View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Projecting out the second half of the season... 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Projecting out the second half of the season...
This is probably really foolish on my part, but why not...

I'm going to say the NFC looks like this:

1 New Orleans Saints
2 49ers
3 Packers
4 Cowboys
5 Seahawks
6 Lions

Which would mean the Lions play @GB in the first round of the playoffs -- maybe the Saints or the 49ers. Definitely don't think they can win the division, unfortunately. But either way, I think a WC spot is definitely a lock. The NFC is pretty terrible; whichever team comes out of the East won't even deserve to be there.

October 28th, 2013, 2:14 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Projecting out the second half of the season...
Blueskies wrote:
This is probably really foolish on my part, but why not...

I'm going to say the NFC looks like this:

1 New Orleans Saints
2 49ers
3 Packers
4 Cowboys
5 Seahawks
6 Lions

Which would mean the Lions play @GB in the first round of the playoffs -- maybe the Saints or the 49ers. Definitely don't think they can win the division, unfortunately. But either way, I think a WC spot is definitely a lock. The NFC is pretty terrible; whichever team comes out of the East won't even deserve to be there.

I think pretty similarly, with one exception. Swap Seattle and the 9ers. Right now Seattle is on top and I think they will stay there. I also dont think its a lock that GB takes the division. With the injuries they have, they are bound to lose a game or two they normally wouldnt.

October 28th, 2013, 2:19 pm
RIP Killer

Looking at the Wildcards...

Don't sleep on the Panthers, nobody is talking about them but they do face the Saints twice still in addition to the six win Patriots and 49ers.

The Cards have a pretty easy schedule (other than the Colts) until the last two weeks when the face the Seahawks and Niners.

The Bears don't play a winning team outside of the division, but do face the Pack twice including their next game. They lose that and fall to 4-4 meaning the next week at home against the Lions could be their season.

Then you have the 3 win Rams (without Bradford) and Eagles (without Vick short term).

After that, it is garbage.

October 28th, 2013, 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

I am as negative as they come, so don't accuse me of having my head in the clouds because of one big win.
Having said that, if the Lions don't turn the ball over and execute offensively, they could take Green Bay. I am not going to give up on that, well not until after Thanksgiving, anyway. I like our schedule, and we have GB at home on National TV. new_Eyecrazy.gif new_Eyecrazy.gif

October 28th, 2013, 4:39 pm
RIP Killer

The difference between the Lions and the Packers is execution, pure and simple. The Packers do it better than the Lions. For whatever reason, whether it be superior coaching, better leadership in the locker room or just something in the cheese, the Packers players tend to limit their mistakes and don't do many stupid things during the course of a game.

While many folks yesterday stated that the second pick Stafford threw was more a scheme issue than his making a poor throw, I am among the minority in saying that the pick was 100% on Stafford. Not only did Stafford not read the defense the way he should have, but he stared down his receiver, which is how Sean Lee knew where and when that ball was being thrown. Immediately after the snap Stafford looked to his right and never took his eyes off that receiver (Ross). Rarely does Aaron Rodgers make a mistake like that. It was one of the very few mistakes Stafford made, but it could have been a contributing factor in a loss if the Lions didn't score at the end.

All players make mistakes from time to time. Calvin made two biggies yesterday among his mammoth catches. His fumble was huge, and the first pick Stafford threw was 100% Calvin's fault. It happens. But on the Lions it seems to almost cause further breakdowns in other players performance. As a team, they must over come this, particularly against the league's elite teams, who seem to already have that important ingredient in their team chemistry.

October 28th, 2013, 6:12 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
The difference between the Lions and the Packers is execution, pure and simple. The Packers do it better than the Lions. For whatever reason, whether it be superior coaching, better leadership in the locker room or just something in the cheese, the Packers players tend to limit their mistakes and don't do many stupid things during the course of a game.

While many folks yesterday stated that the second pick Stafford threw was more a scheme issue than his making a poor throw, I am among the minority in saying that the pick was 100% on Stafford. Not only did Stafford not read the defense the way he should have, but he stared down his receiver, which is how Sean Lee knew where and when that ball was being thrown. Immediately after the snap Stafford looked to his right and never took his eyes off that receiver (Ross). Rarely does Aaron Rodgers make a mistake like that. It was one of the very few mistakes Stafford made, but it could have been a contributing factor in a loss if the Lions didn't score at the end.

All players make mistakes from time to time. Calvin made two biggies yesterday among his mammoth catches. His fumble was huge, and the first pick Stafford threw was 100% Calvin's fault. It happens. But on the Lions it seems to almost cause further breakdowns in other players performance. As a team, they must over come this, particularly against the league's elite teams, who seem to already have that important ingredient in their team chemistry.

Calvin's fumble was a good hit by the defense and was no fault of his. The defender put his helmet directly on the ball, it wasn't the same as Bush's brain fart after smartly switching the side he was carrying the ball.

October 28th, 2013, 7:37 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

Calvin's fumble was a good hit by the defense and was no fault of his. The defender put his helmet directly on the ball, it wasn't the same as Bush's brain fart after smartly switching the side he was carrying the ball.

I disagree. The ball was leaving Calvin's hands before the hit took place. At first I thought the same as you, but I've watched the play numerous times in slow motion and I am convinced the hit came after the ball was already in the air.

October 28th, 2013, 8:33 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I disagree. The ball was leaving Calvin's hands before the hit took place. At first I thought the same as you, but I've watched the play numerous times in slow motion and I am convinced the hit came after the ball was already in the air.

I didn't see the ball coming out before the hit. The two slow-mo angles I've seen both show him getting hit right on the elbow forcing his elbow up and dislodging the ball. Maybe he could have tucked the ball a little better, but I just don't see how anyone is going to hold onto the ball when his arm is hit like that.

October 28th, 2013, 11:22 pm

He even admitted he should have just dove to the ground. He tried to spin and get more yards and got hit. He took responsibility for it.

October 28th, 2013, 11:23 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:

the bush turnover was inexcusable. stafford s was pretty close to inexcusable also though not as bad as bush's. calvin's i guess tend to happen but there s no way all that should happen in one game.

October 28th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Stafford had both CJ and Ross on that side. It was a quick read and he was going to hit CJ on the out, but Ross's corner got knocked off. He never saw Lee. He didn't stare him down, Lee just saw the corner get knocked off and filled the gap perfectly.

October 29th, 2013, 12:13 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Stafford had both CJ and Ross on that side. It was a quick read and he was going to hit CJ on the out, but Ross's corner got knocked off. He never saw Lee. He didn't stare him down, Lee just saw the corner get knocked off and filled the gap perfectly.

Sorry, but Matt never took his eyes off his receiver, right from the snap. Immediately after the snap he looked right and his head never wavered from that position until he threw the ball. Now, I understand that on a quick hitter like that, it's near impossible to look off a defender. And if the Cowboys had dialed up a blitz with Lee, or had him dropping into middle zone, he never gets there. It was a risky throw and things just lined up well for the Cowboys.

Lee didn't see anything but Matt's eyes. He didn't see the corner get knocked off. The corner was playing behind the receiver, he didn't get bumped or knocked off coverage. He had the coverage he was supposed to have, no differently than the coverage Carr had on CJ when Calvin got his 87 yard catch. The difference was that Lee didn't read Stafford's eyes quickly enough in that one, then Carr missed the tackle and the safety whiffed as well.

The Lions just went to that well one too many times.

October 29th, 2013, 8:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]