View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Overlooked stat from the Bears game 
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Overlooked stat from the Bears game
Here's an overlooked but very interesting stat from the Bears game. When was the last time you saw a Lions stat line like this?

Lions Penalties: 3 for 25 yards

This means that they played at least one quarter without a penalty!

October 1st, 2013, 3:00 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Overlooked stat from the Bears game
I don't think too many fans overlooked that stat Growler.

October 1st, 2013, 8:46 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Growler wrote:
Here's an overlooked but very interesting stat from the Bears game. When was the last time you saw a Lions stat line like this?

Lions Penalties: 3 for 25 yards

This means that they played at least one quarter without a penalty!

Not overlooked at all.

October 1st, 2013, 9:30 am
Pop Warner Vet

If this is sustainable we can do some damage this year. Despite our other issues, I feel this is the biggest impediment to winning - shooting ourselves in the foot on silly penalties

October 1st, 2013, 12:02 pm
Team MVP

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
If this is sustainable we can do some damage this year. Despite our other issues, I feel this is the biggest impediment to winning - shooting ourselves in the foot on silly penalties

And thats where Schwartz comes into play (or SHOULD come into play).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 1st, 2013, 3:53 pm
RIP Killer

Reducing their penalties plays a role, but I don't think that is the biggest issue. The reason the Lions handled the Bears so well had to do with the stops on third down conversion attempts. I don't think there's too many teams that hold their opponents to just one third down conversion out of thirteen attempts in a game, and lose. Now, the Lions scoring a boatload of points and going up three touchdowns forced the Bears to pass the ball more than they wanted. But outside of the one two play drive where Forte scored on the long run, the Lions pretty much shutdown the Bears running attack and forced third and longs quite often. Put the opposing team in constant third and five or longer situations, and you third down stops increase dramatically.

The Lions allowed the Redskins to convert 6 of 13 third down attempts into first downs. That's part of the reason that game was so much closer than it should have been. Washington was able to sustain drives more often than they should have been able to.

October 1st, 2013, 6:15 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

m2karateman wrote:

Reducing their penalties plays a role, but I don't think that is the biggest issue. The reason the Lions handled the Bears so well had to do with the stops on third down conversion attempts. I don't think there's too many teams that hold their opponents to just one third down conversion out of thirteen attempts in a game, and lose. Now, the Lions scoring a boatload of points and going up three touchdowns forced the Bears to pass the ball more than they wanted. But outside of the one two play drive where Forte scored on the long run, the Lions pretty much shutdown the Bears running attack and forced third and longs quite often. Put the opposing team in constant third and five or longer situations, and you third down stops increase dramatically.

The Lions allowed the Redskins to convert 6 of 13 third down attempts into first downs. That's part of the reason that game was so much closer than it should have been. Washington was able to sustain drives more often than they should have been able to.

To be fair, I believe a few of those key drive-saving penalties came on third down. In those instances, I suppose you could say it was both penalties and not getting off the field on 3rd down. I'm almost positive one of those drive-savers came on third down in the red zone for WAS, if I'm not mistaken.

October 1st, 2013, 6:31 pm
RIP Killer

HechePipe wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

To be fair, I believe a few of those key drive-saving penalties came on third down. In those instances, I suppose you could say it was both penalties and not getting off the field on 3rd down. I'm almost positive one of those drive-savers came on third down in the red zone for WAS, if I'm not mistaken.

Good point. It's a combination of things, really. Reduced penalties, stiffer third down defense, our receivers hanging onto the ball, and the turnovers created by pressure....it all had a hand in the victory.

October 1st, 2013, 9:30 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Yeah, we're best in the league right now on 3rd down defense, holding teams to 21% conversion rate. We have also not faced a single running play on 3rd down, so that shows the pass defense is working when it matters and the defense is doing a decent job on first and 2nd downs to force 3rd and 4 or longer every game. We're also 9th in the league in red zone defense (15 attempts, 5 TDs). I think while the corners have been playing soft, they aren't giving up a lot of YAC. They're always in good position to stop the receivers as they catch the ball.

I think the safety play is the key to all that.

October 2nd, 2013, 9:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]