View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Mental Projection: Schwartz canned... who do you want 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Mental Projection: Schwartz canned... who do you want
It's two out of 5 years. This is his 5th year, not his 3rd. And one playoff game would probably keep him safe another year, but it's not enough in my opinion. Fontes only won one also, and it didn't save him. We need consistency, not up and down seasons.

October 2nd, 2013, 11:02 am
Pop Warner Allstar

njroar wrote:
It's two out of 5 years. This is his 5th year, not his 3rd. And one playoff game would probably keep him safe another year, but it's not enough in my opinion. Fontes only won one also, and it didn't save him. We need consistency, not up and down seasons.

The team was in such disarray (I think we can agree to that) that I don't know if you can count the first season he took over. Would it be fair to expect playoffs in a rookie head coach taking over an 0-16 team? Would it be fair to expect a rookie QB to win the Superbowl? It happens, but that's certainly not the norm or the expectation.
I'm simply saying, if they make it to the playoffs this year, that makes two of the last three years of Lions in the playoffs. I suppose you COULD say Fontes did the same thing, but Fontes didn't take over an 0-16 team. Cocaine Wayne wasn't battling a rookie front office, either. At the time, the Lions FO was one of the best in the business. Fontes didn't have to overcome Millen's blown draft picks.
I don't think you can compare the Schwartz experience to the Fontes experience. Fontes was given a very good offensive line, the best running back ever to touch a football, a free safety that we're still trying to replace, a QB who some idiots STILL believe is better than Matt Stafford, a HOF record-breaking WR in Herman Moore, another WR who catches 100 balls in a season named Brett Perriman, a slot receiver in Johnny Morton who caught quite a few balls, a HOF MLB, a HOF DE, and another very very good DE. All of these players were on the field at the same time for Fontes. Fontes should have done more. Schwartz, I believe, is making the most of what he was given as of today.

Last edited by HechePipe on October 2nd, 2013, 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

October 2nd, 2013, 11:15 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Too early to make any definitive judgments, but it appears Schwartz has the guys playing tough (as always) and smart (for the most part). We also have more talent than we've ever had under his tenure, so he has zero excuses on that front if we don't live up to our potential.

Every team, no matter how good, is going to struggle when hit with injuries to key players (look at the Niners with their receiver corps). That's the big reason I'm willing to overlook last year. Our secondary was really bad, but they were also really depleted by injuries. Same goes for WRs other than CJ.

October 2nd, 2013, 11:29 am
Pop Warner Allstar

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Too early to make any definitive judgments, but it appears Schwartz has the guys playing tough (as always) and smart (for the most part). We also have more talent than we've ever had under his tenure, so he has zero excuses on that front if we don't live up to our potential.

Every team, no matter how good, is going to struggle when hit with injuries to key players (look at the Niners with their receiver corps). That's the big reason I'm willing to overlook last year. Our secondary was really bad, but they were also really depleted by injuries. Same goes for WRs other than CJ.

This is make or break for Schwartz. If he makes it, though, I think it catapults him to Lions fame. It's pretty much all in for Schwartz. If he wins a playoff game, I think he's the best coach the Lions have had, which doesn't say much. If he finishes under 8-8, he's Mariucci, Ross, Mohrningweg.

October 2nd, 2013, 11:36 am
NFL Veteran

I think you could make a case for him being the best modern day coach they have had if he wins a playoff game or even if he just makes the playoffs again. That being said, IMO it's more an example of how bad the Lions have been at hiring coaches more so than Schwartz being a good head coach.

Buddy Parker is the Lions greatest coach. Second highest winning percentage in team history and 2 championships.

October 2nd, 2013, 11:52 am
Pop Warner Allstar

thelomasbrowns wrote:

I hope you mean "we have more talent in 2013 than we've ever had under Schwartz." Because the Lions had more talent in every wholesale unit in 1991-1996 than they do now. Back then, the Lions weren't working with cast-off corners, had Spielman, had Porcher and Pritchett, 3 pro-bowl receivers, Sanders... They certainly do not have more overall talent now than the 90s.
But yes, Schwartz has a better team NOW than he has ever had.

October 2nd, 2013, 8:15 pm
QB Coach

HechePipe wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:

I hope you mean "we have more talent in 2013 than we've ever had under Schwartz." Because the Lions had more talent in every wholesale unit in 1991-1996 than they do now. Back then, the Lions weren't working with cast-off corners, had Spielman, had Porcher and Pritchett, 3 pro-bowl receivers, Sanders... They certainly do not have more overall talent now than the 90s.
But yes, Schwartz has a better team NOW than he has ever had.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he was saying (that it is more talent than Schwartz has ever had).

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 3rd, 2013, 5:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3