View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 9:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 2014 1st / 2nd round needs 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: 2014 1st / 2nd round needs
The Lions will need the same players that they normally do.

Mayhew's picks after rd 1 pretty much do not develop, so RT is still in the mix.

Fox hasn't yet played an entire game yet. So I think at this point, the Lions will need to look at RT prospects.

Somewhere WJB is saying 'I told you so' about the WR group. 79 draft picks, one guy who can play..

October 6th, 2013, 11:09 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
I think it's way too early for this thread given how the Lions are in 1st place and only 1/4 of the way through the season. So much is going to change by the end of the season. But, here goes.

1st round: DE. I think Willy Young is only back this year on a 2 year deal. Not sure about that though. But, we need to get a nice young bookend for Ansah. If we have Young for 3 years, I would say ORT.

2nd round: If we take a DE in the 1st, this pick needs to be an ORT. Fox can't stay healthy. And Hilliard, while being solid, ( MOST of the time ). But, he had rough game against the Cardinals.

3rd round: C/RG Dom is a FA after this season. I think Rob Sims is also, ( if not, he is nearing FA/old age).

I expect at least 2 comp picks in the 3rd round for Avril and Gosder. Maybe more than that if SLH has a good season.

So, with 3rd round comp pick #1: C/RG whichever 1 we didn't take previously.

3rd round comp pick #2: OLB No explanation needed.

The remainder of our draft, with the exception of our comp picks should be used for trading up for select players. Or we can trade them for future picks.

Until the value of the players who will be in the draft is better determined, I think saying the Lions should select a certain position in whatever round is fruitless.

I think the order of their needs at this point in the season, from most urgent is:

LB - The Lions have crap for backups, and Ashlee Palmer is only a starter because the Lions didn't bother to get anyone better in the off-season like they should have. A playmaker who can cover would be a tremendous addition to this defense.

OC - The Lions cannot wait to see if Raiola can continue playing well, and I don't think Gandy or Austin are the answers for this position. As I said before, the center is the second most important spot on the offensive line. It's been a few years since the Lions treated it that way during the draft.

WR - The game today showed just how important it is for the Lions to finally find a true #2 receiver. They need someone who can be a compliment to CJ when he's on the field, yet can serve as the top receiver if he's injured. The Lions have screwed the pooch in their last two attempts to find that guy (Titus and Broyles). Broyles is a fine slot receiver, but doesn't have the skills to be the true #2 guy. He should not have been selected in the second round. With his knee injury, he was a fourth round rated player for a reason.

After those three, I'd go CB, OT, and DT. Yes, DT, since the Lions lack youthful depth at that spot right now. I don't agree the Lions need to worry about getting a DE in the draft. Maybe a free agent, but right now I think the combination of Ansah, Young and Taylor could be pretty solid.

Oh, and the Lions have NO SHOT at getting two third round comps. Maybe a third and fourth, but certainly not two third rounders. Avril would need to have a monster season, and Gos would have to pretty much be a Pro Bowler for that to happen. Also, you have to remember that the Lions signed Glover Quin. IIRC, the secret formula for how the comp picks are determined is a combination of which of your players are signed against which players you sign. If that's the case, at least one of our two 'high profile' free agents that left is pretty much nullified.

October 6th, 2013, 11:23 pm
League MVP

Quote:
Until the value of the players who will be in the draft is better determined, I think saying the Lions should select a certain position in whatever round is fruitless.

I think the order of their needs at this point in the season, from most urgent is:

true but if i had to give priorities it would be WR-DE-CB

Quote:
LB - The Lions have crap for backups, and Ashlee Palmer is only a starter because the Lions didn't bother to get anyone better in the off-season like they should have. A playmaker who can cover would be a tremendous addition to this defense.

True especially the depth part but with the current system the Lions use, they are rarely needing more than 2 LBs and Levy/Tulloch are signed for a while and for good money. They just need a depth guy or two that can actually play defense not just special teams, heck if the coaching staff was worth anything they could develop a guy. I dont see an early round pick here unless there s a career threatening injury or a hybird type player that is in the mold of a young Julian Peterson that could really change the dynamic of the position.

Quote:
OC - The Lions cannot wait to see if Raiola can continue playing well, and I don't think Gandy or Austin are the answers for this position. As I said before, the center is the second most important spot on the offensive line. It's been a few years since the Lions treated it that way during the draft.

I dont think this is much of a need right now. Raiola hasnt had injury issues and he s playing at a bargain basement salary. If he s willing to play at that price for a couple more years its not much difft than drafting a guy and getting decent production on the first contract. Gandy is probably too old to be more than a stopgap starter but Austin is worth developing a lil bit longer before spending a high pick.

Quote:
WR - The game today showed just how important it is for the Lions to finally find a true #2 receiver. They need someone who can be a compliment to CJ when he's on the field, yet can serve as the top receiver if he's injured. The Lions have screwed the pooch in their last two attempts to find that guy (Titus and Broyles). Broyles is a fine slot receiver, but doesn't have the skills to be the true #2 guy. He should not have been selected in the second round. With his knee injury, he was a fourth round rated player for a reason.

i agree completely. broyles is in a tough position where the lions need him out there but he s not back to 100%, he s already been injured in the same situation a year ago there has to be some underlying fear with that. Even when Calvin is healthy the Lions need a No 2. Nate was barely getting it done bc Stafford was threading some tight windows despite no separation from Nate. These other guys like Durham, Edwards, etc dont have the same type of hands. This is a big priority not just in the draft but also free agency esp if they can get out from under Nate's contract.

Quote:
After those three, I'd go CB, OT, and DT. Yes, DT, since the Lions lack youthful depth at that spot right now. I don't agree the Lions need to worry about getting a DE in the draft. Maybe a free agent, but right now I think the combination of Ansah, Young and Taylor could be pretty solid.

DT is not a bad thought considering the depth and Fairley always being at least dinged up. I dont think Young or Taylor are legit starters, and bc Ansah is still raw they need a legit starter on the other side. Jason Jones if he makes it back could be the DT if they can grab another DE.

Quote:
Oh, and the Lions have NO SHOT at getting two third round comps. Maybe a third and fourth, but certainly not two third rounders. Avril would need to have a monster season, and Gos would have to pretty much be a Pro Bowler for that to happen. Also, you have to remember that the Lions signed Glover Quin. IIRC, the secret formula for how the comp picks are determined is a combination of which of your players are signed against which players you sign. If that's the case, at least one of our two 'high profile' free agents that left is pretty much nullified.

agree, the league will factor losses of Avril, Cherilus, Durant with the additions of Quinn, Bush, Jones, Mosley, maybe we get something but not a lot.

October 7th, 2013, 5:12 pm
Varsity Captain

How many guys do we have that were signed to 1 yr contracts or are in the final year of their contracts?

October 21st, 2013, 3:10 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Boz wrote:
How many guys do we have that were signed to 1 yr contracts or are in the final year of their contracts?

I think we purposely stopped doing that because it caused locker room issues last year.

I believe Joique, Willie, and Raiola are on 1-year deals. Nate's is basically a one year deal because although he has one year left, this year was renegotiated. Scheffler and Pett are on the last years of their contracts. I think those are the big ones.

October 21st, 2013, 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2