View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Opening Point Spread Against Green Bay 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Opening Point Spread Against Green Bay
Well, they opened the point spread against Green Bay with the Packers favored by 6 1/2 points, which basically means that Vegas doesn't believe in the Lions start. I know its been 21 years since we won in Wisconsin but I don't believe the Pack are more than 3 or 4 point favorites in my eyes.

We shall see. Discuss.

Tim

October 1st, 2013, 11:08 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Re: Opening Point Spread Against Green Bay
TADOne wrote:
Well, they opened the point spread against Green Bay with the Packers favored by 6 1/2 points, which basically means that Vegas doesn't believe in the Lions start. I know its been 21 years since we won in Wisconsin but I don't believe the Pack are more than 3 or 4 point favorites in my eyes.

We shall see. Discuss.

That spread seems a little bit off to me.
6.5? Sure, if it was '09. That's a really tempting point spread. In no way do I believe the Lions will win this game, but I do think they will pull to within a touchdown. Green Bay isn't exactly lights-out right now and I know history is against the Lions, but 6.5?
Let me get my wallet...

October 1st, 2013, 11:14 am

Quote:
6.5? Sure, if it was '09. That's a really tempting point spread. In no way do I believe the Lions will win this game, but I do think they will pull to within a touchdown. Green Bay isn't exactly lights-out right now and I know history is against the Lions, but 6.5?
Let me get my wallet...

Vegas automatically gives the home team 3 points. With that said, I believe these two teams are about as even as they have been in recent years. Morgan Burnett is supposed to play his first game this weekend but I still think we can burn the GB defense for some big plays.

Tim

October 1st, 2013, 11:33 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

TADOne wrote:
Quote:
Let me get my wallet...

Vegas automatically gives the home team 3 points. With that said, I believe these two teams are about as even as they have been in recent years. Morgan Burnett is supposed to play his first game this weekend but I still think we can burn the GB defense for some big plays.

Agreed. I think it's going to be a shootout (especially with Houston possibly out).

October 1st, 2013, 11:38 am
Position Coach

Ya, the thought Darius Slay starting this week scares the hell out of me.

October 1st, 2013, 11:50 am
League MVP

Killwill25 wrote:

i believe mathis has been declared as not having had a concussion and is cleared but i could be wrong. the packers wideouts are going to have an advantage no matter who we have at corner but i feel better about this given our solid and at times outstanding safety play.

October 1st, 2013, 11:56 am
Pop Warner Allstar

Killwill25 wrote:

Slay scared me two weeks ago, but I really think you'll see an improvement out of him this week.
On the plays he gave up last week, he actually had decent coverage and Cutler was forcing the ball into his man. I saw Slay get his head around to locate the ball (not perfect timing, but a hell of a lot better than week 1) and he really really came close to knocking that ball loose. Following his progression from week 1, he does scare me. Rodgers is going to test him for sure.
But I think Darius Slay will pass. I don't think he's going to get any pick-6s or anything right now, but I do think he will end up as a starting CB on the Lions roster before next season. I think he will do as well as Rashean Mathis.
He was vastly improved in the Bears game from week 1 and I think if that progression continues, we're no longer worried about a #2 corner.

October 1st, 2013, 11:57 am
Walk On

October 1st, 2013, 11:58 am
Modmin Dude

I.E. wrote:

LMAO

Joe Fauria, MVP!

October 1st, 2013, 12:25 pm
Team MVP

Without making excuses BEFORE the game, I see it as this...we have to face a VERY tough opponent at a place that seems we never can win, and also against the refs, who will be officiating the NFLs most favored teams. Some say our D-line should manhandle their weak o-line.. I say no way, they will hold all day and not get called for it. Im tellin ya.

Delmas actually was a playmaker for the first time since 09, lets hope he can do it again.

I say Packers 31 Lions 17

Only because when the Lions offense is consistently playing good, and we all get excited, they find a way to sputter and make us all wonder what happened.

GO LIONS!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 1st, 2013, 1:31 pm
RIP Killer

Three things are going to determine just how close this game will be, and if the Lions can honestly get out of there with a win.

1. Will the real Matt Stafford please stand up?
-Stafford was very inconsistent against Chicago, and he really wasn't being pressured all that much. I could understand being off time with Durham and Broyles, since he has rarely thrown to them this season. But he was missing other receivers as well. And sorry, but it shouldn't matter who is running the pattern, he's gotta get them the ball in a catchable location. If Stafford shows up, and is 'on', then Green Bay could be facing a tough day.

2. One Bush is worth two in the hand.
-Can Reggie slash through the Green Bay defense like he did against Chicago. I'd rate the Packer linebackers as being faster than the Chicago backers, and tougher for our lineman to get to and block in front of Reggie. Should Reggie establish himself, the Packers will have to stack the box and force one on one coverage with our TEs and receivers other than CJ. Should Matt be throwing well, he could carve them up.

3. Cover me, I'm going in.
-Our secondary is a bit banged up, and the Packers have a great QB and a really good receiving corps. They have rested for a week and are likely looking to establish themselves as the true elite team in the NFC North. I don't expect the Lions secondary to shut out their receivers, but if they can hold coverage long enough to allow the pass pressure to get to Rogers, we could be in business. The Packers one true question mark is their offensive line. The Bengals were able to sack Rogers four times, and he threw two picks while under pressure. If the Lions can avoid giving up the chunk plays on the ground and in the air, they'll be in position to win.

October 1st, 2013, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Three things are going to determine just how close this game will be, and if the Lions can honestly get out of there with a win.

-Stafford was very inconsistent against Chicago, and he really wasn't being pressured all that much. I could understand being off time with Durham and Broyles, since he has rarely thrown to them this season. But he was missing other receivers as well. And sorry, but it shouldn't matter who is running the pattern, he's gotta get them the ball in a catchable location. If Stafford shows up, and is 'on', then Green Bay could be facing a tough day.

-Can Reggie slash through the Green Bay defense like he did against Chicago. I'd rate the Packer linebackers as being faster than the Chicago backers, and tougher for our lineman to get to and block in front of Reggie. Should Reggie establish himself, the Packers will have to stack the box and force one on one coverage with our TEs and receivers other than CJ. Should Matt be throwing well, he could carve them up.

-Our secondary is a bit banged up, and the Packers have a great QB and a really good receiving corps. They have rested for a week and are likely looking to establish themselves as the true elite team in the NFC North. I don't expect the Lions secondary to shut out their receivers, but if they can hold coverage long enough to allow the pass pressure to get to Rogers, we could be in business. The Packers one true question mark is their offensive line. The Bengals were able to sack Rogers four times, and he threw two picks while under pressure. If the Lions can avoid giving up the chunk plays on the ground and in the air, they'll be in position to win

All great points. I would add two more:

-Tackling. Yes, I know this is rudimentary and obvious, but how many times over the years have the Packers burned us on short or intermediate throws that they broke for big plays or touchdowns because we forgot to keep the play in front of us and finish off the tackle? Delmas and Quin need to have another big week.

-Special teams need to be special. Sam Martin has been the unsung hero through the 1st quarter of the season and is my MVP behind Bush and Suh.

Tim

October 1st, 2013, 3:15 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

m2karateman wrote:

-Our secondary is a bit banged up, and the Packers have a great QB and a really good receiving corps. They have rested for a week and are likely looking to establish themselves as the true elite team in the NFC North. I don't expect the Lions secondary to shut out their receivers, but if they can hold coverage long enough to allow the pass pressure to get to Rogers, we could be in business. The Packers one true question mark is their offensive line. The Bengals were able to sack Rogers four times, and he threw two picks while under pressure. If the Lions can avoid giving up the chunk plays on the ground and in the air, they'll be in position to win.

Solid assessment. I will say this, though... The one knock on the Bears was their offensive line. That, and the fact that Cutler will make bone-headed plays under pressure.
There are a ton of scenarios that, if played out, would give the Lions the game.
I'd call the game 38-35, Green Bay. I think 6.5 points is being far too generous to the Packers. The Packers are very good but their record isn't showing it right now. When is the last time a 1-2 team played a 3-1 team and got favored by 6.5? Vegas is crazy.
Not only are they 1-2, but they're coming off of a bye week. I don't know how good it is for an offense to play 3 games, lose two, then have a week off, then play against a 3-1 team who dismembered the Bears in the second and third quarter last sunday and looks to be pretty confident. If I had a lot of money to play around with, I'd have to find a bookie.

October 1st, 2013, 3:19 pm
League MVP

Quote:

I wonder if it was less about the receivers than the presence of Julius Peppers, the man almost singlehandedly responsible for what? 20 missed games by Stafford?

I agree, accuracy was a bit off, how about the side arm rocket frisbee pass he completed though? That was impressive.

Quote:

The Packers OL is not good, they ve gotten away with garbage players at tackles in years past but now they re down to this kid David Bakhtiari and he s not ready on the Left side. We will get pressure but how much will the refs protect Rodgers with penalty calls and how much of a rush can he evade, the receivers dont need much time to beat our No 2 and nickel corners. Continued strong safety play could be a major factor.

October 1st, 2013, 5:02 pm
Walk On

I know that transitive principles don't work too well in the NFL. But Lions beat the Bears, the Bears beat Cincy, and then Cincy beat the Packers. I really think right now that is the pecking order of those teams, based on how they're playing right now.

The Lions are in the progress of making some statements. The historic win against the Skins. The complete game/win against a team that over the past 20-30 years could easily travel to Detroit and expect a win. And now they're facing the long drought up north to overcome.

I personally see it happening that way. The Lions are on a roll. Whether it continues all year long? Who knows. But I think the Lions can win this one.

I don't think the Packers coming off the bye is going to matter too much. They didn't spend that time getting a new Oline or running backs. And their secondary isn't going to be the same without Woodson.

I'll guess Lion 37; Pack 27

October 1st, 2013, 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next