View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 8:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Detroit Lions' Bill Ford: Chicago Bears a 'bunch of thugs' 
Modmin Dude

Post Detroit Lions' Bill Ford: Chicago Bears a 'bunch of thugs'
Freep wrote:
Detroit Lions' Bill Ford: Chicago Bears a 'bunch of thugs'
8:42 AM, October 2, 2013

The Detroit Lions-Chicago Bears rivalry just got a little more interesting.

During a question-and-answer session at the Lions’ 20th annual Courage House dinner tonight, Lions vice chairman Bill Ford called the Bears a “bunch of thugs” when asked about the electric atmosphere during the Lions’ 40-32 victory Sunday at Ford Field.

The win vaulted the Lions (3-1) into a first-place tie in the NFC North and knocked Chicago from the ranks of the unbeaten.

“It was really alive, and it was alive when we played those same bunch of thugs on Monday Night a couple (years ago),” Ford said. “When this place gets going it’s electric and we do have wonderful fans. Our fans are amazing and we would love to pay them back and bring home a winner, and I love the way this team is playing right now.”

Many in the audience laughed at the remark, and a Lions spokesperson called after the event to say Ford was “joking” with his thug comment.

Ford did not stay after the event, which honored the Lions’ 2013 Ed Block Award winner Nate Burleson, to answer questions from reporters.

But his remarks came two days after a heated game in which Jim Schwartz took offense at a late hit Jon Bostic made to the back of Kris Durham as Durham covered the game-clinching onside kick.

“We talk a lot about player safety and things like that and he’s laying prone on the ground, is giving himself up and takes a helmet right to the back and we don’t any call there,” Schwartz said after the game. “It’s a little hypocritical to talk about player safety when we allow that to not get called. But Kris toughed it out and he had to hold onto that ball and he did.”

Ford, in rare public comments, also predicted that the Lions will snap their 22-game road losing streak in Wisconsin this Sunday when they play the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field.

The Lions haven’t won in the state of Wisconsin since 1991.

“Green Bay’s special and Lambeau Field, there’s a special feeling going into Lambeau, always has been, and yet I hate going up there,” Ford said. “But when we win this week it’s going to make it feel a heck of a lot better.”

Ford did not make any predictions about the season during his comments, but he spoke highly of where the team is heading.

“First of all we have playmakers at almost every position and we haven’t always had that in the past,” Ford said. “And second is we’re getting great line play on both sides of the ball. And that’s not something we’ve always had in the past. In fact, we’ve had moments of greatness but I think this year it’s really built on an incredibly solid foundation and I think we also have real depth this year. I think Martin (Mayhew) and the team and Tom (Lewand) in the off-season just did a magnificent job both in free agency and in the draft because we’re an exciting team, we’re a strong team, we also have depth.”

Contact Dave Birkett: dbirkett@freepress.com . Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.

Beat writer Dave Birkett will answer your Lions questions in a live chat at 10 a.m. Friday at freep.com/sports. Submit early questions here. Then join sports writer Carlos Monarrez for a live blog of the Lions-Packers game Sunday. Enter here to win tickets to the Thanksgiving game. And play NFL Pick 'Em each week to win valuable cash and prizes.

http://www.freep.com/article/20131001/S ... ears-thugs
Stirring the pot there, eh Bill? ](*,) I'm guessing this will be on the Bears' bulletin board in a few weeks...

That said, I found this part interesting:
Quote:
“First of all we have playmakers at almost every position and we haven’t always had that in the past,” Ford said. “And second is we’re getting great line play on both sides of the ball. And that’s not something we’ve always had in the past. In fact, we’ve had moments of greatness but I think this year it’s really built on an incredibly solid foundation and I think we also have real depth this year. I think Martin (Mayhew) and the team and Tom (Lewand) in the off-season just did a magnificent job both in free agency and in the draft because we’re an exciting team, we’re a strong team, we also have depth.”
No mention of Schwartz or the coaching staff. Could this be a sign that Schwartz & Co are on the hot seat and/or perhaps a thinly-veiled sign to them that there are no excuses this year?

October 2nd, 2013, 12:00 pm
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Detroit Lions' Bill Ford: Chicago Bears a 'bunch of thug
I saw something that said Bill even said himself he was joking at the event and it was just conveniently ignored by the media, so I think this is a load nothing being fluffed up.

I think his comments about the front office are perfectly inline with the rumors from the end of last season and during the off-season. It was rumored many times that the Fords were getting tired of Schwartz and his lack of discipline while they felt Mayhew was doing an adequate job. With this years draft and FA signings doing so well for the team I think it really locks Mayhew in no matter how the season goes now.

October 2nd, 2013, 12:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Here we go again...

October 2nd, 2013, 3:15 pm
Modmin Dude

rao wrote:
I saw something that said Bill even said himself he was joking at the event and it was just conveniently ignored by the media, so I think this is a load nothing being fluffed up.
Oh, I know it was a joke and that several peeps said so, but that doesn't change the fact that it may not have been the best choice of words.
rao wrote:
I think his comments about the front office are perfectly inline with the rumors from the end of last season and during the off-season. It was rumored many times that the Fords were getting tired of Schwartz and his lack of discipline while they felt Mayhew was doing an adequate job. With this years draft and FA signings doing so well for the team I think it really locks Mayhew in no matter how the season goes now.
Agreed.

October 2nd, 2013, 4:28 pm

And with the Fords being notoriously faithful to their guys, Unless Mayhew had bungled this offseason i figured he would get at least 1 more shot to hire a new coach if Schwartz blew it this season. So Id agree now that's a lock regardless of the season.

October 2nd, 2013, 4:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Modmin Dude

Its starting already, this is from ESPN's Bears reporter:
ESPN wrote:
Jennings: Bears 'far from' being thugs
October, 2, 2013
By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

Chicago Bears cornerback Tim Jennings didn’t agree with the assertion -- purportedly made in jest -- that his team is a “bunch of thugs”.

Speaking at a charity dinner honoring Detroit receiver Nate Burleson, Lions vice president Bill Ford Jr. referred to the Bears as “thugs,” before a team spokesman later called to inform the media that Ford was joking about those remarks.

“I heard,” Jennings said when asked about Ford’s comments. “What was he watching? I don’t know. Calling us bullies? I don’t think anyone in this world would probably agree with that. We’re far from it. I wish we were.”

Ford made his insulting remark about the Bears when describing the atmosphere during Sunday’s game, in which the Lions prevailed 40-32 after taking a 30-13 halftime lead.

“It was really alive, and it was alive when we played those same bunch of thugs on Monday night, you know, last year,” Ford said, referring to his team’s matchup with the Bears in 2011 on “Monday Night Football”. “When this place gets going, it’s electric. We do have wonderful fans; our fans are amazing.”

Jennings said the rivalry “is intense” for Ford to call the Bears thugs. But instead of expressing anger about the situation, Jennings preferred to wear the thug moniker with pride.

“I guess we could take it as a good thing,” Jennings said. Now we finally…we’re tougher than we thought we were. People are realizing that. So he wants to call us thugs. We can take that as a compliment, I guess. We like to think we’re playing nasty. But we play within the rules, you know? I don’t know whether he’s just meaning we’re dirty or we’re just a nasty defense. We weren’t too nasty when we played them. So I don’t know what he’s trying to get out of it.”

Chicago faces the Lions again on Nov. 10 at Soldier Field.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/p ... eing-thugs

October 2nd, 2013, 4:44 pm

i dont see the big deal about the comments. people say that about us all the time.

October 2nd, 2013, 5:03 pm
RIP Killer

In the immortal words of.....me

FU(K 'EM IF THEY CAN'T TAKE A JOKE!

October 2nd, 2013, 5:48 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

No, no rivalry here. Chicago and Detroit? We're like Jenny and Forrest.

October 2nd, 2013, 8:21 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

And I think it was made pretty clear that we were locked into Mayhew when he picked Ansah. That was a really risky pick. One that, so far, seems like a brilliant move. But if you're on the hot seat and you have to nail every pick and your job is on the line, you just can't take Ansah because of his lack of football experience. He could've gone with any other safe pick, but Ansah was risky for a first rounder. That's not a pick that says, "If I don't nail this, I'm fired."
Plus the hiring of Xanders. If that's going to take two years to reap the reward and there's a chance that Mayhew might not be here, you don't give him the opportunity to bring him in uless he's going to be Mayhew's replacement. And well, Mayhew is looking pretty smart right now.
If you look at the guy's overall body of work, he's made some shrewd, smart moves. He just needs draft help. Hopefully he's got it now.

October 2nd, 2013, 8:27 pm
NFL Veteran

HechePipe wrote:
And I think it was made pretty clear that we were locked into Mayhew when he picked Ansah. That was a really risky pick. One that, so far, seems like a brilliant move. But if you're on the hot seat and you have to nail every pick and your job is on the line, you just can't take Ansah because of his lack of football experience. He could've gone with any other safe pick, but Ansah was risky for a first rounder. That's not a pick that says, "If I don't nail this, I'm fired."
Plus the hiring of Xanders. If that's going to take two years to reap the reward and there's a chance that Mayhew might not be here, you don't give him the opportunity to bring him in uless he's going to be Mayhew's replacement. And well, Mayhew is looking pretty smart right now.
If you look at the guy's overall body of work, he's made some shrewd, smart moves. He just needs draft help. Hopefully he's got it now.

Ansah was clearly a coaching staff pick, so I don't see Mayhew having any real skin in it. There really wasn't any safe picks where the Lions drafted other than a guard, but taking a guard at number 5 also looks like wasted value. I doubt Mayhew could really have made a choice at 5 that would have made them want to fire him, it was kind of a garbage top 10 outside of the tackles.

The Xander's hiring I agree made it seem less likely he was on the hot seat and there was plenty of rumors saying the Fords were unhappy with Schwartz without really mentioning Mayhew.

October 2nd, 2013, 9:03 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:

Ansah was clearly a coaching staff pick, so I don't see Mayhew having any real skin in it. There really wasn't any safe picks where the Lions drafted other than a guard, but taking a guard at number 5 also looks like wasted value. I doubt Mayhew could really have made a choice at 5 that would have made them want to fire him, it was kind of a garbage top 10 outside of the tackles.

The Xander's hiring I agree made it seem less likely he was on the hot seat and there was plenty of rumors saying the Fords were unhappy with Schwartz without really mentioning Mayhew.

I clearly understand who wanted that pick. But in the end, it's Mayhew's call. Furthermore, if Schwartz and co. were in any sort of trouble, why would Mayhew let Schwartz make that call? It's a player the Lions will be stuck with for the next 3 or more years. If this is potentially Schwartz's last year and you're not fond of the job he's doing up until this point, I don't think you'd let him take his guy in the first round. That's a risky pick, no matter what coach is in your ear telling you to take him. If anything, maybe it indicates that Schwartz is guaranteed another year to sort it out and so is Mayhew.
But if you're thinking of hiring a new head coach, I think you'd take your own guy in the draft and tell Schwartz to deal with it. At that point, you have to start thinking about what that pick is going to contribute 2-3 years down the road with or without Schwartz, not just as a Schwartz's rookie pick.
I believe we're stuck with both of them. If only Schwartz could maybe find a new OC...
I like what Cunningham is doing. I didn't start out as a fan, but it's really hard to argue with his results. If you're beating the Lions this year, chances are, you're beating them through the air. That wide-9 is working well against the run. Few teams have a passing game that can singlehandedly win games. Those run-first offensive teams are starting to look like W's more and more.

October 3rd, 2013, 1:39 am
NFL Veteran

HechePipe wrote:
rao wrote:
HechePipe wrote:

I clearly understand who wanted that pick. But in the end, it's Mayhew's call. Furthermore, if Schwartz and co. were in any sort of trouble, why would Mayhew let Schwartz make that call? It's a player the Lions will be stuck with for the next 3 or more years. If this is potentially Schwartz's last year and you're not fond of the job he's doing up until this point, I don't think you'd let him take his guy in the first round. That's a risky pick, no matter what coach is in your ear telling you to take him. If anything, maybe it indicates that Schwartz is guaranteed another year to sort it out and so is Mayhew.
But if you're thinking of hiring a new head coach, I think you'd take your own guy in the draft and tell Schwartz to deal with it. At that point, you have to start thinking about what that pick is going to contribute 2-3 years down the road with or without Schwartz, not just as a Schwartz's rookie pick.
I believe we're stuck with both of them. If only Schwartz could maybe find a new OC...
I like what Cunningham is doing. I didn't start out as a fan, but it's really hard to argue with his results. If you're beating the Lions this year, chances are, you're beating them through the air. That wide-9 is working well against the run. Few teams have a passing game that can singlehandedly win games. Those run-first offensive teams are starting to look like W's more and more.

You let Schwartz make the call because it's his job on the line and you don't have any good options at the pick. We would never know who fought for what pick, but the Fords know. He gave Schwartz the rope to either hang himself or pull himself out of the hole. If the Ansah pick fails Mayhew just has to show that it's the coaching staff that failed given that Ansah is the player they wanted and at a position this staff is supposed to excel at getting production. They even brought in Washburn to work with the Dline. IMO the Ansah pick was the safest pick Mayhew could have made if he was trying to just save himself from the unemployment line.

October 3rd, 2013, 9:24 am
3rd Round Selection

TheRealWags wrote:
ESPN wrote:
October, 2, 2013

Chicago Bears cornerback Tim Jennings didn’t agree with the assertion -- purportedly made in jest -- that his team is a “bunch of thugs”.

Speaking at a charity dinner honoring Detroit receiver Nate Burleson, Lions vice president Bill Ford Jr. referred to the Bears as “thugs,” before a team spokesman later called to inform the media that Ford was joking about those remarks.

“I heard,” Jennings said when asked about Ford’s comments. “What was he watching? I don’t know. Calling us bullies? I don’t think anyone in this world would probably agree with that. We’re far from it. I wish we were.”

Ford made his insulting remark about the Bears when describing the atmosphere during Sunday’s game, in which the Lions prevailed 40-32 after taking a 30-13 halftime lead.

“It was really alive, and it was alive when we played those same bunch of thugs on Monday night, you know, last year,” Ford said, referring to his team’s matchup with the Bears in 2011 on “Monday Night Football”. “When this place gets going, it’s electric. We do have wonderful fans; our fans are amazing.”

Jennings said the rivalry “is intense” for Ford to call the Bears thugs. But instead of expressing anger about the situation, Jennings preferred to wear the thug moniker with pride.

“I guess we could take it as a good thing,” Jennings said. Now we finally…we’re tougher than we thought we were. People are realizing that. So he wants to call us thugs. We can take that as a compliment, I guess. We like to think we’re playing nasty. But we play within the rules, you know? I don’t know whether he’s just meaning we’re dirty or we’re just a nasty defense. We weren’t too nasty when we played them. So I don’t know what he’s trying to get out of it.”

It's unbelievable how biased ESPN's NFC North blog has become.

Part of the success of charity dinners is you get a speaker who comes along and relaxes a little; cuts loose. It's not just the normal corporate yak. If reporters start turning that stuff into stories, it's only really fans and charity dinners that will suffer.

"Shall we take a table at charity dinner X, for $X a head - we get to hear the same anodyne stuff we've all heard in press releases before!"

"No thanks, I'll pass"

Pathetic.

October 3rd, 2013, 9:35 am
Modmin Dude

UK Lion wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
ESPN wrote:
October, 2, 2013

It's unbelievable how biased ESPN's NFC North blog has become.

Part of the success of charity dinners is you get a speaker who comes along and relaxes a little; cuts loose. It's not just the normal corporate yak. If reporters start turning that stuff into stories, it's only really fans and charity dinners that will suffer.

"Shall we take a table at charity dinner X, for $X a head - we get to hear the same anodyne stuff we've all heard in press releases before!"

"No thanks, I'll pass"

Pathetic.
As a point of clarity, ESPN no longer has divisional blogs, each team has their own. Which is why I stated the post was from their Bear's reporter.

October 3rd, 2013, 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next