View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 11:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Fauria TD Dance Thread 
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: Fauria TD Dance Thread
Peter King on Fauria: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/15/joseph-fa ... oit-lions/

Quote:
Receiving touchdowns this season:

Joseph Fauria, tight end, Detroit: 5.
Andre Johnson, Hakeem Nicks, Julio Jones, Vincent Jackson (combined): 4.

There were 16 tight ends taken in the 2013 NFL Draft, but Fauria, the nephew of veteran NFL tight end Christian Fauria, was not one of them. At 6-7 and 255, he was either too stiff or too much of a loose cannon—the two faults found with Fauria by scouts—to merit being one of the 254 players picked last April.

Bet those scouts would like to rewrite their reports now. After six weeks of the season, Fauria, the Lions’ third tight end, has taken advantage of an injury to Tony Scheffler. On Sunday in Cleveland, Fauria played 23 snaps and made them count. Backing up Brandon Pettigrew, Fauria caught three touchdown passes from Matthew Stafford, giving him five for the season. Only Julius Thomas (seven) and Vernon Davis and Jimmy Graham (six) have more touchdowns than Fauria. He has those five touchdowns on only seven catches, a number that will increase as his playing time does. And with what the Lions coaches have seen in Fauria, there’s no question he’ll be getting the ball more in the coming weeks.

“What separates Joe,’’ said coach Jim Schwartz, “and has allowed him to make those plays is he’s really strong and has really strong hands.” And he’s ridiculously tall. On Sunday in Cleveland, he had five inches on two of the linebackers covering him in space, and with the accuracy of Matthew Stafford, Fauria was able to pluck balls down and not get them stripped—because, as Schwartz said, he has such a strong grip on the ball.

Watching him play, it seems amazing he wasn’t drafted. He is a little stiff, but isn’t every big tight end not named Vernon Davis or Jimmy Graham “a little stiff?” Sixteen tight ends picked and not Fauria … that’s a pretty good reason to question the people doing your West Coast scouting.

“Hey, Arian Foster wasn’t drafted either,’’ Fauria told me this week. “I’m going to embrace that part of my profile. I’m going to use it to drive me the rest of my career. I’m not a scout, obviously, and when all the picks kept going by that weekend and I didn’t get picked, I just kept my eyes forward, didn’t blink and said, ‘Those people don’t know me. I know what I’m capable of, and someone’s going to get lucky giving me a chance.’”

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan saw early he could trust Fauria in the receiving game, and he was a willing but not great blocker. And such a target. So Fauria kept getting chances, and Sunday in Cleveland, those chances turned into three touchdown passes from Matthew Stafford. He was single-covered on all three: by a 6-foot safety, Johnson Bademosi; 6-1 linebacker Craig Robertson; and 5-10 safety T.J. Ward. On the last one, at the line of scrimmage, Ward came up close to Fauria, as if to bump him at the snap of the ball—and the height difference was stunning. Fauria was a head taller.

On the three touchdown passes, Fauria had seven, six and nine inches on the men who covered him. When Stafford throws high and accurate, it’s virtually unstoppable.

Fauria is a bright kid, peppy and showy and an end-zone dancer when he scores, and he finds it almost overwhelmingly cool to be making an impact on the NFL when no one thought he’d make an NFL roster. After Sunday’s game, Calvin Johnson walked by him and said, “Good game.’’

Fauria said: “Hi Calvin.’’ And when he passed, Fauria added: “Wow. That was cool.”

“That’s one of the best I’m getting a chance to play with, and I don’t take it for granted,’’ Fauria said. “CJ getting doubled out there makes it pretty easy for me, because I think my size can help create mismatches. And the way Matthew Stafford throws the ball—I’m in awe catching it. Such a good ball.’’

He’ll be seeing quite a few of those from Stafford.

Wow. That was cool.

Hope this guy keeps up the enthusiasm, willingness to learn and humbleness.

October 15th, 2013, 5:39 am
Modmin Dude

He's up for

Go Vote...NOW!
8) :cheers: :arrow: :idea:

October 15th, 2013, 12:09 pm
Modmin Dude

Love the facial expressions.
He's easily my new favorite Lion

October 15th, 2013, 3:24 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:

with the way he does those facial expressions, he almost looks like he's got some sort of a medical issue, like Parkinson's or something.

October 16th, 2013, 10:29 am
Modmin Dude

m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

with the way he does those facial expressions, he almost looks like he's got some sort of a medical issue, like Parkinson's or something.
Someone mentioned ADHD because he seems to have difficulty focusing on where the question was coming from.

My take is he's a young guy that's prolly not used to the limelight

October 16th, 2013, 11:39 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

he kept acting suprised that people were asking him questions. which i found HILARIOUS!

LOVE this guy! I hope he turns into a longtime pro and keeps his ....odd..... sense of humor!

October 16th, 2013, 11:55 am
3rd Round Selection

You can kind of see why the scouting reports on him would consider him "too much of a loose cannon" (as mentioned in the article above) given his behavior there. He'd look like a risk - does that look like a guy who's going to have an NFL work ethic?

Fortunately it seems his naive enthusiasm is actually a big plus. His delight to be involved means he's working hard at being an NFL player. Top guy, I love it.

October 16th, 2013, 12:05 pm
3rd Round Selection

Article on Fauria and Martin: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/sports/2 ... ng-a-blast
Quote:
ALLEN PARK — It’s good to be Sam and Joe.

They have good jobs and excel at them, make a decent living and have embraced Detroit, their new home.

Sam Martin and Joe Fauria could totally handle stand-up comedy. They’re a riot alone or feeding off each other’s one-liners.

Instead as Detroit Lions rookies, Martin punts and Fauria just catches touchdowns.

They are adored by fans, talked up by their teammates and respected by their coaches.

Although coach Jim Schwartz warned Thursday that it’s too early to put Fauria in the Hall of Fame just because he caught three touchdown passes on Sunday.

Sam and Joe have lockers next to each other at the practice facility.

They have apartments in the same complex and twice a week they cook for each other.

Wednesday night Martin whipped up chicken cordon bleu (from scratch), loaded mashed potatoes, baked beans and salad. They grill steaks and even swordfish once.

“I do Tuesdays and he does Thursdays, but we’re going to the Tigers game,’’ Martin said, adding they ate out on Tuesday. “I can print you guys out a schedule if you want.’’

They’ve become good friends since meeting at the offseason workouts even though Martin played at Appalachian State and Fauria at UCLA.

“First time I saw him in OTAs I remember talking with Blake (Clingan) the old punter, saying he’s probably going to be really good,’’ Martin said. “I just knew eventually — just knowing him, we’ve been good friends since Day One — watching him play.’’

Martin, a fifth-round draft pick, was a standout after Week Three when he was named NFC Special Teams player of the week.

He currently ranks third in the NFL (first in the NFC) in punting average (48.9) and is fourth (third in the NFC) in net punting (43.1). He is tied for second in the NFL (most in NFC) with 16 punts of 50-plus yards.

He also kicks off so veteran David Akers can focus on field goals.

“We knew he could kick-off, we researched him pretty well. I know there were a lot of people that questioned that (draft) pick, but I would like to see where all those people are right now, honestly,’’ Schwartz said.

So early on, Fauria had to deal with the overflow of reporters flocking around Martin’s stall.

Now it’s the opposite — the media flow has headed to Fauria’s locker and Martin gets the spill-over.

Fauria, who you might have heard was undrafted, has caught seven passes this season and five of them were touchdowns. He leads all NFL rookies with five touchdowns and is sixth in the NFL with that total. He has one more than Calvin Johnson.

“Man, Joe is doing his thing out there. He’s such a big target,’’ Johnson said. “You can put the ball anywhere around him. His arms can probably scratch his knees standing up. He’s a great player. He has good hands. He’s young. He’s ready to make some plays. That’s the thing I love about him.”

After each touchdown Fauria does a celebration dance in the end zone which just adds to his brand.

“I think I’m more impressed — not him just scoring touchdowns — his improvement since he got here, not that he wasn’t good. I’ve seen him get better physically with my own eyes from the day he got here as a Lion until the last game,’’ wide receiver Nate Burleson said. “He’s a better route runner, he catches the ball even stronger, he uses his hands well fighting against linebackers when they’re trying to cover him. He’s gotten better and better and his career has just started.’’

Burleson encourages the dancing because it makes the 6-foot-7 tight end stand out even more.

“I got to give an ‘A’ there’s no reason a guy that big, that tall, should make those (dance) moves,’’ Burleson said. “I’m just curious when he goes on ‘Dancing with the Stars’ if they’re going to adjust and get a tall dancer for him, most dancers are short. That is his next step I’m calling it right now, I want to be the first to say it — he’ll be on ‘Dancing with the Stars’ for sure.’’

After running through his dance repertoire Sunday, Fauria sent out a request via Twitter seeking suggestions for more dances.

And?

Several have suggested twerking.

“I’m down for a twerk here or there, but there’s probably going to be a fine so I’m going to stay away from it,’’ Fauria said.

Sam and Joe are having a blast.

The only problem?

“His feet are ...’’ Martin said. “Look at them.’’

They’re size 15s.

And, apparently, they’re made for catching touchdowns and dancing.

October 18th, 2013, 7:05 am
Modmin Dude

Nice find, thx!

Quote:
Breaking down Fauria's touchdown dances
October, 17, 2013
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Through the first half of his first NFL season, tight end Joseph Fauria has become a red zone force for the Detroit Lions. And when he scores touchdowns, he has some of the more entertaining dance celebrations in football.

He’s scored five times, more than any other rookie running back, wide receiver or tight end. After four of them, in exuberance, he danced. All were unique. All entertaining.

But the question is -- how is his form?

Fauria has gone from mimicking 'N Sync as a response to a challenge from Jimmy Fallon for charity to reenacting a Vine sensation and going back to dig through the classics with the cabbage patch.

And he’s taking suggestions at his Twitter handle @BigJoeFauria for potential future dances if he scores again. So far, he’s gotten a lot of them, including the Bernie, Macarena and twerking -- the last one he said he’d stay away from to avoid any potential fines.

“Yeah, I did,” Fauria said. “The whole social media thing, you guys obviously know I’m all about it, it’s cool to get people into that and stuff like that, interact with them and see what they want me to do.

“It’s fun. You guys know me, I like to have fun.”

Fauria maintains he will stay classy with his dances and he does them in the excitement of scoring touchdowns.

In the interest of trying to figure out how his quick dances would stack up in the real world of dancing, I reached out to former Chicago Luvabull Ashley Bond, who was also Miss Illinois USA 2009 and danced six years with the Luvabulls.

Bond, who now owns a personal training business called ‘Body By Bond,’ took the time to analyze Fauria’s moves for ESPN.com. You can follow Ashley on Twitter @bodybybond.

Dance No. 1:
The situation: Fauria scored his first NFL touchdown in the second half of his first regular-season game after a Reggie Bush touchdown run was overturned.

The dance: The Wobble

Fauria’s analysis: The Wobble was just spontaneous and it was fun. Great execution.

Bond’s analysis: He looks like he was going for a little Beyonce "Crazy in Love." He's shaking his hips, committing to his moves. All he was missing was the long hair flying around! He had some symmetry hitting the same move with the right and the left side. His execution is spot on. I like the effort, energy and enthusiasm in this TD dance. Although what was with the crazy face at the end? Too much for a performance. You don't want to scare people!

Dance No. 2:
The situation: This is his most well-known one. Fauria scored in the first half against Washington and, in response to a challenge from “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” from his skit with Justin Timberlake “The Evolution of End Zone Dancing,” performed the “Bye, Bye, Bye,” dance from ‘N Sync.

The dance: “Bye, Bye, Bye.”

Fauria’s analysis: The "Bye, Bye, Bye" was for a good cause, and that was awesome, too. That was great.

Bond’s analysis: He was clearly channeling Justin Timberlake. I have to say if the music was on he would be right on beat. He executed three bye hand motions just like the chorus "Bye, Bye, Bye" -- that takes some timing and skill. He also picks a move and commits to it. I wonder if he practices these ahead of time.

Dances 3 and 4:

The situation: On Fauria’s first touchdown, he clearly had a choreographed dance planned. On his second touchdown, he eschewed dancing for a windmill dunk over the crossbar. His third touchdown, he went old school.

The dances:
Touchdown No. 3 -- Gas pedal
Touchdown No. 4 -- Windmill dunk (not a dance)
Touchdown No. 5 -- Cabbage patch

Fauria’s analysis: The gas pedal, I rushed it a little bit. Wasn’t good. I could have done better with the execution. And then the second one, after three touchdowns, any dance will be good.

Bond’s analysis: Again, I feel like he went for a little Beyonce. Adding the arm, going around in a circle-he's got some coordination. I like how the third TD dance was a throwback. That's definitely a move from back in the day and every one loves a little retro action. He actually looks like he's practiced these.

Overall Fauria dance analysis: I'm actually quite impressed with all of these touchdown dances. It seems like he's watched music videos and actually practiced. I was thoroughly entertained by all of them, and happy to see a variety of dance moves. Overall what more can you can ask for? I give nine total. I'm gonna need to see something really impressive in the next few weeks to give him a 10, but I think he can do it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... own-dances

October 18th, 2013, 10:05 am
Modmin Dude

Quote:
Double Coverage: Bengals at Lions
October, 17, 2013
By Michael Rothstein and Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

The Detroit Lions have a chance to solidify themselves for a playoff push. So do the Cincinnati Bengals. They may be in different conferences, but this game should be a good test for both teams as to where they stand in the larger picture of the NFL.

Both teams lead their divisions, and both won on the road last week. And in the wacky world of the NFL, Detroit has beaten both teams Cincinnati has lost to (Chicago and Cleveland) while the Bengals have beaten one of the two teams the Lions lost to (Green Bay).

As for this week’s game, Bengals reporter Coley Harvey and Lions reporter Michael Rothstein break down what should be an interesting matchup.

Rothstein: Detroit's cornerbacks continue to either be banged up (starters Chris Houston and Rashean Mathis) or really young (rookie Darius Slay). How much of a problem is A.J. Green going to pose in this situation? Does he feast on these matchups?

Harvey: Given the Lions’ lack of experience and consistency at cornerback, that could be a problem for Detroit this weekend. Or maybe it will be a good thing. Here’s what I mean: Green does well when he’s going one-on-one against particular defensive backs, and he seems to relish having opportunities to expose both really good and really poor corners. Against Buffalo’s Leodis McKelvin on Sunday, Green caught six passes for 103 yards and a touchdown. He was targeted 11 times as the Bengals went more to their receivers than they had the week before. As good as McKelvin is, though, he’s no Charles Tillman, whom Green caught nine passes against in Week 1. He also isn’t Joe Haden, who allowed Green to catch seven balls but held him to just 51 yards in Cleveland three weeks ago. So Detroit having a revolving door at corner could be problematic since Green has had his opportunities against some of the league’s best this season.

As far as the inexperience and inconsistency at the position being a good thing for the Lions, I say that because that might prompt Detroit to double-team Green. As we’ve seen this season, Green struggles when safeties are able to come over the top and help out in coverage against him. If double coverage ends up being a cornerstone of the Lions’ game plan, Green could have a tough day.

We’ll stick with receivers, and I'll ask you, Michael, about Calvin Johnson. We know he’s hobbled a bit with that knee injury, but how much do you think he’s looking forward to squaring off with a guy like Green, who also is considered one of the game’s best receivers?

Rothstein: Johnson seems to enjoy seeing other top receivers on the field, but he gets more excited to see topflight opposing cornerbacks like Patrick Peterson. For instance, he and Peterson swapped jerseys after their Week 2 game.

His knee is a concern. He didn't quite look like himself against Cleveland on Sunday, dropping a couple of passes and not being his typical deep threat. But when he is out there, teams still have to pay extra attention to him because he is the top receiver in the game.

Johnson's presence changes a lot, even if he can't go deep. Detroit can still use him on underneath routes, and he's still likely to draw the double-team or added attention, especially in the red zone. As long as he can do some things and run some routes, Johnson will be out there and making a difference.

That leads me to this question -- how will Cincinnati's defense handle both the questionable health of Johnson combined with everything else Detroit's offense has to offer?

Harvey: Cincinnati’s top corner, Leon Hall, likely will draw the bulk of reps against Johnson, even though, at 5-foot-11, he stands some six inches shorter than his 6-5 counterpart. It’ll be interesting to see how Hall and the other defensive backs handle the threat of the deep ball, assuming Johnson can run better and get underneath those passes this week. If he’s forced to go underneath, the Bengals feel confident their cover linebackers -- Rey Maualuga, Vontaze Burfict and Michael Boley -- and cover safety Taylor Mays can disrupt short- to intermediate-range passes.

When it comes to stopping Reggie Bush in the run game, the Bengals have the type of defensive front that will make such a matchup intriguing. Last week, against the No. 3 rushing offense in the NFL, they gave up 130 yards on the ground but limited Fred Jackson to just 35 yards on 10 carries. With fewer big-play threats in the Lions backfield, the Bengals have to be glad they’re keying primarily on one running back this week. That said, it’ll be interesting to see what they do with linebacker James Harrison. He factored heavily in the run defense last week, but with the passing threat Detroit possesses, he likely won’t be on the field as much this week.

Speaking of defensive players, Ndamukong Suh continues to be a disruptive force in the Lions’ interior. Statistically speaking, though, it seems he wasn’t very productive last week. Any idea what happened there, Michael?

Rothstein: That hasn't been unusual. His numbers have not been astronomical, but he picks up double-teams on almost every play, it seems. So just the attention he draws assists everyone. There have been hurries that have led to interceptions as well. He is playing extremely well and very consistent.

Has Andy Dalton said anything about Suh this week? They had a prior run-in, and a hit on Brandon Weeden last week is being looked at by the league.

Harvey: Dalton was asked about the body slam Suh gave him during the 2011 preseason opener. But being the polite politician that he is, the quarterback didn’t show any ill will toward Suh. Quite the contrary, actually. Like several of his offensive linemen, Dalton simply called Suh a good player and credited the way he passionately plays the game. Though few linemen wanted to make the Dalton-Suh incident a storyline this week, they will have that play in the back of their minds, rest assured.

Oh, and is there a week when the league isn’t looking at one of his hits?

Final question for you, Michael. Why does Bush have only one rushing touchdown this year? Is that a function of being part of a good passing offense or something else?

Rothstein: It’s a misleading number, Coley. He would have had two rushing touchdowns in Week 1, but both were reviewed and taken away at the 1-yard line. Joique Bell rushed both of them in instead. And he has two receiving touchdowns, so he is finding the end zone. Detroit is more of a passing team that likes to employ screens with its running backs, so that could be why those numbers look strange. But Bush is having a good season, no doubt.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/p ... s-at-lions

October 18th, 2013, 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2