View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 1:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Congrats Tigers 
RIP Killer

Post Congrats Tigers
on clinching your third straight playoff season for the first time since 07'-09' (that's 1907-1909).

Now let's wrap up the division tonight.

Go Tigers!

September 25th, 2013, 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Congrats Tigers
Division is a wrap. I am happy for the Playoffs. But, I have got to say, this Tigers team is such an under achiever. There is no excuse for not getting over 100 wins other than over confidence leading to allowing more than a few games get away from them.

This team has to have set an all time record for loading the bases with 1 out or less and walking away without scoring a single run. Just hit a stinking pop up to mid range center field and it scores a run for crying out loud.

Just because we have a bunch of power hitters, doesn't mean we can't force some action by stealing bases. Jackson/Iglacious/Hunter all 3 of them can steal bases with the best of them. But, Leyland prefers to play for the HR that fails to come far more often then it arrives. If we would be stealing bases frequently, I bet we would have scored about 50 more runs this year. Which would have likely turned a few losses into wins.

This team has to have set a record for losing the most 1-0, 2-1 games in a single season. See the above paragraph as to how that could have been avoided.

I love the Tigers. But, Leyland manages them to completely ignore too many basic fundamentals of baseball and it has cost the team too many wins. It will show up in the playoffs. I don't believe we will ever win a world series with Leyland as our manager.

September 26th, 2013, 10:30 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

BillySims wrote:
Division is a wrap. I am happy for the Playoffs. But, I have got to say, this Tigers team is such an under achiever. There is no excuse for not getting over 100 wins other than over confidence leading to allowing more than a few games get away from them.

This team has to have set an all time record for loading the bases with 1 out or less and walking away without scoring a single run. Just hit a stinking pop up to mid range center field and it scores a run for crying out loud.

Just because we have a bunch of power hitters, doesn't mean we can't force some action by stealing bases. Jackson/Iglacious/Hunter all 3 of them can steal bases with the best of them. But, Leyland prefers to play for the HR that fails to come far more often then it arrives. If we would be stealing bases frequently, I bet we would have scored about 50 more runs this year. Which would have likely turned a few losses into wins.

This team has to have set a record for losing the most 1-0, 2-1 games in a single season. See the above paragraph as to how that could have been avoided.

I love the Tigers. But, Leyland manages them to completely ignore too many basic fundamentals of baseball and it has cost the team too many wins. It will show up in the playoffs. I don't believe we will ever win a world series with Leyland as our manager.

leyland is an excellent manager and he s won a world series before so your comments mean little. its not easy to win a world series but he s gotten us into the postseason consistently. now the job is to win it. your comments regarding stealing bases have little merit. tori hunter is 38 years old and was never a big base stealer, and the 90 runs he scored this year are the 2nd highest of his career. Austin Jackson can steal an occassional base or two when healthy but he was banged up much of the year and missed over 30 games but still scored 99 runs. do you really want to run these guys into outs when the big bashers cabrera, fielder and martinez are coming up next and had 330 RBI on the season. The Tigers are an older team that dont have a lot of speed and have big bashers in the middle of the lineup. Leyland plays it to the strengths of the way the team was designed and he s not going to have guys do things they werent brought here to do. he does mix in hit and runs with reliable players, use a squeeze play or sacrifice when needed but he s not going to take guys off the bases for his big bats. thats as simple as a fundamental as there is and as exciting as a stolen base is, its value is limited. 50 more runs is a huge stretch of the imagination. the tigers did finish 2nd in MLB in runs scored the way they were. thats plenty good enough. besides, what are you complaining about exactly - the tigers won the division and are poised for another playoff run. the starting pitching staff is healthy and leyland was able to configure a formidable trio of back end relievers from a bullpen that was in shambles at the beginning of the season. how the season ends has had little to do with how the tigers have performed in the playoffs in past seasons. anyway back off from the ledge and enjoy the playoffs. the real season is just beginning.

September 30th, 2013, 9:25 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:

leyland is an excellent manager and he s won a world series before so your comments mean little. its not easy to win a world series but he s gotten us into the postseason consistently. now the job is to win it. your comments regarding stealing bases have little merit. tori hunter is 38 years old and was never a big base stealer, and the 90 runs he scored this year are the 2nd highest of his career. Austin Jackson can steal an occassional base or two when healthy but he was banged up much of the year and missed over 30 games but still scored 99 runs. do you really want to run these guys into outs when the big bashers cabrera, fielder and martinez are coming up next and had 330 RBI on the season. The Tigers are an older team that dont have a lot of speed and have big bashers in the middle of the lineup. Leyland plays it to the strengths of the way the team was designed and he s not going to have guys do things they werent brought here to do. he does mix in hit and runs with reliable players, use a squeeze play or sacrifice when needed but he s not going to take guys off the bases for his big bats. thats as simple as a fundamental as there is and as exciting as a stolen base is, its value is limited. 50 more runs is a huge stretch of the imagination. the tigers did finish 2nd in MLB in runs scored the way they were. thats plenty good enough. besides, what are you complaining about exactly - the tigers won the division and are poised for another playoff run. the starting pitching staff is healthy and leyland was able to configure a formidable trio of back end relievers from a bullpen that was in shambles at the beginning of the season. how the season ends has had little to do with how the tigers have performed in the playoffs in past seasons. anyway back off from the ledge and enjoy the playoffs. the real season is just beginning.

Did you see the 4 game sweep the Oakland As handed us about a month ago? That was at CoPa. Guess who we get in the 1st round? Only they have home field.

And your all wet about Jackson and Hunters base stealing abilities. Jackson has 40+ steal ability and Hunter can still steal 10 or 15.

Also: just because Leand was lucky once, does not mean he will be lucky again. Leyland, lost the WS for us last year. Game 1 set the tone for the whole series when retard er I mean leyland decided to keep pitching to the guy that hit 3HR. 1 OK, you got us. 2 that should have been the last ball he got a chance to hit.

But not old smokie. Pitch to him again. In the words of Bugs Bunny, " WHAM, A HOMER!!!"

And with that, the WS was over. I knew. And everyone knew it. Even though we a still wanted to believe.

Well, I think we won't make it past the 1st round this year.

October 1st, 2013, 7:44 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Leyland was far from lucky in winning his first World Series. The man is a shoo-in for the HOF when he decides to retire. Leyland plays to the Tigers strengths and the players have the utmost respect for him. Three straight division titles is not easy, regardless of the talent in the division. As for Oakland, you also do realize we beat them for 2 out of 3 in Oakland earlier in the year. Pitching wins in the playoffs and Detroit has the best 4 starters as well as the best 3-4-5 hitters. I say we are in pretty good shape other than not having home field advantage.

Sit back and enjoy the ride my friend.

Tim

October 1st, 2013, 11:26 am
Hall of Fame Player

TADOne wrote:
Leyland was far from lucky in winning his first World Series. The man is a shoo-in for the HOF when he decides to retire. Leyland plays to the Tigers strengths and the players have the utmost respect for him. Three straight division titles is not easy, regardless of the talent in the division. As for Oakland, you also do realize we beat them for 2 out of 3 in Oakland earlier in the year. Pitching wins in the playoffs and Detroit has the best 4 starters as well as the best 3-4-5 hitters. I say we are in pretty good shape other than not having home field advantage.

Sit back and enjoy the ride my friend.

Yep, the same SP that was 0-4in last years WS. And remind me again, how many times did the Tigers lose just this year by a score of 1-0? The Tigers are the only team I know that could get a perfect game from it's SP and lose the game because no-one could hit a HR.

October 2nd, 2013, 10:23 am

Quote:
Did you see the 4 game sweep the Oakland As handed us about a month ago? That was at CoPa. Guess who we get in the 1st round? Only they have home field.

are you talking about the 4 game sweep where the Tigers won the 4th game on a big HR by Torii Hunter. Yeah thats not a sweep, one of the teams has to win all the games to make it a sweep. Not to mention that one of the games the Tigers lost was shortened to 6 innings and the Tigers did take 2/3 in Oakland this year.

Quote:
And your all wet about Jackson and Hunters base stealing abilities. Jackson has 40+ steal ability and Hunter can still steal 10 or 15.

So you are disregarding the fact that Jackson was battlng hamstring injuries all season that affected his speed? Or that Jackson was 12-21 in SB opportunities in 2012? He s not a great basestealer, sure he could take 40 bases but is it worth it if he to get thrown out 25 -30 times do it when Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder or VMart would knock him in anyway and when it may put Jackson back on the DL? Hunter hasnt stolen that many bases since 2009 and he s barely over .500 stealing the bast few years 26/48. oh yeah who was that, thrown out when he tried to take 2B on his own...good call

Quote:
Also: just because Leand was lucky once, does not mean he will be lucky again. Leyland, lost the WS for us last year. Game 1 set the tone for the whole series when retard er I mean leyland decided to keep pitching to the guy that hit 3HR. 1 OK, you got us. 2 that should have been the last ball he got a chance to hit.

But not old smokie. Pitch to him again. In the words of Bugs Bunny, " WHAM, A HOMER!!!"

And with that, the WS was over. I knew. And everyone knew it. Even though we a still wanted to believe.

Verlander gave up 5 runs in that game including 2 of the home runs. Would you have had Verlander not pitch to Sandoval in the 2nd at bat? Who cares about the 3rd one bc the Tigers never even scored the 5 runs that Verlander gave up in the first place. The Tigers didnt play all that well as a team, if you want to blame that on the manager than fine. But to say that having Justin Verlander pitch to Sandoval was "retarded" and the reason the Tigers lost 3 more games after that is pretty baseless.

back to the basics billy, are you still angry about having max scherzer instead of edwin jackson? still dont understand that trade?

October 5th, 2013, 9:12 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

are you talking about the 4 game sweep where the Tigers won the 4th game on a big HR by Torii Hunter. Yeah thats not a sweep, one of the teams has to win all the games to make it a sweep. Not to mention that one of the games the Tigers lost was shortened to 6 innings and the Tigers did take 2/3 in Oakland this year.

Yeah, I forgot we had a last at bat heroic win. But, up to that point, we were getting our butts handed to us. I guess 1 out of 4 is good enough for you.

Quote:

So you are disregarding the fact that Jackson was battlng hamstring injuries all season that affected his speed? Or that Jackson was 12-21 in SB opportunities in 2012? He s not a great basestealer, sure he could take 40 bases but is it worth it if he to get thrown out 25 -30 times do it when Hunter, Cabrera, Fielder or VMart would knock him in anyway and when it may put Jackson back on the DL? Hunter hasnt stolen that many bases since 2009 and he s barely over .500 stealing the bast few years 26/48. oh yeah who was that, thrown out when he tried to take 2B on his own...good call

You conveniently omit that Jackson stole 49 bases and was caught only 11 times in 2010 and 2011 combined. And Hunter thought he caught the A's napping between batters. It was an aggressive move. You never know. The A's might have been napping and the throw to second could have gone past 2nd base into CF. Unfortunately, it didn't work this time. I will never knock anyone for trying to be aggressive in a game. Simple fact is that good to great base stealers come to Detroit to be told by Leyland that we hit home runs here son. We don't steal bases. And oh yeah. I think it's safe to say that Hunter would have been left standing on 1st base anyway since Fielder was the 1st out the next inning.

Quote:

Verlander gave up 5 runs in that game including 2 of the home runs. Would you have had Verlander not pitch to Sandoval in the 2nd at bat? Who cares about the 3rd one bc the Tigers never even scored the 5 runs that Verlander gave up in the first place. The Tigers didnt play all that well as a team, if you want to blame that on the manager than fine. But to say that having Justin Verlander pitch to Sandoval was "retarded" and the reason the Tigers lost 3 more games after that is pretty baseless.

back to the basics billy, are you still angry about having max scherzer instead of edwin jackson? still dont understand that trade?

If you aren't intellectually honest enough to admit that that 3 HR game set the tone for last years WS, then there is really no sense in continuing this discussion. conversation over!

October 5th, 2013, 9:53 am

so would you have Leyland tell Verlander not to pitch to anyone who has homered off him earlier in a game? thats what you tell your all star, cy young, mvp pitcher to do? you cannot seriously think any MLB manager would do that.

yes verlander losing last season was demoralizing but somehow all the blame on that goes to leyland? verlander pitched bad so you blame leyland for the bats going cold? seriously man your comments never make sense. the mere fact of one man hitting 3 home runs particularly with the 3rd one coming with the game out of hand is not exactly the reason they lost the WS. They had about a week off, big boss Verlander who carried them flopped, and there bats went cold very cold. what 6 runs in 4 games?

how is 2010 and 2011 relevant when discussing AJax basestealing??? He s had leg injuries THIS SEASON! Guess who his manager was when he was healthy and running more? JIM LEYLAND!!!!

October 5th, 2013, 11:22 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
so would you have Leyland tell Verlander not to pitch to anyone who has homered off him earlier in a game? thats what you tell your all star, cy young, mvp pitcher to do? you cannot seriously think any MLB manager would do that.

yes verlander losing last season was demoralizing but somehow all the blame on that goes to leyland? verlander pitched bad so you blame leyland for the bats going cold? seriously man your comments never make sense. the mere fact of one man hitting 3 home runs particularly with the 3rd one coming with the game out of hand is not exactly the reason they lost the WS. They had about a week off, big boss Verlander who carried them flopped, and there bats went cold very cold. what 6 runs in 4 games?

how is 2010 and 2011 relevant when discussing AJax basestealing??? He s had leg injuries THIS SEASON! Guess who his manager was when he was healthy and running more? JIM LEYLAND!!!!

1 HR, OK. 2 HR's, that's the last hitable pitch you see for that game. It is the managers call to intentionally walk a batter. And yes, after giving up 2 HR's to any hitter, I don't give a crap if the hitter is Brandon Inge, he should be intentionally walked. But, not old smokie. Let's pitch to him again. And just how the hell do you think that game got out of hand? 1 guy smacked 3 stinking home runs. Frankly, you are the one that isn't making sense. And yes, it set the tone. After the 3rd HR, our hitters clearly gave up on Game 1. It was over at that moment.

October 5th, 2013, 11:36 pm

Nobody on, one out and losing 5-0 in the 5th inning. You would intentionally walk Sandova with buster posey and hunter pence coming up nextl? sure you would....

October 6th, 2013, 9:04 am
Hall of Fame Player

The Legend wrote:
Nobody on, one out and losing 5-0 in the 5th inning. You would intentionally walk Sandova with buster posey and hunter pence coming up nextl? sure you would....

YES I would. After he took us deep twice before. You bet your dairy air I would.

By the way, yet another 1-0 loss is in the books. Guess playing for the HR didn't work. AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Leyland has no idea how to play small ball.

October 6th, 2013, 9:48 am
Heisman Winner

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

YES I would. After he took us deep twice before. You bet your dairy air I would.

By the way, yet another 1-0 loss is in the books. Guess playing for the HR didn't work. AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Leyland has no idea how to play small ball.

Small ball, are you kidding me, small ball. fudge SMALL BALL, it's boring as poop and rarely works. Leyland plays the team that was built for him and he does a great job doing it. No one, and I mean no one will make 100% of the decision correct so why do you expect it? We are lucky to have such a quality manager in the Tigers uniform. If I can pick between having you as a fan or Leyland as a manager I'd tell you don't like the door hit you in the rectum. For crying out loud, 2 WS appearances, 3 time division champs and you want to bitch.

October 6th, 2013, 1:46 pm
Hall of Fame Player

aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Small ball, are you kidding me, small ball. fudge SMALL BALL, it's boring as poop and rarely works. Leyland plays the team that was built for him and he does a great job doing it. No one, and I mean no one will make 100% of the decision correct so why do you expect it? We are lucky to have such a quality manager in the Tigers uniform. If I can pick between having you as a fan or Leyland as a manager I'd tell you don't like the door hit you in the rectum. For crying out loud, 2 WS appearances, 3 time division champs and you want to bitch.

AND ZERO RINGS.

October 6th, 2013, 4:20 pm
Heisman Winner

BillySims wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

AND ZERO RINGS.

I would just suggest you stop because you are coming off foolish.

October 7th, 2013, 9:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next