View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 31st, 2014, 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Gameday: Cowboys vs. Lions 
League MVP

Post Re: Gameday: Cowboys vs. Lions
QB - Stafford obviously with a big game in this one. There were some missed throws early and the 2nd INT by Lee was a big mix of problems. Throw was late and he obviously didnt see that Lee was zeroed in on the slant. The prior big play slant at least pulled the LBs up with a quick play fake. Cant go to the slant over the top of coverage too frequently without getting burned. Big positives were the big deep throws with power and accuracy late in the game but what I saw as the biggest sign was 1) how Stafford led the team in the 4th Qtr, keeping things in order, keeping the tempo up and leading with a little bit of fire and 2) pocket awareness and mobility was excellent, he bought himself time on many occassions, stepped it up in the pocket, booted outside, rushed for a big first down in the red zone. The QB plunge to win it at the end was the sign of a winner.

RB - Bush made some nice runs but running with the ball gripped only by fingers and fumbling is inexcusable. He s a decent bw the tackles runner, better than I thought he would be but when they are 2nd and goal, 3rd and 1 I'd prefer that Joique Bell get the majority of those carries bc he hits the hole quicker and with more power compared to Bush and Id rather Bell take that punishment to keep Bush healthy. Riddick had some good opportunities and its a good sign that he s even making it on the field and that he s beginning to be worked into the gameplans. Not bad for a 6th rd rookie.

TE - Pettigrew created some nice holes playing the H-Back type role where he is in motion and ends up pulling through the hole to spring some big plays. The dropped ball on what everyone thought was the Lions last shot to win was pretty bad bc it looked like Pettigrew did the hard part prying the ball in traffic away from 2 defenders but dropped it as he hit the ground. Overall a pretty good game for him though. Didnt see much of Fauria in the passing game this week bc Calvin was being left alone in man.

OL - For the most part they were winning the battles. Warford jumping first play of the game was not a good sign but he made some nice blocks downfield and even showed a little acceleration on of them. Waddle held up much better this game than his first start. The whole unit benefited from Dallas missing Ware, Spencer, etc and then playing vanilla in obvious passing situations. Dallas didnt quite attack them the way that they should have maybe bc of using mostly reserve personnel up front. Sims play seems to be slipping a little but he did well as did Raiola. I thought there were even more opportunities in the run game had the Lions used the runners a little more situationally though I understand they may lose the element of surprise at times should they do that.

DL - The defense was tough all game. Devin Taylor has been playing some quality snaps for a few weeks now even if he s not the one racking up stats he s helping his team. Fairley and Suh clogged the run game effectively but didnt get after the passer quite enough. Fluellen and Mosley in doses are doing a good job also. Idonije held his own and Young loses a little bit of his passrush ability playing every down but he s taking care of his responsibilities within the scheme. Im not a big fan of the zone blitz stuff they do with Ansah and Younf from time to time. SOme kudos to Idonije for playing DT at times allowing Suh to play outside and the lions to run some stunts.

LB - Levy was getting blocked too frequently in the run game (though the team didnt give up a whole lot of rush yards) but had a huge hit on a stuff late and is doing a good job in coverage. Tulloch wasnt really all that much better but again solid in coverage. Palmer had a few nice tackles both vs run and in coverage though he doesnt get the same snaps as the other two. McIntosh made a key 3rd down tackle late in the game that allowed the Lions to decline the holding penalty on Tyron Smith and preserve time for the winning drive.

S - they were excellent for the 1st 3 quarters. Stuffing the run behind a fair amount of Cunningham blitz packages and at the same time keeping Romo from throwing to Bryant and Williams. Then Slay got burned by Williams and Quinn couldnt tackle him deep. Bryant was able to split bw Mathis and Delmas on the other side. Chris Houston had a much better game after being benched a week ago. You hate the two big TD plays especially at that time in the game but overall the secondary did limit the dallas run and pass game.

ST - Ross seems to have a little more speed and agility than Spurlock and we didnt really see what Broyles can do but he fielded the punts appropriately. Martin boomed a couple and just missed pinning the Cowboys deep inside the 5 but the Lions gave up a lil too much to Harris on kick returns. Akers made his kicks. Hopefully one of these days the Lions can get there hands on one of the long FGs that they allow and utilize some of the height on the DL.

Coaching: Looking at one game its hard to say if the turnovers are a result of lack of attention to detail or just a fluke type game from the team's best playes. 2 Turnovers on Calvin, 1 on Stafford, 1 on Bush. The Bush play was the most inexcusable bc he has no business ever holding the ball like that ever. Still the gameplanning on defense was outstanding and the Lions D was dominating much of the game. Offensively, the Lions went for nearly 700 yards limited mostly by there own turnovers so obviously the play calls were working. I did like the aggressiveness at the end of the 1st half even after the near pick 6 by Stafford, the early 4th down call for a TD to Calvin was great but why not try it again in similar field position in the 4th quarter to try to take the lead rather than kick a 20 yd field goal.

October 27th, 2013, 8:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Wow, just wow. Im that asshiole that left the game early angry (figuratively of course). When they turned it over on downs with 90 seconds left i turned off the stream and went to play video games to take out my frustrations.

I Cant believe they came back to win that. Still upset that we didnt win by 3 TDs like the stats say we should, but I cant believe it.

Go Lions.

October 27th, 2013, 8:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

mlive reporting Broyles went down with torn Achilles tendon. Thats a season ender again. Could be a career ender for him given his other injuries as well. Maybe a problem with pushing him on the field too soon in recovery from other injuries or maybe his tendons and ligaments arent quite strong enough for his quickness, speed, etc.

i seriously doubt the lions ever get anything meaningful out of him but lets just wish him well maybe he ll be back at training camp next season.

October 27th, 2013, 8:30 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Probably better it happened before the trade deadline than after. At least can make a move if they need too.

October 27th, 2013, 8:43 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Man, what a game! I wish I could have been in chat today. But, I had to drive all day. I was getting angry and yelling at my radio to quit turning the stinking ball over.

But, the Lions just have a knack for last minute wins against Dallas. This one had to hurt. LOL. This one was like the Lions walked up to the Cowboys and punched their fists through the Cowboys Chest walls, grabbed their hearts and ripped them out and held them in front of their eyes as it beat it last beat as they slump to the ground. LOL. Man, I hate the Cowboys. Fantastic win. I hate that it was that close. But, it's great because Dallas had to be thinking they had this one in the bank already. Best win of the season so far.

On the other hand, without that holding call on Dallas, we would be burning Lions jersey's in effigy right now. What a difference a few seconds make.

October 27th, 2013, 10:33 pm
RIP Killer

A few of my observations from this game:

Bill Bentley - This guy just frustrates me to no end. He has built himself a reputation, I'll bet, among the NFL officials for being a 'gripper'. He holds opposing receivers quite a bit, so the officials are watching him specifically for that. He needs to start playing cleaner to clear that reputation.

Reggie Bush - I realize I'll probably get jumped on for this, but I don't think he's all that and a bag of chips. He runs scared. Far too often he isn't willing to just plow forward when there's nothing available and get what he can. He dances, he jumps, he runs out of bounds.....this guy is NOT Barry Sanders, but at times he seems to think he is. He's got great speed, great lateral movement, but there comes a time when you take what's available and accept it for what it is. His ball security sucks, and he needs to run with more of an attitude.

Matt Stafford - Had his best game of the season, in my opinion. He threw more consistently, threw with authority and made some really good decisions. The first pick wasn't his fault at all. CJ just let that ball bounce right out of his hands. No excuse for that, despite his MONSTER day receiving. The second pick, however, was 100% Stafford's fault. He immediately stared right at Ross after the snap, and Lee read him like a dimestore novel. Stafford DID run down Lee to prevent the TD. I think that act may have earned him a great deal of respect with some of his teammates.

Nick Fairley - Why is this guy still listed at under 300 lbs.? He's gotta be at least 315 to 330 lbs on any given day.

Brandon Pettigrew - Has REALLY stepped up his game the last three or four weeks. I was HIGHLY impressed with the catch he made early in the game where he left his feet and essentially pulled the ball down with one hand and secured the catch. I don't know what has motivated him or got him to improve his receiving, but it's been nice to see.

Joseph Fauria - What happened to him today? I barely remember seeing him on the field.

October 27th, 2013, 10:50 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Fauria blew a couple of blocks early, so I think that limited his time on the field. Saw much more sets with 4 wide as opposed to 2 TE sets. I also think because the Cowboys decided to go 1-1 with CJ, they weren't getting the looks to take advantage of his skill set, which is pretty limited. I'd expect a bigger dose against the Bears in two weeks.

October 27th, 2013, 10:53 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
A few of my observations from this game:

Bill Bentley - This guy just frustrates me to no end. He has built himself a reputation, I'll bet, among the NFL officials for being a 'gripper'. He holds opposing receivers quite a bit, so the officials are watching him specifically for that. He needs to start playing cleaner to clear that reputation.

Reggie Bush - I realize I'll probably get jumped on for this, but I don't think he's all that and a bag of chips. He runs scared. Far too often he isn't willing to just plow forward when there's nothing available and get what he can. He dances, he jumps, he runs out of bounds.....this guy is NOT Barry Sanders, but at times he seems to think he is. He's got great speed, great lateral movement, but there comes a time when you take what's available and accept it for what it is. His ball security sucks, and he needs to run with more of an attitude.

Matt Stafford - Had his best game of the season, in my opinion. He threw more consistently, threw with authority and made some really good decisions. The first pick wasn't his fault at all. CJ just let that ball bounce right out of his hands. No excuse for that, despite his MONSTER day receiving. The second pick, however, was 100% Stafford's fault. He immediately stared right at Ross after the snap, and Lee read him like a dimestore novel. Stafford DID run down Lee to prevent the TD. I think that act may have earned him a great deal of respect with some of his teammates.

Nick Fairley - Why is this guy still listed at under 300 lbs.? He's gotta be at least 315 to 330 lbs on any given day.

Brandon Pettigrew - Has REALLY stepped up his game the last three or four weeks. I was HIGHLY impressed with the catch he made early in the game where he left his feet and essentially pulled the ball down with one hand and secured the catch. I don't know what has motivated him or got him to improve his receiving, but it's been nice to see.

Joseph Fauria - What happened to him today? I barely remember seeing him on the field.

I agree Bush is trying to do too much with the ball, but I don't see how he runs scared. He isn't afraid to go straight up the middle and when the line is able to open a hole on an inside run he takes it with no hesitation. The line really never creates good lanes unless they run behind Warford.

October 27th, 2013, 11:07 pm
QB Coach

Pett did make some good plays but almost cost us the game again with a late drop. Stafford perfectly threaded the ball between two defenders and Pett had it in his hands only to lose control on his way to the ground. Yes his first catch was spectacular but he's gotta cure the drops.

October 28th, 2013, 12:14 am
QB Coach

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Pett did make some good plays but almost cost us the game again with a late drop. Stafford perfectly threaded the ball between two defenders and Pett had it in his hands only to lose control on his way to the ground. Yes his first catch was spectacular but he's gotta cure the drops.

I actually don't think that last one was so much of a drop. Yes in slo-mo it looked like a drop, but in real time speed that ball deflected off two defenders and then hit Pettigrew's hands. That's a though catch. Only guys who have great hands will make those ricochet catches, and Pett definitely doesn't have great hands.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

October 28th, 2013, 4:20 am
3rd Round Selection

Blimey. What a game. This team doesn't half make it rough on its fans :D

Congrats to CJ for the most receiving yards ever in 60mins of play, second most in a game ever (Filpper Anderson's record was set in an OT game - at the end of regulation, he had less yards than CJ).

Good game by the D, too. Yes the 2 big TDs were frustrating, but other than that they bottled up Dallas and ultimately gave us a chance to win even with the TOs.

Still looks the same to me as it did at the start of the season: I can see us beating any team on our schedule, I can see us losing to any team on our schedule. 13-3 and a first round bye, or 9-7 and just missing out on the playoffs, or anything in between, wouldn't surprise me.

Got to say I think Mayhew has well and truly gotten himself off the hot seat. This team is talented enough to contend. Seeing players like Devin Taylor, Theo Riddick, Fauria etc have a positive impact is great.

Schwartz needs to show that he can convert that talent into a decent run. Yes the errors yesterday should be put down to players not executing, but that's becoming too much of a theme for this team.

October 28th, 2013, 8:05 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

CAPTION CONTEST:

October 28th, 2013, 8:22 am
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
I agree Bush is trying to do too much with the ball, but I don't see how he runs scared. He isn't afraid to go straight up the middle and when the line is able to open a hole on an inside run he takes it with no hesitation. The line really never creates good lanes unless they run behind Warford.

There were a number of times during yesterdays game he chose to run out of bounds rather than taking on a defender and gaining additional yards. There were times when he would just sort of fall down onto the turf rather than try to drive forward to gain additional yards. I'm not talking about being scared of running up the middle. I'm talking about times when he needs to simply run into and through a defender rather than avoiding being tackled or hit by either running parallel to the LOS and out of bounds, or falling to the turf. And all that is aside from those times when he is dancing around in the backfield. Bush has a great skill set for this offense, so I'm not saying he was a bad pickup for this team. But he needs to take what a defense will give him, and quit either trying to do too much or just giving up on gaining as much yardage as he can. On one play yesterday, he was about two yards away from a first down, and rather than trying to drive forward through a defender or two to get that first down, he chose to run sideways and out of bounds short of the sticks. That, to me, is inexcusable. You're a *$^@# football player in the NFL! Run like you got a pair!

October 28th, 2013, 8:49 am
RIP Killer

EPIC!

October 28th, 2013, 8:53 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Pablo wrote:
EPIC!

Strutting like a peacock around the water cooler, are we?

October 28th, 2013, 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next