View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Gameday Thread: Bears @ Lions. 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Re: Gameday Thread: Bears @ Lions.
conversion02 wrote:
Actually, the bears converted a third down, in the 4th quarter.

Let's try not to run the bear fan out of here, he's also a lions fan...in some extent. I appreciate his insight

It's not my intention to run anyone out of here. But bragging rights are hard to come by as a Lions fan and I'll be damned if it's not burning a hole in my pocket. I'm a bit of a dick, but it's the internet and well... I hate Illinois.
:mrgreen:

Yes, yes, I did forget about that lone 3rd down conversion. I suppose I'll pencil them in for XLVII. :wink:
But seriously, the Bears will lose if they play like this against NO, GB, NYG, BAL, DAL or PHI. If this is the true Chicago Bears team today, they are in some serious, serious trouble.
If the Bears don't fix whatever went wrong today, they will be getting a high draft pick in 2014, which they SHOULD use on a franchise QB because if you didn't know by now, if you pressure Cutler, he is not accurate. Their line may yet develop into a great pass protecting force, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen within the next few weeks. They were absolutely atrocious today.

September 29th, 2013, 9:30 pm
NFL Veteran

HechePipe wrote:
rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
So now that Chicago is 3-1, I think it's a good time to wonder if Chicago really deserves a 3-1 record.
I mean, who have the Bears really beaten?
We were all saying this about the 2-1 Lions, but now I think it's time we ask the same question of the Bears. Looking at the Bears right now, they look like fool's gold without Urlacher. After all of the expensive toys the Bears got Cutler to play with, HE IS STILL INACCURATE. I.E. says he's not, but CUTLER CAN NOT ACCURATELY STAND IN THE POCKET AND THROW. Dude just got shown what's up by something called Glover Quin. Can we stop talking about how Cutler is on the verge of becoming this All-Pro quarterback? Hasn't happened yet, Bearfan and it's not going to anytime soon. The Lions secondary made him look like Joey Harrington today. Lost, confused, slinging the ball any damn where he pleases. Bearfan: Stop comparing Cutler to Stafford. Stafford is one of the top 8 quarterbacks in the league. Also, stop acting like your defense is as good as it was in years past. It's not. Players age, Urlacher left and clearly you're struggling to compensate and can not. The Bears are looking very Lionesque. Won 3 quick games and then exposed only to land at below .500 by the end of the year.
Good luck with Minnesota, Green Bay and yes, Detroit the rest of the way. Hope your GM nails that high draft pick this April.
\:D/

Don't go overreacting. Trestman has Cutler getting rid of the ball quicker and if their line rebounds from the Lions game Cutler should go right back to what he was doing in his previous 3 games. Their defense still managed to knock balls lose, so they still have a chance for TOs and Urlacher was one of the weakest parts of that defense the last 2 years. If anything is effecting that defense it's just the fact they have no pass rush.

Don't get me wrong, now... The Lions are no world-beaters at this point.
I'm just saying that the Bears have faced weak competition thus far and they basically laid right down for their toughest opponent in the Lions today on the road. Cutler is getting rid of the ball quicker, but what great secondary has he proven himself against so far? I don't think the NFC North fans can just say that the Bears are going to have a great season and they're going to go deep into the playoffs. For years, the best teams in the NFC North have been Green Bay and Chicago and Minnesota spoiling a few times. The Packers are down on their luck, but they'll be back. I don't think the Bears will be mentioned this year when we're talking about the good teams in the NFC North. But at week 10 or so, maybe we can have this discussion again.
I think their offensive line woes have been exposed today and I think the Lions just gave up the blueprint for beating the Bears. Ball security, pressure to the quarterback.
Just realize... The Bears didn't convert a single 3rd down today. Against the Lions. This is not a good Bears team.
Please don't bring up the Steelers. They just lost to Minnesota. That is the worst Steelers teem I've seen since the Kordell Stewart was the Quarterback. Not too sure what's wrong with Minnesota, but the Lions handled them fairly easily as well. They barely escaped Cinci and Minnesota with wins and beat up the worst Steeler team I can remember. Today they laid down for the Lions. From my foxhole, it looks like we've seen the best we're going to see from the Bears this year.

Your blowing this a little out of proportion. They didn't lay down for anyone, they continued to fight all the way to the end. Cutler never lost control and did his best to bring them back trying to fight through the pressure he was getting. This horrible Bears team still had a running back with a 6.8 yards per carry average and a defense that caused 4 fumbles recovering 2 along with an INT. The Lions will probably be the best interior pass rush they will see all season, there is no reason to think they will be giving up that much pressure from now on. The NFC North has one of the weakest schedules this season and the Bears will easily be in the 8-8 to 10-6 area.

September 29th, 2013, 10:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:

Let's try not to run the bear fan out of here, he's also a lions fan...in some extent. I appreciate his insight

Actually, no they did not. They failed on that 3rd down. They then went for it on 4th down and got the 1st down.

September 29th, 2013, 10:22 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
So now that Chicago is 3-1, I think it's a good time to wonder if Chicago really deserves a 3-1 record.
We were all saying this about the 2-1 Lions, but now I think it's time we ask the same question of the Bears. Looking at the Bears right now, they look like fool's gold without Urlacher. After all of the expensive toys the Bears got Cutler to play with, HE IS STILL INACCURATE. I.E. says he's not, but CUTLER CAN NOT ACCURATELY STAND IN THE POCKET AND THROW. Dude just got shown what's up by something called Glover Quin. Can we stop talking about how Cutler is on the verge of becoming this All-Pro quarterback? Hasn't happened yet, Bearfan and it's not going to anytime soon. The Lions secondary made him look like Joey Harrington today. Lost, confused, slinging the ball any damn where he pleases. Bearfan: Stop comparing Cutler to Stafford. Stafford is one of the top 8 quarterbacks in the league. Also, stop acting like your defense is as good as it was in years past. It's not. Players age, Urlacher left and clearly you're struggling to compensate and can not. The Bears are looking very Lionesque. Won 3 quick games and then exposed only to land at below .500 by the end of the year.
Good luck with Minnesota, Green Bay and yes, Detroit the rest of the way. Hope your GM nails that high draft pick this April.

Don't go overreacting. Trestman has Cutler getting rid of the ball quicker and if their line rebounds from the Lions game Cutler should go right back to what he was doing in his previous 3 games. Their defense still managed to knock balls lose, so they still have a chance for TOs and Urlacher was one of the weakest parts of that defense the last 2 years. If anything is effecting that defense it's just the fact they have no pass rush.

I'm just saying that the Bears have faced weak competition thus far and they basically laid right down for their toughest opponent in the Lions today on the road. Cutler is getting rid of the ball quicker, but what great secondary has he proven himself against so far? I don't think the NFC North fans can just say that the Bears are going to have a great season and they're going to go deep into the playoffs. For years, the best teams in the NFC North have been Green Bay and Chicago and Minnesota spoiling a few times. The Packers are down on their luck, but they'll be back. I don't think the Bears will be mentioned this year when we're talking about the good teams in the NFC North. But at week 10 or so, maybe we can have this discussion again.
I think their offensive line woes have been exposed today and I think the Lions just gave up the blueprint for beating the Bears. Ball security, pressure to the quarterback.
Just realize... The Bears didn't convert a single 3rd down today. Against the Lions. This is not a good Bears team.
Please don't bring up the Steelers. They just lost to Minnesota. That is the worst Steelers teem I've seen since the Kordell Stewart was the Quarterback. Not too sure what's wrong with Minnesota, but the Lions handled them fairly easily as well. They barely escaped Cinci and Minnesota with wins and beat up the worst Steeler team I can remember. Today they laid down for the Lions. From my foxhole, it looks like we've seen the best we're going to see from the Bears this year.

Your blowing this a little out of proportion. They didn't lay down for anyone, they continued to fight all the way to the end. Cutler never lost control and did his best to bring them back trying to fight through the pressure he was getting. This horrible Bears team still had a running back with a 6.8 yards per carry average and a defense that caused 4 fumbles recovering 2 along with an INT. The Lions will probably be the best interior pass rush they will see all season, there is no reason to think they will be giving up that much pressure from now on. The NFC North has one of the weakest schedules this season and the Bears will easily be in the 8-8 to 10-6 area.

You're going with the 6.8 YPC to defend Forte? Take away the run, he has 13 carries for 42 yards. The stat that's closer to the truth is 3.2 YPC. Come on now, converting zero 3rd down conversions and aside from the one Forte run, the Bears laid down for the Lions. That game was over at halftime and you know it.
I'm not saying the Lions are new great NFCN team, but Christ, is the a Bears message board or a Lions message board?
Yes, against the soft coverage that basically just kept everything in front of them, Cutler made it look respectable but was still inaccurate. They did get turnovers, just not when it counted.
Deny it all you want, but the Bears folded like a chair today.

September 29th, 2013, 10:42 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

Just what makes you think the Bears are a good team at this point?
Who have they beaten that makes you think that? What have they done so far to make a believer out of you?

September 29th, 2013, 10:48 pm
RIP Killer

They beat the vikes by a point in the last 15 seconds

However, with a couple ball bounces, that game could have easily been 53-32 lions or 35-30 bears...

September 29th, 2013, 11:01 pm
NFL Veteran

HechePipe wrote:
rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:

You're going with the 6.8 YPC to defend Forte? Take away the run, he has 13 carries for 42 yards. The stat that's closer to the truth is 3.2 YPC. Come on now, converting zero 3rd down conversions and aside from the one Forte run, the Bears laid down for the Lions. That game was over at halftime and you know it.
I'm not saying the Lions are new great NFCN team, but Christ, is the a Bears message board or a Lions message board?
Yes, against the soft coverage that basically just kept everything in front of them, Cutler made it look respectable but was still inaccurate. They did get turnovers, just not when it counted.

The Lions Dline outplaying their Oline does not equal lying down. The Bears were very much still in the game going into the half and actually cut the lead down to 2 scores pretty quickly in the 3rd. The Bears got outplayed in this game nothing more. I very much dislike the Bears just like a lot of Lions fans, but I'm not going to let that blind me to the fact they are an average to above average team with a cupcake schedule. I wouldn't even count out the Vikes to make a turnaround this season if they keep Cassel at QB and AP stays healthy.

September 29th, 2013, 11:07 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:

The Lions Dline outplaying their Oline does not equal lying down. The Bears were very much still in the game going into the half and actually cut the lead down to 2 scores pretty quickly in the 3rd. The Bears got outplayed in this game nothing more. I very much dislike the Bears just like a lot of Lions fans, but I'm not going to let that blind me to the fact they are an average to above average team with a cupcake schedule. I wouldn't even count out the Vikes to make a turnaround this season if they keep Cassel at QB and AP stays healthy.

I'm sorry, but if the Lions defensive line merely just outplayed the Bears offensive line, then I guess World War II was "just a skirmish." They were beaten badly in TOP (when it was still a competitive game), they allowed 2 sacks on Cutler in the first half, and I think the soft coverage the Lions were playing in the second half helped Forte's 3.2 YPC because in that first half, I doubt he was getting anything over 2.5ypc aside from that one run. Cutler had pretty much nothing when Mathis, Houston and Delmas were on the field.
So either the Lions basically dominated an "above average" (your words) Bears team in every facet of the game, including special teams.
Or, the more likely scenario, that the Bears are not very good this year and their offensive line is in deep sh1t with problems on both sides of the ball.
Then again if you're just a contrarian like most Lions fans, you probably would say this game is a complete fluke for both teams and the Lions are still garbage and the Bears are still a very good team that had a hiccup today.

I really don't see what there is to debate... The Bears are below average (how far below average, I'm not sure) and their offense laid right down when the game was competitive. The Lions played soft zone with their backups in the game, Cutler scores a few to make the score seem not so embarrassing and here we sit, hashing out whether or not the Bears are a good team this year. They have weapons, but the Lions defensive line gave Cutler trouble due to what looked like weakness in their offensive line. Cutler got rattled and became Rex Grossman, and the Bears were never able to overcome it. The score was 40-13 at one point. I know you want to disagree with me because that's the nature of a Lions fan, but they laid down, dude. The Lions d-line is good, but they're not 40-13 against an "above average" Bears team good.

September 30th, 2013, 12:46 am
3rd Round Selection

BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Actually, no they did not. They failed on that 3rd down. They then went for it on 4th down and got the 1st down.

iirc, one of their TDs came on a third down. So they did convert 1.

Checked on nfl.com - their last TD "3-7-DET 10 (:47) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short left to 80-E.Bennett for 10 yards, TOUCHDOWN."

September 30th, 2013, 6:01 am
Team MVP

Im sure this has been mentioned, but im too lazy to look..

But..

I loved how Suh completely won the Suh vs Long matchup. Suh definitely has more power, constantly driving him backwards. Long is a rookie and has played quite well. but Suh showed who the veteran is. That was huge.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

September 30th, 2013, 7:35 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Once again Billy, you speak before you know the facts. The Bears converted 1 of 13 third down attempts at a first down. They converted two fourth down tries out of 2. Looking up the game stats is pretty easy. You should try before you respond like that.

September 30th, 2013, 8:58 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Bottom line to me is, Lions won this game even though Stafford had a terrible day. Way to go Lions!

September 30th, 2013, 8:59 am
RIP Killer

HechePipe wrote:

I don't think thumping your chest is the right move at this point. The Lions beat the Bears. Good. Act like you've been there before. While the Bears haven't really faced stellar competition thus far, neither did the Lions. Both teams have some challenges ahead.

And before any of you jump down my throat AGAIN, let me reiterate, I am very happy about their win over the Bears. But it doesn't change that the Lions were fortunate. Yes, fortunate. Stafford fumbles, recovers for a TD. Bush fumbles, Calvin recovers, Bush scores on the next play. If those two fumbles don't bounce to the Lions, this is a different ball game folks.

There was a boatload of GOOD things in this game....
-Reduced penalties (Lions flagged just three times)
-Rushing game was incredible
-Defensive line was awesome
-Playcalling was NOT predictable
-Offensive line was really good
-Safety play was good
-Lions created turnovers
-Pettigrew and Durham started catching passes

The BAD was limited, but not non-existant....
-Offense disappeared in second half
-Injuries to Houston and Mathis
-Stafford highly inconsistent throughout game
-Turnover in red zone

The UGLY was there as well....
-FUMBLES......the Lions were fortunate to cover two of their three, but ball security needs to be addressed by all.

Schwartz was quoted as saying he didn't care about the statistics. He only cared about getting the win, and that's all that matters. Well, that's not what the winning NFL head coaches focus on. Let the players celebrate the win. And Schwartz should celebrate it as well. But you don't ignore those parts of the game that need to be improved during the remaining 12 games because you just beat a division opponent at home. Now the Lions have to take a trip to Lambeau against a Green Bay team that is rested and looking to show that they are the elite team of the NFC North. Sitting back and simply enjoying the win would be a monumental mistake. Green Bay lost twice, but against two pretty good teams in San Francisco and Cincinnati. I don't see them rolling over for the Lions at Lambeau any time soon.

I said after the win against Washington that the Lions needed to fix some things to be able to beat Chicago. The did fix a number of them. They cut down on penalties, made stops on third downs, and the players caught the ball better. Had they not improved in those areas, do you think they still would have beaten the Bears?

It was a great win for this team, one they needed to show themselves they could play a good game against a good opponent. And make no mistake, the Bears are a good team. But the game is over, the victory won, and a new opponent awaits. And that opponent isn't trembling in fear. The Packers EXPECT to win, and the Lions are going to have to continue to improve in certain areas while maintaining their excellence in others to squash the Packers expectations. I'd love to see that happen.

September 30th, 2013, 9:24 am
Modmin Dude

Love this!

September 30th, 2013, 10:11 am
NFL Veteran

HechePipe wrote:
I'm sorry, but if the Lions defensive line merely just outplayed the Bears offensive line, then I guess World War II was "just a skirmish." They were beaten badly in TOP (when it was still a competitive game), they allowed 2 sacks on Cutler in the first half, and I think the soft coverage the Lions were playing in the second half helped Forte's 3.2 YPC because in that first half, I doubt he was getting anything over 2.5ypc aside from that one run. Cutler had pretty much nothing when Mathis, Houston and Delmas were on the field.
So either the Lions basically dominated an "above average" (your words) Bears team in every facet of the game, including special teams.
Or, the more likely scenario, that the Bears are not very good this year and their offensive line is in deep sh1t with problems on both sides of the ball.
Then again if you're just a contrarian like most Lions fans, you probably would say this game is a complete fluke for both teams and the Lions are still garbage and the Bears are still a very good team that had a hiccup today.

I really don't see what there is to debate... The Bears are below average (how far below average, I'm not sure) and their offense laid right down when the game was competitive. The Lions played soft zone with their backups in the game, Cutler scores a few to make the score seem not so embarrassing and here we sit, hashing out whether or not the Bears are a good team this year. They have weapons, but the Lions defensive line gave Cutler trouble due to what looked like weakness in their offensive line. Cutler got rattled and became Rex Grossman, and the Bears were never able to overcome it. The score was 40-13 at one point. I know you want to disagree with me because that's the nature of a Lions fan, but they laid down, dude. The Lions d-line is good, but they're not 40-13 against an "above average" Bears team good.

Your opinion on the Bears is so incredibly infused with your Bears hate. Your calling the Bears a bad team because of one game. Their Oline is still bad but it has been worse and their defense is still leading the league in takeaways. The only part of their team that is worse than previous years is their pass rush because they lost Milton and Peppers has been showing his age since last year. They have yet to lose to a bad team, so calling them below average is unfounded.

Laid down means you gave up or surrendered, if there was one good thing the Bears actually did in that game it was that they did not lay down. Cutler even took a hit to the knees from Suh and just got up walked it off without yelling at his Oline or the refs. That team stayed calm and continued to try to get back in the game.

September 30th, 2013, 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next