... but it still just isn't the same as the hatred of the Vikings or the Bear/Packer rivalry that goes back to the origin of the league. One of the reasons I've always cheered for the Lions when they're not playing the Bears ... is the real bitter rivalry with those other two teams (I want the Lions to beat them).

I get it - you have decided you prefer a general characterization of Bear fans where they spit on people. I can't help you with that. It isn't that I just disagree & your opinion is legit - I know you're overwhelmingly wrong, and biased - and will likely not ever change your mind. The problem with that, is if you go into games with that in mind... I'm guessing you act accordingly ... and then it shouldn't be shocking if you act unfriendly and then get that in return. But the spitting? No way. Maybe once. Not common. Not representative. That's BS.

It's not that it's a bitter rivalry, per se. But these two teams see each other twice a year and have since the beginning of professional football, basically. Teams tend to get chippy.
I suppose there's been no rivalry for anyone at our ages to see between the Bears and the Lions. I don't recall a time when both teams were particularly good at the same time. In the 80s when the Bears did the shuffle, the Lions were flopping. When the Lions were good in the 90s, the Bears were dwelling in the basement. And yes, I remember before Favre came to Green Bay and they were horrific. I remember seeing GB on the schedule and thinking, "Well those two games are wins FOR SURE," perennially.
So maybe rivalry isn't the right word, but when you have to play someone and fans basically have to interact more than most teams, players and fans get chippy. But I still maintain that as big of a trash heap that Chicago thinks Detroit may be, Chicago is a heap of trash as well. I suppose Chicago hates seeing its own reflection when it looks across the water to Detroit.


September 28th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
HechePipe wrote:
But I still maintain that as big of a trash heap that Chicago thinks Detroit may be, Chicago is a heap of trash as well. I suppose Chicago hates seeing its own reflection when it looks across the water to Detroit.


Highly disagree. People from Chicago are more like NYers when it comes to their town. It's the best, just ask them. Even the south spiders...and the south side is like flint lol.

Generally, Chicago is a very nice place with a lot of great things. Just don't go to a sporting event in a different colored jersey...been there, done that.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


September 28th, 2013, 4:00 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
Wow, thank god Reggie is in beast mode today, because stafford is missing everywhere

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


September 29th, 2013, 2:31 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9888
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
conversion02 wrote:
Wow, thank god Reggie is in beast mode today, because stafford is missing everywhere


Lions should have 11 more points, and the Bears 3 less, if Stafford were playing better. 41-10 would look much better.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 29th, 2013, 2:40 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Allstar

Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Posts: 146
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
A few things I learned from the Bears win:

I think I'll reserve judgement on Slay for now. He got beat a few times, but on a few of those receptions that he gave up, he was actually defending really well. I think if he continues to develop, he is the answer for one of the CB positions. So far, not looking like a bad pick. If Mathis is out next week, I expect Slay to pick up the slack 100% and play at least as well as Mathis played in this game.

The Lions rushed for over 100 yards in a half since I can't remember. This offensive line needed this win today and they only allowed one sack, which belonged to Reiff. But every LT gives up a sack once in a while. Other than that, the run blocking was more than effective and the pass blocking was very solid. Wins like this are what gets teams over the hump. Not saying the Lions are over the hump, but this win tells me that the only pieces we actually NEED on the line, provided everyone stays healthy, is a good road-grading center in the draft this coming year. Warford was a good pick, Reiff seems like a win in the draft. A few more confidence building wins, and we're talking about how the offensive line is one of the best in football.

That defensive line could plug in a Shih Tzu and still collapse a pocket. Outside of the Forte run, there was no running game to speak of for Chicago. That "great young offensive line" allowed their first sacks of the season, never were really able to get a good push for Forte and basically looked like a bunch of rookies. Back to life, back to reality.

For everyone that that talks down about Delmas... Scoreboard. He absolutely is a pro-bowl safety when on the field.

With a running game that effective, Nate who? If the Broyles/Durham tandem can grow a little bit more, it's a nice one-two punch to compliment Calvin. Still need to obtain a solid #2 in the offseason, but the depth of that receiving core just got a little bit better, provided this performance isn't a fluke.

Scott Linehan will throw the ball on 2nd and 2 in the red zone when your running back has 140 yards on the game. This offensive playcalling is driving me nuts. Please replace Linehan?


September 29th, 2013, 4:37 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1163
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
HechePipe wrote:
Scott Linehan will throw the ball on 2nd and 2 in the red zone when your running back has 140 yards on the game. This offensive playcalling is driving me nuts. Please replace Linehan?

Play call was great, execution was awful. Should have been an easy 1st down but the throw was bad.

Compare it to 3 mins to go. We run it. Sensible call, right? Uh, oh - fumble.

Don't let the announcers sway you.


September 29th, 2013, 5:26 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Allstar

Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Posts: 146
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
UK Lion wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
Scott Linehan will throw the ball on 2nd and 2 in the red zone when your running back has 140 yards on the game. This offensive playcalling is driving me nuts. Please replace Linehan?

Play call was great, execution was awful. Should have been an easy 1st down but the throw was bad.

Compare it to 3 mins to go. We run it. Sensible call, right? Uh, oh - fumble.

Don't let the announcers sway you.

It's not just that call. It's all of the dink and dunk and I believe they should be taking more deep shots to Calvin Johnson. This isn't the first time this playcalling has driven me nuts. I do like what the running game has shaped into, but I think Linehan needs to be a little more aggressive with getting the deep ball to Calvin. I was waiting for that result on one of those plays. Last week, it was a pick-6. Quick slant, pick 6. But with their offensive woes in the red zone early in the game and with the way Bush and Bell were running the ball, announcers be damned, that is an interception that didn't need to happen.
If my team has a choice to either fumble the ball or throw an interception, I'd rather fumble it ten times out of ten. Why? Because fumbles rarely get returned for 6 points 80 yards the other way. It happens, but not as often as a pick-6.
I can't help agreeing with an announcer when they state the obvious.


September 29th, 2013, 6:06 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9888
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
As much as I've been critical of Linehan over the years, I think he called a pretty solid game this time around. He was switching it up with more passing on first downs, as opposed to the typical run-run-pass that he usually does on first, second and third downs. The pass near the goal line made a bunch of sense, and Stafford simply screwed up. Can't hang that on the OC any more than you can blame him for Bell fumbling the ball.

If Stafford plays better, the Lions hang around 55 points on the Bears. His passing was highly inconsistent. The best thing I saw from this game was that Pettigrew and Durham finally got their hands out of their pockets and started making some catches.

And I agree that the shot Bostic gave to Durham in the back should have been flagged, and should be fined. Had it been Suh that did something like that, there would be pitchforks and torches being handed out at the league offices right now. The double standards are ridiculous with something like that.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


September 29th, 2013, 6:16 pm
Profile
Junior Varsity
User avatar

Joined: October 23rd, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 184
Location: Dartmouth
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
m2karateman wrote:
As much as I've been critical of Linehan over the years, I think he called a pretty solid game this time around. He was switching it up with more passing on first downs, as opposed to the typical run-run-pass that he usually does on first, second and third downs. The pass near the goal line made a bunch of sense, and Stafford simply screwed up. Can't hang that on the OC any more than you can blame him for Bell fumbling the ball.

If Stafford plays better, the Lions hang around 55 points on the Bears. His passing was highly inconsistent. The best thing I saw from this game was that Pettigrew and Durham finally got their hands out of their pockets and started making some catches.

And I agree that the shot Bostic gave to Durham in the back should have been flagged, and should be fined. Had it been Suh that did something like that, there would be pitchforks and torches being handed out at the league offices right now. The double standards are ridiculous with something like that.



I agree with pretty much everything you said. I liked the playing calling today, except for the odd throw it 4 yards short when we need X yards for first down, but most of the miss in execution was by Stafford's poor throws. And yes, I will will say we had been running the ball well, but we also got stuffed a few times on short yardage, especially when when the Bears saw we lined up to run it. Stafford's throw is a bit higher, CJ catches it, nothing else ever said.

I will assume that when the league reviews the tapes throughout the week, a fine will be given on the hit on Durham.

Good game, good win today. I thought it would be a tough game physically, and the Lions would come out banged up, but with the overall outcome, I think our chances next week went up a bit. Still not prediction a win at this point though.

_________________
I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit


September 29th, 2013, 6:37 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2231
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
I.E. wrote:

Image
Garza's smiling for a reason.

Because he likes giving up inside pressure?

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


September 29th, 2013, 7:43 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.