View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 8:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ Packers 
RIP Killer

Post Re: GAME DAY THREAD: Lions @ Packers
The Legend wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
I guess I just don't get it. Or I'm some sort of apologist or whatever. What exactly do people think Stafford should be doing here? I saw last year a number of times where he flat out missed throws to guys where he could have made big plays. This year I don't see that. he was 25/40 I think yesterday. I saw 3 silly drops in big time situations. Bush on the screen, what's his face in the end zone and Scheffler on 3rd down for the game ending drive.

All QBs miss some throws. Stafford to me seems to be going to the right place a lot of times, and getting hosed by his teammates who don't make the play. He's not blameless, but the clowns on the radio who want Hill to play are driving me nuts. Calvin can't throw it to himself, but Stafford can't run the routes right and catch it himself either. The reason those other QBs 'make the other guys better' is because the other guys can actually play in those other cities.

Most of the Lions WR depth came off the street or from cuts off other teams. What I can't figure out is how these guys on the team now are somehow better than the actual proven retreads that might be signed off the street now. Guys like Braylon Edwards, maybe Breaston, amongst others.

I forget who wrote it, but the post about needing both Bush and CJ is spot on. I wouldn't be opposed to a trade now for a WR, except that I am not confident Mayhew can identify one that can play. He's had zero success in acquiring one in the past 4 years.

i agree completely. m2k still upset about stafford beating out culpepper in 2009. these receivers arent playmakers and thats what the lions need. if they want to be serious about winning this season they should go out and grab a legit No 2 WR pair him with Megatron, put Broyles and or Edwards into there appropriate roles in the slot with Bush mixing in and then we ll see if Stafford is an issue. go get hakeem nicks and give up what they want - i dont wanna look back at calvin, stafford, suh's time with the lions and think that management never swung for the fences. last i checked he doesnt have demerius thomas, eric decker, wes welker, julius thomas, etc but i do agree with m2k that there were coaching issues in this one. yes they passed a lot but they were running some bs plays. i would ve liked to see more of bush in the slot with bell in the backfield. the way green bay was keying bush why not some more play action. maybe a flea flicker. why on earth the lions ever ever run an empty backfield so much is beyond me...just stop it with that linehan. i know they love there x's and o's but the basic fundamental of being too predictable on offense was a huge problem in this game and overlooked too often by this coaching staff

Ok...so Stafford overthrowing an open Reggie Bush on a flare pass is whose fault? It may have hit his hands, but it was over his head and slightly behind him. I'm not saying Stafford has to do it himself. But c'mon....for every two good throws he has, he has a bad one. That's not what I want out of our QB, and neither should any of you. Remember the slant to CJ last week near the goal line that ended up being a pick? The defense (Suh) BAILED out Stafford on that one by stripping Cutler and Fairley scooping it for the TD.

I think Stafford has a great, great NFL arm. Top five in the league, actually. But you watch the games again and look at what he's looking at downfield. Sometimes it's not about the throws he is making, but the throws he isn't making. As in forcing a ball to a covered receiver, while someone else is alone on the sidelines. There is a reason why some people out there critique his footwork and other things. He certainly doesn't see the field as well as some other QBs, he doesn't move in the pocket as well as I'd like him to, and at times he seems to hurry his throws when he has plenty of time.

Does that mean I want another QB? No. I think we need a better QB coach, actually. He needs to step into the pocket better, and that comes with coaching. I saw more than a couple times yesterday when he failed to step into a throw, and he had room to do that. It doesn't mean he has to hum the ball in there when he steps into the throw. Stepping in creates a more complete motion and increases accuracy.

And oh, by the way, the pass that hit Durham in the facemask was tipped first by whoever was in front of him (Scheffler I think) if it's the same play I'm thinking of. And that falls squarely on Linehan, or whichever receiver ran the wrong route. Linehan if the play was designed that way (two receivers within 3 yards of each other?!) or the receiver who screwed up (can't tell who it would have been).

Lastly....the defense was fine yesterday, except for around four big plays they gave up. You can say all day those guys were tired, but that had nothing to do with the loss. They gave up the long TD pass in the third quarter, and you can see Houston and Delmas looking at each other, trying to figure out who screwed up. That's not being tired, that's being dumb. Third and seven and they give up an 83 yard TD. As Johnny Morton once said 'they gave up that azz like a three dollar whore'.

No doubt missing Calvin and Nate hurt the team. I'm not debating that. But players get hurt in this league. It happens on EVERY team. But the really good teams find a way to win regardless. Using injuries as an excuse for a loss is bs, plain and simple. It shouldn't be acceptable to the team, and it shouldn't be acceptable to the fans. The fact that many of you are accepting that excuse shows just how little you actually believe in the team, but instead believe only in certain players. BIG, big difference.

October 7th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Pop Warner Rookie

Quote:
I think Stafford has a great, great NFL arm. Top five in the league, actually. But you watch the games again and look at what he's looking at downfield. Sometimes it's not about the throws he is making, but the throws he isn't making. As in forcing a ball to a covered receiver, while someone else is alone on the sidelines. There is a reason why some people out there critique his footwork and other things. He certainly doesn't see the field as well as some other QBs, he doesn't move in the pocket as well as I'd like him to, and at times he seems to hurry his throws when he has plenty of time.
from my perspective of the game, it seemed stafford had zero confidence in that groups ability to make a play. while i cant blame him for that, theres no point in holding back and the whole time was wondering why we werent even trying to do anything that had potential for a big play.

Quote:
Does that mean I want another QB? No. I think we need a better QB coach, actually. He needs to step into the pocket better, and that comes with coaching. I saw more than a couple times yesterday when he failed to step into a throw, and he had room to do that. It doesn't mean he has to hum the ball in there when he steps into the throw. Stepping in creates a more complete motion and increases accuracy.
I thought a few of the sacks were directly related to him not trying to step up in the pocket and getting his legs wrapped up.

Quote:
No doubt missing Calvin and Nate hurt the team. I'm not debating that. But players get hurt in this league. It happens on EVERY team. But the really good teams find a way to win regardless. Using injuries as an excuse for a loss is bs, plain and simple. It shouldn't be acceptable to the team, and it shouldn't be acceptable to the fans. The fact that many of you are accepting that excuse shows just how little you actually believe in the team, but instead believe only in certain players. BIG, big difference.
Yes because unfortunately the only times we look like we can compete with top tier teams is when everyone is healthy. I think we are good, not great yet. I dont think the season is lost by any stretch, but Florios bold prediction of us making the nfc championship game is a long shot.

October 7th, 2013, 7:15 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Quote:
Ok...so Stafford overthrowing an open Reggie Bush on a flare pass is whose fault? It may have hit his hands, but it was over his head and slightly behind him. I'm not saying Stafford has to do it himself. But c'mon....for every two good throws he has, he has a bad one. That's not what I want out of our QB, and neither should any of you. Remember the slant to CJ last week near the goal line that ended up being a pick? The defense (Suh) BAILED out Stafford on that one by stripping Cutler and Fairley scooping it for the TD.

everyone is going to have a bad throw every now and then. the slant to CJ Stafford purposely threw it low, it was a catchable ball for a big target in a place where only Calvin could catch it. It was a lil behind and popped up off of Calvin's leg for the INT. Stafford's fault no question but you are talking like its a doom situation while the facts show a 64% passer with a 1.5% INT rate. you dont mention some of the outstanding throws he s threaded this season. The TD pass he threaded to Johnson vs ARI toasting a top 5 CB, the touch pass he dropped into Fauria vs WAS, the running to his left throw it against the grain laser he threaded to Scheffler, etc. The good has far far outweighted the bad.

Quote:

I completely disagree. For the vast majority of plays, Stafford seems to be making the right reads this year. Its been a big improvement over a year ago. Honestly I care about his footwork when he s making a throw when there isnt pressure but if he s on the run or being chased down he s using his arm strength to get it where it needs to be without getting batted down or changing the trajectory to keep the pass where his target has the only shot. there are pro s and con s to both methods. while i agree sometimes he ll get lazy in the pocket it is a tremendous advantage to have the ability to make the other types of throws that he makes without having to stop square himself up, lose the opportunity of the receiver being open and get nailed in the process. its the difference bw shooting a set shot in basketball and having a quick release jumper. i like the guy that can do both, just want him to take a lil more time when he doesnt need to rush it.

Quote:

i agree but more from the standpoint of escape lanes in the pocket. i ve been saying this and the QB coach thing for over a year. The Lions QB coach Downing is a nobody. maybe they can just have Shaun Hill show him bc Hill does it well. Stafford sometimes just kinda sacks himself in the pocket. This is the only thing that makes a guy like Flacco better than Stafford. Flacco can extend plays until someone can get open, it makes the OCoordinator job easy bc he called a play that failed and the QB finds a way to make a positive play. So far, to me Stafford is very good at executing a called play but could get a lot better with his pocket mobility to extend plays. He ll be lethal if he figures it out and he seems to have decent enough footspeed.

Quote:
And oh, by the way, the pass that hit Durham in the facemask was tipped first by whoever was in front of him (Scheffler I think) if it's the same play I'm thinking of. And that falls squarely on Linehan, or whichever receiver ran the wrong route. Linehan if the play was designed that way (two receivers within 3 yards of each other?!) or the receiver who screwed up (can't tell who it would have been).

i think you re talking about a play later in the game where Fauria and Durham messed up the routes and ran to the same area. Everyone else is talking about a drop inside the 10 late in the first half before the Lions FG. One of those guys ran the wrong route.

Quote:
Lastly....the defense was fine yesterday, except for around four big plays they gave up. You can say all day those guys were tired, but that had nothing to do with the loss. They gave up the long TD pass in the third quarter, and you can see Houston and Delmas looking at each other, trying to figure out who screwed up. That's not being tired, that's being dumb. Third and seven and they give up an 83 yard TD. As Johnny Morton once said 'they gave up that azz like a three dollar whore'.

Agree, big play was both of there faults. Delmas committed to the vertical threat in the middle and Houston just let Jones run by his zone even though there was no other threat into the area. Rodgers probably completes a big play no matter what Delmas does on the play while maybe Houston could have at least kept Jones covered. The big run, Levy was lined up way outside and got blocked out of his lane, Delmas came up but Cobb had too much space and made him miss while the blocker got enough of Tulloch to keep him out of the play. I believe it was Ansah also cleared out on the line.

Quote:

No your not debating it but you are understating it. Tom Brady with a similar set of weapons managed to produce just 2 FGs yesterday, completed 47% of his passes and had a pick with no TDs. He s completing 57% and 1.6 yards/attempt less per game than Stafford on the season. There is lots of blame to go around and people are upset but yesterday's outcome was not surprising given the approach of the coaching staff. They had all preseason to figure out how they would do things without Johnson but didnt develop much for the other threats and yesterday's game plan was similar.

Why on earth does it matter if people believe in the team bc as much as we d all like to none of us have had any part in putting the team together. I think Im realistic when I say that probably nobody knows who they really are and whatever it is that they are , but the team is much improved when Calvin Johnson is on the field. They are less predictable, the line is better, Bush and Bell are better, Stafford is better and the 1-2 plays per game the ancillary players can make is sometimes enough to be meaningful. Not sure what you are trying to prove with that statement. Are you the only one that believes in the team and are a better fan bc you demand that they are better? I think not, everyone wants them to be better but what a fan believes doesnt affect the teams performance. You arent the coach bro, you re a fan like the rest of us.

October 7th, 2013, 8:40 pm
Heisman Winner

For the record, yes I blame Bush for dropping the pass that hit him in the hands.

I also blame Scheffler for dropping the 3rd down pass that hit him in the hands that would have extended the drive.

I also blame Edwards for dropping the pass in the endzone that hit him in the hands.

I was not referring to the play where two receivers were in the same spot and Durham clanked it off his face.

I mentioned them initially because I thought they were critical mistakes that cost the team at crucial points in the game. In these individual cases, I do not blame the QB. Sure he can place the ball better at times and has said so himself. There are numerous opportunities to blame Stafford for an incomplete pass. I'm not sure if it was this game or the last, but Staff had Broyles clear in the open for a TD and he missed him. There was more of that last year than I'd like to see, but I haven't noticed it so much this time.

I think Staff is better this year than last. Everybody wants their QB to become Manning. I think Staff is not going to be that. I see him more like Favre. Super accurate for streaks and not as much from time to time. Add those 3 drops to the right side of the ledger and the game becomes a 70% completion day for the QB. That's pretty good in my mind.

October 8th, 2013, 12:00 pm
RIP Killer

I'm not blaming Stafford for the loss. I don't blame him for ANY loss this team has suffered while he's been here. All players make mistakes. All players have off days. No single player is truly responsible for any loss or any victory.

While his completion percentage is quite good this year (and it could be better if some of these guys learned to catch), that doesn't mean he's not seeing the field as well as I would hope he should. Now, I realize that sitting in the cheap seats (home) and seeing the play after the fact (replays) is the easy route. But I'm not the one getting paid millions of dollars like he is. And I'm sorry, but it is RARE that I see him turn to his third or fourth receiver. He usually looks at his primary, maybe secondary....and that's it. On rare occasion he may hit his third option after he's left the pocket. R.A.R.E. That limits him from being able to accomplish so much more. That said, I do agree that the quality of his receivers limits him. Durham, Edwards, Scheffler, etc. rarely gain ample separation from coverage. Broyles is the one who excels in that area, and is probably the best at it when going one on one. He is really good going against the zone coverage and finding the soft spots. If he could teach that to Durham and Edwards it would be great. But I believe that is something you can either do or not do based on experience and feel. It's a shame Broyles has had the knee problems, and isn't about three inches taller. He'd be a great second receiver.

So, let me reiterate. I do not blame Stafford for any loss. His play has been good, but at times inconsistent. At times he seems comfortable in the pocket, at other times he seems rushed even when he has no reason to be. His footwork isn't as consistent as it needs to be. Some plays his footwork is textbook, other plays it is something that boggles the mind. Thankfully he has the arm strength to overcome some of that. But that doesn't mean he shouldn't work to correct that. Which is EXACTLY WHY I said the Lions need to get a better QB coach. They've got a boatload of money invested in that young man. If they truly want to develop him further and put themselves in a better position to win, then they can't go cheap on that piece of the puzzle.

October 8th, 2013, 1:17 pm
3rd Round Selection

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

Agree, big play was both of there faults. Delmas committed to the vertical threat in the middle and Houston just let Jones run by his zone even though there was no other threat into the area. Rodgers probably completes a big play no matter what Delmas does on the play while maybe Houston could have at least kept Jones covered. The big run, Levy was lined up way outside and got blocked out of his lane, Delmas came up but Cobb had too much space and made him miss while the blocker got enough of Tulloch to keep him out of the play. I believe it was Ansah also cleared out on the line.

Interesting piece that covers the Jones TD here: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/08/bengals-p ... e-moments/

Suggests it was Delma's fault for shading to the inside receiver too much during the game, and on that play. Agree with that. Having said that, had Delmas stayed in the middle or shaded outside, the Packers were picking up a 1st down anyway (just maybe not a TD) so hardly a great coverage package for that situation.

October 8th, 2013, 2:03 pm
Team MVP

Regarding the Delmas play. If hes playing that deep half and has 2 guys going deep, IMO i take the WR. If im not mistaken, wasnt the guy over the middle the TE? If it was Id go WR every time, but if it was a WR its tough.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 8th, 2013, 8:14 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

It was Jones outside and Cobb inside, not the TE. It was a bad defensive call for the formation. Having two receivers on that side, Quin should have been called over, or Houston should have been checked to man. To remain on zone in that situation is the problem.

October 8th, 2013, 9:22 pm

UK Lion wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

Interesting piece that covers the Jones TD here: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/08/bengals-p ... e-moments/

Suggests it was Delma's fault for shading to the inside receiver too much during the game, and on that play. Agree with that. Having said that, had Delmas stayed in the middle or shaded outside, the Packers were picking up a 1st down anyway (just maybe not a TD) so hardly a great coverage package for that situation.

great find UK but i wish they would go into it in a lil more detail. the inside receiver was Cobb who is a legit threat, better player than Jones so its hard to blame Delmas for shading him. If in fact he was all game as the Packers noticed, maybe thats how the coaches wanted it played? Perhaps thats what Delmas was doing all game on his own and the Lions coaches never caught it? Still if he adjusts, I dont think Cobb has any problem toasting Levy or Tulloch but at least its not Jones vs air. If Houston is only responsible for the flat on that play than the only person that can cover the deep sideline is Delmas but that also means that a LB is covering deep middle against Cobb. Thats a win for the Packers whichever way Delmas plays it and if Houston is only responsible for the flat than the Lions ideally need to be audibling every time they see a formation like that into more of a Man Cover 2 type look where the corners stay with the outside guys and the Lions give up the flat to a TE or RB leaking out bc the play is attacking you deep with dangerous players.

October 8th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Team MVP

njroar wrote:
It was Jones outside and Cobb inside, not the TE. It was a bad defensive call for the formation. Having two receivers on that side, Quin should have been called over, or Houston should have been checked to man. To remain on zone in that situation is the problem.

This.

My bad thinking it was the TE.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

October 9th, 2013, 1:14 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
jrd66 wrote:
I guess I just don't get it. Or I'm some sort of apologist or whatever. What exactly do people think Stafford should be doing here? I saw last year a number of times where he flat out missed throws to guys where he could have made big plays. This year I don't see that. he was 25/40 I think yesterday. I saw 3 silly drops in big time situations. Bush on the screen, what's his face in the end zone and Scheffler on 3rd down for the game ending drive.

All QBs miss some throws. Stafford to me seems to be going to the right place a lot of times, and getting hosed by his teammates who don't make the play. He's not blameless, but the clowns on the radio who want Hill to play are driving me nuts. Calvin can't throw it to himself, but Stafford can't run the routes right and catch it himself either. The reason those other QBs 'make the other guys better' is because the other guys can actually play in those other cities.

Most of the Lions WR depth came off the street or from cuts off other teams. What I can't figure out is how these guys on the team now are somehow better than the actual proven retreads that might be signed off the street now. Guys like Braylon Edwards, maybe Breaston, amongst others.

I forget who wrote it, but the post about needing both Bush and CJ is spot on. I wouldn't be opposed to a trade now for a WR, except that I am not confident Mayhew can identify one that can play. He's had zero success in acquiring one in the past 4 years.

i agree completely. m2k still upset about stafford beating out culpepper in 2009. these receivers arent playmakers and thats what the lions need. if they want to be serious about winning this season they should go out and grab a legit No 2 WR pair him with Megatron, put Broyles and or Edwards into there appropriate roles in the slot with Bush mixing in and then we ll see if Stafford is an issue. go get hakeem nicks and give up what they want - i dont wanna look back at calvin, stafford, suh's time with the lions and think that management never swung for the fences. last i checked he doesnt have demerius thomas, eric decker, wes welker, julius thomas, etc but i do agree with m2k that there were coaching issues in this one. yes they passed a lot but they were running some bs plays. i would ve liked to see more of bush in the slot with bell in the backfield. the way green bay was keying bush why not some more play action. maybe a flea flicker. why on earth the lions ever ever run an empty backfield so much is beyond me...just stop it with that linehan. i know they love there x's and o's but the basic fundamental of being too predictable on offense was a huge problem in this game and overlooked too often by this coaching staff

Good post m2k. Wholeheartedly agree. Believe Stafford would excell more often with better coaching, and obviously with more talent surrounding him. The lack of quality depth on this team (and I'm talking receiver here) was painstakingly obvious on Sunday. That's on Mayhew. He has no eye for talent, and the last thing I'd want to see (as I saw posted here previously) is him making a trade for a WR.

October 9th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Just re-watched this game. The offensive tackles played pretty awful. Id change my OL grade down to an F. Deandre Levy even though he made some real plays still just leaves me unsatisfied with how he plays. I saw him get blown up by a wide receiver at the point of attack and on another run to his side he just kinda stood there unblocked 5-6 yards off the LOS while Tulloch came halfway across the fielda and Houston fought off a WR block to make the tackle directly in front of Levy who didnt even jump onto the pile. The guy seriously plays like he s afraid to get his jersey at times. Then at other times he makes a great play, wonder if focus is an issue with him. Houston had a rough game but enough cant be said about how ridiculous Aaron Rodgers is with his throws. Even when Houston had perfect coverage and safety help Rodgers found a way to drop one a few inches over Houston's head and Cobb made a crazy one handed catch. Bentley had the big miscue with the hold on 4th and 4 but he played maybe his best game covering mostly Cobb though Bentley still wasnt turning his head around to make a play on the ball. From a coaching standpoint, I absolutely hated how Schwartz didnt make the Packers re-kick when they got a penalty for having the wrong guy hold the ball against the tee, Instead of a re-kick from the 30 Schwartz just takes the tacked on 5 yards so we take it over at the 21. How conservative can you get...a kickoff from the old spot is still a shot at a big play? Also thought Linehan didnt have his best game. Stafford was just sitting back there throwing and Linehan was focusing only on reciever routes. They booted Stafford only once, play action only a couple times and didnt move the pocket much plus left him exposed with too many empty backfields. As for Stafford's performance, the throws that Bush dropped should ve both been caught and while Stafford was a little erratic the receivers hands were worse in this one by a lot.

anyway, lets go Tigers tonight!!!

October 10th, 2013, 5:35 pm
Team MVP

Shoot Legend, you had to "re-watch" the game to know the tackles played bad?!?! Lol

Yeah man, I think Fox single handedly made me about tear my Calvin Jersey off watching him get pushed backwards time after time. Amd I safe to say RT is a big, big need next offseason?

October 10th, 2013, 8:20 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
Shoot Legend, you had to "re-watch" the game to know the tackles played bad?!?! Lol

Yeah man, I think Fox single handedly made me about tear my Calvin Jersey off watching him get pushed backwards time after time. Amd I safe to say RT is a big, big need next offseason?

It will depend on how much the Lions like LaAdrian Waddle. I think he is a better player physically than Fox, but likely just doesn't know enough of the offense and the line calls. If this is as good as Fox is going to play, then it's time for the Lions to watch him walk.

October 10th, 2013, 10:09 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I personally have liked the way Hilliard has played at RT. I think he needs to continue to start the rest of the season and let Fox back him up.

Also, I think Waddle will be competing for the starting RT job at some point. It could be later this year or next season.

NEVER GIVE UP!

October 11th, 2013, 8:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next