View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Leyland Steping Down. 
Veteran General Manager

Post Leyland Steping Down.
YES!!!!!!!!!! NOW MAYBE THE TIGERS CAN FIND WAYS OF SCORING THAT DON'T REQUIRE HITTING A HOME RUN.

October 21st, 2013, 12:09 pm
Varsity Captain

Post Re: Leyland Steping Down.
Sometimes Leyland did somethings that really jerked my chain. Like his management of the pitching and the bench players. Other times it was as if he was the cat that invented the game.

JL did bring Detroit back to it's former greatness, with alittle help from DD and Mr Illitch.

He will be missed by most in the baseball world.

Finally, I don't know of a manager that could do a better moonwalk!

Who's next?

October 21st, 2013, 2:56 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

4 playoff appearances under Leyland, 4 total in the previous 60 years. And you're celebrating him retiring? lol

October 21st, 2013, 5:51 pm
RIP Killer

Ugh, billy had to be the one to make the initial post in this thread.

Anyway, I hope whatever guy they bring in will inject some youth into this team. Utilize the young guys, improve base running and get guys to steal and work counts a little better. I just sure as hell hope it's not McClendon, Brookens, or that other fat goofy chump who should have been fired 3 years ago. DD wanted Francona last year, but smokey wanted to stay. Man, Francona would have been sweet here.

October 22nd, 2013, 12:31 am
Veteran General Manager

conversion02 wrote:
Ugh, billy had to be the one to make the initial post in this thread.

Anyway, I hope whatever guy they bring in will inject some youth into this team. Utilize the young guys, improve base running and get guys to steal and work counts a little better. I just sure as hell hope it's not McClendon, Brookens, or that other fat goofy chump who should have been fired 3 years ago. DD wanted Francona last year, but smokey wanted to stay. Man, Francona would have been sweet here.

The bolded part is a big reason I wanted Leyland gone. Those are some of the most fundamental aspects of baseball. And under Leyland, they just weren't emphasized at all. With all the wasted at bats in the Leyland era, it's like they were discouraged. I guarantee the Tigers would not have lost half of the games that they lost 1-0 over the last couple of years if they had any clue about scratching out a run or 2 from playing smart situational hitting instead of just swinging for the fences in every single at bat.

I don't hate Jim Leyland. I'm sure he is a great human being. I just couldn't stand the way he managed a baseball team.

I hope Bruce Fields gets a shot at the job. He should have gotten the job over Trammell. Fields had the pelts on the wall. All be it, the pelts were all from managing in the Tigers minor league system. But, he won at every level in the minors while developing the talent that eventually made it to the Tigers or got traded away for established players.

October 22nd, 2013, 10:45 am
Heisman Winner

I like the idea of giving a younger guy a shot, someone like David Martinez from TB. I love Joe Maddon and he would be my number 1 choice with Ron Gardenhire being a close 2nd. Since both are pretty much off the table I would like one of there minions. David Martinez seems like the best choice of those underlings. Unfortunately I haven't heard his name mentioned at all up to this point. I'm sure Dave Dombrowski will make the best choice, there just isn't a name out there that really wows me though, which is why I wanted Leyland to return.

October 22nd, 2013, 8:10 pm
Varsity Captain

Yahoo Sports is saying that the favorite right now is former Tiger catcher Brad Asmus. Good choice, IMO.

October 22nd, 2013, 9:00 pm
Heisman Winner

Report are out now that Ausmus will be the new Manager, heading to Detroit to finish the deal today. I look forward to seeing what he brings to the table. Go Tigers

November 3rd, 2013, 9:31 am
RIP Killer

Not a big fan. No experience, not bilingual for half our clubhouse, limited ties to Detroit, etc.

November 3rd, 2013, 10:50 am
Heisman Winner

conversion02 wrote:
Not a big fan. No experience, not bilingual for half our clubhouse, limited ties to Detroit, etc.

I really don't care about the bilingual aspect of it, but his lack of managerial experience is a little concerning. Mediocre pro catchers seem to turn out to be great coaches, let's hope we can catch a little of that lightning in a bottle.

November 3rd, 2013, 11:05 am
League MVP

I have no idea what to expect. Generally I would think that bringing in an inexperienced guy to a team of superstars could be a mistake but I would think Dombrowski has a good handle on the clubhouse and how Ausmus would be able to fit in and help. Welcome back to Detroit and Go Tigers.

November 3rd, 2013, 9:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]