View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Available WRs for Lions 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Available WRs for Lions
I think they should go young at this point as it looks like there won't be a whole lot out there on the trade market. They should snatch a Tavarres King off of the Broncos practice squad or Cobi Hamilton off the Bengals practice squad. Hamilton has issues catching the ball consistently and running routes but he's a burner. If they line him up on the field teams will have to keep a S back or risk getting torched on a fly pattern. King is the whole package with potential to be a solid #2 guy in the NFL but he had no shot at making a roster with Thomas, Decker, and Welker. At this point anything is better than Durham.

October 11th, 2013, 3:57 pm
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
I Agree about the Browns. They certainly arent considering trading him to us BEFORE their game vs us. But the Richardson trade although "crazy" when it happens was explained pretty well. He was a good Power runner, but Chudzinskis offense isnt built for a Power runner. They saw a chance to get a 1st rounder that they can use, vs a guy that they will never truly maximize his benefits in their scheme. I just think they will get a lower pick that they want, cuz Indy is solid.

They knew there wasn't any way that Indy was going to be picking top 10, unless Luck goes down with an injury. Still, to get a first rounder in return for a player who essentially has not done anything really spectacular is a no-brainer in my opinion. Richardson may excel in a different offense, but I don't know if Indy is that place. I personally think he is better suited for Pittsburgh's offense, or a team that runs a similar power offense.

October 11th, 2013, 10:09 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
I think Gordon may be the only legit option available for trade. I doubt Nicks is actually available. The Giants just traded for Jon Beason and Coughlin/Reese look more like they are trying to add to their team to right the ship not make moves for the future. They still have 2 more weeks till the deadline so maybe some of these bad teams will start putting players on the block, but right now I think it's slim pickings.

I don't see the Browns trading Gordon. They are looking at a 3-2 record, and Gordon is their best deep threat by far. Their trade of Trent Richardson was overblown as them giving up the season. Perhaps they saw it as an opportunity to get a first round pick in return for a player they feel wasn't playing up to his original draft status? Regardless, I think the Lions are SOL with the idea of trading for a player who will be a suitable #2 WR.

I'd say Gordon is more expensive now and probably not worth the risk at this point, but still available. Gordon will always be available for the same reason no one really wants to make the deal, he has got that 1 yr suspension hanging over his head if he makes another mistake. I totally agree with you that the Lions are SOL now. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of choices out there for trading partners and it's probably why Mayhew hasn't made a move for anyone this whole time.

October 11th, 2013, 10:14 pm
League MVP

sweetd20 wrote:
I think they should go young at this point as it looks like there won't be a whole lot out there on the trade market. They should snatch a Tavarres King off of the Broncos practice squad or Cobi Hamilton off the Bengals practice squad. Hamilton has issues catching the ball consistently and running routes but he's a burner. If they line him up on the field teams will have to keep a S back or risk getting torched on a fly pattern. King is the whole package with potential to be a solid #2 guy in the NFL but he had no shot at making a roster with Thomas, Decker, and Welker. At this point anything is better than Durham.

the point is about winning THIS season. the lions already have young developmental guys like edwards, broyles, fuller on the ps. the lions should be evaluating other young players that might be available anyway but they are extremely unlikely to make a big impact on the offense in 2013.

i think a guy like hakeem nicks could be a huge difference maker for the lions this season if they can make a trade. obviously it depends on a couple factors. what is the least the giants would take for him? the lions probably shouldnt be in the business of giving away 2nd rd picks. maybe it could be a 3rd that conditionally bumps up to a 2nd if the Lions are able to re-sign Nicks. the other factor is would Nicks sign with the Lions after the season, how much money does he expect and could the Lions make that fit under the cap. The way I think about it adding Nicks to the Lions significantly narrows maybe eliminates the gap bw the Lions skill players and the Packers. Johnson/Nicks/Bush w Bell in the backfield, Pettigrew at TE not too far off of Nelson/Cobb/Jones and Lacy, Finley. Rodgers is better than Stafford but the Lions line is probably a little better and then anything we get from Burleson or Broyles is just a luxury. Then I compare having Nicks in a productive part of his career for the rest of 2013 and a few more seasons with a 2nd-3rd rd WR pick. Nicks is a proven commodity vs Mayhew has to be able to find the right guy. Check his background (Titus Young), review his medicals (Ryan Bryoles) and evaluate his talent (Derrick Williams) - and those are only the known ways that Mayhew has failed with his picks. Even if the draft pick is the right guy he s probably not as good as Nicks until at least 2016. The last thing to evaluate is what other holes might the Lions have and need to fill in the 2014 season. Trading for Nicks eliminates a draft pick and spending money but what are the Lions needs. Safety spot is looking good. Houston is signed. Bentley at least had a good game vs GB and Slay needs more time to develop. All three will be on the 2014 Lions but they could stand to add at that position. LB the Lions are getting by with 2 starters and needing Palmer only in certain sets. They need depth guys, better late rd picks than Lewis or Whitehead. DL they probably need to add a DT or a DE with an early pick. Willie Young is looking like an inexpensive re-sign at this point. Taylor and Ansah are keepers. Offense, guards and center spot look okay to this point. Raiola at a lower price point is playing above average NFL center this season. Tackles have some sorting out to do, looks like bw Reiff/Waddle/Fox/Hilliard there is at least a RT and for the most part Reiff is handling LT to this point. QB is good and signed. RB is set for now. TE they might need a guy but probably dont need to break the bank and I see them re-upping Pettigrew for a reasonable price. WR if they land Nicks and sign him sets up nicely with Johnson/Nicks/Broyles/Burleson/Edwards. The tackle problem doesnt seem to be a problem the more playmakers out there on offense. the lions could focus there offseason on getting some corner help and drafting another passrusher. anyway, thats the way i see it right not but obviously things can change fast.

October 12th, 2013, 10:29 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I really think Hicks is a pipe dream at this point. The Giants aren't giving up on their season, they just made a trade to improve their rb situation and picked Jacobs up again. And resigning him to a contract would be very difficult if we plan on keeping Suh. Nicks is going to be paid next year and we are going going to be a team on a budget again. We shouldn't be broke like the last 2 years, but it don't see us having the money to pay a potential #1 wr enough to play at #2. And lastly, as has been pointed out here about Pett, the giants aren't going to let him go for less than what they would get for a comp pick, which should be roughly a 3rd rd pick.

Sadly Ogletree might just be our best option this year. I am interested in seeing him play after being with us for a month and playing with Calvin on the field. I did a bit of looking into on him and all his best games were when defenses had to focus on other players like des and Austin. With a healthy Calvin and Bush, he should thrive....but I'll hold all opinions about him until after our bye week.

October 12th, 2013, 10:59 am
League MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
I really think Hicks is a pipe dream at this point. The Giants aren't giving up on their season, they just made a trade to improve their rb situation and picked Jacobs up again. And resigning him to a contract would be very difficult if we plan on keeping Suh. Nicks is going to be paid next year and we are going going to be a team on a budget again. We shouldn't be broke like the last 2 years, but it don't see us having the money to pay a potential #1 wr enough to play at #2. And lastly, as has been pointed out here about Pett, the giants aren't going to let him go for less than what they would get for a comp pick, which should be roughly a 3rd rd pick.

Sadly Ogletree might just be our best option this year. I am interested in seeing him play after being with us for a month and playing with Calvin on the field. I did a bit of looking into on him and all his best games were when defenses had to focus on other players like des and Austin. With a healthy Calvin and Bush, he should thrive....but I'll hold all opinions about him until after our bye week.

i think the giants will be signing free agents of there own, they seem pretty unlikely to let nicks walk and not sign any other players. comp picks arent awarded based on a single player leaving its on the net loss through free agency. sign more free agents than you lose and you arent getting many comp picks

October 12th, 2013, 4:36 pm
QB Coach

Ok so I misread Kenny Britt's salary. We'd only owe him a little under 900,000, even less since 6 games are out of the way. The Titans want a 3rd for him, but reports are that a 5th is what it would take. He comes with a lot of baggage, but for a late round pick I might take a chance.

October 13th, 2013, 11:51 am
Hall of Fame Player

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Ok so I misread Kenny Britt's salary. We'd only owe him a little under 900,000, even less since 6 games are out of the way. The Titans want a 3rd for him, but reports are that a 5th is what it would take. He comes with a lot of baggage, but for a late round pick I might take a chance.

We don't possess a 5th round pick this year.

October 13th, 2013, 11:53 am
League MVP

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

maybe thats what they end up doing. britt doesnt have a lot of value, teams know he s done in tennessee. im pretty skeptical that he d help much, always hurt, off field issues, on field kind of a headcase. just doesnt seem like he can put it all together

October 13th, 2013, 12:07 pm
NFL Veteran

Britt has never been able to get past his knee problem. He is constantly hurt and is always having issues with swelling. They are lucky to have Delmas this deep into the year so far, I wouldn't roll the dice on another player that has a similar problem staying on the field. They already have Burleson taking up a roster spot and Broyles gets limited snaps they can't afford to have another WR taking up a spot on the roster that can't be on the field full time.

October 13th, 2013, 12:09 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Handicapping the Josh Gordon Derby
Posted by Mike Wilkening on October 21, 2013, 11:31 PM EDT

Trade rumors continue to swirl around Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, two clubs “have standing offers of a high pick and a player” for Gordon, the second-year receiver from Baylor. The Browns, however, are “balking,” Schefter reported Monday night.

There’s a lot to like about Gordon. He’s shown considerable potential in his first two NFL seasons, gaining 16.3 yards per catch. He’s only 22 years old. Also, interested teams surely have to like that he’s signed through 2015 at affordable rates ($825,604 in 2014, $1,068,406 in 2015, per Rotoworld.com figures).

However, Gordon served a two-game suspension for a violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, and any other missteps could lead to a one-year suspension.

Nevertheless, Gordon is an intriguing talent, a player who help quite a few teams, and his contract makes him easily movable if the Browns are so inclined. (Of course, in theory, this also drives up the cost for Gordon.)

After considering every team’s wide receiver situation, contending status and organizational philosophy, we narrowed the list of possible Gordon landing spots to 13 clubs. Here’s our list, ranked in order from the best fit on down:

1. Colts. G.M. Ryan Grigson traded a 2013 second-round pick for cornerback Vontae Davis and a 2014 first-rounder for running back Trent Richardson, so the high price of acquiring young talent doesn’t scare him or owner Jim Irsay. Also, Grigson and Browns CEO Joe Banner struck the Richardson deal. Finally, the Colts are down a key receiver with Reggie Wayne out for the season with an ACL tear.

2. 49ers. They have an extra pick in the second and third rounds in 2014, and there is a need at wide receiver.

3. Patriots. Gordon would add some field-stretching ability to their offense, and they have been willing to make a big deal over the years. That said, thus far, they have leaned on the receivers they have drafted and developed.

4. Lions. Could you imagine Gordon opposite of Calvin Johnson?

5. Panthers. After a 1-3 start, the Panthers have won two straight. On their best, they look like a playoff contender. Gordon would give them a little more playmaking punch.

6. Redskins. Washington could use another receiving threat, and Gordon was a collegiate teammate of Robert Griffin III.

7. Jets. They are slightly similar to the Panthers; another piece on offense would help, and who’s to say they can’t contend for a playoff spot?

8. Eagles. Gordon would add even more speed to a talented offense.

9. Chargers. The Chargers could use a deep threat.

10. Seahawks. Now we’re getting into real long shot territory. That said, the Seahawks are willing to make a big splash.

11. Chiefs. At 7-0, they probably wouldn’t be inclined to change much.

12. Falcons. Getting Roddy White healthy might be their big move.

13. Packers. They could use a wide receiver, but trades aren’t their thing. They prefer to develop their own talent. With Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, they have that luxury.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... /#comments

October 22nd, 2013, 10:17 am
QB Coach

Anybody know anything about Nathan Palmer? He was and UDFA for San Fran, then got picked up by the Colts last season. Stayed with them till recently, where I believe he is shopping around, or has been shopped around. He's gone to Denver and Miami at this point, and I know him personally, came out of NIU. THoughts?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 22nd, 2013, 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7