View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 24th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Next Up: Green Bay Packers 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Next Up: Green Bay Packers
I get a weekly email from the Lions called Week in Review. The following is the last story from my latest email. Apparently, the whole team is sick of hearing about the 22 game losing streak in GBay. I think that's a good thing.

Quote:
IT CAN BE DONE

Lions players and coaches are tired of being reminded about the 22-game losing streak on the road to the Packers. But hey, it is what it is.

They're so sick of it, in fact, Linehan wanted the media to be sure they knew that it was possible to win in Green Bay.

"When I was in Minnesota, we went on the road and played there in the first round of the playoffs and won, so it can be done," he said with a smile. "It’s a tough place but it’s a great place to play football though. The tradition and all that stuff, our players are really looking forward to it."

October 5th, 2013, 12:05 pm
QB Coach

This is totally wishful thinking on my part, but I kind of think (hope) the players are using all the talk of the streak as motivation. Plus, I saw this on ESPN's site today, so hopefully this is just a bit of extra fuel:

Not a single one of ESPN's NFL "experts" picked the Lions to win. I'm admittedly biased, but that seems nuts. Hopefully the Lions prove them wrong.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 5th, 2013, 1:46 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Allen was the only one to pick the Bills and that didn't motivate them. These teams are pretty evenly but the Packers have a better QB when it comes to picking teams apart, but Stafford might be the better big play QB especially with Calvin and Reggie. It's gonna come down to execution and whether or not the Lions can contain both rookie RBs so they don't become victim to the play action pass.

October 5th, 2013, 2:38 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
HechePipe wrote:
I honestly think the Lions are about 6 good players away from being a team that can win consistently.
Two cornerbacks, one linebacker, one center, and two wide receivers. That is, as long as players keep playing the way they have these first four games.

Do you realize that being 6 players away is not being close. I don't think they're that far off. I'll take your list one at a time:

- 2 CB: Houston has played well, and they just drafted Slay, who shows promise. For now they don't need to focus on finding more CBs. They need to focus on getting the ones they have up to speed.
- LB: I agree they could use a good LB.
- Center: Long term, yes. This year Dom has played quite well.
- 2 WR: why do they need 2 more good WR? They really only need a good WR2. They already have a good slot guy in Broyles, and Burleson is also a good slot guy for the next year or so.

Honestly, if players play up to their abilities, they can win consistently now. Long term, yes they need at least a good C and a good WR. Other than that, they may be ok with the current roster.

TDJ, I completely agree. I don't know why, but Chris Houston gets little love here, and all he does is keep the oppositions leading receiver in check. He may not be Patrick Peterson or Darrelle Revis, but you don't see him getting beat deep all too often. And that happens even to the best cover guys from time to time.

So, I agree that Slay is an 'up and comer', but we thought the same of Bentley and Green last year. I think they have reached their highest potential, and that's not worth a starting role. Slay could still get there, but we won't know that until sometime next season.

Linebackers? I'd say we need two. We need an immediate starter on the outside to replace Palmer, who has been dreadful. Levy has played well. Long term we may need a Mike to eventually take over for Tulloch. I don't think Travis Lewis is that guy. I think he's better suited for playing outside or being the nickel backer. All others haven't impressed.

Center? I'd love to see us get a really good center in the next draft. For now, as you said, Dom may be having his finest season.

Two receivers? No. A good compliment to Calvin is defintely needed. Someone about 6'2" and around 210 pounds with the speed to threaten deep, but the ability to get open through their wits or speed out of their breaks. It seems like our receivers just struggle week in and week out to get ample separation. Broyles, Burleson and Edwards are slot receivers. Durham doesn't have the speed or athletic skills to create ample separation. And I don't believe Ogletree is the answer to my prayer, although he is probably a step up from Durham.

We will also need another tight end next year (or two) as I am desperately hoping the Lions don't resign Pettigrew. We also don't truly know what we have in Michael Williams. Lastly, I don't see the Lions keeping Scheffler either for the future, since Fauria is a younger, faster, cheaper version of him.

Bentley has only played in 8 games so its more than a little ridiculous to say he s reached his maximum potential. Him and Slay seem to have the physical tools to cover guys and will have to learn on the job. LB is a position where the depth guys dont seem to have a lot of potential. Maybe Whitehead does but he hasnt made much progress learning the position. Ashlee Palmer has not been dreadful, he hasnt played a lot but when he has he s been fine. Tulloch has not showed signs of slowing down and has 3 more years on his contract. Levy just signed a new deal. They need depth guys and sure I d take an upgrade at OLB but I dont think they need to get 2 new starters.

Center, maybe they need one depending on how long Raiola wants to play but if he plays at his reduced salary he s a major bargain. It d be good to have a depth guy there that could develop. Maybe they like Rodney Austin, I dont know but he is running out of PS eligibility.

WR, yes they clearly need a competent outside guy or a stretch the field TE. Fauria isnt faster than Scheffler, not even close but I agree Scheffler looks like he s done.

October 5th, 2013, 11:14 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
Bentley has only played in 8 games so its more than a little ridiculous to say he s reached his maximum potential. Him and Slay seem to have the physical tools to cover guys and will have to learn on the job. LB is a position where the depth guys dont seem to have a lot of potential. Maybe Whitehead does but he hasnt made much progress learning the position. Ashlee Palmer has not been dreadful, he hasnt played a lot but when he has he s been fine. Tulloch has not showed signs of slowing down and has 3 more years on his contract. Levy just signed a new deal. They need depth guys and sure I d take an upgrade at OLB but I dont think they need to get 2 new starters.

Center, maybe they need one depending on how long Raiola wants to play but if he plays at his reduced salary he s a major bargain. It d be good to have a depth guy there that could develop. Maybe they like Rodney Austin, I dont know but he is running out of PS eligibility.

WR, yes they clearly need a competent outside guy or a stretch the field TE. Fauria isnt faster than Scheffler, not even close but I agree Scheffler looks like he s done.

You have your opinion on Bentley, I have mine. I don't see ANY improvement on his technique or abilities since last season. Regardless of how many games they play, players who succeed in the NFL will typically show some levels of improvement from season to season. Bentley is worse this year than he was last year. He commits more penalties, has worse coverage and generally has taken something of a backslide. That's my opinion.

Palmer hasn't played that well. I see him out of position more often than not. He comes off the field in passing situations, and to me that is an indication of just how bad he is. The only reason he starts on this team is because the Lions made a poor personnel decision in allowing Durant to leave. Palmer couldn't hold his jock as a linebacker. Tulloch is not the playmaker in the middle he was in Tennessee. He can still tackle, and stuffs the hole IF he can shed the blocker. In coverage, he's been better this season than last season, where he showed himself to be a huge liability. But he's still basically just a run stuffer there.

As for the center position, Raiola has played better this season, but that doesn't mean he's playing at a high level compared to other centers around the league. I don't care what he's getting paid, I am talking strictly ability. At his reduced rate, he is something of a bargain. That is, as long as he can maintain his level of play. Today, he was often overpowered and not much of a factor in providing lanes in the running game.

Scheffler doesn't have the speed he used to. Fauria MAY not be faster, but I would say it's very close. And Fauria is a better blocker than Scheffler and has shown me more consistent hands. All that said, it may be irrelevant. Pettigrew may have finally realized he's in a contract year, because he seems to be playing better. Somehow, I think the Lions will make re-signing him a priority in the off-season if he continues to play like he has the past couple games.

These are all my simple opinions. I could be wrong, as I have been in the past. But I've also been right at times in the past as well. Only time will tell.

October 6th, 2013, 10:57 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

You have your opinion on Bentley, I have mine. I don't see ANY improvement on his technique or abilities since last season. Regardless of how many games they play, players who succeed in the NFL will typically show some levels of improvement from season to season. Bentley is worse this year than he was last year. He commits more penalties, has worse coverage and generally has taken something of a backslide. That's my opinion.

Palmer hasn't played that well. I see him out of position more often than not. He comes off the field in passing situations, and to me that is an indication of just how bad he is. The only reason he starts on this team is because the Lions made a poor personnel decision in allowing Durant to leave. Palmer couldn't hold his jock as a linebacker. Tulloch is not the playmaker in the middle he was in Tennessee. He can still tackle, and stuffs the hole IF he can shed the blocker. In coverage, he's been better this season than last season, where he showed himself to be a huge liability. But he's still basically just a run stuffer there.

As for the center position, Raiola has played better this season, but that doesn't mean he's playing at a high level compared to other centers around the league. I don't care what he's getting paid, I am talking strictly ability. At his reduced rate, he is something of a bargain. That is, as long as he can maintain his level of play. Today, he was often overpowered and not much of a factor in providing lanes in the running game.

Scheffler doesn't have the speed he used to. Fauria MAY not be faster, but I would say it's very close. And Fauria is a better blocker than Scheffler and has shown me more consistent hands. All that said, it may be irrelevant. Pettigrew may have finally realized he's in a contract year, because he seems to be playing better. Somehow, I think the Lions will make re-signing him a priority in the off-season if he continues to play like he has the past couple games.

These are all my simple opinions. I could be wrong, as I have been in the past. But I've also been right at times in the past as well. Only time will tell.

im not happy with bentley's play but take for example andre goodman. he was awful awful awful for the lions then pieced together a few games towards the end and got a decent deal in FA from Denver and ended up with a pretty good career there. IMO Bentley is playing better than he did a year ago, he does have two big plays clearly in focus like the PI vs Arizona and the 4th down hold vs GB but he s played a ton (more than your punching bag Ashlee Palmer) and I feel he did a decent job overall vs GB against some pretty good wideouts.

scheffler appears to be done and the coaching staff doesnt have much condifence in him. still fauria has no speed and doesnt look like an athlete. he has size and hands and gives a good effort as a blocker despite not having a lot of power. overall it seems to be better than what scheffler has left in the tank.

October 7th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Bentley still has a lot to learn, and he only played 3 complete games and was injured in the 4th, so he's still basically a rookie. He's on the field and needs to improve, but it's tough to expect too much of an increase over last year when he played limited games. He also worked primarily outside last year, where this year is all inside.

Palmer is hard to see much of since we've played so much nickel in coverage. He's had some good plays and bad when he is on, but it's always tough to judge based on limited playing time. We could definitely use a playmaker here.

Raiola has played better, but he's still not giving us good enough push in the middle. The center is the anchor of the line and we've had a weak anchor for years. Definitely need to improve this.

Sheffler is a waste of a spot right now. He's in one of those slumps that you just don't recover from. Total lack of confidence in himself. Fauria is definitely a rougher version of him that just needs the experience to overtake him. Pettigrew just needs to show consistency. If he can stay consistent the rest of the season, I'd be ok with them resigning him to a reasonable deal, with incentive clauses that if he goes on a drop/fumble streak, cutting him won't hurt financially. The 3rd TE should be a blocking hybrid mold after Pettigrew, not Sheffler or Fauria. We can't keep a guy simply because he does something no one else does.

October 7th, 2013, 6:49 pm
NFL Veteran

Scheffler really does look like age has completely sapped him, but if people think Fauria can give them what Scheffler did in previous years they are going to be very disappointed. Scheffler was very athletic, fast, and basically an oversized WR. Fauria isn't those things, he won't be able to go out wide like Scheffler and his speed is pretty limited in comparison. If they can teach Fauria to block he would be a good replacement for Pett. IMO Scheffler's decline has made the lack of depth at WR even more obvious since they can't put a TE out wide like they did in seasons past.

October 7th, 2013, 7:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3