View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 8:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Next up: Chicago Bears 
National Champion

Post Re: Next up: Chicago Bears
I didn't watch this game (it wasn't on in DC), but I keep hearing that Stafford was inconstant. He was 65% for completions. What am I missing?

September 29th, 2013, 8:10 pm
League MVP

I.E. wrote:
OK we'll see. It isn't just 3 games that it is based on - it is the opposition. I wouldn't be so bullish on the Bear Oline if they had played Arizona and Washington instead of Cincy and Pittsburgh. Sure, Pittsburgh is 0-3. But they're not as bad as they look, and they still have Dick LeBeau's strategy, Palomalu, Woodley and a lot of other good players. And they lost to Cincy, the Bears and Titans... we'll see how they do against lessser teams. My point is, although the Lion DL is formidable (and understand I think the DTs are the best tandem in the NFL!)... the Bears have seen other good ones and not only held their own but actually looked good. Really looking forward to that Suh/Long matchup.

And in fairness, it isn't just the Oline against the D that is making the Oline look good. Trestman has Cutler getting rid of the ball quickly, and making better decisions. He's like a different QB out there. The Lions aren't going to be on top of him all day like they're used to. They'll get to him a couple of times, maybe.... but it likely won't be from the interior, and I expect Cutler to have at least a "3 Mississippi" pocket against the Lions - something he's never had.

The Legend wrote:
wow 3 games of slauson and long and you are acting like they are all world. slauson is an average guard, the jets didnt even keep him and took a shot at stephen peterman instead who they didnt even keep. thats all you need to know, 3 yr starter only 27 yo and all he got was a 1 yr deal. just bc a guy paints his face and caused a well publicized ACL injury doesnt make him a bad rectum. he represents an upgrade for the chicago bears but that doesnt make him a suh or fairley dominator.

OK - yeah, I didn't mean to say Slauson is an all-pro. I did mean that he's been playing very well in Kromer's system, and has been kind of a bada$$ on the field so far (including looking like one... lol). I don't think Slauson is going to dominate Fairley ... I DO think that Fairley is going to struggle more than he has ever against the Bears. I DO think Long is playing like an all-pro. The guy is drawing rave reviews from credible objective sources, and I'm excited about it.

Man - I can't wait for this game.

all pro, lol

September 29th, 2013, 8:15 pm
QB Coach

Hystrix wrote:
I didn't watch this game (it wasn't on in DC), but I keep hearing that Stafford was inconstant. He was 65% for completions. What am I missing?

He was bailed out a few times by good catches and he kept missing open guys (Broyles wide open deep) and not anticipating where the WR was going to be. He just looks sloppy sometimes and if he cleans that up our passing game will be a well oiled machine.

September 29th, 2013, 8:18 pm
National Champion

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

He was bailed out a few times by good catches and he kept missing open guys (Broyles wide open deep) and not anticipating where the WR was going to be. He just looks sloppy sometimes and if he cleans that up our passing game will be a well oiled machine.

Got it. Wish I could have seen the game. I think you miss a lot when you just follow NFL.com

September 29th, 2013, 8:23 pm
RIP Killer

Hystrix wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Got it. Wish I could have seen the game. I think you miss a lot when you just follow NFL.com

What ILF said is pretty much spot on. The pick he threw was entirely on him. On a simple slant pass near the goal line, he threw the ball at Calvin's legs and behind him. He wasn't leading his receivers well, and he just didn't seem to be 'on' as much as he's been in previous games.

Thankfully, his inconsistency was offset by some very nice throws, by some good running, good protection and blocking, and constant pressure on Cutler. Cutler was off his game and struggling due to the pressure, and that is what caused the picks he threw.

September 29th, 2013, 8:33 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:
OK we'll see. It isn't just 3 games that it is based on - it is the opposition. I wouldn't be so bullish on the Bear Oline if they had played Arizona and Washington instead of Cincy and Pittsburgh. Sure, Pittsburgh is 0-3. But they're not as bad as they look, and they still have Dick LeBeau's strategy, Palomalu, Woodley and a lot of other good players. And they lost to Cincy, the Bears and Titans... we'll see how they do against lessser teams. My point is, although the Lion DL is formidable (and understand I think the DTs are the best tandem in the NFL!)... the Bears have seen other good ones and not only held their own but actually looked good. Really looking forward to that Suh/Long matchup.

And in fairness, it isn't just the Oline against the D that is making the Oline look good. Trestman has Cutler getting rid of the ball quickly, and making better decisions. He's like a different QB out there. The Lions aren't going to be on top of him all day like they're used to. They'll get to him a couple of times, maybe.... but it likely won't be from the interior, and I expect Cutler to have at least a "3 Mississippi" pocket against the Lions - something he's never had.

The Legend wrote:
wow 3 games of slauson and long and you are acting like they are all world. slauson is an average guard, the jets didnt even keep him and took a shot at stephen peterman instead who they didnt even keep. thats all you need to know, 3 yr starter only 27 yo and all he got was a 1 yr deal. just bc a guy paints his face and caused a well publicized ACL injury doesnt make him a bad rectum. he represents an upgrade for the chicago bears but that doesnt make him a suh or fairley dominator.

OK - yeah, I didn't mean to say Slauson is an all-pro. I did mean that he's been playing very well in Kromer's system, and has been kind of a bada$$ on the field so far (including looking like one... lol). I don't think Slauson is going to dominate Fairley ... I DO think that Fairley is going to struggle more than he has ever against the Bears. I DO think Long is playing like an all-pro. The guy is drawing rave reviews from credible objective sources, and I'm excited about it.

Man - I can't wait for this game.

all pro, lol

LOL. I think my favorite part about all that was saying the pressure wouldn't come from the interior. The interior is basically where all the pressure comes from, the ends are just clean up guys.

September 29th, 2013, 8:35 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

So far the Bears' toughest competition has been the Lions and they were handily beaten. Next week, they don't have it much better with the Saints.
After next week, I think we'll all be certain that the Bears just aren't a very good team. They beat Minnesota by a prayer, beat a lowly Steelers team and barely escaped Cincy. After next week, we should get a better idea of where the Bears are really at.
I don't think you can plug in a couple of rookies on the offensive line, change coaches, implement a new scheme, lose key players on defense, not upgrade the aging ones and come out smelling like roses.
Not to take anything away from the W, of course, but I think the Bears showed who they were today. If they turn around and beat the Saints, I might need something to wash down my crow dinner, but we shall see.

September 30th, 2013, 1:54 am
Div 1 - Starter

m2karateman wrote:
And I agree that the shot Bostic gave to Durham in the back should have been flagged, and should be fined. Had it been Suh that did something like that, there would be pitchforks and torches being handed out at the league offices right now. The double standards are ridiculous with something like that.

If Suh had done that, he'd be facing a $500,000 fine and possibly a full season suspension or even banishment from the league.

September 30th, 2013, 7:36 am
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Lions' Darius Slay 'kind of mad' after fan struck him with beer bottle in end zone
By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com
on September 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM,
updated September 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM

DETROIT -- Rookie cornerback Darius Slay hasn't played very well this season, and now he's getting stuff thrown at him in his own stadium.

Including a beer bottle.

Slay was struck in the back of the legs by the bottle during Sunday's 40-32 win against the Chicago Bears. The incident occurred in the final seconds of the second quarter after he defended a pass intended for Bears receiver Martellus Bennett in the back of Ford Field's west end zone.

A stadium official rushed into the end zone to collect the bottle before play resumed.

"I was looking, like, 'Did someone just throw a bottle at me?" Slay said after the game. "I felt it, I looked around.

"I was just kind of mad, because somebody threw a bottle at me."

It's unclear who threw the bottle, although there were several Bears fans near the corner of that end zone who led several "Let's go Bears!" chants. That includes one while Rashean Mathis was helped off the field after sustaining a possible concussion.

Slay started the first two games of the season, but was benched in both after allowing big plays and didn't appear at all last week against Washington.

He was benched again against Chicago, but entered in the first quarter following Mathis' injury. He said he thought he played well, and was particularly pleased with breaking up one pass in the end zone.

But he also appeared to be beat on multiple plays, including on a 14-yard touchdown pass to Chicago's Alshon Jeffery.

"I wouldn't say he struggled today," Mathis said. "Those guys get paid as well, and they have two big receivers, and he didn't just lay an egg today. He definitely didn't do that. Those guys are big playmaking receivers with strong hands.

"I think he held his own. Things happen where everyone's going to get scored on -- that's just part of our jobs -- but I think he did a good job. He'll learn from his mistakes."

Update (7:16 p.m.): MLive user "MadMatter" reports in the comments below that the fan in question sat near him and was in fact a Bears fan.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... f_mad.html

September 30th, 2013, 10:09 am
Player of the Year - Defense

It was a bears fan and he was ejected.

September 30th, 2013, 10:19 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:

Well, that certainly doesn't speak well of Illinois Eric's position that Bears fans aren't as bad as what some people say they are.

I.E. - your thoughts??

September 30th, 2013, 11:00 am
Pop Warner Allstar

m2karateman wrote:
njroar wrote:

Well, that certainly doesn't speak well of Illinois Eric's position that Bears fans aren't as bad as what some people say they are.

I.E. - your thoughts??

I was waiting for someone to mention that.
Bearfan represented themselves in typical fashion today. Come to someone else's house and throw things at players. If this were at Soldier Field, I'm willing to bet there's more than just a bottle thrown.
But what am I saying? Bearfans are peaceful and inviting. Yes, come to Soldier Field wearing a Stafford jersey! No need to worry about getting decked with snowballs, food and saliva! I mean it's not like Bearfan would travel almost four hours to watch a game and get ejected for throwing a bottle at a player... No, not Bearfan.

September 30th, 2013, 11:27 am
3rd Round Selection

How many Bears fans were at Ford Field - from the cheering on good Bears plays, clearly a lot.

1 of them was an idiot. A massive, massive idiot, yes - but one idiot doesn't colour an entire fan base.

September 30th, 2013, 12:02 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

UK Lion wrote:
How many Bears fans were at Ford Field - from the cheering on good Bears plays, clearly a lot.

1 of them was an idiot. A massive, massive idiot, yes - but one idiot doesn't colour an entire fan base.

Of course not. But do you see why they have a reputation?

September 30th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Walk On

Honestly? If people haven't gotten the point yet ... my take is, anyone who insists on labeling an NFL team's entire fan base with a "reputation" on the actions of a few people are either dumb or just biased and wanting so badly to feel better about themselves that they just see what they want to see to the exclusion of everything else.

Using the logic I've seen here, I suppose I should consider all Lions fans to be ridiculous dumb, drunken a$$es because one jerk shouted "Bears suck!" into my 14 year old son's face while we were walking out after the game. But that was just one douchebag.

Other than that, I saw pretty typical interactions around us, for the most part, for such an intense game. There are always some poor winners and some poor losers. Some dummies and some cool people on both sides. That was the case yesterday - was pretty normal.

Again - all I can tell you about my thinking on fan behavior is this: I try to act like an example of good sportsmanship and fan of the game overall. If I'm at a Bear game and see Bear fans gloating and being jerks over a victory or loss, my approach is to tell them to act like they've been there before & expect to win. And understand that all NFL teams lose games during a season, so relax about it. And yesterday is a good example of that.

On the Bear OLine ... I haven't changed my mind on them, at all. Good for the Lions that their two top draft choices played in the way expected when they're two top draft choices...like I've said here, that's what is supposed to happen, and how the league encourages parity. If that means the Lions win half of the games against the Bears in the future, then so be it - that's better than a supposed rivalry, where one team wins 25 out of 30 games.

I'm not going to argue here about specific plays, or whether Suh's two sacks and the Fairley TD were the gifts I believe they were... gifts from Cutler and not the Oline. (Don't bother commenting back on that - that's all you're going to hear from me on it... just my opinion as a fan. The game's on film to rewatch, and opinions are what they are.)

I saw Jay get 3-4 mississippi in the pocket plenty enough times yesterday, and saw him able to use his legs adequately when he didn't get that. Unfortunately for we Bear fans, Jay's arm and the clock in his head weren't working too well yesterday. It happens. The Bears are still a really good team, and he's a good QB.

So good game, fellas - yesterday was a Lions victory in all 3 phases. The Bears had an abysmal game at the QB position, had an epic bad game on ST (especially for the Bears), and then couldn't defend sufficiently with the field position that resulted. That's a losing formula.

Congrats, and see you in Chicago!

September 30th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next