View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 6:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 42  Next
 Killer's Korner 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Killer's Korner
Sort of figured this would happen:

October 22nd, 2013, 11:58 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Yeah, they moved Ross to active roster on saturday, so that opened the spot back up.

October 22nd, 2013, 12:18 pm

Big news:

October 22nd, 2013, 1:27 pm

Bummer, but I guess he hadn't really been himself the past two seasons:

October 22nd, 2013, 2:00 pm
RIP Killer

I think releasing Scheffler was a foolish move. Am I the only one who thinks this way? They don't save a dime by releasing him, since they have to pay him the remainder of his salary due to his being on the opening day roster. Now they have only two TEs, eight WRs on the roster. Really?! I'd have waived Jeremy Ross before I released Scheffler. Scheff certainly wasn't having a great season, but leaving the team that thin at TE isn't a great idea, if you ask me.

October 23rd, 2013, 10:35 am
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
I think releasing Scheffler was a foolish move. Am I the only one who thinks this way? They don't save a dime by releasing him, since they have to pay him the remainder of his salary due to his being on the opening day roster. Now they have only two TEs, eight WRs on the roster. Really?! I'd have waived Jeremy Ross before I released Scheffler. Scheff certainly wasn't having a great season, but leaving the team that thin at TE isn't a great idea, if you ask me.

Scheffler was trying to come back from concussion symptoms and they came on like a day or two after he got hit. I'm sure this was more of a plan all along and just got moved up because of the injuries to the OTs.

October 23rd, 2013, 11:47 am

m2karateman wrote:

The timing did seem a bit questionable to me, but at the same time, Scheffler wasn't bringing much to the table when healthy, and we can't know what his true condition is.

October 23rd, 2013, 1:52 pm
RIP Killer

thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

The timing did seem a bit questionable to me, but at the same time, Scheffler wasn't bringing much to the table when healthy, and we can't know what his true condition is.

For the Lions to release him, he has to get clearance to play. I agree, he wasn't playing all that well. But still, only having two TEs on the roster seems foolish. Scheffler has had bouts of inconsistency in the past, so this was nothing new. I still think keeping 8 WRs is a head scratcher.

October 23rd, 2013, 3:21 pm
RIP Killer

m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

For the Lions to release him, he has to get clearance to play. I agree, he wasn't playing all that well. But still, only having two TEs on the roster seems foolish. Scheffler has had bouts of inconsistency in the past, so this was nothing new. I still think keeping 8 WRs is a head scratcher.

Have you seen our WRs? Most are built like TEs... :lol:

October 23rd, 2013, 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Have you seen our WRs? Most are built like TEs... :lol:

Tall? Some of them, yes. Built like a tight end? Not. Even. Close.

October 23rd, 2013, 8:09 pm
RIP Killer

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions' Jim Schwartz explains why he cut veteran Tony Scheffler

The Detroit Lions needed to add an offensive lineman for this week's game against the Dallas Cowboys. And that meant they needed to cut someone else.

Tony Scheffler was the odd man out.

The Lions decided they were best off moving forward with rookie Joseph Fauria as their primary pass-catching tight end, so they cut the veteran Scheffler instead.

Coach Jim Schwartz said it was a "difficult" decision, but with the team needing to add an offensive lineman, it was the best recourse.

"Where we are on the offensive line, we had a couple of guys that weren't able to finish the game and we needed to sign another guy," Schwartz said. "We had played the previous two games without Scheff, so we had sort of a plan for being able to deal with that, particularly in the short term.

"It's a very difficult situation. He has been a really productive player for us who made a lot of plays for us. We have to move on and we have to concentrate on the Cowboys."

Detroit has played most of the season without right tackle Jason Fox (knee), and lost right tackle Corey Hilliard (knee) and left tackle Riley Reiff (hamstring) to injuries last week against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Detroit added Barry Richardson to fortify the depth up front against Dallas, spelling the end of Scheffler's four years in Detroit.

He caught 113 passes in his full three seasons with the Lions, totaling 1,229 yards and eight touchdowns. But he caught just seven passes for 82 yards this season, and sustained at least his third concussion in four years on Oct. 6 against the Green Bay Packers.

Fauria has since bloomed in his stead, catching a rookie-best five touchdowns among his eight catches. That made Scheffler expendable.

Schwartz said it had nothing to do with Scheffler's productivity since sustaining a concussion against the Bears in 2011.

"I don't know -- I wouldn't pin in on that," he said. "I think he has been a good player over the course of his career. We certainly wish him the very best. We appreciate all that he has done for us."

October 24th, 2013, 9:20 am
Profile WWW

The odd man out would have been Ross, but he's required to be on active roster for 3 weeks minimum.

October 24th, 2013, 9:31 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
The odd man out would have been Ross, but he's required to be on active roster for 3 weeks minimum.

When did Patrick Edwards get put back on the roster? I thought he was waived a week or so ago?

October 24th, 2013, 10:28 am

Edwards was resigned to practice squad after he cleared waivers.

October 24th, 2013, 10:54 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Edwards was resigned to practice squad after he cleared waivers.

He's not shown as being on the practice squad, he's shown as being on the 53 man roster....at least it's that way on the Lions web site roster right now.

October 24th, 2013, 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 42  Next