View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New 2014 NFL Mock Draft 
Team MVP

Post Re: New 2014 NFL Mock Draft
rao wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Clowney still goes No.1 overall. Once the combine happens and if he does well in his interviews he'll be right back on the top of the list of prospects. He's getting a lot of heat right now, but he still has a lot of good tape from his previous years.

I remember last year when Quinton Coples had some great game tape, but somewhat turned it off in his last year in college. Some questions of motivation and heart were arising. Now, I understand Coples isnt Clowney, but just reminds me of a similar situation, and Coples ended up going 16th overall.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

October 12th, 2013, 4:17 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Clowney still goes No.1 overall. Once the combine happens and if he does well in his interviews he'll be right back on the top of the list of prospects. He's getting a lot of heat right now, but he still has a lot of good tape from his previous years.

I remember last year when Quinton Coples had some great game tape, but somewhat turned it off in his last year in college. Some questions of motivation and heart were arising. Now, I understand Coples isnt Clowney, but just reminds me of a similar situation, and Coples ended up going 16th overall.

I think teams are understanding that if the player lacks personal motivation, it's the single biggest thing that will prevent that player from achieving his potential. Clowney may be talented, but his apparent diva attitude is going to seriously hurt his draft stock. Besides all that, I would have to imagine that the teams likely to draft at the top will be intent on getting a franchise QB rather than a pass rusher.

Clowney wouldn't be the first player to hurt himself by taking on the attitude that the rules don't apply to him. He has a ton of talent, but without the motivation to use that talent he becomes just another player on the field. If Clowney had the same drive JJ Watt has, he'd be unstoppable. I recall that many people thought Watt was a reach when Houston took him. Not so much any more.

October 13th, 2013, 8:40 am
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
rao wrote:

I think teams are understanding that if the player lacks personal motivation, it's the single biggest thing that will prevent that player from achieving his potential. Clowney may be talented, but his apparent diva attitude is going to seriously hurt his draft stock. Besides all that, I would have to imagine that the teams likely to draft at the top will be intent on getting a franchise QB rather than a pass rusher.

Clowney wouldn't be the first player to hurt himself by taking on the attitude that the rules don't apply to him. He has a ton of talent, but without the motivation to use that talent he becomes just another player on the field. If Clowney had the same drive JJ Watt has, he'd be unstoppable. I recall that many people thought Watt was a reach when Houston took him. Not so much any more.

I agree with all of this and that's why I say it really depends on his interviews. I am pretty sure that the 1st pick in the next draft will be a QB because there are guys gaining lots of steam right now and it's almost guaranteed to be a needed position on any team that drafts at that spot. The only thing I would say is if say a team like NYG can't get their collective heads out of their Azzs than Clowney really doesn't seem like a long shot for that no.1 spot.

October 13th, 2013, 12:20 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
I agree with all of this and that's why I say it really depends on his interviews. I am pretty sure that the 1st pick in the next draft will be a QB because there are guys gaining lots of steam right now and it's almost guaranteed to be a needed position on any team that drafts at that spot. The only thing I would say is if say a team like NYG can't get their collective heads out of their Azzs than Clowney really doesn't seem like a long shot for that no.1 spot.

I agree, particularly since the Giants love pass rushers and obviously aren't in the market for a QB. However, they may look to improve their offensive line, and someone like Jake Matthews may be their preference. We'll see what happens in April.

October 13th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:

I agree, particularly since the Giants love pass rushers and obviously aren't in the market for a QB. However, they may look to improve their offensive line, and someone like Jake Matthews may be their preference. We'll see what happens in April.

Actually it's May now :D

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

October 13th, 2013, 9:44 pm
RIP Killer

So, we are halfway through the season, the Lions are 5-3 and coming up on a schedule that should see them doubling up that record, at least. Barring any season ending injuries to certain key players (knock on wood) there's no reason the Lions can't end this campaign at 10-6, or better.

That said, we can now begin to look at certain positions and start honestly thinking about where the Lions will need to make some picks in the 2014 draft. One has to imagine that they'll be selecting later in the rounds, so the idea of getting some of the marquis players is ridiculous.

So what positions are seeming to be in need?

For me, it goes this way (in no particular order)

QB - Stafford is ingrained as the starter, and that's not going to change. However, I don't see Shaun Hill being willing to stick around when there are numerous QB hungry teams in the league and he has shown that he can be an effective starter. I don't see Kellen Moore as being a player of the same quality as Hill, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Lions took a late round flyer on a QB....particularly if one fell into the late rounds who has solid athletic skill.

RB - No reason for the Lions to burn a pick on this position. They've got their thunder (Bell) and lightning (Bush) combination, along with Riddick and Owens. LeShoure is going to either be traded or cut.

WR - It is entirely possible that the Lions will look at getting a receiver early in the draft. This team has been snakebit at their most recent second round picks at this position. Unless Corey Fuller really blossoms, I think they may make a selection if a receiver who can take heat off Megatron is there for the picking. Calvin isn't getting any younger, and adding someone who can fill his shoes if he's hurt, or make other teams pay if they give CJ too much attention would make this offense truly unstoppable.

TE - I don't think the Lions have to spend a high pick here, but I do feel they will consider using a mid to late round pick on a player if one of decent quality is available. With Fauria and Michael Williams, they've got their receiver and blocker. I don't know if the Lions will try to retain Pettigrew or not. If he expects to be well paid, I think they say bye-bye. If he is reasonable, they'll probably try to extend him. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing them get a fourth tight end with some good versatility and speed.

OL - I think the Lions need to forget about Jason Fox, and probably take a close look at adding a tackle and/or interior lineman in the draft. They scored gold with Larry Warford. Rob Sims has been sort of inconsistent this season. Raiola is really playing very well, so maybe he has another season or two left in him. Still, if they can get a big, athletic center, they have to make that pick. LaAdrian Waddle can play right tackle, Hilliard can back up both tackle spots, and they can add a late round tackle for depth. If they are going to use a day one or two pick on the offensive line, it should be at the center/guard spot.

DL - I like our starters, and our depth at DE is good. I am wary of our defensive tackle depth. Suh seems like he can play an entire game without coming out and not get winded or see his effectiveness decline. Same can't be said of Nick Fairley. Andre Fluellen has never lived up to his third round draft status, and CJ Mosely is winding down his career. A late round pick here would be warranted.

LB - DeAndre Levy has played a pretty good first half of the season, and has justified the Lions faith in him. Stephen Tulloch has been solid against the run, but is still a liability in coverage. Ashlee Palmer shouldn't be a starter. The Lions should address this position in the draft, and it should be done early. Getting a playmaking outside backer to bookend with Levy would be a stellar upgrade. They need to ensure they get someone who is good in coverage, and is not strictly a run stopper.

CB - Chris Houston has been something of a disappointment, playing erratically at times. Darius Slay may still become a good corner, but I'm not sure he is a shut down type of player. Rashean Mathis adds veteran know how, but his skills are not what they used to be either. Bentley and Green just haven't been that impressive when they've seen the field. Bentley in particular has created a reputation as being a player that likes to grab receivers, and he's been flagged too many times for it already this season. If Slay doesn't seem to be ready to take the #1 corner mantle from Chris Houston, the Lions may have to concentrate their efforts on finding another good, young CB that has the skill set to possibly be that guy for them in the near future.

S - Delmas has remained healthy for the most part, and Glover Quin has been good...but not great. I still think the Lions secondary would benefit greatly from getting a safety who is a coverage style ball hawker. Even if they use that player on passing situations only, it gives the secondary some versatility and different looks that can confuse opposing QBs. There are other teams who will, at times, use a safety as their nickel or dime corner, and the opposing QB is uncertain about the coverage as a result. They either make a mistake or are forced to burn a timeout to discuss the situation with their coach. Not an outstanding need, but it wouldn't be a bad pick in the mid to late rounds, if one is there. Even the idea of taking a speedy CB with some decent size to convert to safety would be worthwhile.

ST - Akers is kicking well, and the Lions scored a gem with Sam Martin. If Muhlbach can continue being the snapper, we should be set here....unless they can find someone who is a real threat as a returner. Still waiting for that guy to show up in our training camp.....and not get cut, only to be a star for another team.

October 28th, 2013, 9:57 am
Varsity Captain

What ever became of Hakim Osgood? Great STer last year.

October 28th, 2013, 10:08 am
RIP Killer

Boz wrote:
What ever became of Hakim Osgood? Great STer last year.

Great? I guess that's subject to personal opinion. Osgood was something like 32 or 33 years old, and never really did become that impact guy on ST that the Lions envisioned when they signed him.

And his first name is Kassim, not Hakim.

October 28th, 2013, 11:51 am
Team MVP

Good write-up M2k.

I think, unless we make a trade by tomorrow, this team has to address WR in the first or second round. Like you said, Calvin is nearing 30 and it might be time to find someone who can EVENTUALLY fill his role but currently be our #2 guy. Not by any means is Calvin declining. Calvin seems like hes always in the injury report, but always plays. Which why I was shocked to see him sit the GB game. Well it happened and our offense was nothing without him. We have to get someone that can take over if hes out or like you said make a team pay for giving him too much attention.

If not a WR, id like to see an OLB. Getting a good SLB should make our linebacking unit pretty solid.

At this point, Im not sure who they could get where they might be picking. Right now we would be picking 22, but thatll obviously change. Id like to see a trade up, honestly. Most would disagree with me, but if a player is there that they know could make an instant impact on either O or D, why not move up?

October 28th, 2013, 2:52 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
Good write-up M2k.

I think, unless we make a trade by tomorrow, this team has to address WR in the first or second round. Like you said, Calvin is nearing 30 and it might be time to find someone who can EVENTUALLY fill his role but currently be our #2 guy. Not by any means is Calvin declining. Calvin seems like hes always in the injury report, but always plays. Which why I was shocked to see him sit the GB game. Well it happened and our offense was nothing without him. We have to get someone that can take over if hes out or like you said make a team pay for giving him too much attention.

If not a WR, id like to see an OLB. Getting a good SLB should make our linebacking unit pretty solid.

At this point, Im not sure who they could get where they might be picking. Right now we would be picking 22, but thatll obviously change. Id like to see a trade up, honestly. Most would disagree with me, but if a player is there that they know could make an instant impact on either O or D, why not move up?

Thanks.

In years past, where moving up just a few spots would cost you a number of picks, it seems these past couple years since the new CBA the cost of moving up from the last third of the round to the middle portion hasn't been all that costly. In this past draft, the 49ers moved from picking 31 to picking 18 and gave the Cowboys just a 3rd round pick in return. Miami moved from picking 12th to picking 3rd in the first round for just a second round pick. That would have cost at least at least that second rounder, plus an additional second or first rounder in years past.

With the Lions being so close to being a truly perennial playoff team (so it seems) and having a roster with a pretty good core of talent, moving up to get a quality missing piece would make sense. Problem is, I still don't trust Mayhew to identify that quality at all times. His second round picks have been just atrocious until Slay. Delmas was good, but at 33 he's pretty much a first rounder he fell. If you throw Jahvid Best into that mix, you can see where my concern comes from. I agree that his first round picks have been pretty good until now. But his second selections, regardless of round, have been either flat out busts, or not really worth their draft status. Pettigrew was a good pick, but I still question his first round draft status.

HIs third round picks haven't been all that great either. DeAndre Levy has been good this season, but not all that impressive to this point in his career. Derrick Williams? Amari Spievey? Both busts. Bill Bentley? He seems to regress every time I watch him play. Warford seems to be a slam-dunk pick though.

Well.....we'll see how things play out.

October 28th, 2013, 4:26 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Good write-up M2k.

Thanks.

In years past, where moving up just a few spots would cost you a number of picks, it seems these past couple years since the new CBA the cost of moving up from the last third of the round to the middle portion hasn't been all that costly. In this past draft, the 49ers moved from picking 31 to picking 18 and gave the Cowboys just a 3rd round pick in return. Miami moved from picking 12th to picking 3rd in the first round for just a second round pick. That would have cost at least at least that second rounder, plus an additional second or first rounder in years past.

With the Lions being so close to being a truly perennial playoff team (so it seems) and having a roster with a pretty good core of talent, moving up to get a quality missing piece would make sense. Problem is, I still don't trust Mayhew to identify that quality at all times. His second round picks have been just atrocious until Slay. Delmas was good, but at 33 he's pretty much a first rounder he fell. If you throw Jahvid Best into that mix, you can see where my concern comes from. I agree that his first round picks have been pretty good until now. But his second selections, regardless of round, have been either flat out busts, or not really worth their draft status. Pettigrew was a good pick, but I still question his first round draft status.

HIs third round picks haven't been all that great either. DeAndre Levy has been good this season, but not all that impressive to this point in his career. Derrick Williams? Amari Spievey? Both busts. Bill Bentley? He seems to regress every time I watch him play. Warford seems to be a slam-dunk pick though.

Well.....we'll see how things play out.

If Mayhew knew how to draft we wouldn't be searching for a missing piece. No offense m2k, but saying " I still don't trust Mayhew to identify that quality at all times " to me is an understatement. His inability to identify quality players of solid character is inexcusable. The lack of quality depth on the Lions is directly affected by his shortcomings. Every time I look at his mistakes I think of how much better we could be if there was somebody that had a clue making our selections. Since he has been in charge he has missed on multiple opportunities to improve the talent base. What follows is my list of his blunders on draft day, imo.

2009- Pettigrew was a reach at that point in the 1st round. The same for Levy in the 3rd, (although, I agree he is playing MUCH better this year). Derrick Williams in the 3rd, ouch!

2010- Best in the 1st, Spievey in the 3rd, and Fox in the 4th.

2011- Young in the 2nd, Leshoure in the 2nd, Hogue in the 5th.

2012- Broyles in the 2nd (big reach), Bentley in the 3rd (although he may still improve), Ronnell Lewis in the 4th.

Now for the 2013 draft. Initially it appears that he may have FINALLY got it right, Ansah, Slay, Warford, Taylor, Martin.
They could all turn out to be good picks. Too soon to say.

October 29th, 2013, 11:07 am
RIP Killer

liontrax wrote:
If Mayhew knew how to draft we wouldn't be searching for a missing piece. No offense m2k, but saying " I still don't trust Mayhew to identify that quality at all times " to me is an understatement. His inability to identify quality players of solid character is inexcusable. The lack of quality depth on the Lions is directly affected by his shortcomings. Every time I look at his mistakes I think of how much better we could be if there was somebody that had a clue making our selections. Since he has been in charge he has missed on multiple opportunities to improve the talent base. What follows is my list of his blunders on draft day, imo.

2009- Pettigrew was a reach at that point in the 1st round. The same for Levy in the 3rd, (although, I agree he is playing MUCH better this year). Derrick Williams in the 3rd, ouch!

2010- Best in the 1st, Spievey in the 3rd, and Fox in the 4th.

2011- Young in the 2nd, Leshoure in the 2nd, Hogue in the 5th.

2012- Broyles in the 2nd (big reach), Bentley in the 3rd (although he may still improve), Ronnell Lewis in the 4th.

Now for the 2013 draft. Initially it appears that he may have FINALLY got it right, Ansah, Slay, Warford, Taylor, Martin.
They could all turn out to be good picks. Too soon to say.

You aren't offending me, by any means. How can you offend me by pretty much agreeing with me? LOL.

However, I do want to point out a couple things:

1) Brandon Pettigrew was actually NOT a reach at the time of the pick. He was viewed by a host of draft experts as being far and away the best overall tight end prospect in that draft. Many felt he would go in the top 15 picks, most likely to Buffalo at number 11. So, calling him a reach of a pick is pretty unfair. That said, I have never been a big proponent of selecting tight ends in the first round. Unless you are looking at a very unique and special player like Tony Gonzalez, Jimmy Graham or Antonio Gates, you simply don't use the pick on that position. At that point in the draft, I was looking at the Lions to go with either James Laurinaitis or maybe Vontae Davis (didn't like his off field issues though), or maybe Michael Oher.

2) Every team has players that they pick that don't pan out. The most magnified are, of course, the first round picks. Other teams have struggled these past few seasons to nail every first round selection. I think Mayhew pretty much has. His picks afterward need to be refined, particularly in the second and third rounds. I don't consider fourth round picks and beyond that don't work out to be 'busts'. Those players are typically developmental guys who either are willing to work hard and make themselves good, or they are just looking to get by and most often do not.

It's easy for us to look back and say 'woulda, coulda, shoulda'. I have been keeping track of the NFL draft, who I wanted picked at the Lions spot, and who they have picked, since the 1999 draft. Lord knows, I've been wrong a bunch of times. I've also had some good reads on guys the Lions passed on, when it would have been to their benefit to pick the guy I wanted instead of the guy they did. Hindsight is 20/20.

I feel your disappointment. Some of the Mayhew picks I've come away scratching my head. Ryan Broyles, as I've stated previously, was a player I liked, but not until the fourth round. As for the Lions taking guys with issues....I agree, they've whiffed on that front. But remember, the Lions have passed on other players with off field issues, and those guys have turned out to be productive for other teams. Jimmy Smith, Janoris Jenkins, Justin Houston, LeGarrette Blount...just to name a few, were all players the Lions chose to not pick, despite needs at their respective positions, and those guys are playing pretty well, for the most part.

Besides, things could be worse. The mustache could still be running the show. Take a look at his draft record and try not to throw up.

October 29th, 2013, 1:11 pm
NFL Veteran

I still wish people would stop talking about Broyles like his pick in the 2nd round was a big reach. The guy was a 2nd round talent after his junior season in OK and would have been a borderline 1st rounder if he hadn't got the injury given the pretty weak WR class. The Lions medical staff decided his reconstructed knee looked solid and they took him in the bottom 3rd of the 2nd round. The medical staff wasn't really wrong on his knee either, he just turned out to be injury prone. He was still projected to be a 3rd round pick that year post injury and I doubt he would have even made it to the Lions in the 3rd.

Leshoure also wasn't a bad pick at the time and was predicted in some places to be a 2nd round pick. He had great size and 4.5 speed with all the talk before his injury that he was as advertised. Fox was another guy drafted right where he should have been and was a good pick that just didn't end up working out.

This is another situation of people just throwing stuff onto the pile unfairly. Mayhew has made some head scratchers and should be questioned about it, but just because a player ends up busting doesn't mean he made a bad pick. No players are sure things and a lot of times the good picks still turn into bad players once they get on the field.

October 29th, 2013, 3:19 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

but Broyles WAS a reach. he might have had tallent, and a ton of potential. but he was hurt and not going to start the season. that alone drops draft stock (or at least should). If we didnt take him I seriously doubt anyone else would have untill at least the 3rd.

Leshour I will agree with you on. he was one of the "steals of the draft" until he got hurt. thats no ones fault. but Broyles CAME IN hurt.

October 29th, 2013, 5:22 pm
RIP Killer

rao wrote:
I still wish people would stop talking about Broyles like his pick in the 2nd round was a big reach. The guy was a 2nd round talent after his junior season in OK and would have been a borderline 1st rounder if he hadn't got the injury given the pretty weak WR class. The Lions medical staff decided his reconstructed knee looked solid and they took him in the bottom 3rd of the 2nd round. The medical staff wasn't really wrong on his knee either, he just turned out to be injury prone. He was still projected to be a 3rd round pick that year post injury and I doubt he would have even made it to the Lions in the 3rd.

Leshoure also wasn't a bad pick at the time and was predicted in some places to be a 2nd round pick. He had great size and 4.5 speed with all the talk before his injury that he was as advertised. Fox was another guy drafted right where he should have been and was a good pick that just didn't end up working out.

This is another situation of people just throwing stuff onto the pile unfairly. Mayhew has made some head scratchers and should be questioned about it, but just because a player ends up busting doesn't mean he made a bad pick. No players are sure things and a lot of times the good picks still turn into bad players once they get on the field.

You can't simply dismiss his senior season injury. It's like saying that teams should forget about how poorly Jake Locker played in his senior season, because he was certain to be the first overall pick if he would have entered the draft after his junior season. Same thing with Jadeveon Clowney. Should teams just disregard his 2013 season because of how good he was last year?

Ryan Broyles was unable to work out for teams before AND after the draft. The Lions selected him based on his college body of work, which due to his senior season injury was incomplete, but definitely noteworthy to that point. BUT, it doesn't mean he was worth a second round pick. Teams knew he wasn't that fast, and his stature wasn't ideal. Short and fast can be worked with, slow and tall can be worked with. Short and less than fast is tough. Broyles excelled at the collegiate level because of his instincts, his quickness out of his breaks, and superior hands and route running skills. His leg injuries have hurt his quickness out of breaks, and it will bring down his top end speed, which wasn't that spectacular to begin with.

So, while you may think he was a solid second round prospect, I'd have to disagree with you. I wanted the Lions to get him in that draft, but thought he was worth a fourth rounder at best.

I understand what you are saying about not being able to predict injuries. But without Broyles being able to work out, that second round pick seemed more to be a hope and a prayer than anything else. There were plenty of other players available at positions of need, or even at WR, that WERE able to work out and had pretty good college careers as well.

If Broyles can come back, stay healthy, and be productive I'll be happy to eat the crow that is served. Until then, the Lions gambled and lost. He is, in my book, officially a bust until he proves otherwise. I don't think the pick was terrible, or that it should cost Mayhew his job. But Mayhew's track record of picks taken second, third or fourth in the draft, within the top 100 picks, is pretty piss poor. He is responsible for the roster of this team, and for those draft picks. Whether they don't work out due to off field issues that he knew about, or whether they don't work out because of freak injuries that pile up over time, or whether they don't work out because the player has no internal motiviation.....Mayhew IS responsible for that hurting the remainder of the team. That's part of the job.

October 29th, 2013, 6:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next