View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 11:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Available WRs for Lions 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
Since there's only 3/4 of the season left, I would try to get Britt from the Titans for a song. Maybe the change of scenery will help him out. If it doesn't work out, cut him loose at the end of the season.

October 8th, 2013, 7:43 am
League MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Nicks is on the last year of his deal and is looking to get PAID. The Bills aren't trading Stevie Johnson. Nate Washington has one year after this on his deal and both are at over $4M. We already have one overpaid Nate at WR lol. I know Gordon has red flags, but he's big, pretty fast and cheap for this and the following 2 seasons before his deal expires.

they either pay someone or go fishing in the draft. they can figure out how to navigate the salary cap. gordon is one hit of marijuana from a one year suspension.

Last edited by The Legend on October 8th, 2013, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 8th, 2013, 11:20 am
RIP Killer

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Nicks is on the last year of his deal and is looking to get PAID. The Bills aren't trading Stevie Johnson. Nate Washington has one year after this on his deal and both are at over $4M. We already have one overpaid Nate at WR lol. I know Gordon has red flags, but he's big, pretty fast and cheap for this and the following 2 seasons before his deal expires.

It would do this team no good to go out and get Gordon, and then he's lost due to suspension for yet another bone head move. In fact, it could be worse for the teams mentality to lose him than to never have had him at all. At this point, I think the Lions need to accept their current situation, and make the best of it. No trades, no foolish moves. If they can find someone on the FA market that is better than someone they have on the current roster, and won't break the bank, then make that move. When the draft comes, they must identify a skilled receiver they can draft around the third round, maybe second, that can be the guy Titus Young and Ryan Broyles were supposed to be. Let Nate play out his contract and move on.

October 8th, 2013, 12:59 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

It would do this team no good to go out and get Gordon, and then he's lost due to suspension for yet another bone head move. In fact, it could be worse for the teams mentality to lose him than to never have had him at all. At this point, I think the Lions need to accept their current situation, and make the best of it. No trades, no foolish moves. If they can find someone on the FA market that is better than someone they have on the current roster, and won't break the bank, then make that move. When the draft comes, they must identify a skilled receiver they can draft around the third round, maybe second, that can be the guy Titus Young and Ryan Broyles were supposed to be. Let Nate play out his contract and move on.

I agree with this. But the thing is, can Mayhew (or whoever it may be next offseason) make this happen? IMO, he's attempted and failed twice with Titus and Broyles (Broyles was a reach and still has almost everything to prove, AND not to mention is a slot receiver, not a #2 we need opposite Calvin).

Here's a question: As of right now, can THIS defense take us to a Super Bowl? I dont know the answer to that, but I do know that there have been worse defenses that HAVE made it to the big game. If the answer is YES, is it a bad thing to say it COULD be a good idea to spend a 1st/2nd round pick on a WR? Atlanta got torched in the 2010 Divisional round of playoffs against the Packers. What do they do? They trade WAY up to get Julio, instead of addressing their needs on defense, and the following year they were offensive monsters (or close to it).

Not saying thats what WE need to do, but does it at least make you scratch your head and wonder what the Lions should do? As of now I'd say Sammy Watkins is the top WR to go off the board. We wont be picking that high. Anyway, this isnt a "Who should they draft" thread, but as M2K said, lets wait til the draft and address it. Im just wondering, how high should they attempt to address it?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 8th, 2013, 8:42 pm
League MVP

kdsberman wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

I agree with this. But the thing is, can Mayhew (or whoever it may be next offseason) make this happen? IMO, he's attempted and failed twice with Titus and Broyles (Broyles was a reach and still has almost everything to prove, AND not to mention is a slot receiver, not a #2 we need opposite Calvin).

Here's a question: As of right now, can THIS defense take us to a Super Bowl? I dont know the answer to that, but I do know that there have been worse defenses that HAVE made it to the big game. If the answer is YES, is it a bad thing to say it COULD be a good idea to spend a 1st/2nd round pick on a WR? Atlanta got torched in the 2010 Divisional round of playoffs against the Packers. What do they do? They trade WAY up to get Julio, instead of addressing their needs on defense, and the following year they were offensive monsters (or close to it).

Not saying thats what WE need to do, but does it at least make you scratch your head and wonder what the Lions should do? As of now I'd say Sammy Watkins is the top WR to go off the board. We wont be picking that high. Anyway, this isnt a "Who should they draft" thread, but as M2K said, lets wait til the draft and address it. Im just wondering, how high should they attempt to address it?

as you say yourself they have tried the draft approach and it has failed. maybe with Xanders things will be difft but if they are serious about competing this year, 2013, as they are off to a good start and have a lot of winnable looking games on the schedule then they should go make a move. Cant just keep waiting year after year after year, wait 2-3 years for a draft pick to develop and Calvin is 31 years old, Bush is 31 years old and now you arent looking for your No 2 WR anymore you are looking for a new core of premium players. They need to beat these weak teams on the schedule and build some momentum bury these chump teams left on the schedule instead of trying to scrape by them and trying to sneak into the playoffs to get bumped out early.

i think they need to go for it here, the schedule is setting up nice. they could win the division maybe play for a bye but if they are just going to sit back and hope Kevin Ogletree turns into Perriman or Morton or Crowell than the Lions are showing they're just satisfied making the playoffs and not looking to expand past what they did 2 years ago.

October 8th, 2013, 10:50 pm
NFL Veteran

I think somebody mentioned him before, but I find it weird that the Lions have never looked at Ramses Barden. He's at least a better version of Durham and he managed to have some breakout games as the Giants WR2 when Nicks went out last season. He just got a try out with the Raiders so he should be healthy.

October 9th, 2013, 10:51 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
as you say yourself they have tried the draft approach and it has failed. maybe with Xanders things will be difft but if they are serious about competing this year, 2013, as they are off to a good start and have a lot of winnable looking games on the schedule then they should go make a move. Cant just keep waiting year after year after year, wait 2-3 years for a draft pick to develop and Calvin is 31 years old, Bush is 31 years old and now you arent looking for your No 2 WR anymore you are looking for a new core of premium players. They need to beat these weak teams on the schedule and build some momentum bury these chump teams left on the schedule instead of trying to scrape by them and trying to sneak into the playoffs to get bumped out early.

i think they need to go for it here, the schedule is setting up nice. they could win the division maybe play for a bye but if they are just going to sit back and hope Kevin Ogletree turns into Perriman or Morton or Crowell than the Lions are showing they're just satisfied making the playoffs and not looking to expand past what they did 2 years ago.

I agree with what you're saying Legend, but you have to measure the costs against the returns. For instance...if the Browns ARE willing to give up Gordon, what would you think is acceptable as trade? Just a draft pick? What round? If you think combo a player and pick, what combination?

I would like to see the Lions make a move, but I just don't think there's any player out there that is available for a reasonable price. And there's absolutely no free agents that can step in and be that number two guy with any measure of success. Durham and Edwards got their chance to make a statement, and did little. With Ogletree having another week to absorb the playbook, do they give him a shot this weekend?

Even if the Lions do find a bonafide #2 receiver through trade, I think they still need to seriously consider getting another WR in the draft. Unless they truly believe Durham, Edwards or Fuller are going to breakout in the near future, they have to add depth. Burleson has MAYBE another year in him. Calvin is showing wear and tear. Broyles is a slot receiver and hasn't stayed healthy. I hate throwing more picks at this position, but with our offense what it is we need to ensure we have quality starters and depth. If the Lions can't find a true #2 WR in trade, then perhaps finding a speed TE is the way to go. There are some out there who may be available for cheaper than a #2 WR, and could have just as much effect for the offense.

Just an opinion.

October 9th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Houston is going nowhere this year. I would see what they want for Andre Roberts. Would love Andre Johnson, but, I seriously doubt we could fit him under the cap. But, could you imagine being a DC and having to defend Calvin and Andre Johnson?

October 9th, 2013, 1:27 pm
League MVP

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I agree with what you're saying Legend, but you have to measure the costs against the returns. For instance...if the Browns ARE willing to give up Gordon, what would you think is acceptable as trade? Just a draft pick? What round? If you think combo a player and pick, what combination?

I would like to see the Lions make a move, but I just don't think there's any player out there that is available for a reasonable price. And there's absolutely no free agents that can step in and be that number two guy with any measure of success. Durham and Edwards got their chance to make a statement, and did little. With Ogletree having another week to absorb the playbook, do they give him a shot this weekend?

Even if the Lions do find a bonafide #2 receiver through trade, I think they still need to seriously consider getting another WR in the draft. Unless they truly believe Durham, Edwards or Fuller are going to breakout in the near future, they have to add depth. Burleson has MAYBE another year in him. Calvin is showing wear and tear. Broyles is a slot receiver and hasn't stayed healthy. I hate throwing more picks at this position, but with our offense what it is we need to ensure we have quality starters and depth. If the Lions can't find a true #2 WR in trade, then perhaps finding a speed TE is the way to go. There are some out there who may be available for cheaper than a #2 WR, and could have just as much effect for the offense.

Just an opinion.

i agree with everything you said. for gordon id give them at best a 5th rounder, conditional upgrade to a 3rd and a 6th if he can play out his rookie deal without another suspension but i wouldnt focus on him bc i have a hard time believing he doesnt smoke weed habitually. he s almost certain to get busted again and be done for a year and nobody wants to play the charles rogers game again

i would focus on hakeem nicks. he ll want to get paid so the lions need to figure out how the cap will work out for them. seeing as how he is going to be a FA, the Giants might just be happy to get something for him but i would start low and offer as high as a 3rd and a 6th and bump the 6th to a 5th if he re-signs with the Lions. boom the Lions turn a huge weakness into a big strength. nicks in my mind is a No 1 WR will be a big problem having Calvin/Nicks/Broyles/Pettigrew/Bush on the field at the same time for opponents.

i just feel like the cost of not doing something is also very high for the Lions. what if they draft titus young again or if they draft another broyles or derrick williams, etc. im not sure they have 2-3 years to draft a No 2 WR and wait and see if he turns out to be good. now calvin johnson is roddy white, and nick fairley breaks the screw in his foot like julio jones did and ahmad bradshaw did and yao ming did, etc and suh turns into shaun rogers, etc. the lions core is together right now they need to finish the job and not throw another season away. the time to simply make the playoffs and not be serious contenders was 2 years ago, 2013 this team was supposed to be complete and contending. they ought to be bold to jump start it. i hate the fact that they didnt deal with this WR2 spot at all in the offseason with nate, broyles injured and titus arrested, cut, whatever. i like there draft picks of ansah/slay/warford but there have been some rooks that have done well hopkins, terrence williams, keenan allen, etc. they could ve have easily thrown in a future pick to someone to grab one of those last 2.

October 9th, 2013, 8:32 pm
Butkus Award Winner

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Just an opinion.

i agree with everything you said. for gordon id give them at best a 5th rounder, conditional upgrade to a 3rd and a 6th if he can play out his rookie deal without another suspension but i wouldnt focus on him bc i have a hard time believing he doesnt smoke weed habitually. he s almost certain to get busted again and be done for a year and nobody wants to play the charles rogers game again

i would focus on hakeem nicks. he ll want to get paid so the lions need to figure out how the cap will work out for them. seeing as how he is going to be a FA, the Giants might just be happy to get something for him but i would start low and offer as high as a 3rd and a 6th and bump the 6th to a 5th if he re-signs with the Lions. boom the Lions turn a huge weakness into a big strength. nicks in my mind is a No 1 WR will be a big problem having Calvin/Nicks/Broyles/Pettigrew/Bush on the field at the same time for opponents.

i just feel like the cost of not doing something is also very high for the Lions. what if they draft titus young again or if they draft another broyles or derrick williams, etc. im not sure they have 2-3 years to draft a No 2 WR and wait and see if he turns out to be good. now calvin johnson is roddy white, and nick fairley breaks the screw in his foot like julio jones did and ahmad bradshaw did and yao ming did, etc and suh turns into shaun rogers, etc. the lions core is together right now they need to finish the job and not throw another season away. the time to simply make the playoffs and not be serious contenders was 2 years ago, 2013 this team was supposed to be complete and contending. they ought to be bold to jump start it. i hate the fact that they didnt deal with this WR2 spot at all in the offseason with nate, broyles injured and titus arrested, cut, whatever. i like there draft picks of ansah/slay/warford but there have been some rooks that have done well hopkins, terrence williams, keenan allen, etc. they could ve have easily thrown in a future pick to someone to grab one of those last 2.

Completely agree. Another guy I'd love to have at #2 is James Jones. Not as good as Nicks but still a legit #2 who catches everything, can play against physical corners and has just enough speed.

October 10th, 2013, 12:50 am
Team MVP

Shotty wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Just an opinion.

Completely agree. Another guy I'd love to have at #2 is James Jones. Not as good as Nicks but still a legit #2 who catches everything, can play against physical corners and has just enough speed.

I like Jones too and hes much more durable than Nicks, but I could NEVER see Green Bay dealing him. Especially with a division rival.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

October 10th, 2013, 11:36 am
NFL Veteran

I think Gordon may be the only legit option available for trade. I doubt Nicks is actually available. The Giants just traded for Jon Beason and Coughlin/Reese look more like they are trying to add to their team to right the ship not make moves for the future. They still have 2 more weeks till the deadline so maybe some of these bad teams will start putting players on the block, but right now I think it's slim pickings.

October 10th, 2013, 9:38 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
I think Gordon may be the only legit option available for trade. I doubt Nicks is actually available. The Giants just traded for Jon Beason and Coughlin/Reese look more like they are trying to add to their team to right the ship not make moves for the future. They still have 2 more weeks till the deadline so maybe some of these bad teams will start putting players on the block, but right now I think it's slim pickings.

I don't see the Browns trading Gordon. They are looking at a 3-2 record, and Gordon is their best deep threat by far. Their trade of Trent Richardson was overblown as them giving up the season. Perhaps they saw it as an opportunity to get a first round pick in return for a player they feel wasn't playing up to his original draft status? Regardless, I think the Lions are SOL with the idea of trading for a player who will be a suitable #2 WR.

October 10th, 2013, 10:18 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I Agree about the Browns. They certainly arent considering trading him to us BEFORE their game vs us. But the Richardson trade although "crazy" when it happens was explained pretty well. He was a good Power runner, but Chudzinskis offense isnt built for a Power runner. They saw a chance to get a 1st rounder that they can use, vs a guy that they will never truly maximize his benefits in their scheme. I just think they will get a lower pick that they want, cuz Indy is solid.

October 11th, 2013, 2:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

I think M2K said this before, but im still of the few who think they should just hold on to their picks and wait til next offseason.

October 11th, 2013, 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next