View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 12:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Next up: Cincinnati Bengals 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Next up: Cincinnati Bengals
Stafford didn't have the best game, but he played well enough. Certainly well enough to win.

This game was lost by the special teams and defense, primarily secondary. Dalton goes 24 for 34? The Bengals have the ball 1/3 less then the Lions but still outscore them? Dalton gets sacked once in the game, when prior he was averaging 2-3 sacks every game?

October 20th, 2013, 11:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Blueskies wrote:
Stafford didn't have the best game, but he played well enough. Certainly well enough to win.

This game was lost by the special teams and defense, primarily secondary. Dalton goes 24 for 34? The Bengals have the ball 1/3 less then the Lions but still outscore them? Dalton gets sacked once in the game, when prior he was averaging 2-3 sacks every game?

Yes, every defensive unit has lived up to or surpassed expectations except for our CBs. Houston is a pretty good player but I think he'd be a great #2 corner.

October 21st, 2013, 1:19 am
NFL Veteran

Killwill25 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Yes, every defensive unit has lived up to or surpassed expectations except for our CBs. Houston is a pretty good player but I think he'd be a great #2 corner.

I don't think Houston ever fully recovered from his last injury. He was playing a lot better before he got hurt a couple games back.

October 21st, 2013, 10:53 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

rao wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

I don't think Houston ever fully recovered from his last injury. He was playing a lot better before he got hurt a couple games back.

you cant play DB successfully when the oppossing QB has all day to throw the ball. Dalton was throwing at will, with all the time he wanted. With the exception of Suh's sack, and Ansahs encroachment, a Lion never even got close to Dalton. I haver to give credit to Cinci's O-Line, as they shut down our preasure almost completely.

October 21st, 2013, 11:23 am

This was a whole team Loss. The O Had the Ball a ton and Moved it great all game except in scoring position/short yardage (sound familiar). In Addition while Drops weren't a problem, Stafford overthrowing Open Receivers on easy TDs cost us 11 pts and CJs Jumpball TD should have been an interception except it was CJ. The D had no Rush and couldn't stop AJ Green or the #2 receiver... and the 2 Worst plays of the game were both on Special Teams (Blocked FG, Shanked Punt).

October 21st, 2013, 1:01 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Modmin Dude

DJ-B wrote:
This was a whole team Loss. The O Had the Ball a ton and Moved it great all game except in scoring position/short yardage (sound familiar). In Addition while Drops weren't a problem, Stafford overthrowing Open Receivers on easy TDs cost us 11 pts and CJs Jumpball TD should have been an interception except it was CJ. The D had no Rush and couldn't stop AJ Green or the #2 receiver... and the 2 Worst plays of the game were both on Special Teams (Blocked FG, Shanked Punt).
IMO the 3rd CIN play of the game was one of the worst plays (if not THE worst) of the game..80+ yard TD pass? Reminded me too much of Matt Ryan's 1st NFL pass ](*,) While the Offense didn't score on every possession, they did move the ball relatively well. The Defense, on the other hand, seemed like the couldn't stop anything. So much for the 3rd stat they had a couple weeks ago, eh?

October 21st, 2013, 1:06 pm
Hall of Fame Player

On the bright side, I see only 1 more loss for the Lions in the regular season. I am 6-1 with my picks for the Lions so far.

Editing to correct a math error. LOL.

Last edited by BillySims on October 21st, 2013, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 21st, 2013, 1:22 pm

TheRealWags wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
IMO the 3rd CIN play of the game was one of the worst plays (if not THE worst) of the game..80+ yard TD pass? Reminded me too much of Matt Ryan's 1st NFL pass ](*,) While the Offense didn't score on every possession, they did move the ball relatively well. The Defense, on the other hand, seemed like the couldn't stop anything. So much for the 3rd stat they had a couple weeks ago, eh?

Long TD passes happen a lot more than Blocked FGs or Shanked Punts by "top" kickers with the game on the line. That said, I would still rate that as the 3rd worst play of the game.

October 21st, 2013, 1:29 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

regularjoe12 wrote:
rao wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

you cant play DB successfully when the oppossing QB has all day to throw the ball. Dalton was throwing at will, with all the time he wanted. With the exception of Suh's sack, and Ansahs encroachment, a Lion never even got close to Dalton. I haver to give credit to Cinci's O-Line, as they shut down our preasure almost completely.

I agree that the Cincy Oline played very well and that made things even worse. I just think Houston has been having trouble staying with anyone since his injury and he didn't seem to be getting beat so often before it. It could just be better competition, but I always felt like Houston was able to at least stay in step with most top WRs even though he still gave up plays.

October 21st, 2013, 1:32 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Well all the bad that happened aside, here's a few positives:

- Houston was pulled for a period and Slay was covering Green. Did pretty well and I think he'll eventually earn a full-time starting job. Houston isn't 100% and it's showing.
- When Reiff went down with a hammy, Waddle stepped in and played well. When Hilliard went out, Reiff came back at LT and Waddle played RT. All the pressure from there on came from the injured Reiff's side. I'm surprised an injured Reiff was preferred over a healthy Gandy.
- When the offense played aggressive they moved the ball well. When they went conservative, they stalled.
- CJ's TD grab over 3 defenders might have been luck on Stafford's part, but for the first time in awhile, they're taking chances down the field. That's been missing. Can't succeed if you never try.

Bears lost Cutler for next 4 weeks minimum, Briggs for 6-8. Packers lost Finley for a bit to add to their other injury woes.

October 21st, 2013, 2:18 pm

njroar wrote:
Well all the bad that happened aside, here's a few positives:

- Houston was pulled for a period and Slay was covering Green. Did pretty well and I think he'll eventually earn a full-time starting job. Houston isn't 100% and it's showing.
- When Reiff went down with a hammy, Waddle stepped in and played well. When Hilliard went out, Reiff came back at LT and Waddle played RT. All the pressure from there on came from the injured Reiff's side. I'm surprised an injured Reiff was preferred over a healthy Gandy.
- When the offense played aggressive they moved the ball well. When they went conservative, they stalled.
- CJ's TD grab over 3 defenders might have been luck on Stafford's part, but for the first time in awhile, they're taking chances down the field. That's been missing. Can't succeed if you never try.

Bears lost Cutler for next 4 weeks minimum, Briggs for 6-8. Packers lost Finley for a bit to add to their other injury woes.

I agree that the Calvin catch over 3 DB's was AMAZING...but i think Staff should get credit too for at least the throw (maybe not the read though lol). If he threw that ball a lil higher or lower there is no way that was a TD. He threw it in JUUUUUST the perfect spot to give Calvin the oportunity to show the NFL why he is the best in the biz! Amazing Catch by Calvin....pretty darned good toss by Staff though!

October 21st, 2013, 3:07 pm

Looked like a Hail Marry toss to a triple covered receiver. Bad Decision. Mediocre Throw. Int Saving Catching by CJ.

October 21st, 2013, 3:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

DJ-B wrote:
Looked like a Hail Marry toss to a triple covered receiver. Bad Decision. Mediocre Throw. Int Saving Catching by CJ.

I Agree with the decision, but the throw......man that was a beaut! at it's highest point ONLY Calvin could catch it! he never should have thrown that ball, but he threw it about as perfect as you can.

October 21st, 2013, 3:23 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

DJ-B wrote:

On 3rd and 18, I think that was a great decision. If they INT it they're at the 20, if Martin punts it they're at the 1-20, or you can hit the jackpot and get 6 which happened.

October 21st, 2013, 3:27 pm

Shotty wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

On 3rd and 18, I think that was a great decision. If they INT it they're at the 20, if Martin punts it they're at the 1-20, or you can hit the jackpot and get 6 which happened.

True. I Forgot it was 3rd-18 hence it was essentially just like a punt at worst as you pointed out. The decision to go Endzone wasnt bad.

I still dont see the throw as a beautiful thing. He Chucked a ball in Cjs general direction, Cj turned around and Jump-balled it. It was nothing like a target throw in a tight window or a back shoulder throw streaking down the sidelines. Every None Limp armed QB in the league can make that Throw, it was pedestrian. CJ just made great catch.

October 21st, 2013, 3:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next