View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 8:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Tigers Fire Trammell 
Modmin Dude

Post Tigers Fire Trammell
http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm6407_20051003.htm

Quote:
Tigers fire Trammell

Monday, October 3, 2005

BY JOHN LOWE
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The Tigers fired manager Alan Trammell on Monday morning.

Trammell apparently got the word in a meeting with club president and general manager Dave Dombowski.

The Tigers couldn?t name an immediate successor to Trammell. They must have a search for the job and must consider minorities, according to hiring rules for all clubs laid down by commissioner Bud Selig.

Trammell, the team?s long-time shortstop icon, managed the club for three seasons. The Tigers took a big step forward under him last season when they improved from 43 to 72 wins.

The club appeared ready to improve on its 72-90 finish of a year ago when it reached late August this season a game under .500. Then the Tigers collapsed over the final quarter of the season and finished 20 games under .500 _ and with one fewer win than last season.

Dombrowski acknowledged Sunday that the Tigers? rampant injuries affected the club. But those injuries weren?t enough for him to exonerate Trammell.

In announcing Trammell?s dismal, Dombrowski released this statement:

?The Detroit Tigers would like to thank Alan Trammell for everything he has done for the organization as manager. You will not find a more dedicated, hard-working and respected individual that cares more about the Tigers and his coaching staff. However, for the Tigers to reach the next level, I feel it is appropriate to make a change at this time.?

Trammell had one year left on his contract. The Tigers said he had been offered a position within the organization as a special assistant to the general manager. The team scheduled an early afternoon news conference at Comerica Park. Trammell is not expected to talk with the media until Tuesday.

Is it normal for someone to be given a 'consolation prize' type of position??? Dumars made a similar offer to LB

October 3rd, 2005, 12:55 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

No, it is not "normal" procedure, per se, but usually when it refers to an individual who is well respected within the organiztion, it's something that most teams offer. It is hardly ever talked about because most coaches are too proud to take the team up on the offer.

Tim

October 3rd, 2005, 4:06 pm
Modmin Dude

No, it is not "normal" procedure, per se, but usually when it refers to an individual who is well respected within the organiztion, it's something that most teams offer. It is hardly ever talked about because most coaches are too proud to take the team up on the offer.

GOtcha, thanks

October 3rd, 2005, 4:22 pm
Heisman Winner

All I can say is, Good riddance to bad rubbish

October 3rd, 2005, 4:48 pm

Well, it's being reported that the Tiger's are going to interview Jim Leyland this evening. I like Leyland but he has not coached in a few years and is 60 years old. If we are not worried about age, I would rather have Piniella, but that is just my opinion. Here is the article....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2179572

Tim

October 3rd, 2005, 4:50 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I would like to get a young coach for the Tigers. The Red Wings just recently got a younger coach in Babcok and the Pistons in Flip Saunders. I know the Tigers aren't an experienced team, but I think a young coach could really spark them and energize them. I'm not saying a young coach, with inexperience however. He definitely needs to have experience and credentials, but hopefully he'll be under the age of 50. Anyways, do you guys know of any young talent out there to replace Trammell ?

October 3rd, 2005, 5:06 pm
Profile YIM
Modmin Dude

October 3rd, 2005, 5:14 pm
QB Coach

Dave Lewis did this with the Wings, accept the lower position as a scout within the organization.

I'd never do something like that.

October 3rd, 2005, 10:08 pm
Profile WWW

It's being reported that Jim Leyland has accepted the managers job and a news conference is scheduled for later today.......

Tim

October 4th, 2005, 3:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]