View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions Respond about Joey Cut Story!!!! 
Site Admin

Post Lions Respond about Joey Cut Story!!!!
Lions respond saying the report was "baseless".

Seems like there really might be something there though...remember the entire "Cut Morton? Who us never!!!"

Talk amongst yourselves...I smell something brewing :shock:

Detroit Lions wrote:
In response to a published report today regarding QB Joey Harrington, the team has issued the following joint statement from President and CEO Matt Millen and Head Coach Steve Mariucci.

"We have absolutely no intention of releasing Joey Harrington and there has been no organizational discussion about cutting Joey as suggested in the article. Joey had his best season this past year and we firmly believe that he will continue to improve. We consider the report baseless and untrue.

There is no roster bonus due to Harrington either in late February or early March.
No letters were sent from former Offensive Coordinator Sherman Lewis to anyone in the organization as suggested.
Lewis was not forced to retire and did so on his own volition after a 36-year coaching career in the NFL and college."

Sherm Lewis wrote:
The suggestion that I sent letters to Mr. Ford, Bill Ford and Matt (Millen) regarding Joey (Harrington) is ludicrous. I did not send any letters as indicated. To insinuate that my retirement is anything but my desire is equally absurd. No one in the organization knew anything about my retirement until the day after the Tennessee game when I informed Steve (Mariucci) of my intent to retire and spend more time with my family.

Last edited by theAlphaMale on January 12th, 2005, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 12th, 2005, 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Of course they're going to deny it. So, really we're no further along than we were before.

I think it's telling if they really aren't interested in restructuring, and I think Joey's dumb if he's not willing to take a pay cut.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone put that out there, just to see what would happen, and if anyone started to express any interest...

January 12th, 2005, 4:04 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I hope that is right. Cutting Harrington is a step back not a step foward

January 12th, 2005, 4:08 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joey has said he is willing to restructure, and good for him. Use the money to get Holcomb. I think that Millen was being truthful when he supported Joey. They have faith in him. I think Killer likes to hear himself talk and read his own writing. "According to sources close to the situation" please. Probably talked to the jaintor who is sick of cleaning up joey's beard shavings. (sarcasm, joey should have keept the beard though).

January 12th, 2005, 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Well Killer was on Stoney and Wojo just now and said he has mad mistakes in the past but he is 100% behind this. He is not saying he WILL be cut...he said discussion were going on about it from what I gather.

January 12th, 2005, 4:23 pm
Profile WWW

We will see what happens. Millen has done some DumbA things in the past, like draft joey, but this will be the dumbest thing that has even been done in the lions orgainzation, and there have been some real woppers.

January 12th, 2005, 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Word is that it is the Coaching staff pushing this and that Millen is a Joey backer...but again...I am speculating in rumor :roll:

January 12th, 2005, 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I hope that is right. Cutting Harrington is a step back not a step foward

I disagree to a certain extent. I can never see the Lions going anywhere with Joey Harrington at quarterback. Does that mean I think we should cut him and find someone else? Not necessarily, but I don't see Joey developing into the guy that will lead us to the playoffs. He isn't Drew Brees. Brees made things happen with Eric Parker and Kassim Osgood at wide receiver.

In the short run, it may be a step backward because we will have a new starting QB and probably will have a down season. But in the long run, it will most likely be a step forward because Joey in 2-3 years won't lead this team to any sort of championship, whereas I can see someone like Drew Brees or Matt Hasselbeck doing so.

I just don't see Joey developing into anything special. He should be given a year with Roy and Charles at WR, and Jones at RB. I say give him one more year. If Joey doesn't pan out this year, i'm done with him. The cap hit next year will be smaller anyways, and we will have a better evaluation of his talent level.

January 12th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

and we will have a better evaluation of his talent level.

Lemme provide you the breakdown...

Joey was said to be an accurated pocket passer who cannot make a 6 yrd pass to save his life. I guess I do not get the hang up...

January 12th, 2005, 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The denial Lions organization regarding the story is no big deal. But I'm not sure why Sherm would go out of his way to deny it since he is no longer a part of the organization. Especially if he left on "less than perfect" terms.

Second, the artical was written by Killer. Enough said.

Third, when I read the article there were a couple of issues that bothered me. Most of all was the part about the bonus. After studying Joeys contract situation, I never saw that. Killer may have backed off on that point.

Finally, from a common sense standpoint. I just don't see the Lions cutting the only QB on the roster. Makes no sense at this point from a number of standpoints. From free agency alone, how do you attract FAs to a team that has no QB. More importantly, obviously the Lions would then need to sign two FA QBs without a shred of leverage. Meaning, the prospect FA QBs would all know the situation the Lions are in and have all the leverage - getting every single penny they can.
[/list]

January 12th, 2005, 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Killer said that the roster bonus was due in July. The Lions said that he wasn't due anything in Feb or March. It would be possible that they hold on to him, get a new QB in FA, draft a project with a late pick, and who knows? Keep McMike as the backup? If they aren't pushed into a decision because of bonus money, this thing could drag out for a while.

I think the most telling detail is that it said the Lions weren't interested in a contract restructuring...

January 12th, 2005, 6:24 pm
RIP Killer

I am beginning to wonder about something. Is it possible this was an intended story leak by the organization to light a fire under Harrington and let him know with no uncertain terms that they would be willing to cut ties with him? It may sound far fetched, but stranger things have been done to motivate a player, even this soon after the conclusion of a less than stellar showing by that player.

I don't put too much stock in what Killer has to say, but you can't believe everything you hear coming out of the Lions front office either. (Ain't that right, Marty?)

Harrington shouldn't get cut, and he shouldn't have to force the organization to take these measures to let him know they aren't happy. When the Lions had McMike taking more snaps in practice at the end of the season, it was for the sole purpose of trying to snap Joey out of his funk. It worked, but the team shouldn't have had to go that far for Joey. A true team leader would have shaken it off himself. Joey needs to buckle down, demand respect, and perform at a higher level. If he has another lackluster year in 2005, color his rump gone.

January 12th, 2005, 7:02 pm

If he has another lackluster year in 2005, color his rump gone.

Remember, that is what was being said last year. Everybody pointed to Matt Hasselback as a Qb who blossomed in his 3rd year. Now, we have to wait for next year, because it took Dree Brees 4 years to devolope. I agree, we should give him another year, but what is the limit? I have no idea myself.

You might be right about the cut joey talk being a ploy. Millen is highly volatile, you never no what he is going to do next. Joey ballgame could be asking for too much dinero.

January 12th, 2005, 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Millen is highly volatile, you never no what he is going to do next. Joey ballgame could be asking for too much dinero.[/quote]

Joey isn't asking for a better contract, and Millen seems to be the person responsible for him being in the starters role to begin with. I don't know who the 'source' was, but it wasn't Millen. He's out of town.

January 12th, 2005, 10:57 pm
QB Coach

I remember Pablo making a point that dumping Harrington now wouldn't seem wise, because we wouldn't have any quarterbacks under contract going into free agency! Now that reports have changed, and the possibility of cutting him in July is brought up rather than February, I think we have the chance to go after Drew Brees or Matt Hasselbeck, and if that fails then we can deal with Harrington for another year. Joey deserves to have another season, just so he has the chance to start with Charles and Roy as well as Kevin, and if we don't have a proven player behind him, then why release him? Just doesn't make sense to release him right now.

January 12th, 2005, 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next