View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Schwartz: Officials told him he couldn’t challenge play.... 
QB Coach

Post Re: Schwartz: Officials told him he couldn’t challenge play.
sweetd20 wrote:
As far as "good coaches" like Belichick go I believe even he didn't know all the rules this past weekend when he had his players push another player towards the line during a FG attempt. Not knowing this rule cost the Patriots the game as the Jets had another try at the game winning FG.

I was going to say the same thing. The problem here is that the nfl rule book has gotten so damn complex that almost nobody knows all the details of it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 22nd, 2013, 5:19 am
Player of the Year - Defense

sweetd20 wrote:
As far as "good coaches" like Belichick go I believe even he didn't know all the rules this past weekend when he had his players push another player towards the line during a FG attempt. Not knowing this rule cost the Patriots the game as the Jets had another try at the game winning FG.

You can't claim to not know the rule when they were warned about it earlier in the game. Belichick quoted the first version of the rule, but he knew what the rule was. The refs warned them specifically earlier in the same game. The Jets had issued a warning to the refs because they broke the same rule the previous week vs the Saints and it wasn't called.

October 22nd, 2013, 9:22 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Well, I guess you guys see things in a differ light than I do, I have developed a zero tolerance for Swartz's knowledge of the rules. I didn't start ths critical...his mistakes throughout the years have spurred this on. IMO anything less than a full blown screamfest at the refs looks like ( at the very least) he isn't sure what the rule is. I have no more patience for that.

Ok so maybe my frustration is causing me to be harsher than usual, but (once again IMO) he is all out of passes, and unless he aggressively displays he really knows what's going on durring those "gray area" plays I will not have too many kind words for him anymore.

What it looked like to me: " we'll gee are you sure I couldn't maybe have this one looked at? Really? Aw darn..."

What I would have preferred it looking like: " WHAT THE (censor bleep) DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T CHALLENGE THAT? YOU BETTER GO ASK YOUR BOSS BEFORE I (censor bleep) THE (censor bleeping beep)!

I'd rather see him start to look like he knows, more than him look like he is second guessing. He's failed too many times in the past for me to give any more benefits of the doubt. (even if I'm being a tad unfair at times.)

October 22nd, 2013, 7:02 pm
NFL Veteran

regularjoe12 wrote:
Well, I guess you guys see things in a differ light than I do, I have developed a zero tolerance for Swartz's knowledge of the rules. I didn't start ths critical...his mistakes throughout the years have spurred this on. IMO anything less than a full blown screamfest at the refs looks like ( at the very least) he isn't sure what the rule is. I have no more patience for that.

Ok so maybe my frustration is causing me to be harsher than usual, but (once again IMO) he is all out of passes, and unless he aggressively displays he really knows what's going on durring those "gray area" plays I will not have too many kind words for him anymore.

What it looked like to me: " we'll gee are you sure I couldn't maybe have this one looked at? Really? Aw darn..."

What I would have preferred it looking like: " WHAT THE (censor bleep) DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T CHALLENGE THAT? YOU BETTER GO ASK YOUR BOSS BEFORE I (censor bleep) THE (censor bleeping beep)!

I'd rather see him start to look like he knows, more than him look like he is second guessing. He's failed too many times in the past for me to give any more benefits of the doubt. (even if I'm being a tad unfair at times.)

If Schwartz said that he would have been penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct and that would have helped nothing.

October 22nd, 2013, 7:35 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

If Schwartz said that he would have been penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct and that would have helped nothing.

I'm sorry, when was the last time a head coach was penalized for yelling at a ref? Cower is what I remember...and he touched the ref.

And let's not act like we don't have a feisty coach who doesn't do his own hollering. If he knew the ref was wrong, where was his fire?

To me he looked unsure. Take that how you want, but I don't for one second think he looks good on this one.

October 22nd, 2013, 8:17 pm
NFL Veteran

regularjoe12 wrote:
rao wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

I'm sorry, when was the last time a head coach was penalized for yelling at a ref? Cower is what I remember...and he touched the ref.

And let's not act like we don't have a feisty coach who doesn't do his own hollering. If he knew the ref was wrong, where was his fire?

To me he looked unsure. Take that how you want, but I don't for one second think he looks good on this one.

The ref was standing right next to him, Schwartz may yell and holler but I've never seen him do it that close to a ref. This isn't Cowers NFL anymore, I sure as hell wouldn't test your idea of what a coach should do in today's NFL. Roger would probably have him fined like crazy and I really don't think the refs these days would stand for it either. He took the most sensible action possible, he doesn't deserve any ridicule for that especially when he makes actual bad decisions so often.

October 23rd, 2013, 1:08 am
RIP Killer

regularjoe12 wrote:

I agree with you that Scwhartz is out of free passes, and that he has made too many mistakes in the past....or even in the Cincy game. However, his yelling at the referee or official nearest him wouldn't have changed anything. I've never seen an instance where a coach yelled and carried on, then the officials changed their minds. If anything, I believe a calm yet insistant approach is more likely to cause the officials to rethink their position.

As I said previously, he asked the official twice. 'I can't challenge that?' When you are told no twice by the people who are SUPPOSED to know the rules inside and out, because that is what they get paid for, it's usually a good idea to back down at that time. There was more game to play, and the officials were already showing some bias against the Lions on their calls.

It's like having a police officer tell you that it's illegal to park somewhere. You can bicker and argue all you want, but even if you are right they are still going to write you the ticket if you don't move the car. You may go to court and prove you're right, but at that point you are more likely to believe the cop and move your car than chance the cop being right and you getting written up for more than just the parking ticket.

Schwartz got burned last year for throwing the flag due to a STUPID, STUPID rule and some REALLY BAD officiating. Once bitten.....

October 23rd, 2013, 10:05 am
RIP Killer

agreed, this is the refs not knowing the rule (and that is their sole job), not Coach Schwartz.

October 23rd, 2013, 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

so do we bring back the lockout refs since the professionals aren't getting it done? Just kidding!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

October 23rd, 2013, 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2