View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Schwartz thinks the NFL can be hypocritical on player safety 
Modmin Dude

Post Schwartz thinks the NFL can be hypocritical on player safety
PFT wrote:
Jim Schwartz thinks the NFL can be hypocritical on player safety
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 30, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT

Lions coach Jim Schwartz thinks the NFL is inconsistent in the way it enforces player safety rules, and he was particularly unhappy about one penalty that wasn’t called against the Bears on Sunday.

Late in the Lions’ 40-32 win, the Bears tried an onside kick and Lions receiver Kris Durham jumped on the ball and covered it up on the ground. As Durham was lying on the ground, Bears linebacker Jon Bostic delivered a hard hit to the small of Durham’s back. The officials didn’t throw a flag on Bostic, and Schwartz thinks they should have.

“He took a big shot,” Schwartz said of Durham. “I still can’t believe that. We talk a lot about player safety and things like that, and he’s laying prone on the ground, he’s giving himself up, and he takes a helmet right to the back and we don’t get any call there. It’s a little hypocritical to talk about player safety when we allow that to go, allow that to not get called. But Kris toughed it out.”

Schwartz’s team knows well that the NFL has made penalizing players who jeopardize the safety of their opponents a high priority. Bostic will likely be fined, but Schwartz is right to wonder why he wasn’t flagged.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... er-safety/
Is it too much to ask for consistency? I guess we'll see if Bostic gets fined....not holding my breath tho

Joe Fauria, MVP!

September 30th, 2013, 4:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Schwartz thinks the NFL can be hypocritical on player sa
Bostic will be fined since a Coach called it out. Also it wouldn't suprise me at all (though I personally think its BS) that the Coach could get fined for questioning the integrity of the NFL Officials / lack of a call.

September 30th, 2013, 4:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pop Warner Vet

If Suh did that it would be all over the news, 200k$ fine, forfeiture of season, dismantle the team.

October 1st, 2013, 12:04 pm
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
Bostic will be fined since a Coach called it out. Also it wouldn't suprise me at all (though I personally think its BS) that the Coach could get fined for questioning the integrity of the NFL Officials / lack of a call.

Coaches have called out other things like this, and nothing was done about it. I'd be shocked if the league fines Bostic, even though he deserved to be flagged and fined. In cases like this, where the flag isn't thrown, if they fine the player they should fine the official who was in the best position to make that call and failed to do so. It's ridiculous that it's OK for the officials to throw their flags whenever they feel like it, whether it's an issue of missing a foul or calling one that didn't happen. Officials should be held accountable.

October 1st, 2013, 6:03 pm
National Champion

m2karateman wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Coaches have called out other things like this, and nothing was done about it. I'd be shocked if the league fines Bostic, even though he deserved to be flagged and fined. In cases like this, where the flag isn't thrown, if they fine the player they should fine the official who was in the best position to make that call and failed to do so. It's ridiculous that it's OK for the officials to throw their flags whenever they feel like it, whether it's an issue of missing a foul or calling one that didn't happen. Officials should be held accountable.

+1

The horrible officiating in the NFL, along with the stupidity of Goodell is killing this league.

October 1st, 2013, 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]