View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:55 am



Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Congrats Tigers 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Nobody on, one out and losing 5-0 in the 5th inning. You would intentionally walk Sandova with buster posey and hunter pence coming up nextl? sure you would....


YES I would. After he took us deep twice before. You bet your dairy air I would.

By the way, yet another 1-0 loss is in the books. Guess playing for the HR didn't work. AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Leyland has no idea how to play small ball.


Small ball, are you kidding me, small ball. fudge SMALL BALL, it's boring as poop and rarely works. Leyland plays the team that was built for him and he does a great job doing it. No one, and I mean no one will make 100% of the decision correct so why do you expect it? We are lucky to have such a quality manager in the Tigers uniform. If I can pick between having you as a fan or Leyland as a manager I'd tell you don't like the door hit you in the rectum. For crying out loud, 2 WS appearances, 3 time division champs and you want to bitch.


AND ZERO RINGS.


I would just suggest you stop because you are coming off foolish.


No. It's is only 2 people that can't seem to understand my point of view on the matter. I get it. You 2 love Leyland and will defend him to the end. But, quit trying to say that I am foolish just because I don't hold the same opinion of Leyland. Not 1 time did I ever say that you had to hate on Leyland with me. So, you can put your middle finger away now.


October 7th, 2013, 10:23 am
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 800
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
No thanks.


October 7th, 2013, 2:05 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
aManNamedSuh wrote:
No thanks.


Thank you for proving your mentality.


October 7th, 2013, 3:20 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3874
Location: WSU
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Nobody on, one out and losing 5-0 in the 5th inning. You would intentionally walk Sandova with buster posey and hunter pence coming up nextl? sure you would....


YES I would. After he took us deep twice before. You bet your dairy air I would.

By the way, yet another 1-0 loss is in the books. Guess playing for the HR didn't work. AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Leyland has no idea how to play small ball.


Small ball, are you kidding me, small ball. fudge SMALL BALL, it's boring as poop and rarely works. Leyland plays the team that was built for him and he does a great job doing it. No one, and I mean no one will make 100% of the decision correct so why do you expect it? We are lucky to have such a quality manager in the Tigers uniform. If I can pick between having you as a fan or Leyland as a manager I'd tell you don't like the door hit you in the rectum. For crying out loud, 2 WS appearances, 3 time division champs and you want to bitch.


billy also ignores that they did try some small ball with the bottom of the order. hit and run with don kelly to advance a runner, caught stealings with iglesias and hunter. small ball fails too, billy acts like the tigers are built to play some ball and that leyland is just too stubborn to do it. leyland would do it all day in the right situation but the day the tigers take the bat out of miggy, prince, vmart bats or take someone off the bases when those guys are up is the day billysims is the manager


October 7th, 2013, 5:27 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
The Legend wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Nobody on, one out and losing 5-0 in the 5th inning. You would intentionally walk Sandova with buster posey and hunter pence coming up nextl? sure you would....


YES I would. After he took us deep twice before. You bet your dairy air I would.

By the way, yet another 1-0 loss is in the books. Guess playing for the HR didn't work. AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Leyland has no idea how to play small ball.


Small ball, are you kidding me, small ball. fudge SMALL BALL, it's boring as poop and rarely works. Leyland plays the team that was built for him and he does a great job doing it. No one, and I mean no one will make 100% of the decision correct so why do you expect it? We are lucky to have such a quality manager in the Tigers uniform. If I can pick between having you as a fan or Leyland as a manager I'd tell you don't like the door hit you in the rectum. For crying out loud, 2 WS appearances, 3 time division champs and you want to bitch.


billy also ignores that they did try some small ball with the bottom of the order. hit and run with don kelly to advance a runner, caught stealings with iglesias and hunter. small ball fails too, billy acts like the tigers are built to play some ball and that leyland is just too stubborn to do it. leyland would do it all day in the right situation but the day the tigers take the bat out of miggy, prince, vmart bats or take someone off the bases when those guys are up is the day billysims is the manager


6 runs in the last 36 innings. All came without the HR. Pretty much, if we don't hit the HR, we don't score. You guys key in on the base stealing statement and totally ignore the entirety of what small ball is all about. The term small ball just means doing everything you can to score or force the issue without relying on the HR. The Tigers are stinking terrible at it. We get a guy on 3rd base with no-one out and can't score him far too frequently. Why? Because everyone goes up there trying to hit a stinking home run and we end up with 2 strikeouts and then the fly out.

But, no. Let's just pick 1 part of what I said and that supports your love of Leyland and ignore the rest. You can have Leyland. But, what I said about this team being under achievers holds true. 6 runs in the last 36 innings. That's horrible for a team that has 2 guys making $300M+.
Being down 2-1 in a best of 5 series. Looks like I was right that this team won't make it past Oakland. Now tell me I'm wrong about that JACK! You are same people blaming all the Lions faults on Schwartz. But, heaven forbid that I blame Leyland for the Tigers lack of small ball play. Pot, meet Kettle.


October 7th, 2013, 6:59 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 800
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Nobody on, one out and losing 5-0 in the 5th inning. You would intentionally walk Sandova with buster posey and hunter pence coming up nextl? sure you would....


YES I would. After he took us deep twice before. You bet your dairy air I would.

By the way, yet another 1-0 loss is in the books. Guess playing for the HR didn't work. AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Leyland has no idea how to play small ball.


Small ball, are you kidding me, small ball. fudge SMALL BALL, it's boring as poop and rarely works. Leyland plays the team that was built for him and he does a great job doing it. No one, and I mean no one will make 100% of the decision correct so why do you expect it? We are lucky to have such a quality manager in the Tigers uniform. If I can pick between having you as a fan or Leyland as a manager I'd tell you don't like the door hit you in the rectum. For crying out loud, 2 WS appearances, 3 time division champs and you want to bitch.


billy also ignores that they did try some small ball with the bottom of the order. hit and run with don kelly to advance a runner, caught stealings with iglesias and hunter. small ball fails too, billy acts like the tigers are built to play some ball and that leyland is just too stubborn to do it. leyland would do it all day in the right situation but the day the tigers take the bat out of miggy, prince, vmart bats or take someone off the bases when those guys are up is the day billysims is the manager


6 runs in the last 36 innings. All came without the HR. Pretty much, if we don't hit the HR, we don't score. You guys key in on the base stealing statement and totally ignore the entirety of what small ball is all about. The term small ball just means doing everything you can to score or force the issue without relying on the HR. The Tigers are stinking terrible at it. We get a guy on 3rd base with no-one out and can't score him far too frequently. Why? Because everyone goes up there trying to hit a stinking home run and we end up with 2 strikeouts and then the fly out.

But, no. Let's just pick 1 part of what I said and that supports your love of Leyland and ignore the rest. You can have Leyland. But, what I said about this team being under achievers holds true. 6 runs in the last 36 innings. That's horrible for a team that has 2 guys making $300M+.
Being down 2-1 in a best of 5 series. Looks like I was right that this team won't make it past Oakland. Now tell me I'm wrong about that JACK! You are same people blaming all the Lions faults on Schwartz. But, heaven forbid that I blame Leyland for the Tigers lack of small ball play. Pot, meet Kettle.


Dude they scored the 2nd most runs in the majors this year. Keep keying in on anomalies and ignore facts it's cool, it helps your argument.


October 7th, 2013, 7:36 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3874
Location: WSU
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Nobody on, one out and losing 5-0 in the 5th inning. You would intentionally walk Sandova with buster posey and hunter pence coming up nextl? sure you would....


YES I would. After he took us deep twice before. You bet your dairy air I would.

By the way, yet another 1-0 loss is in the books. Guess playing for the HR didn't work. AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Leyland has no idea how to play small ball.


Small ball, are you kidding me, small ball. fudge SMALL BALL, it's boring as poop and rarely works. Leyland plays the team that was built for him and he does a great job doing it. No one, and I mean no one will make 100% of the decision correct so why do you expect it? We are lucky to have such a quality manager in the Tigers uniform. If I can pick between having you as a fan or Leyland as a manager I'd tell you don't like the door hit you in the rectum. For crying out loud, 2 WS appearances, 3 time division champs and you want to bitch.





billy also ignores that they did try some small ball with the bottom of the order. hit and run with don kelly to advance a runner, caught stealings with iglesias and hunter. small ball fails too, billy acts like the tigers are built to play some ball and that leyland is just too stubborn to do it. leyland would do it all day in the right situation but the day the tigers take the bat out of miggy, prince, vmart bats or take someone off the bases when those guys are up is the day billysims is the manager


6 runs in the last 36 innings. All came without the HR. Pretty much, if we don't hit the HR, we don't score. You guys key in on the base stealing statement and totally ignore the entirety of what small ball is all about. The term small ball just means doing everything you can to score or force the issue without relying on the HR. The Tigers are stinking terrible at it. We get a guy on 3rd base with no-one out and can't score him far too frequently. Why? Because everyone goes up there trying to hit a stinking home run and we end up with 2 strikeouts and then the fly out.

But, no. Let's just pick 1 part of what I said and that supports your love of Leyland and ignore the rest. You can have Leyland. But, what I said about this team being under achievers holds true. 6 runs in the last 36 innings. That's horrible for a team that has 2 guys making $300M+.
Being down 2-1 in a best of 5 series. Looks like I was right that this team won't make it past Oakland. Now tell me I'm wrong about that JACK! You are same people blaming all the Lions faults on Schwartz. But, heaven forbid that I blame Leyland for the Tigers lack of small ball play. Pot, meet Kettle.



listen man, im not debating that small ball can be effective, it can be but the team has to be designed for it. in many instances this series leyland has tried to play small ball but it just hasnt worked out. like you said, the team stinks at it. why? bc they are filled with slow plodders on the bases that hit for extra base power rather than bat control, contact and using speed. you are mis-assigning blame on the issue however to leyland when you have more of a problem with the team design. your problem is really with ilitch/dombrowski not really leyland, you just dont realize it.

again a new example today, game 5: avila trying to lay down a bunt in a big situation fails at it falls behind 0-2 and Ks - doesnt advance runners and ends up w a worthless at bat. leyland is not refusing to play small ball! he ll do it when the situation calls for it - but he doesnt have guys that can execute it well. thats why its limited usage, end of story.


October 8th, 2013, 11:14 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3902
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
Just to throw a little fuel on the fire, I fond it amusing when the announcers said flat out that "Detroit will not win this game playing small ball. they will have to start playing their game if they want to come back and win this" (said shortly after the 2 run homer putting the Tigs back 0-3)


no argument about it, the long ball won last night.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


October 9th, 2013, 10:46 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
regularjoe12 wrote:
Just to throw a little fuel on the fire, I fond it amusing when the announcers said flat out that "Detroit will not win this game playing small ball. they will have to start playing their game if they want to come back and win this" (said shortly after the 2 run homer putting the Tigs back 0-3)


no argument about it, the long ball won last night.


Don't mistake my argue meant for small ball as me hating the HR. I like HRs as much as the next guy. I just get sick of seeing guys go up to the plate and swing for the fences, and end up creating an out without advancing any base runners. Guy on 3rd with 1 out or less should score at least 80% of the time. (Not certain), but, I think the Tigers are only somewhere near 50%. That's plain pathetic. You don't need to be a great hitter to just make contact and send a pop up to midrange in the Outfield for a sacrifice. But they swing for the fences sand either strike out or ground into a double play.


October 9th, 2013, 1:13 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3874
Location: WSU
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
BillySims wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Just to throw a little fuel on the fire, I fond it amusing when the announcers said flat out that "Detroit will not win this game playing small ball. they will have to start playing their game if they want to come back and win this" (said shortly after the 2 run homer putting the Tigs back 0-3)


no argument about it, the long ball won last night.


Don't mistake my argue meant for small ball as me hating the HR. I like HRs as much as the next guy. I just get sick of seeing guys go up to the plate and swing for the fences, and end up creating an out without advancing any base runners. Guy on 3rd with 1 out or less should score at least 80% of the time. (Not certain), but, I think the Tigers are only somewhere near 50%. That's plain pathetic. You don't need to be a great hitter to just make contact and send a pop up to midrange in the Outfield for a sacrifice. But they swing for the fences sand either strike out or ground into a double play.



how do you think oakland feels after that bases loaded no out situation when there first 2 guys go down swinging and then they bring in a chump to fly out?

btw, how about a little credit to leyland for some of the strings he pulled last night. sticks with peralta in the outfield who pays him back with a 3 run shot to awake the bats. milks 6 innings out of fister when probably everyone knew he didnt have much after 1 inning. goes to scherzer who also wasnt at his best but leyland sticks with him even after he loads the bases to see scherzer amazingly comes through. sticks with jackson for the biggest at bat of the game. pinch runners for peralta, martinez score, etc. about the only thing he did wrong was when he tried to play small ball with avila bunting...it was pretty masterful managing. leyland stuck with his guns, knowing that his best shot was to win with them.


October 9th, 2013, 8:49 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 800
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
A few stats.

Tigers during the 2013 season have the second best batting average with runners in scoring position in the majors:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byteam?cat=Situational&cut_type=39&conference=MLB&year=season_2013&sort=722

Tigers have the second best batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byteam?cat=Situational&cut_type=185&conference=MLB&year=season_2013&sort=722

The Tigers have scored the 2nd most runs when up to bat with the bases loaded (not the best batting average)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byteam?cat=Situational&cut_type=94&conference=MLB&year=season_2013&sort=707

Just a few little stats about the myth of them not being a team that drives in runs with runners in scoring position.


October 11th, 2013, 2:26 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
[quote="aManNamedSuh"]A few stats.

Tigers during the 2013 season have the second best batting average with runners in scoring position in the majors:

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byteam?cat=Situational&cut_type=39&conference=MLB&year=season_2013&sort=722[/url]

Tigers have the second best batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs:

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byteam?cat=Situational&cut_type=185&conference=MLB&year=season_2013&sort=722[/url]

The Tigers have scored the 2nd most runs when up to bat with the bases loaded (not the best batting average)

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/stats/byteamcat=Situational&cut_type=94&conference=MLB&year=season_2013&sort=707[/url]

Dude, not even once, have I ever disputed those stats. You simply misunderstand my whole statement. So, let me simplify it for you. For all those stats you just cited, there were just about twice of them left stranded. And if a little bit of small ball strategy had been used in a timly manner, those stats you cited could have been bigger by about 25% or more. Which might have given them a few more wins and maybe home field advantage. Ergo, I believe this Tigers team under achieved.

Just a few little stats about the myth of them not being a team that drives in runs with runners in scoring position.[/quote]


October 11th, 2013, 3:08 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 800
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
Oh I understand your point, I'm saying it's bogus. You can always say a team underachieved since there is no "high score" in baseball.

If you like small ball go be a KC fan. It doesn't work, and it sure as hell doesn't work for this lineup. And I thought your point was the Leyland was awful and couldn't manage.


October 11th, 2013, 3:50 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3874
Location: WSU
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
aManNamedSuh wrote:
Oh I understand your point, I'm saying it's bogus. You can always say a team underachieved since there is no "high score" in baseball.

If you like small ball go be a KC fan. It doesn't work, and it sure as hell doesn't work for this lineup. And I thought your point was the Leyland was awful and couldn't manage.


honestly the guy is rarely worth responding to, we shouldnt have even bothered in this instance. not even masterful managing and a defeat of oakland changed his mind.


October 11th, 2013, 4:43 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: July 14th, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 800
Post Re: Congrats Tigers
The Legend wrote:
honestly the guy is rarely worth responding to, we shouldnt have even bothered in this instance. not even masterful managing and a defeat of oakland changed his mind.


Yeah you're probably right, it's just such a lazy argument and that's what bothers me.


October 11th, 2013, 5:04 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.