View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 NFL Bullying 
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: NFL Bullying
Helmet to the body is only illegal outside the tackle box. This was clearly in the tackle box. How is this a fine? I hope it will be appealed.

Sorry - my mistake. On further research it appears there's a separate rule for the QB to the one I initially referenced in this thread.

October 17th, 2013, 2:56 am
Modmin Dude

Truth be told, as soon as the play happened I expected a flag and figured there would be a fine; so this doesn't surprise me at all.

October 17th, 2013, 9:22 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Truth be told, as soon as the play happened I expected a flag and figured there would be a fine; so this doesn't surprise me at all.

And why did you expect it? Because of the contact involved, or because of the player involved? That's the basis of the matter.

I've seen hits FAR worse than this on a QB, this year, by defensive players on other teams, that weren't flagged and those guys were not fined.

October 17th, 2013, 10:05 am
Modmin Dude

m2karateman wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

And why did you expect it? Because of the contact involved, or because of the player involved? That's the basis of the matter.

I've seen hits FAR worse than this on a QB, this year, by defensive players on other teams, that weren't flagged and those guys were not fined.
Because of the hit. Looked to me like helmet-to-helmet or very, very close. Plus its a QB and they've had different rules for them for years, nothing new IMO.

October 17th, 2013, 10:10 am
RIP Killer

Even these guys say that this is a BS fine, not due to the hit, but due to the player reputation.

The hit was not even close to helmet to helmet. He lowered his head to avoid helmet to helmet contact. Suh didn't lead with his helmet. Initial contact was made with his hands to the QBs chest. That is EXACTLY why the officials didn't flag him.

The ridiculousness of this fine is beyond reproach. Goodell and his cronies need to go, plain and simple. They are destroying the game.

Last edited by TheRealWags on October 17th, 2013, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

fixed YouTube video

October 17th, 2013, 10:13 am
Modmin Dude

NFL's explanation: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... mes-a-fine

October 17th, 2013, 10:27 am
League MVP

im not sure where the nfl thinks a defensive player should put his helmet when making a tackle. cant hit the other players helmet, cant hit there body, maybe we need to get either much taller or much shorter defenders to decrease the likelihood of helmets making contact.

suh does not use the crown of his helmet in making this hit, the hit was not late and he hit weeden in the pads. its a ridiculous call but the significant thing is that for the first time the national media has taken Suh's side and called BS. in the past they show clips of the stomp and the jake delhomme decapitation, show a hit on cutler difft than the one suh got fined for and frame this whole argument of suh being a dirty player now they re calling out the NFL. even if the league continues to fine Suh like this what may happen is goodell and the officiating crew getting the finger pointing. i dont underestimate the power of the media. suh handled this situation the right way, he didnt go nuts when asked about it just said it like it is. he s a high profile player, the league is watching everything he does and now the media is seeing what the NFL is doing also and dont seem to like it. i m interested to see which way this is headed.

October 17th, 2013, 11:40 am
QB Coach

Actually, we're all missing a key component here! The fact is that Suh was fined by a NFL Desk Jockey, who did not like what he saw. Suh's reputation warranted greater scrutiny, but not the NFL bullying. The fact that this fine came from the Head Office per some suit's interpretation of what's legal and what's not is 100% unadulterated BS. How can you be fined for something that WASN'T flagged? How can you be fined for something on Wednesday, when the game was Sunday? He got fined after the fact, that's like sending me to my room for stealing cookies on Saturday, but you didn't find out until Thursday that I did it.

It's an abuse of power by the NFL front office. Had the ref's thrown the flag, then fine him, suspend him, or whatever, but don't go back a few days later and say, "I don't like that hit, and I feel it was inappropriate" and then fine the player. If I were Suh, I would set aside a special Fine bank account, let the NFL front office know that it's there, and they can do what they need to do, because I'm making so much money that the fine doesn't hurt. Then if they persist with higher fines or suspensions, I'd all them up on bullying charges, or Hostile Work Environment.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 17th, 2013, 1:05 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:

Biggest BULLSHIT explanation on the planet. He makes contact, but doesn't hit with force with his helmet.

In my opinion, this is no different than the game I saw last Thursday with the Bears against the Giants. Jay Cutler slides, and the Giantss defender touched him on the helmet. Not HIT him, but I mean touched him. If Cutler had taken his helmet off, the force wouldn't have even ruffled his hair. And besides that, when Culter slid his torso was upright. So it's not like his head was on the ground and the defender intentionally went after his head. He barely made contact, but Cutler quickly stood up, motioning for the flag and got it for that contact, with the referee calling it Unnecessary Roughness.

That is absolutely terrible, and the rules were NEVER written for that level of contact. Yet the officials feel duty bound to enforce it regardless. Blandino should be ASHAMED of himself, and so should the owners for allowing this to continue to fester like this. The play with Suh, in my opinion, is no different. The bulk of the force applied to Weeden came from Suh's hands, which he lead with. He didn't lead with his head, but his momentum carried his helmet into Weeden's shoulder pads.

I am happy that media members are taking a stance now against some of these BS calls. But the fact is, it is the owners who need to step in and say 'enough is enough' with the fines and penalties on rules that are poorly worded or vague in description. It's the same with the 'Calvin Johnson' rule. When that rule was written, it was NEVER intended for a player who has secured the ball and gets two feet on the ground to jump up for a ball. It was intended for a player leaving his feet to dive for a ball and then makes contact with the ground with his body other than his feet.

With all the lawyers that are part of the NFL offices, you'd think they could get this right. I'd find a better sense of intelligence floating on the top of a fish tank that hasn't been cleaned in a month.

October 17th, 2013, 1:35 pm
QB Coach

Isn't this like getting a bill from the State of Michigan, for a speeding ticket they've assumed you committed? There's no real proof that you did what they think you did, and their description of the evidence is woefully inadequate. How is that legal, that you can be cited for something after the fact, especially when it was flagged in the game, not because it was missed by the official, but because it was considered too aggressive.

I see why the NFL is going pink now, they are really pushing hard to gender neutral the sport! Take away the violence, wear pink, and now letting women try out for the sport is ASSININE!

It will be powderpuff football in not too many years from now.

GREAT! Now I'M starting to sound like Slybri

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 17th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Lions’ Raiola calls Suh’s fine “ridiculous”
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT

Lions center Dominic Raiola was forced to pay a financial penalty recently, but what really has Raiola angry is the latest fine paid by his teammate, Ndamukong Suh.

Raiola sounded off on the NFL’s decision to fine Suh $31,500 for a hit on Cleveland’s Brandon Weeden. Raiola says Suh did nothing wrong on the play and he doesn’t know why the NFL would crack down so hard.

“It’s ridiculous,’’ Raiola said. “The guy is violent, football is a violent game. I don’t think you can ever make hitting somebody soft. It’s ridiculous. I’ve got nothing more to say about it. I saw the play on the sideline, it’s not on purpose, it’s ridiculous.’’

The NFL fined Suh for lowering his helmet into Weeden’s body after Weeden threw a pass, but Suh seemed to be aiming for Weeden’s midsection — which is where defensive players are told to aim — and the referee was in good position to see the hit and didn’t throw a flag. It’s not surprising that Suh’s teammates aren’t on board with this fine.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... idiculous/
PFT wrote:
Quentin Groves not fined for roughing Matthew Stafford

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2013, 7:43 PM EDT

Late in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s game, with the Lions leading 24-17, Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford threw a third-down incompletion. But the Browns’ celebration was short-lived because Cleveland linebacker Quentin Groves was flagged for roughing the passer. The Lions benefited from the automatic first down and scored a touchdown three plays later, putting the game away.

The Browns complained that it was a bad call, and now the NFL has tacitly confirmed that they were right by declining to fine Groves for roughing the passer. The league office apparently didn’t think Groves did anything wrong on the play.

This is the second time that the league office has disagreed with the officials on the field regarding a roughing the passer call from that game: Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh was fined for a hit on Brandon Weeden that was not flagged. The Browns are left to wonder what would have happened if both of those calls had gone the other way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -stafford/

October 19th, 2013, 1:01 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Caution: This will make your head explode.

Quote:
Merton Hanks: I fined Ndamukong Suh to get his attention
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 19, 2013, 7:40 AM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... attention/
NFL Vice President of Operations Merton Hanks, the man who fines players for on-field misconduct, says he wanted to do something this week to make Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh take notice.

Hanks admits that Suh’s hit on Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden on Sunday was “not an egregious play,” but Hanks fined Suh $31,500 because he thinks it’s time that Suh pays attention to the league’s efforts to make the game safer.

“The fine is more than the minimum because he is a repeat offender and I wanted to get Ndamukong Suh’s attention in this regard. I’ve got to help him course correct,” Hanks told Andrea Kremer of NFL Network.

Hanks, who was a Pro Bowl cornerback for the 49ers in the 1990s, believes that Suh should have been flagged for roughing the passer on the play in question. But the referee had a clear view of the play and didn’t throw his flag. Maybe in addition to getting Suh’s attention, the league office needs to get the referees’ attention to clear up what does and does not constitute roughing the passer.

So this basically confirms every Lions fan's worst fear: our team and its players are being unfairly targeted by the NFL.

October 19th, 2013, 9:43 am
QB Coach

Which only goes back to my point about powder puff football. I think the fans need to do a brown bag movement and tell Mr. Hanks to go do something with himself! It's our game, we support it, and through kickstart or something like it, WE'LL pay Suh's fine. Just to send a message to the NFL to back the heck up! Doubt it will happen, but the theory is, the only way we'll be controlled is if we roll over and let them control us.

October 19th, 2013, 12:43 pm
Varsity Captain

Suh has been as the poster child for the NFL's new policy on how to make back that $800 mil that they gave the players in the brain injury lawsuit.

The Fudge game proved that the NFL and the Refs by direction from the head office are picking on certain players and teams, not just the Lions or Suh. Look at the transaction section of the sport section. Brandon Marshall fined what $15K for wearing green shoes? Some other dude got about the same thing for a uniform violation. There must have been at least 6 or 9 other guys that got fined 7.5K up to 30k, for things like slapping an opponent on the rectum. This petty crap has nothing to do with the game of football or for the most part on the game in question.

In the Fudge game, Kris Durham caught a pass and was in the fetal position on the ground. I think it was Matthews that came running in and speared him in the back. (that's what we called leading with the crown of your helmet back in the 70's) no flag, no review by the league and no discipline from the Commish or that long necked freak Hanks. This type of hit happen at least 3 or 4 other times in the game. No flags, no review, no fine. Almost as if the Fudge knew that they would not be flagged

Godell and his staff need to go. The only way that this will happen will be if the owners band together and force him out. The guy makes way to much money to be given free rieng over what has become a multi billion industry.

Detroit is not a team that is being used to promote the league, so they and other teams who probably don't fit the "America's Team" mold will be abused by the league until another team falls from grace and then their pockets will be picked.

I don't know how to start a legal petition to have Godell removed but you would think that these teams with legal departments and pockets of cash would tack charge and get ahold of their league. It dosen't belong to Rog!!!!

October 19th, 2013, 6:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Caution: This will make your head explode.

Quote:
Merton Hanks: I fined Ndamukong Suh to get his attention
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 19, 2013, 7:40 AM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... attention/
NFL Vice President of Operations Merton Hanks, the man who fines players for on-field misconduct, says he wanted to do something this week to make Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh take notice.

Hanks admits that Suh’s hit on Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden on Sunday was “not an egregious play,” but Hanks fined Suh $31,500 because he thinks it’s time that Suh pays attention to the league’s efforts to make the game safer.

“The fine is more than the minimum because he is a repeat offender and I wanted to get Ndamukong Suh’s attention in this regard. I’ve got to help him course correct,” Hanks told Andrea Kremer of NFL Network.

Hanks, who was a Pro Bowl cornerback for the 49ers in the 1990s, believes that Suh should have been flagged for roughing the passer on the play in question. But the referee had a clear view of the play and didn’t throw his flag. Maybe in addition to getting Suh’s attention, the league office needs to get the referees’ attention to clear up what does and does not constitute roughing the passer.

So this basically confirms every Lions fan's worst fear: our team and its players are being unfairly targeted by the NFL.

With this admission this retard not only opens himself to what should be an easy appeal to the fine, but potentially a lawsuit from Suh (Unless NFl/Union bylaws prevent this) and should cost him his job. Even if he did do that, he is a F%$kin moron for admitting it.

"He didnt do anything egregous (fine worthy) but I Fined him anyways. LoLoLoL.

October 20th, 2013, 3:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next