View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 6:56 pm



Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Available WRs for Lions 
Author Message
Pop Warner Allstar

Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Posts: 146
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
njroar wrote:
Yeah, I saw a lot of announcements that they worked him out, so I thought the same thing. But looking over them, they all said last week. Maybe someone asked a question about him in the presser and they acknowledged he worked out last week. Who knows. With Edwards still gimpy, it'd make sense.

I don't think they get a true #2 type until the draft or offseason. Only iffy part about the draft is most WR take awhile to get up to speed unless you're taking them in the first round. And there's probably a lot better options in the early rounds depending on where we're drafting.

I agree.
The only time I really want the Lions to draft a receiver in the early rounds is if they absolutely know for certain that this guy is definitely going to be the #1 or #2 for years to come.
I don't think Burleson has a lot of fans on this forum, but that's a good example of being able to plug in a decent free agent at the #2 spot. Plus, there are decent receivers to be had in pretty much every round and UDFA. If you're going to take a risk, I'd much rather take a risk in free agency or round 4 of the draft or later than wasting a pick that could be a starting CB, C, or even RB. I would actually prefer the Lions draft an early DT again than take an early WR. If it's a consensus can't-miss prospect at WR, then go right ahead. But the Lions can not afford to miss on an early WR again.
I hope they just wait until the offeseason and make a trade or make a move for a free agent #2. I don't see any Percy Harvins or Calvin Johnsons in the '14 draft yet, but we'll just have to see. For whatever reason the Lions suck at evaluating WR talent so I hope they just get a guy with good hands with some gas left in the tank, capable of running routes. Can't ask for much more.


October 1st, 2013, 11:47 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9888
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
HechePipe wrote:
njroar wrote:
Yeah, I saw a lot of announcements that they worked him out, so I thought the same thing. But looking over them, they all said last week. Maybe someone asked a question about him in the presser and they acknowledged he worked out last week. Who knows. With Edwards still gimpy, it'd make sense.

I don't think they get a true #2 type until the draft or offseason. Only iffy part about the draft is most WR take awhile to get up to speed unless you're taking them in the first round. And there's probably a lot better options in the early rounds depending on where we're drafting.

I agree.
The only time I really want the Lions to draft a receiver in the early rounds is if they absolutely know for certain that this guy is definitely going to be the #1 or #2 for years to come.
I don't think Burleson has a lot of fans on this forum, but that's a good example of being able to plug in a decent free agent at the #2 spot. Plus, there are decent receivers to be had in pretty much every round and UDFA. If you're going to take a risk, I'd much rather take a risk in free agency or round 4 of the draft or later than wasting a pick that could be a starting CB, C, or even RB. I would actually prefer the Lions draft an early DT again than take an early WR. If it's a consensus can't-miss prospect at WR, then go right ahead. But the Lions can not afford to miss on an early WR again.
I hope they just wait until the offeseason and make a trade or make a move for a free agent #2. I don't see any Percy Harvins or Calvin Johnsons in the '14 draft yet, but we'll just have to see. For whatever reason the Lions suck at evaluating WR talent so I hope they just get a guy with good hands with some gas left in the tank, capable of running routes. Can't ask for much more.


I agree. #2 receivers should not be taken in the first two rounds. The Lions have to decide what they want out of their second receiver. Do they want a track star, or do they want a big, physical possession guy. Think either Mike Wallace or Anquan Boldin.

Personally I'd take the Anquan Boldin type over the pure speed guy. But having a six footer that can stretch the field would be awesome too.

Can we just clone CJ four times?

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 1st, 2013, 2:26 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Allstar

Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Posts: 146
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
It would be really nice if Broyles has another good game. When Burleson comes back, I'd put him in the slot. There really is no use taking a young player the Lions have spent money on, promoting him and finding out he's equal to Burleson at least, then demoting him for the aging vet. I really think with all the misfortune of Burleson's injuries, though he's been a really pleasant surprise for Detroit, it's time to let him go. I'd say make him a 4th WR, but his price tag is too high to be a #4.
And if Broyles can prove to be a valid #2 while Burleson is out, it's a whole lot easier to draft or trade for or find a slot receiver to replace Burleson than it would be to find a #2. College football programs are full of 6'0" wide receivers with decent 40 times and above average hands. Find one, make him a slot receiver, profit.
If Broyles can just be good enough to catch 60-70 balls a year, it would be really tremendous for the organization. That would mean an extra spot in the draft or extra cap money to fill depth with veterans. If the Lions could evaluate WR talent properly, I'm sure there will be a freshly graduated WR from a small school somewhere that broke a bunch of records in that division that will snatch a few balls out of the slot position that goes undrafted.
Please, Broyles, lock down that #2 spot and stay healthy.


October 1st, 2013, 5:33 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9888
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
HechePipe wrote:
It would be really nice if Broyles has another good game. When Burleson comes back, I'd put him in the slot. There really is no use taking a young player the Lions have spent money on, promoting him and finding out he's equal to Burleson at least, then demoting him for the aging vet. I really think with all the misfortune of Burleson's injuries, though he's been a really pleasant surprise for Detroit, it's time to let him go. I'd say make him a 4th WR, but his price tag is too high to be a #4.
And if Broyles can prove to be a valid #2 while Burleson is out, it's a whole lot easier to draft or trade for or find a slot receiver to replace Burleson than it would be to find a #2. College football programs are full of 6'0" wide receivers with decent 40 times and above average hands. Find one, make him a slot receiver, profit.
If Broyles can just be good enough to catch 60-70 balls a year, it would be really tremendous for the organization. That would mean an extra spot in the draft or extra cap money to fill depth with veterans. If the Lions could evaluate WR talent properly, I'm sure there will be a freshly graduated WR from a small school somewhere that broke a bunch of records in that division that will snatch a few balls out of the slot position that goes undrafted.
Please, Broyles, lock down that #2 spot and stay healthy.


I don't see Broyles as the answer for our #2 receiver. I could be wrong, so I'm not saying he absolutely is not the guy. But I think the Lions could find someone better. Broyles is a great route runner, and has very consistent hands. However, he can't stretch the field with his speed, and he doesn't have the size to take the punishment to go over the middle. He is a really good receiver, but doesn't have ability to stay healthy. As such, he's a formidable slot receiver, but I have my reservations about him playing as the #2 guy.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 1st, 2013, 5:59 pm
Profile
Pop Warner Allstar

Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Posts: 146
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
m2karateman wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
It would be really nice if Broyles has another good game. When Burleson comes back, I'd put him in the slot. There really is no use taking a young player the Lions have spent money on, promoting him and finding out he's equal to Burleson at least, then demoting him for the aging vet. I really think with all the misfortune of Burleson's injuries, though he's been a really pleasant surprise for Detroit, it's time to let him go. I'd say make him a 4th WR, but his price tag is too high to be a #4.
And if Broyles can prove to be a valid #2 while Burleson is out, it's a whole lot easier to draft or trade for or find a slot receiver to replace Burleson than it would be to find a #2. College football programs are full of 6'0" wide receivers with decent 40 times and above average hands. Find one, make him a slot receiver, profit.
If Broyles can just be good enough to catch 60-70 balls a year, it would be really tremendous for the organization. That would mean an extra spot in the draft or extra cap money to fill depth with veterans. If the Lions could evaluate WR talent properly, I'm sure there will be a freshly graduated WR from a small school somewhere that broke a bunch of records in that division that will snatch a few balls out of the slot position that goes undrafted.
Please, Broyles, lock down that #2 spot and stay healthy.


I don't see Broyles as the answer for our #2 receiver. I could be wrong, so I'm not saying he absolutely is not the guy. But I think the Lions could find someone better. Broyles is a great route runner, and has very consistent hands. However, he can't stretch the field with his speed, and he doesn't have the size to take the punishment to go over the middle. He is a really good receiver, but doesn't have ability to stay healthy. As such, he's a formidable slot receiver, but I have my reservations about him playing as the #2 guy.

I don't see it happening either, but if he continues to catch the ball and move the chains, it'll be hard to argue against him. I hope he's a starter no matter what WR position he plays, but I think slot receivers are the true "disposable" wide receivers. He would be much more valuable at #2, if he can play worthy of a #2, than slot. I think you could plug in a ton of cheap veterans at slot and they could be more effective than going out and trying to find that #2 guy.
I just hope he starts looking more like a #2 guy since this is his chance to do so.


October 1st, 2013, 6:20 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3686
Location: WSU
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
m2karateman wrote:
The Lions are working out Matt Willis. So, they may bring the 'Ninja' back into the fold. Another option is to start having Theo Riddick play some slot receiver, since he played receiver at Notre Dame and was pretty good at it.

The Lions would have to release someone if they sign Willis, and my theory is that they would cut Dejon Gomes, the fifth safety. The Lions typically carry only four, so that would be the most obvious move. But with Houston and Mathis looking a little dinged up, perhaps they want to cut from another area.

Is it possible they release Kellen Moore, the professional clip board holder?


I would doubt they cut Gomes, he s on all the special teams and though he s had a penalty or two he seems to be one of the first guys in on the action on kick coverage


October 1st, 2013, 8:46 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9888
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Lions are working out Matt Willis. So, they may bring the 'Ninja' back into the fold. Another option is to start having Theo Riddick play some slot receiver, since he played receiver at Notre Dame and was pretty good at it.

The Lions would have to release someone if they sign Willis, and my theory is that they would cut Dejon Gomes, the fifth safety. The Lions typically carry only four, so that would be the most obvious move. But with Houston and Mathis looking a little dinged up, perhaps they want to cut from another area.

Is it possible they release Kellen Moore, the professional clip board holder?


I would doubt they cut Gomes, he s on all the special teams and though he s had a penalty or two he seems to be one of the first guys in on the action on kick coverage


Really? I guess I haven't been paying attention, because I don't really see him or hear his name called. And since I don't really look to see who is active or not, I just assumed he was inactive for all these games.

Hmmmm......that releasing of Kellen Moore sounds better and better.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


October 1st, 2013, 9:33 pm
Profile
Online
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2307
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
I'd like it if Broyles were a little bigger but he's a perfect compliment to Calvin and is what the Lions need. He runs good consistent routes, gets open, moves the chains, and doesn't have the dropsies. I would like to see a speedster but that can be the #3 or #4 WR. Calvin has grown into a WR that can do it all but he is the deep threat and it's the other receivers responsibility to beat their man or the zone and move the chains. When Moss was in his prime he was the deep threat and it was the other guys working the short to intermediate parts of the field. As I said I'd like to see a speedy guy brought in at some point and a big body besides Durham, but it doesn't have to be the #2 WR.


October 2nd, 2013, 11:33 am
Profile
Pop Warner Allstar

Joined: September 23rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Posts: 146
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
sweetd20 wrote:
I'd like it if Broyles were a little bigger but he's a perfect compliment to Calvin and is what the Lions need. He runs good consistent routes, gets open, moves the chains, and doesn't have the dropsies. I would like to see a speedster but that can be the #3 or #4 WR. Calvin has grown into a WR that can do it all but he is the deep threat and it's the other receivers responsibility to beat their man or the zone and move the chains. When Moss was in his prime he was the deep threat and it was the other guys working the short to intermediate parts of the field. As I said I'd like to see a speedy guy brought in at some point and a big body besides Durham, but it doesn't have to be the #2 WR.

The Vikes had their Chris Carter next to Moss. The Lions had their Brett Perriman to compliment Moore. I'd love to see a WR of that caliber playing next to Calvin. Only then could we really draw the comparison of Moss/Moore/Johnson.


October 2nd, 2013, 11:44 am
Profile
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1385
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Lions are working out Matt Willis. So, they may bring the 'Ninja' back into the fold. Another option is to start having Theo Riddick play some slot receiver, since he played receiver at Notre Dame and was pretty good at it.

The Lions would have to release someone if they sign Willis, and my theory is that they would cut Dejon Gomes, the fifth safety. The Lions typically carry only four, so that would be the most obvious move. But with Houston and Mathis looking a little dinged up, perhaps they want to cut from another area.

Is it possible they release Kellen Moore, the professional clip board holder?


I would doubt they cut Gomes, he s on all the special teams and though he s had a penalty or two he seems to be one of the first guys in on the action on kick coverage


Really? I guess I haven't been paying attention, because I don't really see him or hear his name called. And since I don't really look to see who is active or not, I just assumed he was inactive for all these games.

Hmmmm......that releasing of Kellen Moore sounds better and better.


I'm not sure if it's possible for something to sound any better. The guy has been a waste of a roster spot all season.


October 2nd, 2013, 12:13 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2794
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
Broyles was never meant to be a #2. Nate isn't a #2 either, but he fit the system. They're slot receivers, and we've been missing a good outside receiver for awhile. With a decent threat outside, Nate or Broyles would be even more effective.


October 2nd, 2013, 2:14 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9489
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
This seems to be the year to trade, you had RB Richardson to Indy, OT Eugene Monroe went to the Ravens (who may unload Bryant McKinnie now), I hear OT Levi Brown is headed to Pittsburgh. You have RBs like LaMichael James (SF) and LeShoure not happy with their roles and may end with new teams. Seems like the trade market in the NFL is heating up so now is the time to jump on it if that is indeed the direction the Lions are heading.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


October 2nd, 2013, 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2794
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
And as I posted that, we've just worked out and signed Ogletree who was released by Tampa last night.


October 2nd, 2013, 2:24 pm
Profile
Online
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2794
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
Pablo wrote:
This seems to be the year to trade, you had RB Richardson to Indy, OT Eugene Monroe went to the Ravens (who may unload Bryant McKinnie now), I hear OT Levi Brown is headed to Pittsburgh. You have RBs like LaMichael James (SF) and LeShoure not happy with their roles and may end with new teams. Seems like the trade market in the NFL is heating up so now is the time to jump on it if that is indeed the direction the Lions are heading.



I think we'll be in the market for trades closer to the deadline. Deadlines spur action, so we'll see what happens.


October 2nd, 2013, 2:25 pm
Profile
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1385
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
Ogletree should be able to handle the outside spot decently allowing Broyles to stay in the slot. It's a good depth move and could work out really well if he can reproduce those 2 games he had in Dallas.


October 2nd, 2013, 2:56 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: inheritedlionsfan, jmathers, regularjoe12, sweetd20, Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.